Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Secret of Mana?

Secret of Mana is a Squaresoft game released in 1993 after its original development had to be halted because the system it was intended to be for- the Nintendo Playstation- was cancelled. Specifically, it was one half of a game that was to be developed as a release title for the machine. One half became this game, and the the other half became Crono Trigger, which might explain a lot of superficially similar elements, like the looks of the main characters, same screen battles, and the like.
The game is also the second in the Seiken Densetsu or Mana series of adventure games, the first being released for Gameboy, and known as Final Fantasy Adventure in the states. It's a gorgeous game with a pretty good plot, somewhat hampered by hardware limitations meaning the translation was seriously reduced in content and detail. Such was the way of things in the early 90s. The basic premise is that you're a young boy who finds a sword, gets thrown in on an adventure, and has to save the world. It's more complicated, but no need to get into that just yet.

This Commercial is a pretty good example of the 90s too

As a Cooperative Action RPG, it's a great game to make a friend stumble around quasi-blind in. So that's what I'm doing.

Quasi-Blind? Co-Op

So, one of the niftiest things about this game is that it supports up to three player simultaneous play. I'm playing the game with my good friend QB, who never got to play it growing up, and we are keeping her blind on most plot details until they come up. She's not looking anything up, and I'm not telling her anything if I can help it. I have played the game the whole way through a few times, but my last full playthrough was around a decade ago, and I'm not checking guides for directions, enemy stats, or anything. I'm going purely on memory. Sort of the one eyed man leading the blind. This is also going to be the first playthrough that I've done co-op start to finish. That might make it easier, or harder. We'll see.

So what are we in for?

QB and I are playing the game together, and recording our commentary as we play. I'm going to split our recordings up as naturally as I can into digestible videos for your enjoyment. We might get a third person in later to play, but that's up in the air.
For this first three episodes, our Microphone Audio occasionally gets overwhelmed by in game audio, which I could not change due to a screwup in the recording phase. In a few others, our records suffer from unusual errors, like recording zero system audio, or the introduction of random distortion into our audio channels that has no apparent cause. Please bear with us as best you can.

Spoilers

I know the plot, and QB doesn't check SA, but please put spoilers behind tags in case I decide to show her the thread. You can also freely discuss the rest of the series without tags, just leave upcoming plot/ boss details in the tags for now.

Schedule

We're going through the game at a fairly brisk pace- we're through Undine's trial as of this post- and I'll try and post updates twice a week. That might go up or down depending on job schedules.

Persons of Interest: The Boy

The Boy, AKA Randi- This dude is the main character, he fights with a sword to start. As main character, he just gets weapons. That's it. But his physical stats make him a tank and he gets weapon experience super quickly. His reasons for adventuring are "A sword/ Old Man/ Luka told me to" AKA: I got kicked out of town and have nothing better to do. QB is going to be manning him for the game unless circumstances arise such that the boy isn't available in combat, due to being dead or what not.

Posts and Episodes
Here's a link to every post. Not all of them have interesting commentary or important information, but some do. If you don't want that, there's also a link straight to each video.

Episode 00- The Opening

Episode 01- None of the Work, All of the Credit

Episode 02- Such a Pretty Name for a Girl Video

Episode 03- Does no one want me? Video

Episode 04- Punch McMans! Video
Also Persons of Interest: The Girl

Episode 05- Low Rent Strongbad Video

Episode 06 - When was our last save point, again? Video

Episode 07- More Issues than X-men Video
Also Persons of Interest: The Sprite

Episode 08- "Run, Run!" "I'm Trying!" Video

Episode 09- Watts has a Sweet rear end Video
Also Persons of Interest: Watts

Episode 10- Puns Sans Frontières Video

Episode 11- The Dark Souls of Super Nintendo Video

Episode 12- Abandon all skill, Ye who enter here! Video

Episode 13- Moonwalkin' for the Win. Video

Episode 14- Okay, Sailor Moon Guy Video

Episode 15- Die, Tomato Man! Video

Episode 16- Remember when we were talking about your Fursona? Video

Episode 17- Three fire emojis out of Five Video

Episode 18- A Fishy! Kill it... Video

Episode 19- Why can't I equip Trash Can? Video

Episode 20- I'm going in a circle, you rear end in a top hat! Video

Magic Overview #1- The first three magic types, Undine, Gnome, and "Jinn".

