Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Man, my return is crap. On windows 10 with a 1070, what version of nicehash/ what drivers should I be running? I'm only at like $4.75 a day right now.

I'm also putting my EVGA SC on Craigslist for $500 so this is just burrito money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

metallicaeg posted:

I'm no expert but that doesn't seem bad. I'm about $6.50 a day on a 1080

Calculator was telling me 6-something before, but now it's only at 5.40. I'm still like 20% below the calculator, and I thought there were some problems with certain drivers or Windows 10.

Maybe I'm just greedy.

PerrineClostermann posted:

How hard is it to sell your​ cards without losing out on fees or PayPal fraud?

Fees are going to be steep regardless. Craigslist is usually pretty good if you're in/near a city though, meet in person and only accept cash or a MO.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

4.50 is normal on a 1070. $6-7 was last week. Its going to keep going down because bitcoin is inherently bad and dumb. Make sure you stop before your electricity costs are higher than your mining profit.

Ok, I guess the hype is dying quickly then. Still holding out hope I can flip my GPU on Craigslist.

I included links to the mining calculator and everything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Godinster posted:

Did I gently caress something up on NiceHash for my coinbase? I've been mining for a day and a half or so but Coinbase still shows 0. I used the "My Wallet" bitcoin address as my Bitcoin Address in NiceHash, is that not the correct one to use?

MaxxBot posted:

Nicehash deposits into your wallet once a week, if you go on the stats page it lists when the payout is.

You also need to hit minimums before they will send.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It may also take 2 months to get the ant miner after you pay for it. The last bubble like this people got delivered worthless hardware after it popped.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Let me be the voice of reason here. Years ago goons laughed off buttcoin as a moronic idea, perhaps the stupidest thing in the universe and said it would fail. Yet here we are. Do what you feel is right.

Yes, if only you listened to the bright captains of industry of Bitcoin and invested heavily 4 years ago on the largest exchange, Mt Gox. Why, think about what those coins would be worth!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nahh, it's already bouncing back, like a healthy dead cat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

The payout barely seems worth it, down now to $3.30 on my 1070 doing 415 sol/s EH. Oh well this was amusing to look into for a bit.

Yeah, I'm just sorta rounding poo poo off before getting my last nicehash deposit. Maybe ETH will spike again soon?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fruit Chewy posted:

:laffo: at 1080ti nicehash mining already being down to like $6.50/day from last weeks ~$10.

My 1070 was @ like $3.77 yesterday. Falling like a rock.

Junior Jr. posted:

I've been using MinerGate for a while now to make some monero, but it doesn't fully support NVIDIA cards which is bullshit. So now I want to try out NiceHash, does anyone have any good experience with this?

I think most of us are using Nicehash. It is super easy but the values are plummeting. I was getting like $6 a day a week ago and now I'm approaching half that. Good times are coming to end, I hope everyone enjoyed their free burritos.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

^^ Don't do that, just sell. Don't speculate on the market, a bunch of those altcoins you talked about might be completely dead or the exchange you are using will go away.

If you bought bitcoin in 2010 you probably bought and stored your coins on Mt. Gox.

cheese-cube posted:

:lol: Wait is it actually possible to make money out of mining crypto currencies? Remember to subtract energy costs, exchange fees, getting cyber-robbed and/or completely scammed when you do your math.

There was/is a brief window because Bitcoin bubbled (it is not possible to make money home-mining bitcoin), and it caused Etherium and other coins to bubble as well and suddenly you had GPU-friendly algorithms that had hash difficulties that were pretty reasonable on a handful of GPUs. Combine that with that fact that there are a few applications that make mining easy and a few people could make some modest profit after costs.

This thread has people who made a bit under lunch money in profit and people were pretty loudly telling others not to invest any overhead in this. More.... Enthusiastic forums have people spending $14k buying up overpriced 1060s and they probably haven't even gotten them mining yet, so that's hilarious.

A bunch of other people have also sold off their used GPUs for more than they bought them for, which as always, the guy selling shovels is the only person to profit in a gold rush.

Anyway, it looks like Etherium is falling like a stone and its quickly approaching unprofitable unless you run a chinese asic farm with bribes in place to get free electricity.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

How much did ya'll make?

