Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Long years have passed since Olmec's sleep was last disturbed, and in that time tales of the Hidden Temple have faded from time and memory. Yet those words of those treasured stories of plunderers plundering storied treasures still echo in the winds of distant mountains and weigh upon the pages of ancient tomes. And where haunting winds blow and tattered pages rustle there are bound to be open ears and eager eyes, belonging to plucky adventurers who would once again explore hallowed halls, discover glimmering artifacts... or perhaps merely uncover new and exciting ways of dying.

You are such an adventurer, just one in a band of several bold glory seekers. Perhaps you were an archaeologist in what will soon feel like a pat life, always chafing at the constraints of academics declaring in haughty tones that indeed, all the true temples have been found. Or perhaps you were a raider of the meager crypts that pass for tombs these days, always picturing a golden hoard at the end that never arrived. Maybe you simply heard a vague rumor from your cousin's rabbi's drug dealer's maid, some half-crazed fever dream of secret cults and stone deities that compelled you to risk your life on a mad gambit. Whatever the reason, it is about to become irrelevant.

Your old life, just like the life of the adventurers before you, is now history.

Either you'll walk out of the Temple reborn, wealthier beyond your wildest dreams, and shrouded in glory. Or you'll walk out of it not at all, doomed to be just another skeleton hunched against unlit walls, a meager warning against your same follies.

The Temple awaits you. Do you dare enter?

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Welcome!! This is a Mafia game for 12 players.

The setup is as follows:

- 8 Town Adventurers, 4 Scum Temple Guards
- Nightless game. The Temple Guards don't have a kill in this game!
- 6 mason teams. Every player has a mason buddy.
- Executions work on the Duel system. At any point during the day, a player may ##challenge another team to a duel. Once a challenge has been issued, only players on either of the two teams involved in the duel may be executed.

The game ends when all the Temple Guards have been executed, or when the Adventurers no longer outnumber the Temple Guards.

All standard rules apply. No toxxing, editing posts, etc. I will replace lurkers swiftly. Don't be an rear end in a top hat!!

Deadline executions will be decided by plurality vote; whoever has the most votes at the time will be executed. In the event of a tie, the person who reached the tied votecount first will be executed. If the tied votecount was reached via a player unvoting the vote leader, then the former vote leader will still be executed.

This game is based on the original Legends of the Hidden Temple setup by 50 pounds of bread.

---

:siren: This game is OOT-communication heavy!! :siren: Ideally you should have some way to instant message your buddy like over IRC or gtalk or Facebook or Steam or discord or whatever you kids are using these days. I know people like using google docs, but it’s just not the same without instant chatting!

You are welcome and encouraged to post your mason chatlogs in the thread if you think it will be relevant to the game.

Because I want you guys to talk with your buddies, I'm allowing you to sign up with a mason buddy if you want. But remember that your buddy may not share your alignment! Be careful playing with someone you might be helpless to trust!

Remember that your buddy has the same 1 in 3 chance of being scum as anyone else's. But also remember that two-thirds of the time your mason buddy will be a townie too! Use the perspective of your partner to help you work through the game.

All alignment assignments will be random. A team could be made up of no, one, or two Temple Guards depending on the RNG. Keep this in mind when playing.

------

Please sign up with your preference of teams and whether or not you have PMs. I really greatly prefer PMs for role communication but it’s not necessary for this game.

PLAYERLIST

Red Jaguars
1. Jonathan Fisk, town adventurer, drowned crossing the Moat on Day 1
2. Pinterest Mom
Blue Barracudas
3. Sandwolf, town adventurer, fried his skull in the Observatory on Day 5
4. Jamuraan
Green Monkeys
5. Mr. F!
6. Retro Futurist, Temple Guard, triggered the wrong bridge trap in the Pit on Day 4
Orange Iguanas
7. Kashuno, town adventurer, impaled climbing the Steps on Day 2
8. Hal Incandenza
Purple Parrots
9. Bifauxen
10. Moatillata, town adventurer, suffocated in the Crypts on Day 3
Silver Snakes
11. Podima
12. Max

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 4, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What team?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jamuraan posted:

I've never played in one of these.