Episode 21- Happy Friendly Mushroom Land Video

Episode 22- It has a Scenic Vista Video

Episode 23- Are we about to get wrecked by another loving boss? Video

Episode 24- I'mma grind offscreen Video
Also Persons? of Interest: Flammie!

Episode 25- Throw the Icebox into the Trash Video

Episode 26- How does a Dog know Magic? Video

Episode 27- 'Die Monster!' 'You don't belong in this world...' Video

Magic Overview #2- Introducing the fire Spirit Salamandoer!

Episode 28- Trajectories aren't SCIENCE, Tim! Video

Episode 29- I like Fiery Death more, but Okay Video

Episode 30- Mana Seeds Ruin Christmas Video

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 1- All the poo poo we have so far! All the weapons we've seen up through episode 30.

Episode 31- That Wood Paneling is so Sexy Video

Episode 32- His Soul was Actually Suplexed out of his Body Video

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 2- Fire Palace Acquisitions

Episode 33- The Snowman Killed Secret of Mana Video

Episode 34 - I'm here to Beat Things up Video

Episode 35 - Take the Old Lady as a Human Shield! Video

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 3- NorthTown Ruins Exterior

Episode 36- Why is it Suddenly Cloudy in Here Video

Episode 37- It Seems that my Spinal Cord has been Severed Video

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 4- NorthTown Ruins Spoils

Episode 38 - The Oreo Cleaver Video

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 5- Imperial Castle Upgrades

Persons of Disinterest: Ghestar and Persons of Interest Update: Flammie! Geshtar is the first and least interesting of the four generals, and Flammie continues to be adorable.

Episode 39 - Hoist by my own Picard Video

Episode 40 - Californian Accident Video

Episode 41 - Her pet Abomination Horse Video

Magic Overview #3- The Shadow Spirit, Shade.

Persons of Disinterest: Jehk

Episode 42 - We can go up on The Thing Video

Episode 43- Sick Doughnuts for Days Video

Magic Overview #4- Meet Lumina, the Light Spirit.

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 6- Dark Temple, Light Tower, and catchup

Episode 44 - Broadcasting Live from the Past Video

Magic Overview #5- Blink and You'll miss Luna, the Moon Spirit

Episode 45 - I'm like Nine! Video

Episode 46 - Casual Murder Video

Persons of General Disinterest A list of most all of the NPCs in the game, with a couple left to come.

Episode 47 - I gave Evil Me what for Video

Persons of Being a Dick: I hate this guy

Episode 48- Where did your Cat go? Video

Magic Overview #6- She gets better I swear, it's Dryad, the Wood Spirit

Persons of Disinterest: Sheex Sheex is edgy, and holds the dubious honor of being one of the most pissant and one of the most frustrating bosses at different times in the game.

Episode 49 - We are Made of Rage Video

Episode 50 - 'Die Monster!' 'You might belong in this world?' Video

Episode 51 - People be all like Zombies on the Subway. Video

Episode 52 - My Dragon Says I can do whatever I please Video

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 7- Literally just the Sunken Continent

Episode 53 - gently caress Reading Video

Episode 54 - Stuck on a wall there wasn't Video

Episode 55 - Homophonic to a T Video

Episode 56 - I don't like that Verb Video

Episode 57 - Oh It's Tomato Dude Video

Episode 58 - Doing a Level Seven is its own reason Video

Episode 59 - This Guy really sucks Video

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 8- The Pure Lands

Episode 60 - First things first... I'm not dead yet Video

Episode 61 - Dark/ Fighting, Naughty Nature Video

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 9- poo poo we Missed

Persons of Disinterest: The Emperor, his Generals, and Dyluck

Episode 62 - A Good Run While it Lasted Video

Episode 63 -Magic Demo Video All the L7 and 8 magic for each sprite, including critical casts.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

And we finally get back into the action! Like I mentioned in the last thread, there was a failed recording attempt of about 15 minutes, and rather than simply redo them, I'll summarize them here- Weapons got upgraded, we went to a peace banquet with the Empire. IT'S A TRAP! We fought the first boss in the game, saved Krissie and her crew, and we're still in the Imperial Castle, ready to kick bubblegum, take rear end, and chew names! Now, without further ado...

