Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

kimbo305 posted:

Somebody linked the top 10 car animes in another thread, and turns out one of the "dumb cars" the cops drive in exDriver is a Europa. I guess I can finally bump that up on my to-watch list.

Hunh, so it went over the trans tunnel?

A week ago, I would have cast doubt on the carbs being that big a stranding headache, but now that attitude is slightly checked.

For 5 or 6 years I daily drove a selection of Saab 99's and c900s (which came with either single Stromberg CD175's or twin CD150's), and I can say that I have been stranded twice due to Stromberg carb issues. Once when a diaphragm totally failed (I guess it had been slightly torn for ages but then it tore all the way round and became two parts), and once when the head came off the needle and the needle then dropped out.
You have both these spare parts in your emergency toolkit right? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tomarse posted:

and once when the head came off the needle and the needle then dropped out.
You have both these spare parts in your emergency toolkit right? ;)

Better link me!

I drove it around today to get a photo shoot. Pics coming soon. I let someone else drive it, and noticed the front right suspension clunking noticeably going over road surface imperfections.
Shaking the tire at the top gets some play. About the same amount on both front wheels, though I don't hear or feel anything from the front left. Could be that the way my feet are perched behind the pedals, that they don't feel anything?
Because of the size of the wheel and the general construction of the car, this is one vehicle here doing a suspension check makes it feel like you could maybe rip the whole wheel out if you just pulled really hard.

Anyways, moved the car around quite a few times for the shoot, and no startup issues or dieseling. Had the choke fully back in the whole time.

I tried to locate the ignition, and it was hidden under carbs, so didn't get great shots of that or the coil, which is visible but in a slighlty awkward place:

Also spotted some insulation peeling off the firewall onto a fuel tank:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Before you start pulling poo poo apart, really, no poo poo, try a higher octane (That is what it is literary made for). I have worked with these carbs and I have worked with high compression engines. Always start with the easy fix first.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

kimbo305 posted:

Better link me!
You have the diaphragm already.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, forgot about octane -- I'm using 93 (R+M)/2, which is the highest you can normally get in the US.

Annnnnd here's the pics. I found out my friend got a blue NB, and the idea of a buddy cop car show came into my head.
I have no idea why Google Photos is so aggressive with recompressing the images, but these look artifacty even as big as I have them.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The more I see it the more I think a Europa is the offspring of a 911 and an El Camino.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Haha, they have an MX5 in Ex-Driver too.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The alternator allowing runon is a serious contender. I used one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VUCD54/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There may be a better automotive grade single diode, but I used mine to do some simple logic to control my fuel pump relay based on key position, an oil pressure switch, and tipover sensor.

I think what happens is the alternator backfeeds the ignition switch and hence coil via the exciter wire if there isn't a proper load to shut down the alternator. If your warning light doesn't provide this due to corrosion etc, you need something to keep the current flowing only the direction you intend.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Huh... is that why I've seen a lot of older (pre 80s) cars light up the alternator light briefly right when they're shut off?

I'd never heard of this stuff with the alternator before, it's good info to know for if/when I wind up with an older car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

All I can see is the Jordans.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I actually had a pair of red sneakers at one point, but must have donated them. It was down to these or some red and white snakeskin BKs.
The Jordans didn't seem they'd be a problem driving the car, but I couldn't heel toe and had trouble not hitting the gas while braking.
Drove home with the shoes off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd buy that rap album.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

I'd buy that rap album.
I'm getting a real MCM 2Sexy vibe.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Found 2 relevant threads on the run-on in the Yahoo group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lotuseuropa/conversations/topics/45051
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lotuseuropa/conversations/topics/40497

And one slightly less relevant one with an amusing take:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lotuseuropa/conversations/topics/80576

This is the first car I've owned where the premier user base is on an email group.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Larrymer posted:

I'd buy that rap album.

I like small cars and I cannot lie,

also your links require I join the weird email group, nope.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Weirdest engagement photos ever.

I know that's not even close to true.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I tried to watch exDriver; it's pretty trite, so I'm probably not gonna finish.
The car drawing is so accurate and clearly a labor of love. Some shots of the Europa:

After the driver gets crashed out and reports some damage to sway bar:

Did I mention that this is what the parking brake looks like?:

I don't get why they decided to make the car so true to life, but I can definitely appreciate it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't get why they decided to make the car so true to life, but I can definitely appreciate it.
When the creators are fanboys of something, anime and manga really gets the details right. It's basically an opportunity to :spergin: about stuff.