I started kinda late and I shut off my miner frequently when I wanted to use my PC, and wasn't super good about always remembering to turn it on. I also had my PC freeze once and probably lost 24 hours on that. I give that background to state I am a super lazy miner who really only ran it when it was low effort. I'm running a 1070 and I messed around a lot with timings and underclocking and didn't really see a big difference so just left it default.

Looking right now I have $28 in bitcoin and I used about $4 and change on electricity (about 40 kwh).

Risky Bisquick posted:

How are you guys unprofitable? I'm positive over $0.73 USD using a r9 390

I'm still profitable, but at some point it's not worth it to keep it going. Last night I was at like $3.60 a day and using a bit less than a dollar in extra power a day.

cheese-cube posted:

How much did you invest for that gain?

$0. All existing hardware I use to mostly play PUBG.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

So if I understand this right ya'll have expended a not-insignificant amount of time to earn less in a week than you'd usually get for an hour of work at min wage?

Maybe 15-20 minutes total? And I usually spend some time every week futzing around with my computer.

Installing nicehash takes like 5 minutes, maybe another 5 getting an account on coinbase, and I screwed around with GPU settings for a while. That's really about it. Nicehash is literally a "START" and "STOP" button.

Like, I understand you have this weird rage about people running a GPU and taking advantage of people willing to spend money buying funny money, but for most people here there was very little cost and very little effort.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

It's not free. People just see promises of free money and leave their reasoning at the door.

Please justify your posting in this thread while taking into account opportunity cost and electricity/hardware depreciation of the machine you are posting with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Whelp, I'm out. Turning off nicehash and cashing out my tens of dollars.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arivia posted:

I'm pretty sure you're being exactly the guy everyone is worried about buying a pre-broken used 1070 from in two months

The 1070s are designed to fail gracefully if you overclock and they actually package the software to do it with the product. They literally market the ability to OC. Nothing he said it outside of the spec of the card.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Definitely, assuming you don't need any of the Tesla-specific features like NVLink or RDMA-over-Infiniband then it's basically just a consumer Tesla card.

edit: does anyone here do machine learning? Do you know if machine learning networks are designed to scale across multiple cards, and if so can they do that reasonably well without the high-speed interconnects on Tesla (just peer-to-peer RDMA over PCIe)? Or is it single-card-only?

Depends on the tool you are using. In tensorflow you can, but you need to model your data in such a way that each gpu can take a particular set. Other packages like deeplearning4J don't even always use the GPU all that efficiently to start with. But yeah, a lot of Dev environments will use multiple GPU systems.

For production it usually just makes more sense to use cloud computing, that's what we do.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ignoring software ecosystem issues, do you see any benefit to Vega's compute uarch over an NVIDIA equivalent with an equivalent amount of capacity or connectivity for this or any other common GPGPU tasks? At least from the presentation slides? (it's launch day and Vega is MIA)

I think at one point they showed off M.2 NVMe onboard capability - but I'm not sure how 2 TB of relatively slow (4 GB/s) scratch or storage space really helps vs the 16 GB/s on the PCIe bus. NVIDIA has long-since supported RDMA to certain PCIe SSDs on the bus too, IIRC, what's the benefit of an onboard mount over RDMA, or over just having buttloads of system RAM, or is it just a way of getting more lanes to the card?

Software ecosystem is kind of everything, thats why CUDA is such a big thing. Honestly, I only use non-cloud for doing POC-type work, so I really only care about memory size and if its CUDA-compliant to what my team is doing. Hell, we'll sometimes just CPU work rather than deal with some loving weird rear end implementation that isn't working with the GPUs on the first try.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

So are everyone's shovels worthless now?

I have the cheapest 1070 listed in the Twin Cities @ $400 but no buyers. My plan is to sell at $400 and then scoop up a 1080 on the crash but I am starting to lose patience anyway. I have had offers at $380, which is still a nice price, but not really worth it for me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I've found that you pretty much never want to have the cheapest Craigslist listing because people assume there is something wrong with it.

Also everyone is going to try and knock a few bucks off the price. Use it to your advantage and price higher so they can negotiate you down and feel like they are getting a deal.

Yeah, I had that going too and still had a lot of lowball offers. I think the buying market is just drying up quickly. The 2-4 weeks until flood sounds about right.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Play Stardew Valley until Volta comes out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

I don't think Bitcoin Cash is gonna go far, hell it's not even supported on Coinbase so I don't see any point in mining them.