Episode 38 - The Oreo Cleaver

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Since We upgraded our weapons, though technicall off screen, It's time for another

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 4- NorthTown Ruins Spoils

Flail of Hope

ATK 24: Received from the Doom's Wall. Effective vs Evil and Undead.

Oreo Red Cleaver

ATK 24: Received from the Vampire. Effective vs Insects.

There's also another orb I missed inside the ruins, but I do plan on going back for it.

Also, what with the empire, we can have a few new people of interest! And the actual weapon upgrades from the last episode too.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 26, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 5- Imperial Castle Upgrades

Golden Axe

ATK 29: From a Chest in the Imperial Palace. Strong vs. insects

Heavy Glove

ATK 24: Received from Metal Mantis (The boss that we lost recording of fighting. Imagine the first boss fight, but easier.). Strong vs. insects

Morning Star

ATK 30: From a Chest in the Imperial Palace. Strong vs. insects

Fork of Hope

ATK 24: Received from Mech Rider 2. Strong vs. Evil and Undead.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 7, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Time for a couple Character Profiles too!

or

Ghestar is the first Imperial you properly meet and the first you kill, rather unceremoniously. He tries to kill you with a castle after you beat him, though it doesn't take. So amazingly minor, especially because his fight and last ditch attempt to murder you are instantly upstaged by...

or
Flammie, last of the white dragons! He's related to the purplish dragons flying around the seasons forest, but he's a slightly different breed. He's also a baby, despite being the same size as them, and not yet ready to fly. He is adorable and he's being raised by King Truffles. That is all. Flammie is all grown up now and acts as the party's airship, allowing them to fly to and from practically any outdoor location. He is still adorable.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

And Finally, Have a new episode! In which we get lost, get found, get basic cable, and get pointed in the right direction.

Episode 39 - Hoist by my own Picard

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

in today's adventure. we accidentally a dungeon, and discuss terrible things that come out of California.

Episode 40 - Californian Accident

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

In today's outing, we hit another boss, finally get some more magic- just for the sprite- meet a wacky looking fellow, and hit up Watts for more weapon upgrades. So, all in all, a busy day.

Episode 41 - Her pet Abomination Horse

Look forward to a magic update and a weapon post soon!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

We got a new Spirit, so it's time for a Magic rundown!

Upon beating the poo poo out of the largest unicellular organism you ever did see, we freed the Shadow spirit

Shade

Official Art

and more recently

In Game Sprite

Shade is the spirit of Darkness, and for some reason, only the Sprite can use his magic. That means there's no Dark Saber. Oh no..... Instead, you get a debuff and two attack spells.

Sprite's spells

Dark Force: 2MP to cast, deals dark elemental magic..

Dispel Magic: 4 MP to cast, gets rid of enemy buffs. At level six and higher can dispel Wall.

Evil Gate: 8 MP to cast, extreme dark elemental damage. Seems to do more damage the more HP the enemy has.

Shade isn't very interesting spells wise, but Dispel is useful right til the end of the game and worth levelling ASAP for the added utility.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 7, 2017

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Great to see this LP continue. I'm following this for nostalgia reasons. As a child, I owned Secret of Mana myself.

Not being a native speaker in English, I didn't know at the time what dispel magic actually meant. So I never used dispel magic while playing SoM. As a matter of fact, I didn't know up until now that it could counter a Wall spell. :smith:
Then again, young me was a firm believer of the if-it's-not-healing-or-damage,-it's-not-worth-using school of magic.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Pea posted:

Great to see this LP continue. I'm following this for nostalgia reasons. As a child, I owned Secret of Mana myself.

Not being a native speaker in English, I didn't know at the time what dispel magic actually meant. So I never used dispel magic while playing SoM. As a matter of fact, I didn't know up until now that it could counter a Wall spell. :smith:
Then again, young me was a firm believer of the if-it's-not-healing-or-damage,-it's-not-worth-using school of magic.

