Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arteryman
Mar 18, 2006
If you don't try you can't lose.

Lambert posted:

My hobby is having my PC run YouTube on autoplay all day without a monitor connected. It makes the place a little warmer and louder but it's a decently fun hobby.

I mean if it paid comparably...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You can do folding and get a little money, do :science:, and heat your room at the same time. I liked it because I got to sperg out over the performance of various cards on various different projects over time and stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Mining in a normal house is not profitable this summer. BTC is way lower than in the winter, and you now have to double your electrical cost to account for air conditioning to counter the heat (as opposed to partly writing off the electrical cost in the winter for saving on heating). Glad I sold my stack of 1070's at the absolute peak of card prices. I was telling everyone in the thread to sell at that time so I hope people mostly listened.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Pro miners use 18" riser cables to enable them to mount the entire fixture outside a window; dump that heat right back into mother nature!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

DrDork posted:

Pro miners use 18" riser cables to enable them to mount the entire fixture outside a window; dump that heat right back into mother nature!

gently caress you mom!

Arteryman
Mar 18, 2006
Even with it being summer and quite hot outside, I'm doing about 3-4x return on the electricity costs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Arteryman posted:

Even with it being summer and quite hot outside, I'm doing about 3-4x return on the electricity costs.

Are you doubling the KWH cost to account for the air conditioning to counter it?

Even by NiceHash's extremely optimistic calculator, it says that 10c/KWH plus another 10c/KWH for AC, a GTX 1070 would use $6 of electricity a week for $8 income, so $2 a week profit. Factor the extra watts of the rest of the PC like the CPU and the fact that the NiceHash calculator is full of poo poo, and I'm almost certain you're losing money.

Maybe you yourself are getting much better returns by micromanaging, but I don't see how a "set and forget" setup for the average Joe is going to make any profit these days.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have solar on the roof so I can add another 20 1080tis and keep blasting the AC

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Arteryman posted:

Well done! What are you mining for that return?

(and what are your electricity/hardware costs etc?)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

I have solar on the roof so I can add another 20 1080tis and keep blasting the AC

Well, you are a good person then, thank you for supporting sustainable energy. Even though it is probably offset by other people burning fuel to process your coins, lol

Maybe one day we'll all get there if we don't wind up underwater first.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
At least coinsanity is coming to an end, that'll ease the transition to renewable.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unless they somehow neuter the 11xx GPUs in mining only I can only forsee another GPU drought. Luckily the 10xx are still more than overkill for most games

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, had no idea bitcoin is back at 8000, I would have guessed 5-6k

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fauxtool posted:

Same, but I don't feel like wasting my GPUs since the December craze. I mean, back then it was a no brainer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fauxtool posted:

unless they somehow neuter the 11xx GPUs in mining only I can only forsee another GPU drought. Luckily the 10xx are still more than overkill for most games

The drop in demand for GPUs has way more to do with the market though. Nearly all coins will just adjust difficulty to the amount of hashing power anyway. If a bunch of people run out and buy 11xx series cards their output will just end up being the same as the 10xx series they are unloading right now.

There will be a spike in demand, but unless the market heats up with another big rise in coin value you probably won't see the same kind of GPU drought like you did.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

Seems unlikely to me, unless you expect crypto to get back to 2017-era hype levels.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, cards that are 20-30% more efficient aren't really going to change the calculus all that much. Oh, great, instead of making $2/day with a 1070, I can make $2.50/day with an 1170! If the 1170 costs $450 and I can dump the 1070 for $250, that's only 400 days to make up the costs of upgrading!

What drove the GPU market crazy for coins was BTC spiking like crazy, not improved GPU efficiencies. I don't doubt we'll get some True Believers who do it anyway, but the math doesn't support Average Joe getting involved anymore.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

DrDork posted:

Yeah, cards that are 20-30% more efficient aren't really going to change the calculus all that much. Oh, great, instead of making $2/day with a 1070, I can make $2.50/day with an 1170! If the 1170 costs $450 and I can dump the 1070 for $250, that's only 400 days to make up the costs of upgrading!

What drove the GPU market crazy for coins was BTC spiking like crazy, not improved GPU efficiencies. I don't doubt we'll get some True Believers who do it anyway, but the math doesn't support Average Joe getting involved anymore.