Sign me up.

Nice! Team preference?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One spot left. Since Jammy didn't call a team yet it's up to whoever joins next whether they want to be a Barracuda or a Parrot.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

And that's our twelve. By process of elimination Jamuraan is a Blue Barracuda along with areyoucontagious.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll be sending out PMs soon. The town PM will look like this:

quote:

You are vanilla town.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

After a long trek through careful jungle valleys, your adventurer band soon found the drug dealer's maid's great grandfather's hut, just where she said it would be. The sour old man's face grew yet more puckered once he'd appraised the ragtag travelers with you. After some careful translating, however, your group persuaded him to yield the secret location of the lost trail that would lead to the Hidden Temple.

Reluctantly, the man now leads you along the brushy path. The vegetation is so thick here that you are forced to walk single file, and even then you find yourself getting scraped and jabbed by countless branches. Soon the twists and turns remove any sense of moving in a consistent direction. Steadily the vegetation thickens, crushing all outside light sources into tiny slivers that can only be visible from certain angles. Unspoken among your fellows is the worry that, now that you have embarked on this trail, you might never leave it. But before anyone can voice this horrifying sentiment, light breaks through once again and you find yourself on the edge of a field or clearing.

No, not a clearing, you quickly realize. A moat.

The old man who accompanied you earlier now shuffles nervously. "The rest is left to you," the translator provides for him. "Cross the Moat and you will soon find the Hidden Temple you seek. But be warned..." Your translator falls short for a bit as the man attempts to explain something. "Guards hidden in plain sight... demons made of stone..." Your translator cannot get much further, and eventually the man shakes his head in frustration. "May you survive your doom," he says ominously has he departs into the tunnel of foliage he led you through.

"What now?" someone asks hesitantly. You all glance nervously at each other. The relief at escaping your earlier confinement was short-lived, and now a low dread takes its place. Small bubbles rise from the water, an ominous sign of danger to come. Who among you will dare to ##challenge the moat?

It is now Day 1. With 12 alive, it takes 7 to execute.

Note that while votefinder will still count votes, no votes will be officially counted until a challenge has been declared.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

:ghost: hey gently caress you TNL I'm the one who blackmailed you to do this :ghost:

2slow. (also I forgot sorry!!!!!!)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

##challenge silver snakes

I think taste is scum, challenging a team of two people I don't think will get dunked over him.

:siren: The Red Jaguars have challenged the Silver Snakes!! :siren:

Only votes on Pinterest Mom, Jonathan Fisk, Max, and Podima will count for today.

The deadline is on Thursday, June 22 at 7:30pm PST. If nobody has been hammered by then, the execution will be decided by plurality vote. (In the event of a tie, the first person to have reached the tied number will be executed.)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm looking for a replacement this game. First dibs have been offered to Sandwolf.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

AYC has been replaced by Sandwolf.

I can't update votefinder right now so please keep an eye on his vote.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It does not take long for a plucky challenger to step up. "Back in college I was the national swim champion!" declares Pinterest Mom. "This will be easy work for me! Just send me across and I can tie a rope to the other end of the moat. If there's danger you all can build a raft and pull yourselves across with the rope!"

Jonathan Fisk is not so easily impressed. "Swimming? Pah! Only an amateur adventurer would think that's a skill worth bragging about!"

Pinterest Mom scoffs. "If you think swimming is so easy, let's make a race of it!"

"You're on!" says Fisk. "I'll leave you in the dust and put an end to your gloating for good!"

The rest of the adventurers eye each other with wordless apprehension. Aren't Fisk and Pinterest Mom members of the same adventuring team? None of you can quite comprehend the sudden animosity that has flared between them.

"If we're going to do this, let's do it right," Pinterest Mom declares. "Official college rules! Four swimmers total! You, and you!" he says, pointing to the two adventurers named the Silver Snakes. "You look like you'll make for some good competition! Let's do this!"