In young you's defense, that is the truth of a LOT of magic in oldschool RPGs.

I'm holding off on the weapon update until we have a little more to show for it, so for now, another Person of Interest has appeared, so let's get a Character Profile in-

Jehk

This goofy looking fellow is the assistant to the Sage Johk. Had we visited him before hitting up the shadow temple, he'd have pointed us there. Now he's gonna point us towards the light and moon magics, then onto more plot proper.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
This is pretty clearly the part of the game where they cut content to fit the game originally designed for CD onto a SNES cartridge. I'm not sure you could even call "hike to Jehk, get a new destination, go there, return to Jehk" padding, because even padding adds something.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Nidoking posted:

This is pretty clearly the part of the game where they cut content to fit the game originally designed for CD onto a SNES cartridge. I'm not sure you could even call "hike to Jehk, get a new destination, go there, return to Jehk" padding, because even padding adds something.

It's padding for time, but even then, you don't NEED to do it. Once you get done with one section of this chain, the next one is active without having to visit him.

Not that the game doesn't make you run in circles in other ways...

Episode 42 - We can go up on The Thing

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 31, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey everyone. I have had a very very busy and interesting week, including a migraine! Bet you all want one of your own now, dontcha?

In today's adventure, we climb a tower and get some magic! Expect another Magic post and a weapon update. In good news the next batch of episodes is already in the can, so for my like 10 fans, there shouldn't be any wait for the next chunk of the game!

Episode 43- Sick Doughnuts for Days

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

New Spirit means new Magic!

So, apparently the spirits are capable of transmutation? Lumina, you gonna throw some of that dosh our way? No? Alright I guess...

Lumina or Wisp in the rest of the series.

Official Art

and more recently

In Game Sprite

Lumina is the spirit of Light, and like how Shade only works for Sprite, this spirit only works for the Girl. So one of her three spells is the INCREDIBLY boring Saber spells, but on the other hand, LUCENT BEAM.

Girl's spells

Lucid Barrer: 4MP to cast, No sells weapon attacks before a certain point.

Lucent Beam: 8 MP to cast, Two lines of light travel in , do 90 degree turns, and then smash into opposite sides of an enemy. Hilariously good against undead..

Light Saber: 5 MP to cast, Light Elemental weapons. No additional effect I can determine.

Lumina has good offensive and defensive utility for the girl, and has her best offensive spell. Her best defensive and support spells are yet to come.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 6- Dark Temple, Light Tower, and catchup

These first two I picked up offscreen, so don't worry if you missed them.

Excalibur

ATK 27: This is in a chest in Norhtown ruins. We skipped the room it's in the first time through. Effective vs Evil and Undead.

Masamune

ATK 35: This we're supposed to get later from the King of Tasnica, but due to the way Mana works, I also got it in the chest in Northtown ruins. Extra chance of critical hits

Hyper Fist

ATK 30: From a chest in the Temple of Darkness. Effective vs slimes and lizards.

Oceanid Spear

ATK 38: From a chest in Gold Tower. Puts enemies to sleep. This can make some enemies hard to hit, but makes others sitting ducks.

Were Buster

ATK 38: From a chest in gold tower. Effective verse animals, birds, and beasts.

Cobra Shuttle

ATK 30: Defeat Blue Spike in gold tower. Poisons enemies. Yes, the official art and the sprite are NOTHING like, I have no idea why.

Imp's Fork

ATK 30: Defeat the Lime Slime. It randomly Baloons enemies, leaving them helpless and unable to act.

Elfin Bow

ATK 35: Defeat Gorgon Bull in gold tower. +1 Int and Wis. Like all higher bows, no art seems to exist for it.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 7, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Alright everyone! We're back, up to date on weapons and whatnot, and now we're off on a journey to get the next magic spiri-and we're done.

Episode 44 - Broadcasting Live from the Past

As mentioned, here is my quickly growing cat,

His name is Tohru Adachi.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Oh, right, we got a new spirit. I almost forgot, what with blinking during the "dungeon". So, we now have access to Moon magic, given to us by the Moon spirit

Luna. Why the moon spirit was hanging out in a starlake in the middle of the desert is something this game never even remotely explains.

