Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Once, I found a Glove's Orb in an invisible chest in the Sunken Palace. It was in a wide alcove that didn't seem to have any other purpose, and it's never been there since, but I think that was the only time I ever got the glove to level 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey there everyone, enjoy a pre-thanksgiving appetizer as we head upstairs in the tree palace and figure out what we were doing wrong.

Episode 53 - gently caress Reading

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving, even you Canadians who had it last month! Have an episode to help get you back into the swing of things. In today's outing, we kill books, make our way through the upper floors of the Palace, and make our way to a climactic confrontation with the emperor in the Seed Chamber... or do we?

Episode 54 - Stuck on a wall there wasn't

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 1, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Do you? You reposted last week's video, although the latest one wasn't hard to find from there.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Do you? You reposted last week's video, although the latest one wasn't hard to find from there.

Hah! That's what I get for making an update while sick! It's fixed now.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey again everyone! Had a hectic week, but here's the next episode. Today we have a final underwhelming encounter with the Emperor, meet the power behind the throne, and a Very Bad Thing happens.

Episode 55 - Homophonic to a T

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

In the last episode of this outing, and what is likely to be the penultimate recording, we arrive at the Pure Land, and QB tries to remember the very beginning of the game, to mixed results.
Oh, and we fight a Dragon. No big.

Episode 56 - I don't like that Verb

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 5, 2018

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hello everyone! Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year. In good news, the actual recording is done, and we are in the home stretch. In the bad news... we're coming to the end of the LP?

In today's outing, we get further into the Pure Land and take out a boss. We're basically fighting a boss per episode from here on out. This time it's the Axe Beak.

Episode 57 - Oh It's Tomato Dude

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey again folks! It's time for yet more Mana as we rush through boss after boss towards the end of the game. Today, we kill another dragon. It's becoming a real habit.

Episode 58 - Doing a Level Seven is its own reason.

But I know what you're all REALLY here for.

This is Adachi, now 8 months old.

And this is the comparitively smaller Ryuko, who is 5 months. This was their first ever snowfall.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 10, 2018

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey again, everyone! I'm snowed in today, so have more Secret of Mana!

Episode 59 - This Guy really sucks

And, of course, I can't forget the real stars of the show

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
The Mana Fortress has a bunch of enemies that drop the strongest gear in the game. They also drop various weapon orbs although they are super rare. I remember grinding a lot of orbs just to see what kind of weapons I would ultimately get.

Also yes, please show off the special lvl 8 spell animations. Some of them are just slight variations of the regular ones, but there are a couple that are quite something.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 8- The Pure Lands

In our penultimate Weapons roster, I show off all the weapons that got upgrades in the Pure Lands, which is rather a lot, really.

Dragon Buster

ATK 52: Gotten upon defeating the Thunder Gigas in the Pure lands.
AFTER all the dragon fights. Yayyyy.

Great Axe

ATK 46: We get this off the corpse of the Dragon worm (the snake boss refight). Effective against plants and fish.
There are pretty much no plant or fish enemies in the Mana Fortress. Still, pretty great axe.

Griffin Claws

ATK 38: These drop from the Red Dragon in the pure lands. Poisons enemies.

Shuriken

ATK 47: You get this from the Blue Dragon. Ups critical percentage.

Dragon's Dart

ATK 47: From the Axe Beak Fight. Effective verse dragons. A nice idea but... nowhere to upgrade it.

Doom Bow

ATK 52: Drops from the Snow dragon fight. Ups critical percent chance.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

As we continue towards the game's final showdown, we encounter yet another boss, this time it's the Dread Slime, which is the exact same enemy that we fought in the shadow temple, only with better stands and this time the gimmick is that it gets bigger the more you hurt it. It's not worth talking about, really. What we're about to see is a bit more notable, but this.. this is just a bit meh.

Episode 60 - First things first... I'm not dead yet.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So, plan to do the remake coming out on Steam in 3 weeks?

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

So, plan to do the remake coming out on Steam in 3 weeks?

I have been thinking about it quite a lot, yes. On the one hand, I want to play it on my own at least once and enjoy it, see any upgrades or changes, and to take a break. On the other, it came out at the PERFECT time. I could jump into a game of it immediately.

Maybe I'll split the difference and do a livestream of it.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

We inch ever closer to the finale! Today we reunite with Dyluck, fight Thanatos, and learn badly explained exposition!