The Silver Snakes exchange a look and both shrug. "I'm game," says Max.

"Haven't lost a race yet," Podima agrees with confidence.

"Right then. Let's go, on your mark!" Pinterest Mom says, already crouching into a diver's stance. "I can't wait to shut up Jonathan Fisk for good!" The others line up to the shore and look for your signal. You give a countdown and at zero they're off!

Pinterest Mom takes an early lead, with Max and Podima hot on his heels. But something seems wrong with the way Fisk is swimming. Compared to the smooth strokes of Pinterest Mom and the others, Fisk's movements are jerky and flailing, and he clearly struggles to stay above water. "Looks like the man can't swim at all!" someone laughs upon the shore. "So much for his boasting!"

But then you spot it. As Fisk's left leg kicks out of the water, you notice something protruding from his calf. A small wooden shaft, too small to be an arrow. A dart...? When did that get there?

The race all but forgotten, you and the others on the shore stare as Fisk's struggles turn wild. By the time you make the decision to swim after him, it's already too late. Fisk's flailing ceases entirely, and you watch in horror as the man bobs facedown atop the water.

"I win!" cries Pinterest Mom on the other side, beaming from ear to ear. "i guess Fisk wasn't such a great swimmer after all!!"

Jonathan Fisk, town adventurer, has drowned attempting to cross the Moat.

It is now Day 2. With 11 alive, it takes 6 votes to execute.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Please don't table break. I'll give you permission to edit that post Kashuno.

edit: may just be my zoomed in SA so don't worry about it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There is no night phase in this game. No night kill.

I request that people don't post between the hammer and my flip, but otherwise if the thread is open you may post freely.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

:siren: The Blue Barracudas have challenged the Orange Iguanas! :siren:

Only Sandwolf, Jamuraan, Hal Incandenza and Kashuno may be voted today.

Deadline will be Sunday at 5pm Pacific so that nobody has to deal with a Saturday deadline. As always feel free to end the day early!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm also working on a mega post, hopefully you guys will get to see it on or before 5pm on Sunday.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Once all of you are satisfied that no dangers lurk in the Moat, you and the other travelers wade across and, after traversing yet another, shorter path through the vegetation, you finally discover the Steps of the Hidden Temple:

“I had no idea it was so tall!” cries Sandwolf near the front of the group. Sure enough, you are all impressed by the towering height of the Temple. You weren’t quite sure what to expect when you got here, but it certainly wasn’t this.

Kashuno glances up the tower. “Is it just me or are there openings near the top?” he says. “I think it’d be trivial to climb up there. Maybe we can just skip to the top, and dodge all the traps that might hide inside.”

Jamuraan sneers. “What do you know about traps?” he cries. “Nobody said anything about traps. Do you know something we don’t?” Unspoken among the group is the gnawing paranoia that a traitor, or several traitors, hides among your group. Where else could that dart have come from?

Hal Incandenza does not appear worried. “It’s only natural that there would be traps in an ancient temple designed for storing treasure. And I’d like to skip them if possible.”

Your group ponders the sight before you. Steps lead into a first floor entrance, but several other entrances can be seen going all the way up, framed by ledges that look like they could be grappled easily. No obvious traps are visible… but they wouldn’t be obvious, would they?

Finally it is Kashuno who breaks the silent contemplation. “gently caress it, I’m going right up to the top. You can all stay down here if you like.” And before anyone can speak up or stop him, he takes off sprinting up the steps. You all wait for a boulder to fall on him, or a pressure plate to trigger a hail of arrows, but nothing happens. Kashuno stands next to the entrance grinning.

What happens next will surely feature into your nightmares forever more, assuming you live long enough to have any.

Kashuno places his hands against the wall and jumps up, grabbing the ledge that marks the entrance to the Temple’s second level. With a grunt, he pulls his chest up above the edge, but before he can climb all the way up he spasms and makes a sickly sound, and a brilliant crimson stream jets from the middle of his back, spraying into the air and splattering the steps before you. A bright silver spike juts from his back and drips dark oozing gore, suspending him in the air for several speechless moments. Then the spike slowly retracts, and Kashuno falls to the ground in front of the entrance in a motionless heap.

“I think I’ll try my luck with the traps inside,” someone finally says. The rest of you are too horrified to respond.

Kashuno, town adventurer, has been impaled by spikes on the Steps of the Temple.

It is now Day 3. With 10 alive, it takes 6 votes to execute.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 26, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've sent Mr. F! a private prodding; consider this a public one.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

:siren: The Purple Parrots have challenged the Green Monkeys!!!! :siren:

You may only vote for Bifauxnen, Moatillata, Mr. F! and Retro Futurist today.

The deadline has been set for Tuesday, June 27th at 6:00pm Pacific. That's a little more than 48 hours from now. Get posting!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Leaving behind the grisly corpse of Kashuno, you and your fellow adventurers step into the dark entrance of the Temple… and enter what looks to be a ground-level Crypt.

Sarcophagi line the edges of the room, which does not have a visible exit. You and the others begin poking around, and soon discover that all but four of the stone sarcophagi are completely sealed. All four of the unsealed boxes stand in the center of the room, opposite a curiously bare and featureless wall.

“This seems like an obvious puzzle,” says Bifauxnen, peering inside one of them. To everyone’s disappointment, there is no treasure to be found inside, but Bifauxnen spots a button and presses it experimentally. Sounds of stone grinding against stone can be heard from the bare wall, but there is no movement.

“Four open caskets. Four buttons?” asks Mr. F. Sure enough, each of the open boxes has a button inside it.

Coordinating together, the Purple Parrots and Green Monkeys press all four buttons at the same time. Dust kicks up from the ground, and the grinding noise increases in volume, but nothing else happens.

“I think we need to put more weight on the buttons,” says Retro Futurist. “I’m guessing we’re supposed to get inside…”

“Hell no! I’m not climbing inside one of those!” cries Moatillata. “I can smell an obvious trap from a mile away!”

“Stop being such a coward,” says Bifauxnen, already halfway inside her sarcophagus. Mr F and Retro Futurist both follow suit, and reluctantly Moatillata does too.

This time the wall definitely moves… but not by much. You can just barely see a newly formed gap below the wall, maybe six inches tall. You think about wedging it with something, but decide you want your hands nowhere near the weighty stone should it collapse again.

“I think we may need to lie down inside these,” suggests Mr. F. Slowly the four adventurers recede into the depths of their caskets, disappearing from sight. It seems to do the trick; the wall slides up steadily until it has risen to the ceiling, exposing a dark passageway within.

“Did it work?” says Moatillata from inside his sarcophagus. He never gets the opportunity to hear an answer. A loud crack thunders from his position, and as you rush over you discover that a stone lid has slid over him, trapping him inside. You hear a thumping commotion from inside the box, but despite your best efforts and most durable tools, none of you can make the slightest dent into the stone, or move the lid even a little.

Helpless, you all listen as the thumping from within the casket ceases.

Moatillata, town adventurer, has suffocated to death inside the Crypt.

"We're doomed," someone mutters. You cannot help but agree.

It is now Day 4. With 9 alive it takes 5 votes to execute.

:siren: This day is EXECUTE OR LOSE!! If an all-town challenge occurs, the Temple Guards will instantly win the game. :siren:

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 28, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I normally don't have a problem with ninja editing, but that's a fairly substantial edit. Consider this a very firm warning not to do that again.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Please don't make me have to set a challenge deadline.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Silver Snakes have challenged the Green Monkeys!

Only Max, Podima, Mr. F and Retro Futurist may be voted today.

Deadline is at 6:00 pm Pacific on Friday, June 30th.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

As a heads up, I will be out of town this weekend and some of next week, with sporadic computer access and probably not a ton of sobriety. There's a fair chance I won't be around either for Friday's deadline or for subsequent challenges and deadlines (if the game continues).

I want to make sure you guys get timely flips without compromising on the flavor, so I'll see what I can do, but in the meantime I ask that you guys respect the following:
- Stop posting if a hammer falls
- Treat the deadline as a hammer and try not to post after it
- Don't flip yourselves or announce the end of the game, leave that to me!!

Thank you. Also if there's any spectator reading who would like to lend a hand with this please PM me! edit: thanks Moat!!!!

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 29, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Flavor and flip will be up shortly, thanks for your patience.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The opened passage leads to a set of spiral stairs. You all cautiously approach the steps, but your paranoia for once proves unnecessary and you all safely ascend to the next level. This time the passage opens up into a room with a dark Pit. A rotting rope bridge suspends across the Pit, swaying gently from a breeze you cannot feel yet.

Peering over the edge, you can just barely see the Crypt far below. But you’re relatively certain that room had a ceiling, and you couldn’t have climbed more than a story or two from the staircase either.

Max is more vocal about his apprehensions. “This doesn’t make any bleeding sense!” he exclaims. “I tracked our progress from the entrance and there is simply no physical way this room could exist where it does now.”

Mr. F takes a more casual stance. “Who knows what secrets of geometry were held by these ancient builders? Anyway, we just need to cross that bridge and it won’t be a problem.”

“Are you claiming geometry works differently here?” says Retro Futurist. “Perhaps you’ve inhaled some fumes from that sarcophagus downstairs.”

Podima examines the walls. “Perhaps something shifted while we climbed the stairs,” he suggests, “Like maybe the ceiling retracted.”

“More traps and tricks,” says Max in frustration.

“Let’s just do our best and continue on,” says Mr. F. He is the first to step onto the bridge, carefully placing his weight on each plank as he steps. “It’s windy out here!” he says halfway across. No harm seems to come to him, and he safely reaches the other side.

One by one you all begin to step onto the bridge. Despite its appearance, the bridge seems sturdy enough; even with the weight of your whole group, the only noticeable change is a more pronounced swinging from the wind gusting across the open gap.

You’re about halfway across when you hear the soft sound of a blade leaving its sheath from behind you. Spinning around, you see a glint in the air from one of the adventurers behind you. It’s Retro Futurist, who has hung back until everyone else began crossing.

Without saying a word, Retro Futurist brings his knife down and begins sawing at one of the ropes holding the bridge up. You cry out, and he spins to you with an excited gleam in his eye. “So long,” he mouths silently at you, and snaps the rope.

Amazingly, the bridge holds, thanks to some well-placed foundational ropes. Retro Futurist looks dumbstruck. “Did I saw in the wrong place?” he says with a dazed expression. “Or was it a few more feet down?” Then the plank from under him drops out, and you hear his screaming cut short by a wet splat on the ground.

Retro Futurist, Temple Guard, accidentally triggered the wrong booby trap in the Pit on Day 4.

Safely on the other side of the Pit, you all ponder just how close you all came to certain doom. If the previous deaths weren’t enough proof of sabotage among your ranks, you know now for certain that some of your comrades may be leading you into your doom.

It is now Day 5. With 8 alive it takes 5 votes to execute.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My personal opinion is that if you can make changes to your post that will improve its readability then you should absolutely do so within the window of a ninja.

However in this case I think Magnus has clearly violated the Don't Be An rear end in a top hat rule, flaunting the spirit of the editing rule to antagonize another player. I already warned about making substantial changes to posts even if it is within the 2 minute mark. The core reason we have an edit rule in Mafia is so that you cannot un-say things that have been said in the thread.

I really just want to enjoy my vacations and not have to modkill somebody for making a ninja edit which is something I do all the time. So I'm going to give Magnus a separate warning for being an rear end in a top hat and making me handle this on my Friday night.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat! Please try to finish the game without forcing me into modkilling one of you. If you have strong opinions about this decision PM me about it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's a holiday weekend here in the US so please feel free to take it easy and enjoy your weekend, but to keep the game moving, if there no challenge issued by 5pm Pacific tomorrow I'll be rolling two dice and setting a challenge that way.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

:siren: The Silver Snakes have challenged the Blue Barracudas! :siren:

Podima, Max, Sandwolf and Jamuraan may be voted for today.