$2 / day with a 1070 is laughable, more like 75 cents these days

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
So,

With chink money about get to smashed into oblivion by trade war, mainlanders are going back to using BTC to safeguard their cash. I fully expect the US agencies to help them out here, too. If you've got a pot and want to cash it out, a slow burn through established exchanges with exposure to mainland markets is probably going to be the best deal you'll get for some time. JTLYK

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Oh, for sure man.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I heard that soon we will be buying soylent green so better save up gold statists.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Axe-man posted:

I heard that soon we will be buying soylent green so better save up gold statists.

Food is the only currency.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

This Jacket Is Me posted:

So,

With chink money

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey now it's a common term with us financial types

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Hey now it's a common term with us financial types

I googled it and was rewarded with a nerdcore rap:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9TUDbQDW5S0

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

This Jacket Is Me posted:

So,

With chink money about get to smashed into oblivion by trade war, mainlanders are going back to using BTC to safeguard their cash. I fully expect the US agencies to help them out here, too. If you've got a pot and want to cash it out, a slow burn through established exchanges with exposure to mainland markets is probably going to be the best deal you'll get for some time. JTLYK

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I mean sure I hope youre right cause its self serving but wow what a post

Still mining to echo above, about to dump them all for the new gen though. Just need to decide when exactly.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Got an email from @bitcore.io saying I have received "A payment of 0.001102 BTC has been received into your wallet."

From the miner that ripped us off last year? Can't even remember the name, haven't checked my wallet yet. Hmm.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

LRADIKAL posted:

Got an email from @bitcore.io saying I have received "A payment of 0.001102 BTC has been received into your wallet."

From the miner that ripped us off last year? Can't even remember the name, haven't checked my wallet yet. Hmm.

Nicehash. They are, against all odds, paying everybody back (who kept up with their address)

edit: in bitcoin of course when the value has dropped 125%, but still.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, it's really surprised me, too, but they're slowly paying out. For me, at least, they're about 60% of the way there.

Arteryman
Mar 18, 2006
Margins are razor thin. Mining mostly to speculate at this point.

Edit:
You know you can pick up 1080 ti's on eBay for like $450 shipped these days?

One thing I have my eye on is RNDR, if it really materializes. Most likely ideal setup here is something like a 32-core Threadripper, with 128GB of fast RAM, large SSD's and your 1080ti's (2080ti? 1180ti?) in 8x/16x shielded risers. I priced it out right now to like $4,000 with the graphics cards on hand already. I hope RNDR does materialize and gives me an excuse to build something so dumb.

Arteryman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 24, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arteryman posted:

Margins are razor thin. Mining mostly to speculate at this point.

Edit:
You know you can pick up 1080 ti's on eBay for like $450 shipped these days?

One thing I have my eye on is RNDR, if it really materializes. Most likely ideal setup here is something like a 32-core Threadripper, with 128GB of fast RAM, large SSD's and your 1080ti's (2080ti? 1180ti?) in 8x/16x shielded risers. I priced it out right now to like $4,000 with the graphics cards on hand already. I hope RNDR does materialize and gives me an excuse to build something so dumb.

I saw that earlier, and it combines render farm tier data storage and processing capacity, PLUS the high network link speed to move the huge asset files around, PLUS who the gently caress knows what you're storing? It's novel from a tech standpoint, but implementation is gonna be a shitshow compared to just getting one of the various Amazon Render server setups available.

syllabus
Aug 24, 2018
I have 4x Titan X setup in my regular rig not doing anything most of the time when I am not gaming. Worth it to put a miner on it or will I just be wasting electricity?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Waste of electricity, at this point.

syllabus
Aug 24, 2018
That sucks...I had a guy at work that was all raging about his crypto rigs...haven't heard anything about it recently...guess that's why.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

OTOH, 4x Titans is already a waste of money.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

syllabus posted:

I have 4x Titan X setup in my regular rig not doing anything most of the time when I am not gaming. Worth it to put a miner on it or will I just be wasting electricity?

You didn't think to flip those before RTX was announced? I'd grab one for $500 if ya put em on SA Mart.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Paul MaudDib posted:

It is all a waste

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
life is a waste, end it now and save the trouble

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Paul MaudDib posted:

...yes, at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Are ASICs just going to basically kill crypto altogether?

• Locked thread