Official Art
and more recently

In Game Sprite

Luna is the Spirit of the moon. Luna is where the game being in "Just get it done" mode really becomes apparent, because Luna has a three room dungeon, if you include the outside and the seed room, and a single puzzle. That said, she absolutely has one of the Sprite's best spells, so I'm not upset I don't need to go through a rigamarole to get her.

Girl's spells

Lunar Boost: 2 MP to cast, Attack Up, Evasion Down. Good Berserk with moon madness.

Moon Energy: 2 MP to cast, Up Crit hit rate and damage.

] Moon Saber: 3 MP to cast, ABSORB HP WITH EVERY ATTACK. Do not use on undead, or creatures that cast this same spell or energy absorb.

Sprite's spells

Change Form: 5 MP to cast, Changes enemy into another enemy. I think it changes rewards and drops, too.

Lunar Magic: 8 MP to cast, Randomness, the spell. This can heal, hurt, or status your party, the enemy, or everyone. I don't use it much.

Magic Absorb: 1 MP to cast, EFFECTIVELY INFINITE MP. Deesn't work on undead, or most bosses.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 15, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Wanna pet that cat. :cabot:

On a technical note, the audio on ep 44 is super super quiet. I have to really crank my volume to hear you guys clearly.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You reused the writeup for Lumina in your Luna post.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Wanna pet that cat. :cabot:

On a technical note, the audio on ep 44 is super super quiet. I have to really crank my volume to hear you guys clearly.

He is very pet-able. And I'll see about what I can do for the other episodes from that recording.

Nidoking posted:

You reused the writeup for Lumina in your Luna post.

So I did. That's what happens when I try and do the magic post and start a new LP at the same time while tired.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hello again everybody!

In today's outing, we find a Lighthouse, find a traitor, chump a miniboss, find that drat turtle island, and finish up a very simple but very long running sidequest.

Episode 45 - I'm like Nine!

I also want to point out here, as I did in the weapon overview, that if I hadn't cheesed the order by getting a duplicate in the Northtown Ruins chest, I would have gotten a Sword upgrade orb from the King here after defeating the miniboss.

Let me know if this one is quiet for anyone too.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 17, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Tasnica's probably the place where they most obviously ran out of time or space to do anything with the assets they'd created. Everywhere you go before getting Flammie, there are a few things you need to do before advancing. In Tasnica, it's just go in, beat one enemy, talk to Jema, and report back to Jehk yet again. I assume there were supposed to be things in those hidden doors and passages, and it reeks of a place that was going to have plot significance.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Tasnica's probably the place where they most obviously ran out of time or space to do anything with the assets they'd created. Everywhere you go before getting Flammie, there are a few things you need to do before advancing. In Tasnica, it's just go in, beat one enemy, talk to Jema, and report back to Jehk yet again. I assume there were supposed to be things in those hidden doors and passages, and it reeks of a place that was going to have plot significance.

Tasnica's the most obvious place where assets were made with nothing to do with them. Like, the signs of needing to performing a short quest to root out the infiltrator are still present in the text from before you meet the king, but it's like they forgot to actually implement it and just defaulted to "Dude's stalking/ controlling the king!" instead of writing the quest chain where you figure out that the King's the one acting unusual, come up with a way to prove the puppeting/ replacement/ whatever it was supposed to be.

Lumina's "dungeon" is still the most obvious 'we ran outta time/space for this poo poo" though.

In today's outing, we finally get to meet the great sage Joch, and he has a task for us. Who would have Expected? At least we can do it without having to go halfway across the world this time.

Episode 46 - Casual Murder

You know, we've met a lot of random schlubs who haven't been given overviews, like Luka, Jema, and Phanna. Might as well write something about them.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

So, sometime this morning, Square Enix announced a full HD 3D remake of Secret of Mana, just like the Seiken 1 remake they made a little while back.

https://twitter.com/SQUARE_ENIX_EU/status/900976046110932993

I am super hyped for this.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 25, 2017

Angrboda
May 31, 2005

Ryushikaze posted:

So, sometime this morning, Square Enix announced a full HD 3D remake of Secret of Mana, just like the Seiken 1 remake they made a little while back.