Deadline is Monday, July 3rd at 6pm pacific.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jamuraan posted:

Cool 2 full days, both of them weekends, to make sure we DISCUSS THIS and come to a true consensus.

Monday is not a weekend!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Today is another day where I'll probably be too busy to post another flip. How do you guys feel about a deadline extension?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ehh I think I can work something out. Deadline stays at 6pm today, or about five and a half hours.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Votecount for Day 5

Sandwolf (5): Podima, Max, Bifauxnen, Pinterest Mom, Hal Incandenza
Max (3): Sandwolf, Mr. F!, Jamuraan

Not Voting (0):

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ascending yet another flight of stairs, you emerge into a room awash with sunlight. A long cylindrical tube stands on a balcony at the room’s other end, suggesting that this room may have been an Observatory of some kind.

Once again there is no apparent exit, and once again your group’s caution for traps proves unnecessary, at least for as long as it takes you all to cross the room and reach the object, which more obviously appears to be a telescope.

“Ooh! Let me look inside the telescope!” cries Sandwolf, flush with energy and the lingering adrenaline from surviving near-certain doom just one floor earlier. He runs to the eyepiece and peers inside, only to lift his head up with distaste. “The lens is so blurry, you can’t see anything.”

“Could just be out of focus,” says Max. “See how there are ridged edges on the telescope? I’ll bet if you rotate them, the edges line up and allow the telescope to be used.”

Jamuraan leers at Max. “How do you all of a sudden know all about this telescope’s mechanics? It’s as if you’ve seen the device before…”

Podima shrugs. “Someone’s clearly never explored an ancient tomb before. Devices like these were all the rage three thousand years ago.”

“Whatever,” says Sandwolf, already impatient to move on. “Just adjust the lenses and I’ll let you know when it clears up.” He kneels over to the eyepiece and looks expectantly at the others.

Max, Podima and Jamuraan rush over to the telescope and slowly begin to rotate the various dials and settings. “Yes, yes…” Sandwolf says in encouragement, or sometimes, “No, you went too far.” They look to him for feedback, and eventually they hear him gasp. “YES! It looks so clear now! So… so… bright…”

A twitching ripple passes through Sandwolf’s body, but he continues to gaze into the telescope. “Are you okay?” someone asks Sandwolf, but he does not reply, clearly transfixed by whatever he is looking at. Or so you believe, up until you see the back of his head split open and emit a bright beam of light. Smoke and the scent of charred meat fills the room, mitigated only slightly by the open balcony.

All of you are too busy to stare at Sandwolf’s fried skull to notice the beam of light strike on a pressure pad against the far wall, opening another stairway up.

Sandwolf, town adventurer, had his brain scorched out by a focused beam of light in the Observatory.

Once again a feeling of helplessness settles over your group. But there is no time for mourning. There may not be much time for anything at all now.

It is now Day 6. With 7 alive, it takes 4 votes to execute.

It is once again :siren: EXECUTE OR LOSE!!! :siren: If an all-town challenge occurs today, the game will instantly end in a Temple Guard victory!!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Blue Barracudas have challenged the Silver Snakes!

Deadline at 6pm Wednesday.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Flavor and flip tomorrow, sorry.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Flavor and flip tomorrow, sorry.

Happy fourth of July!!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

After climbing another spiralling staircase, for what feels like several floors, you finally arrive in a columned room, with a throne standing at the far end. Appropriately, you and your companions quickly name this the Throne Room.

Openings line the walls, casting solid streaks of sunlight across the hanging dust. Apart from the throne itself, the room contains no other distinct features. Carefully, your group approaches the throne, upon which rests a golden crown, itself bathed in sunlight from a nearby gap in the wall.

You discuss what the puzzle (or trap) may be with this crown for a short while, but Jamuraan stands apart from the others, with tears in his eyes and a bitter scowl on his face. Suddenly he erupts. “Why are we even talking about this? It’s obvious we’re just going to be played by the other saboteurs in this group. Like Max!” he cries, pointing at the accused adventurer with a quivering hand.