It's similar, for example, if you watch Shin Godzilla: They specifically label on screen all the military kit and trains that appear. The Japanese have elevated being shamelessly nerdy about this stuff to an art form. Guns are another thing where you'll find an incongruous level of detail being put in.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I missed before it had an underdash umbrella style park brake. That's so Japanese van/early ford falcon. I was pretty happy when ford got rid of them in the mid 90s.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

And now, with mixed feelings, I announce the sudden end of the Europa's stint in my life.

I've been house shopping in the Boston area for a while, trying to find something before I got priced out of here. Most of the good stuff in convenient locations have off street parking at best, and that's what I suddenly settled for. Between not having a garage spot (or having to rent one somewhere) and wanting to have cash on hand for buying the place, the Europa was suddenly much less viable.

I commented on a couple of the BaT Europa listings that this one was for sale, which netted three prospects. One was very serious, and after a 40-min convo with the PO, he was sold.
Wired me the money; I sent the title, and I dropped off the car with the shipper today.

This was a pretty nice trailer setup, and a fairly diligent driver, so worth walking through the process of getting a car shipped.
I would certainly use these guys for my future shipping needs.

Not shown: the drivers had their own cars in the trailer. One was a mid 2000s Forester, and I almost made fun of it, but merely asked "who's shipping a Forester?" before getting told it was the driver's.

Car and spare 5-speed trans:

I tried to capture how truncated/snubbed the rear of the car looks, but it doesn't come across in 2D.
The way the bottom panel (that the license plate is on) cants slightly toward the ground makes the car look very taut in person.

I packed the spares into the trunk, frunk, and passenger seat. Fit pretty easily, honestly:
http://imgur.com/a/iFWdR
The main issue was that the trans was way too heavy and bulky to ship in the car and risk having it rip the fiberglass (and whatever else on the way to the ground).
I perched it on the passenger seat while driving the mile to the pickup point, but the driver was fine with strapping that on the floor of the trailer.

Ramp was easy:

There's a little bridge to drive right over into the front trailer:

The Europa's not wide, so there wasn't a lot of stopping and checking. The driver was wearing Puma driving shoes, and that probably really helped.

Note the aftermarket 3rd brake light.

With the tires rolled over the lift:

Extremely flattering shot of the paint, btw.

And raised:

Probably will not sigificantly affect the roll center height of the truck.

Driver spotted some drips of oil on the filter and by the drain plug:

full album here:
http://imgur.com/a/XESUn

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah well, that's a shame.

Will you look at another interesting toy once you're settled into the new place, and maybe able to scope out storage somewhere?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seems like it was a good experience for you. It never seemed like a forever car, more of a stop-gap one... and it served its purpose well!

Good luck with the new house!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good luck with the new place and hopefully you get something ridiculous again soon.

Even if you do hate Foresters, you still seem like a pretty good person.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Aw, that's kind of a shame, but I'll look forwards to whatever the next awesome thing is.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

And now, with mixed feelings, I announce the sudden end of the Europa's stint in my life.

I've been house shopping in the Boston area for a while, trying to find something before I got priced out of here. Most of the good stuff in convenient locations have off street parking at best, and that's what I suddenly settled for. Between not having a garage spot (or having to rent one somewhere) and wanting to have cash on hand for buying the place, the Europa was suddenly much less viable.

Congrats on the house purchase! I know you've been circling this for a while.

Funnily enough, I was over in Watkins glen on friday for the town part of their vintage grand prix weekend.

I think I took three photos there, two were of these europas:

These are not large cars.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Thanks for sharing this (unfortunately short) journey with us. I've always been super curious about the Europas so it was nice to see some insider stuff. Congrats on the house purchase!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, I forgot that the drivers were named Dmitri and... Dmitri.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67UClVdc1hM&t=14s

I dunno what's next, but it'll have to be a car that can be sat outside without it getting significantly worse for the wear or me feeling guilty about it.
The house will have one off street parking spot, but it's not terribly wide, so I don't want some huge honker of a car like my Charger.