I am super hyped for this.

I may have squealed in an embarrassingly stupid way when I saw the news. The SD1 remake was fantastic, but this looks like it's Remake Type 2 -- with turbo! It's gonna be amazing.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Right, so we've got a few named Characters in Secret of Mana that I haven't covered in a Character Profile, and now's a good enough time as any to go over a bunch of them. So with really no ado at all, have some

Persons of General Disinterest

First up is

Jema

In Game

Jema- who looks a lot older in game than in his art, is an old dude who helps the hero out in his quest, giving him pointers and directions... and not much else. A Knight of the Republic, he was in Potos Village to try and claim the Mana Sword for himself when Randi pulled it out instead. His name is a reference to the Gemma Knights of Seiken Densetsu 1. The republic, by the way, is Tasnica, which you may recall as being on screen maybe 10 minutes total.

Next is

Luka

In game

Luka is the Sage of Water. If you note that she's the only Sage of an Element, CONGRATULATIONS, she's really there to be an infodump, not part of a larger scheme of things (though you could say that Granpa and Joch are meant to be sages of wind and shadow, but eh.) Luka here falls into the "Young looking girl but is really super old" trope, but at least Mana's creators have the minor decency to let her look and be of age, as she at least looks eighteen. That's explicit in the text, by the by.

Neko

This rear end in a top hat is your wandering save point and items vendor. He charges DOUBLE what anyone else does. Never buy armor from him unless he's literally the only way to get that armor. He will be.

Of course, we should cover the friends and family of the heroes, too.

Elder, Eliot and Timothy The old dude raised Randi, the other two grew up with him, and threw him under the bus when he unleashed encroaching doom upon the earth. Like it was a big deal or something. In Japan, Timothy's name is Bob. That is perhaps the most interesting thing about any of them.

Elman is Purim's dad. He doesn't want her dating Dyluck because he wants Purim to marry a nobleman's son. He convinces the King to send Dyluck to fight Elinee to get him out of the way.

Phanna here, not to be confused with Fahna, who the LP has yet to meet, is Purim's best friend. She secretly macked on Dyluck, and was hypnotized by Thanatos for eeeevilll ends... spoooky. But we clonked her on the head and she's all better now. And she works for the resistance.

Dyluck is Purim's boyfriend, a fact which she will not allow you to forget. Similarly taken by Thanatos, he has proved too strong for the necromancer to handle, and caused trouble for him. And yet Thanatos keeps him around. I wonder why.

is the Dwarf Elder, who raised the amnesiatic Popoi for a couple weeks maybe? Still cares for the little guy.

is Popoi's Grandpa, who hangs out at the shrine of Wind. Heals the party's HP/MP for free, so he's cool in my book.

Now for random people we've met and or beaten the crap out of.

Elineee is a witch who made a deal with Thanatos to get magic herbs to make herself younger in exchange for new blood. After you beat her rear end she promises to go straight and gives you a whip. She looked kinda old even before her age defying magic faded, honestly.

Moogles live in the great forest, near sprites. Basically the only nod Secret of Mana 2 has to Final Fantasy, like how the Chocobo was FFA's nod. Also a status effect.

King Truffle is a super cool dude. He raised our airship for us! And he resides over non murderous mushroom people. That's cool too.

these fne young men are the Cannon men. they operate the cannon fast travel network before Flammie becomes a thing.

Meria ran the republic's sandship before we happened to it. Gave his grandson too much leeway, but set him straight once he found out what was going on.

Morie was an rear end and ran the sandship poorly. That is all.

Sergo Was a pirate who made a distraction so we could move about on the sandship. He's free now, and we might see him later.

This fellow is both every single generic shopkeeper and Amar, King of Kakkara.

Doronjo The Scorpion gang are Secret of Mana's recurring comedy villains. Not quite sympathetic, but never truly evil. Mostly hare brained schemes and silly hammer robots.

This is just a reminder that SANTA loving CLAUS is a character in this game that we had to fight because he used a Mana Seed to try and make the world's best christmas tree and got turned into an ice giant instead.

Mara is a resistance spy, who happens to also be a crazy cat lady on the side.

Krissie and her resistance also help the Hero out against the empire, but so far haven't had a good show of things, getting trapped and captured on their only known outing so far.

This is the generic king sprite, so it gets used for Mammon This fucker sealed Lumina in a tower just so she could make gold for him. Greedy rear end in a top hat.

Pecard is a lighthouse keeper. That is literally all he is. Maybe he uses his bald head in lieu of a lamp in the lighthouse? I have no idea why he was given a name, but he has one in every language.

Charon is a Chobin that runs a ferry over the sea of stars in the middle of the desert, to and from the temple of Luna, spirit of the moon. That's all he exists for. He's actually a standard Chobin as far as the game is concerned. You can kill him if you try.

Lastly, I guess we can add this fellow to the list...

Sage Joch This rear end in a top hat sent us all over creation looking for him just to give us ANOTHER errand the second we actually find him, the mumbly talking ancient languaging bastard. I dislike Sage Joch.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 24, 2018

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey everyone!

In today's outing, we beat the crap out of ourselves, worry that we might have softlocked the game, learn the true identity of an rear end in a top hat, and make our way to the Sunken Continent.

Episode 47 - I gave Evil Me what for

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey everyone! Been having a fun week at the beach with very terrible wifi, so the proper update will probably be tomorrow. Before then, have a minor update to last week's Persons of Disinterest:

Sage Joch This goofy looking rear end in a top hat gently caress sent us all over creation looking for him just to pretend to be some other fucker and give us ANOTHER errand the second we actually find him, the mumbly talking ancient languaging blatant lying loving bastard. I dislike kinda just plain hate Sage Joch.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 24, 2018

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Okay, so the update wasn't tomorrow. I was being lazy.

Episode 48- Where did your Cat go?

And because everyone should know where my cat has been, the answer is; To the Beach!

He actually quite liked it, though the ocean itself was a bit too imposing to explore.

Expect a Magic update and a Person of Disinterest soon!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Now we have the final Spirit.

Dryad here has been hanging out in the Sunken Continent Mana palace, just waiting for us to arrive. Lich got to here though and sealed away "most" of her power. That means she only gives us two spells per caster instead of three, as the last one is literally gated to be available only in the final boss fight.

Official Art
and more recently

In Game Sprite

Dryad is the spirit of Wood, and in this game at least is distinct from the spirit of Mana itself, though she does have Mana Magic. She gives Wall and the ever welcome Revive to the girl, as well as the questionably useful Sleep Flower and the directly named Exploder to the sprite.

Girl's spells

Revive: 10 MP to cast, brings back other party member with an amount of HP that grows with each magic level. Note that this spell is 1/4th of the Girl's magic as of the time she acquires it.

Wall: 6 MP to cast, bounces all magic aside from l6+ dispel back at the caster. Now the shoe is on the other foot, random mooks and a few bosses!

Sprite's spells

Exploder: 4 MP to cast, effecticaly non-elemental magic damage. Good for generic blasting.

Sleep Flower: 2 MP to cast, puts enemies to sleep. Good for breathing room I guess?

Secret Spell

/ Mana Magic: 1 MP to cast, both the girl and the sprite get a version of this spell in the final battle to turn the boy's sword into the most powerful sword, so you can properly damage the final boss. Both need to cast it for the effect to happen.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 20, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hi everyone! Been a busy week. Anyway, it's time for a Person of Disinterest!

This fellow is Sheex. much better known as that boss what reflects magic back at you.

We first met him as the Dark Stalker

in Tasnica. You might remember him as the miniboss that got chumped by a single Lucent Beam. Spoilers- he's a regular enemy in the upcoming dungeon.

He's best remembered as Aegagropilon

Or "the reflect boss."

Yep, he cast L6 wall at the very start of the fight and if Shade isn't high enough, you have to fight him direct. And he's got a lot of HP. 3016 of it. He's mostly just irritating, hopping around the battle like the spring beak or Vampire... only sometimes he gets himself stuck on the level Geometry, like he did in my fight.

I tell you, if there's a glitch, I'll find it somehow.

Next episode soonish, folks.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hello again you patient and loyal lot! In today's episode we begin our epic trek downstairs through the basement of this ancient and forgotten land.