Max takes a step back, his hand held to his chest. “Me!?” he says incredulously. “What did I do except be helpful to the expedition at every turn?”

“You killed Sandwolf!” says Jamuraan, and his fallen partner’s name echoes for a moment against the walls. “It was you who told the others to focus that lens on him! You knew what would happen!”

“I was just trying to get to the next room!” Max retorts. “It’s not my fault your partner saw a tube pointing outward and immediately thought ‘telescope!’”

Both Max and Jamuraan have their swords drawn now. Podima’s sword is also out, and he stands next to his fellow Silver Snake in solidarity.

“Two against one? You scoundrel!” Jamuraan steps back, but with the look of an animal crouching before a strike. “Podima, how could you let him manipulate you like this?”

Podima considers for a moment. “You’re right,” he says finally, and to everyone’s disbelief, steps across to stand with Jamuraan instead. Max’s eyes grow wide with horror and belated comprehension, but before he can reply Jamuraan advances on him and stabs him through the chest.

“Thank you for seeing reason!” Jamuraan says, turning to Podima as he wipes down his blade.

“No problem,” Podima says, smiling widely. He offers his hand out to Jamuraan as if to shake his hand, but when Jamurann reaches for him, Podima pulls him in for an embrace instead.

You walk over to Max, still clutching his stab wound. Bending over, you look him in the eyes for some spark of lingering evil. Instead, Max’s eyes dart behind you, and he feebly raises a trembling finger to point at something. You turn, and see...

...Mr. F, clutching his neck to prevent the red stream spewing from it, rasping “I just wanted to be a ninja… a ninja...”

...Pinterest Mom, staring at the spearpoint jutting out from his heart, a dazed expression on his face. “Ok,” he says, slumping down to the ground…

...Jamuraan, spasming on the ground, clutching feebly at the hilt placed between his ribs, making no intelligible sound at all....

Before you know what is happening, an impact slams into your back, radiating intense pain. You attempt to cry out, but a thick fluid in your throat blocks any word you might have uttered. Your legs are unresponsive, and you slowly feel them buckle under your weight. As you collapse to your knees, you see someone spin around before you.

It is Hal Incandenza, no longer the affable companion you shared meals with on the trip over, but a demon wearing a man’s mask. A bloody knife hangs loose in his left hand. “Thought you could take our treasure, did you? Well, I’ll bet you’re having second thoughts now.”

Bifauxnen yanks her spear roughly from Pinterest Mom’s back. “It was too easy,” she complains. “I thought we were going to be sorely tested this time.”

Podima walks to the throne and takes a seat, placing the crown easily on his head. “These chumps will barely serve as a snack for Olmec. A shame, really. We'll just have to go out and find more trusting fools.”

“There are always more fools,” Hal says, and the three Temple Guards’ laugh.

“Always more,” Bifauxnen agrees finally, walking over to you. Still on your knees, there is nothing you can do to prevent the spear that flies point-first into your eye.

Max, town adventurer, was executed by consensus in the Throne Room.
Jamuraan, town adventurer, was betrayed by a false ally.
Mr F!, town adventurer, had his throat slit before he could react.
Pinterest Mom, town adventurer, was skewered by a spear he never saw coming.

Podima, Hal Incandenza, Bifauxnen, and the late Retro Futurist, Temple Guards, successfully defended Olmec’s treasure and murdered all the adventurers!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks everyone for being patient with the end of the game. I've been pretty busy for the long weekend, sorry for keeping you all waiting.

Overall I thought this was a great Temple game and as a moderator it was interesting to watch play out. In the end I feel like the Temple Guards won because of how focused individual townies were on their own grudges and suspicions, often letting scum get through challenges without any votes or even much discussion against them. I was surprised that for example nobody discussed how Hal made it through a challenge without being voted or really discussed at all. I was also surprised to see how resistant many town players were to having Podima talked about at all in the latter challenges.

• Locked thread