Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«49 »
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

Bit. Trip. RIP.

Nut up and be your own bank, nerds.

I've had 0 problems just using the Electrum wallet to make payments to coincards.ca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

You do bring up a good point. Banks have money, I lack sufficient money at least to my liking. What if I just ... started my own bank? I'd have lots of money!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

Why should I follow your Founder when he is not an Eighth Level anything outside his own cult?

1gnoirents posted:

You do bring up a good point. Banks have money, I lack sufficient money at least to my liking. What if I just ... started my own bank? I'd have lots of money!

there's a wacky tale in the YOSPOS thread of someone who wanted FREE CRYPTO MONEY so started an ICO, with a drunk as a business partner. also he was selling a thing he had to code, and could not code. it did not go well.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

How much are 1080 ti's making these days?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

A little above 2 dollars.

Edit: Right at the moment it's actually nearly 3 dollars https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

I'm the tortoise in the race, but I'm a joyful tortoise.

Yeah the 1080 Ti was down near $2/day for a while but in the past few days it's been going up a bit, over $3 right now.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

What and bitcoin broke 6k? Seems odd (like everything about crypto)

Sibling of TB
Aug 3, 2007

Bitcoin value going up but they're paying fewer bitcoins per hash.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Im sure its more complicated than this but its just supply and demand (processing power), its almost irrelevant what bitcoins are actually worth - within reason. Technically if I were receiving the same amount of bitcoins I was being paid out just two months ago my 1080ti would be getting over $10 a day. But back in June towards the end of the craze you could almost get that, despite the value of bitcoin being 30% or 40% of what it is now. But as GPU-time flooded the market so to speak the value of your hashes drops accordingly to whatever level people find it acceptable to continue doing it. While on one hand its disappointing that the mining returns absolutely do not correlate to the value of the bitcoins themselves, it makes little sense for it to be any other way. Not looking forward to Volta totally wrecking this.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

You are mining alt coins which have their own valuation to the us dollar. Bitcoin itself has its own valuations to the us dollar. Both valuations are driven by demand and speculation. You might or probably exchange your alt coin to btc and then to USD (to your local currency) or some variation of that. Lots of forex going on

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

True and I know im seriously oversimplifying at any rate, but at the same time I know no matter what its going to balance out to whatever is worth your time to do. Which for a 1080ti's level of GPU power, seems to be $2-$4. The value of etherium and bitcoin (admittidly I only pay attention to those two) fluctuated wildly over the past few months but there's one thing I can be sure about- im mining about $3 a day on that card lol.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Price now plummeting so fast from 6.1k+ coindesk's graph can't keep up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005
Weclome 2 teh Internt

Surprise Giraffe posted: