Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I made about 300 dollars after electricity. I just used it to buy the random Amazon things I was buying anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
*includes profits from trading as well as mining

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I only finally made minimum transfer to Coinbase just in time for mining to collapse 48 hours later, so I made nothing! Hooray!

Can you buy $1 of Bitcoin from Coinbase? Without problems or opening your bank account to vulnerabilities? Because what I mined before it collapsed is now worth $9.37, and I need $10 to buy a gift certificate. We’re close to 10,000 but just never quite getting there.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Craptacular! posted:

I only finally made minimum transfer to Coinbase just in time for mining to collapse 48 hours later, so I made nothing! Hooray!

Can you buy $1 of Bitcoin from Coinbase? Without problems or opening your bank account to vulnerabilities? Because what I mined before it collapsed is now worth $9.37, and I need $10 to buy a gift certificate. We’re close to 10,000 but just never quite getting there.

Just let it go

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fauxtool posted:

ITT post cool poo poo you bought with bitcoin.

I built an all AMD system for games using money my 1080ti mined for me. ryzen 1600 and rx 580 bought before the prices went to the moon.

I also got a pretty nice motorcycle helmet and a lot of other motorcycle gear. It was really nice having an account with money I could spend frivolously on myself without concern. I left the rest as bitcoin where it has appreciated considerably.

I bought my kids a Nintendo Switch (and controller. And OTHER controller. And charging dock. Seriously, the Switch is some nickel and diming bullshit) from mining with one 1070 from June to November/December.

E: I added a couple 1070s in November and a couple of 1080 Tis in December if I’ve got my timeline right.

I took out my last BTC when it rebounded recently. It’s been pretty good to me.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I used my 1080 to mine enough to pay for itself, sold it for a few burritos more than I paid for it at launch, took that money and bought a 1080Ti, which I then used to mine back the difference I'd spent on it, and have a few hundred burritos-worth sitting in various accounts waiting for prices to go back up enough for me to bother with pulling it out again.

So, basically, a free 1080Ti, which ain't bad for touching the lolbertarian fake money poo for a few months.

Still waiting for Nicehash to pay me out the rest of what they lost of mine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got five burritos

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I'm trying to download the legacy version of nicehash (now just called AMD) on my new Dell with the Vega M/Intel chip just for giggles. But chrome, edge, and internet explorer outright blocks the download with no apparent way to get around it. I looked into it briefly and because thats the open source version that code appears in malicious programs... an issue that is unavoidable for the time being.

Is there any way to download this? I feel very strange being cockblocked so hard without a way to download it even if it is flagged.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Boot from a Linux live CD and use curl or wget on the command line with the URL?

It depends on how the webpage handles its download link.

If it's a direct URL to the zip file or whatever then wget will grab it for you.

Then copy it to a second USB stick because the live CD will lose it when you reboot.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I had a kali stick lying around and I just tried chrome in that and it was fine with it. silly...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

I had a kali stick lying around and I just tried chrome in that and it was fine with it. silly...

firefox works fine too

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
My friend wants me to run a bitcoin node out of my house. What's a good reason to tell him no?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Because he's trying to steal your electricity.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they'll pay for electricity whatever, if they're not no way. If your house is small the noise could be a problem. I keep a towel on my NAS down the hall because the case alone shaking is enough to hear undamped. Why can't they run it at their house?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Withnail posted:

My friend wants me to run a bitcoin node out of my house. What's a good reason to tell him no?

You don’t want to

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Prices are crashing for Bitcoin itself which will absolutely tank altcoins. Do not do this it is beyond dumb and will cost you way more then you think.

Your friend is an idiot

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Iirc the nodes don't actually do much beyond eating a bit of bandwidth to fetch the latest block/transactions and distribute them to other nodes. Verifying a block is valid is trivially easy so they don't use much compute time.

I wouldn't run one because there is no reason to do so if you aren't a true bitcoin believer, and as a result running a node on a residential IP probably put the digital equivalent of a giant "I probably have bitcoins, try to hack me!" sign on your router.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 12, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Prices are crashing for Bitcoin itself which will absolutely tank altcoins. Do not do this it is beyond dumb and will cost you way more then you think.

Your friend is an idiot

That's the best part, nodes don't earn anything. It's the equivalent of asking a friend to host a seedbox for bittorrent, but instead of the good and just cause of distributing entertainment to the masses it's for the bad and unjust cause of destroying the planet via global warming

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Secret ASICs. "We’ve heard rumors of plenty of other secret ASICs. People who own secret ASICs tend not to talk about them very much, but as of March 2018, we had heard of secret ASIC rumors specifically for both Equihash and Ethash, and then for many other smaller coins that don’t have any ASICs on them yet. We believe a full 3 different groups were actively mining on Zcash with different ASICs prior to the Bitmain Z9 announcement."

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

divabot posted:

Secret ASICs. "We’ve heard rumors of plenty of other secret ASICs. People who own secret ASICs tend not to talk about them very much, but as of March 2018, we had heard of secret ASIC rumors specifically for both Equihash and Ethash, and then for many other smaller coins that don’t have any ASICs on them yet. We believe a full 3 different groups were actively mining on Zcash with different ASICs prior to the Bitmain Z9 announcement."

Hmmm.... seems like a clear signal to buy SiaCoin... thanks for the article

But seriously it’s obvious these guys are running the money printing machines and only selling them when they need a cash injection to build the next version. Otherwise why the gently caress would you sell a money making machine

I particularly enjoy the Dark souls images to represent Bitmain :cthulhu:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Yeah why even sell them at all, all you're doing is diluting the market with them to start with might as well be the one getting all the money for it. The company should be "we make our own ASICs and then use them thanks".

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

You sell them when you realize the network is likely to change in a way where they will no longer great money printing machines: e.g. when an anti-ASIC fork is imminent.

Butterfly Labs had this poo poo down back when bitcoin was nascent. Charge the entire cost upfront for a product you have yet to develop (development costs!). Promise a date soon to get people amped and send you $$. Don’t deliver on that date because you’re “testing” aka making a ton on of money as your ASICS are the only game on the block. Deliver a couple money printing machines a few months late just so you have a few excited customers talking about how great their products are. Once you’ve got a big enough supply online and aren’t making as much cash, announce new much faster product. Finally start sending out your machines that will a negative ROI at this point. Start the entire process over :angel:

That poo poo made them millions, right? Did they end up in jail?

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Iirc the nodes don't actually do much beyond eating a bit of bandwidth to fetch the latest block/transactions and distribute them to other nodes. Verifying a block is valid is trivially easy so they don't use much compute time.

I wouldn't run one because there is no reason to do so if you aren't a true bitcoin believer, and as a result running a node on a residential IP probably put the digital equivalent of a giant "I probably have bitcoins, try to hack me!" sign on your router.

Psssshhh.. You kids and your fancy-schmancy "routers"... Slap that junk directly on the internet!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

tonic posted:

That poo poo made them millions, right? Did they end up in jail?

Nah, it's the epitome of the American Dream. Screwing others is part of that, and it also doesn't matter if you got scammed big time, so long as you telling yourself you always have that miniscule chance of making a killing like the former.

Win win

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK, which one of you assholes drove by me in a riced out WRX with New Jersey license plate "HODL"

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

lol that is very SA

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

What's a wallet that doesn't try to get my phone number that I can easily deposit cash monies for bitcoin at an ATM or something? Coinbase is sketching me out with the weird phone number collection thing half all internet apps seem to do these days

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

To preface, I'm just trying to buy 1000s of dollars in bitcoins so I can retire nicely when they inevitably approach infinity dollars per coin. Naturally, I don't want "big wallet" all up in my business selling my phone number to telemarketers and databrokers

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont use a phone app if you dont want it connected to your phone. Also 1000s of dollars is less than a bitcoin. Nice try poor

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Imagine wanting to buy Bitcoin "so I can retire nicely" half a year after the hype has completely died out. You're better off buying a timeshare.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

After asking around, I hear electrum is pretty decent for bitcoining without linking your literal bank account and phone numbers to every transaction. A lot of the cash>BC ATMs in the city I live in can do a transaction with just a QR code for your public key address so I am going to try to figure out that route and start socking away my bit pennies for retirement!

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 12, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Marzzle posted:

After asking around, I hear electrum is pretty decent for bitcoining without linking your literal bank account and phone numbers to every transaction. A lot of the cash>BC ATMs in the city I live in can do a transaction with just a QR code for your public key address so I am going to try to figure out that route and start socking away my bit pennies for retirement!

Yeah Electrum is the least lovely wallet out there

Don’t think they won’t eventually get “hacked” somehow tho

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Lambert posted:

Imagine wanting to buy Bitcoin "so I can retire nicely" half a year after the hype has completely died out. You're better off buying a timeshare.

all my other retirement funds are tied up in Kentucky derby outcome futures

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yeah Electrum is the least lovely wallet out there

Don’t think they won’t eventually get “hacked” somehow tho

or that it's happened lots already

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Marzzle posted:

Is there some reason buying a $20 burner phone+$20-40 cell phone plan at Dollar General, Walgreens, etc isn't an option?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Oh ok, then he’s safe

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Oh ok, then he’s safe

you cant steal my money if i already lost it all gambling on crypto. May i interest you in weedcoin? Dennis rodman endorsed it and he's a man who knows his money

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$6277, this is good for bitcoin, it's mathematically impossible to fall to $6000 so buy the dip and hodl boys

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In "poo poo everyone who paid attention already knew" news, researchers say Tether was artificially inflating the price of Bitcoin last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

well they should do it again :cool:

• Locked thread