Episode 49 - We are Made of Rage

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

In today's outing we continue our trek beneath the palace, recycle old jokes, and meet up with some old friends!

Episode 50 - 'Die Monster!' 'You might belong in this world?'

Also, this LP has been going on for a little over a year! Thanks for sticking with me everyone!

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 5, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hello thar, folks. In today's episode I try my hand at standup, public transportation exists, and we meet up with Donjo- the scorpion gang again!

Episode 51 - People be all like Zombies on the Subway.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey again. We've finally hit the last video from the last recording session, so there might be another hopefully short hiatus. In the meantime, check out my ArmJoe LP!

Episode 52 - My Dragon Says I can do whatever I please

Weapon Update will be incoming shortly.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Have you tried messing around with Icebox' ACT menu? You can set the AI's behaviour there. Including whether it will keep away from enemies or approach them. It might help with preventing Icebox from getting stuck when you decide to move forward. It might possibly make things harder for some enemies or bosses though if only 2 out 3 characters are attacking.

On another note: I noticed there is no more spark in the mana seeds when you checked the character screen around 18 minutes into the video. The Mana Power also reads 0 despite you having 8 ellipses. Is this related to this whole sunken continent rising above the ocean? I seem to have missed the point when your mana power changed to 0 again. Is there any way of getting it back to 8?

Speaking of which, if Hermy is the legendary knight who needs to do a thing with all 8 mana seeds. It's kind of doomed to fail if one of them is at the bottom of the sea. It also clarifies why everyone was so skeptical about Hermy being the real mana knight. Pulling a sword from a stone is hard enough, but raising a sunken continent? That's just crazy talk.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Pea posted:

On another note: I noticed there is no more spark in the mana seeds when you checked the character screen around 18 minutes into the video. The Mana Power also reads 0 despite you having 8 ellipses. Is this related to this whole sunken continent rising above the ocean? I seem to have missed the point when your mana power changed to 0 again. Is there any way of getting it back to 8?

The bad guys said that they'd sealed the power of the Mana Seeds, so you're not getting power from them. Fortunately, magic continues to grow to level 7 at this point; Dryad doesn't have much, but being stuck at level 0 would make it completely useless.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Pea posted:

Have you tried messing around with Icebox' ACT menu? You can set the AI's behaviour there. Including whether it will keep away from enemies or approach them. It might help with preventing Icebox from getting stuck when you decide to move forward. It might possibly make things harder for some enemies or bosses though if only 2 out 3 characters are attacking.

Speaking of which, if Hermy is the legendary knight who needs to do a thing with all 8 mana seeds. It's kind of doomed to fail if one of them is at the bottom of the sea. It also clarifies why everyone was so skeptical about Hermy being the real mana knight. Pulling a sword from a stone is hard enough, but raising a sunken continent? That's just crazy talk.

The point where it changed to Zero was right around the Sheex boss fight, when they sealed the Mana Seeds, as Nidoking says.

Nidoking posted:

The bad guys said that they'd sealed the power of the Mana Seeds, so you're not getting power from them. Fortunately, magic continues to grow to level 7 at this point; Dryad doesn't have much, but being stuck at level 0 would make it completely useless.

Not completely, because Revifify is still useful, just aburdly less so.

Speaking of magic levels, I have taken the liberty to do some off screen grinding, gaining everyone about six levels, maxing the available magic and weapons, and getting everyone double the defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 7- Literally just the Sunken Continent

Yeah, all of these are from the Sunken Continent, and we're still not done with it.

Gigas Swords

ATK 44: This is in a chest in the Grand palace. I picked this up during my offscreen grinding. Increases STR by 2.

Gigas Lance

ATK 46: From Aegagropilon (Wall Boss), Also increases STR by 2, though it might be bugged.

Hammer Flail

ATK 38: From the Hydra refight in the Underground City. Randomly Slows enemies.

Frizbar

ATK 38: Found in a treasure chest in the undergound city. Effective against slimes and lizards.

Wing Bow

ATK 35: Defeat Kettle Kin in the underground city. Confuses enemies. Like all higher bows, no art seems to exist for it.

• Locked thread