I've been trying to talk to this guy: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6294444305.html
But he's incredibly blase about making a sale. The 944 chassis and interior are great, and the LS is the LS.

Far off dreams (when I'll have garage space and money again):
- 2nd gen ZL1
- GT350
- Stratos kit
- 987 Boxster Spyder
- Lotus 7 clone. I really can't shake this one. Everything that was really good about the Europa -- how raw and light it was -- would be magnified here. Of course the negatives would be amplified, too.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, I forgot that the drivers were named Dmitri and... Dmitri.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67UClVdc1hM&t=14s

I dunno what's next, but it'll have to be a car that can be sat outside without it getting significantly worse for the wear or me feeling guilty about it.
The house will have one off street parking spot, but it's not terribly wide, so I don't want some huge honker of a car like my Charger.

I've been trying to talk to this guy: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6294444305.html
But he's incredibly blase about making a sale. The 944 chassis and interior are great, and the LS is the LS.

Far off dreams (when I'll have garage space and money again):
- 2nd gen ZL1
- GT350
- Stratos kit
- 987 Boxster Spyder
- Lotus 7 clone. I really can't shake this one. Everything that was really good about the Europa -- how raw and light it was -- would be magnified here. Of course the negatives would be amplified, too.

It sounds like what that guy really wants is 9 dirtbikes and a Passat

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Fayez Butts posted:

It sounds like what that guy really wants is 9 dirtbikes and a Passat

I'd just pony up the $14 he wants for it, much simpler.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Sounds like a supercharged FRS suits your needs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Two more dream cars:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-era-gt/
Mercedes SLS

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
That sucks but honestly you may be the luckiest eruopa owner out there, all good times with it.

What about a 914? Pretty similar to the europa and bit more liveable and safe. Also its just a bug/ghia so parts are dirt cheap anybody that knows a vw can work on it and its a dead simple car.

You can fit a subie flat four, a porsche flat 6 and you can fit an ls2. The aftermarket is strong because of how many people race them.

Im not sure a water proof one exists but a cover would do the trick lol.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think a 914 is not a bad idea, but one on par in price with the Europa would be a lot slower. Also they rust a lot, which was not as big of a deal in the Europa :unsmith:

Couple more things I forgot to mention:
- I loving forgot to pack the car cover. It's such a unique item that I'm gonna have to ship it out to the buyer
- when the driver was getting the car onto the ramps, I was looking at the shift linkage moving around in the back of the trans. The motion from reverse to 1st is very noticeable. He didn't catch 1st, so you could see the synchro rattling and spitting the linkage back into neutral. Going from neutral to 1st, it was a pretty short travel on the linkage. Might be hard to see from straight back, like Muffinpox reported.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

I really love old gt40 kit cars, I know of the real thing but never saw it in real life of course. I first saw a kit version 20 years ago just parked in the street in Perth, AU and fell in love - like wow, you can build them? Later I realised I'd never fit in one without gurney mods so I'd have to build my own which I had no way of doing.
I reckon find one of them or a unique porsche or BMW.

That said, it's great you got to send off the lotus with that photo shoot. At least you can tick that one off and have something to remember it by. Most of my cars never got good photos as that's something I didn't keep from the 80s and 90s.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 12, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

I would do unspeakable things to own a good (and from what I can tell, the ERA ones are good) GT40 clone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

I would do unspeakable things to own a good (and from what I can tell, the ERA ones are good) GT40 clone.

In the comments of that listing, all the various replica brand owners are at war about adherence to the original, trademark, and quality.
gently caress all that -- if it comes close to in looks and has a V8, it's good enough for me.

I saw this one: http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/ford/232304-rcr-mki-gt-40.html
It's over my budget (<= Europa) and also would not be an outdoors car, but drat, if that price is real.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
At least you've gained some experience with multi carb set ups :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

An extremely clean one with the Weber carbs and 140hp head went for 36k:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-lotus-europa-special-3/

The winning bidder has a lot of money to throw around -- I've bid against him a few times and he's usually willing to go over well over other bidders' stopping points.
He quit on the one I bought at under 13k though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

And now this decent one didn't sell:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-lotus-europa-twin-cam-2/
Maybe it just missed the small boat of interested buyers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's really the most Europa colour

• Locked thread