Episode 61 - Dark/ Fighting, Naughty Nature.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Alright. We are just about to fight the final boss. But before we go to the episode, there's one last Magic Overview and a weapon roundup I was saving until specifically now because now is when it's relevant.

Magic Overview: Dryad's Last Spell

/ Mana Magic. Cost: 1MP. This spell is only available in the final battle. Both the girl and the sprite must cast their magic on the hero. What does it do? It turns the sword into....

Weapon Roundup: Literally the Final Boss

The Mana Sword

ATK 65: You only get this by casting Mana Magic on the boy in the final fight... unless you perform a very specific glitch called the 9th Sword Orb glitch. Always critically hits the final boss, and is the only weapon it does not resist.

Now then. After a year and half, 62 episodes, and 17 hours and 38 minutes of playtime (give or take a few hours off screen) I finally present to you- the end of the journey.

Episode 62 - A Good Run While it Lasted

And though this is the end of the game, this is not the end of our journey! I still have the Demonstration of all the Level 8 spells to show you, and I'm going to be streaming at least part of the remake this Friday! More details to follow.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 14, 2018

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Here is an episode for you with all the L7 and L8 Variations of all the Magic except Mana magic.

Episode 63- Magic Demo

I'll release a shortened version without commentary and omitting the full quest for shadow Zero later.

HOWEVER, that's not all! Tune in tomorrow at 7PM ESTto twitch.tv/Ryushikaze at when I will be livestreaming the HD Remake!

See you there, folks.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 16, 2018

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Before I tackle the remake, I have a few final bits of housekeeping to do, like the final persons of disinterest and going over the weapons we never got.

That said Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 9- poo poo we missed

Basically, almost all of these are found in the Mana Fortress, and QB and I beelined toward the end, so we never saw these, even if we got their orbs. Most of these don't have concept art.

Dragon Claws

ATK 47: Dropped by wolf lords, it's effective against dragons. There are not as I recall any dragon enemies in the Mana fortress.

Aura Glove

ATK 56: Dropped by wolf lords in the Mana Fortress. No special properties listed.

Daedelus Lance

ATK 56: Dropped by Tsunamis in the Mana fortress. Only 2 points more powerful than the dragon lance, with no special properties.

Gigas Axe

ATK 56: Dropped by Fiend Heads in the Mana Fortress. Increases strength by 5.

Doom Axe

ATK 59: Dropped by Fiend heads. No special properties, making it a strict downgrade from the Gigas Axe, despite the slightly higher STR.

Gigas Flail

ATK 53: Dropped by Terminators in the Mana Fortress. Like all the other final level weapons, it has no special properties.

Ninja's Trump

ATK 53: Dropped by Master Ninjas. Again, no special properties.

Valkyrian

ATK 53: Dropped by Whimpers. Are you surprised it has no special properties?

Garuda Buster

ATK 54: Dropped by Metal Crabs. What? No special properties? You're kidding me!

I'll try and get profiles up on Fanna, The Emperor, Thanatos, etc. soon.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I like, just found this and also just played the SoM remake. What timing.

This game is so drat cute but kind of a mess. As such, the remake is very faithful!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

I took far longer than I should have to get these out but the real world has been hectic. At least I finished the actual LP before vanishing this time.

Now for the final Persons of Disisnterest

This is Emperor Vandole He has less of a presence than any of his generals. He shows up once, then gets killed standing up offscreen by one of said generals on order or another. Speaking of...

Fahna not to be confused with Phanna, is another general of the empire. She kills the emperor because her lover(?) Thanatos said to.

You fight her as Hexas

Anyways, speaking of Thanatos

He was actually an ancient malovolent Lich occupying the body of a living host, but his body is running out of time. That's why he captured Dyluck. You know, this guy

It was because Dyluck was of the same demonic bloodline as Thanatos and the general, but raised in the light of Mana, making him a perfect vessel for Thanatos. However, at the very end, Dyluck resisted, and killed himself before he could be permanently possessed. This made Thanatos desperate, and he turned into the Dark Lich to try and kill the party.

And yes, that does leave the final final boss unmentioned, but that's deliberate.

Anyways, that finally properly finishes out my LP. I'm probably gonna do the remake, but I'm gonna do it as its own thing, so thanks to everyone who saw me through from start to finish and everyone who joined in along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a bit late to the party, but thanks for the LP. This is one of those games that I started playing, and never finished. I know it's one of the great games for the SNES (and I wish I had the time to sit down and play a good old 90's JRPG), so I'm glad to have been able to watch it played.

• Locked thread