Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

it's easily on track to be their best album since There Is Nothing Left To Lose, if not better. (I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing that about every Foo album, but it's true.)

Not really because There is Nothing Left To Lose was a weak album with a couple of good tracks, plus their only really good album since The Color and The Shape was Wasting Light. Hopefully this one will be good too though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah most of them were really good. They absolutely love stopping the song, having a long talk and then suddenly bursting into the last chorus though. They did it like 5 times.

I feel like this explains QOTSA's Songs for the Deaf (which is a great album, don't get me wrong, but it does the false ending thing a lot.)

Actually I really miss Dave's go and drum for other bands phase, that and Killing Joke's second self titled are still the best things he's done since The Colour and The Shape.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I liked Wasting Light enough that I wanted to give this album a listen even though Sonic Highways was dire, but I only just got round to it. Run is pretty fun, although Melechesh do that groove better - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4E4VA0wmBQ after the intro for example if you can handle harsh vocals. The Sky is a Neighbourhood has really good vocals, though I'm less sold on the squelchy We Will Rock You beat and generic guitar. Arrows and The Line are both OK but we've heard them so many times before they don't really need to exist. Every other track is awful, and the production is terrible too.

Obviously lots of people still like hearing new Foo Fighters albums, but for me I don't really see the point in them anymore. Their signature sound can be really good, but we've already heard that done as well as it can be, and every time they try something new it ranges from pointlessly derivative to really bad. I'd much rather see Dave drum for other bands. If they do carry on, I think they're better off sticking to the punkier sound of their best albums instead of the dull classic rock influences they go for here, but then again I'm clearly not part of their audience anymore.

• Locked thread