Also GPU mining seems to be running back to normal, now I can get slightly bigger profits instead of just 2 bucks a day.

What's normal?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1070 prices have crept back up. I relisted mine in the hopes of getting a free year of use out of it. 1080s are back to fairly "normal" values on the used market. The GPU economy is weird.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Remember, with Nicehash you're selling hash power to buyers. Profit will always be tied to the price of GPU mineable altcoins and therefore the demand for hashrate. When BTC price is climbing, this tends to go up, when it's stable or down, it tends to go down. If you're concerned about it, you could try and educate yourself about all of this, but the point of Nicehash is pretty much to let it sit there and give you money without having to pay much attention. So you should probably just let it sit there and give you money until it doesn't.

If you actually invested in GPUs to mine with and haven't recouped those costs yet, you should either do a lot more reading or sell them right now while the prices are still inflated.

I wish this fit as the thread title.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

inkwell posted:

Figured. Does nicehash actually save your balance in altcoins or in bitcoin? i.e. will I see my mBtc balance fall if a particular coin crashes, or what?

You're not getting the coins you are mining. You are contracting your processing power out to a bidder to do whatever they want with it (right now, likely mining). That guy is paying in Bitcoin. That is what you are being paid with, less Nicehash's cut. Someone is probably making more money with your hashing power than you are, maybe some idiots are making less, maybe someone is doing something illegal with your GPU and you may or may not be liable, who knows.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Everyone who says they wish they got in at $1 would also have kept it in Mt. Gox.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Winminer's output is crap for me, are the good payouts already gone?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

I agree, but my understanding is they're just making much large payments to Coinbase while Coinbase itself just makes funds available to users without actually transferring any money at all thus avoiding fees completely. So Nicehash can just give them 100 bitcoins (for example) at a reasonable fee, much less than the percentage its making off mining, especially later when they start requiring fees for Coinbase transfers too.

Personally I like having it in Coinbase because thats yet another free and instant transfer to GDAX but its a lot of poop touching. Nothing will beat $10 payout limits directly to Paypal or Amazon with winminer. Its actually nice to have choices...

The downside of Nicehash is the lost/stole $60 million from their users. The upside is they have a shady, opaque deal with a crypto currency exchange.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What are you getting on Nicehash vs Winminer? The difference was like 10% the last few times I checked, and the conversion to get out more than made up that difference unless I was going to play crypto-whack-a-mole on the exchanges themselves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well, cashed out of Winminer because it was getting pretty crappy. Swallowed my common sense and went back to Nicehash because it swore it only stole my money last time because it loved me and now its changed, baby. Nicehash is like 2x more on my 1070 & 8700k than Winminer was.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DrDork posted:

Just sweep it out to Coinbase and sell that poo poo every ~$15 or so and you'll be fine.

I'm fairly certain coinbase will pull a Mt Gox at some point too, but since I'm talking about fairly small amounts I'm not too worried about it. Winminer's Amazon/Paypal pay out was super nice though, and when I started I was getting like 90% daily profit. Oh well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

My 1070 is down to around $3 a day on nicehash, so it might be time to turn it off. That's sorta the demarcation line for me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Before or after electricity?

Before. Daily power cost for me is something on the order of $1.00-$1.50, not counting heating "savings".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

How is your power so expensive, I can run 5 rx580s on $2 a day

Mine's only $0.10 a kwh + a seasonal adjustment (which might not be anything now, I had to factor that in during the summer), but my estimate was basically 300w draw +/- running 24 hours coming out to about 9KWH.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"Everybody is stupid except me"

-A thing everyone thinks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The new Nicehash client bumped my daily to over $5, guess I'll keep it going for a while longer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yeah, there’s no reason to distrust the nice mining company who lost 60million dollars from your wallets 🙂

And also changed the payment options without warning

What’s the big deal? It’s crypto

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't leave it in coinbase's wallet either. Transfer it to a cold storage wallet or into fiat asap.

I mean, that is the rule of the game right now, which is to mearly minimize your loss when Coinbase/Entire Bitcoin Ecosystem goes tits up, there is really no way to avoid it entirely. Other than not to play.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, I am not touching storage crypto with a 10 foot pole.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is it getting that bad? When I sold my 1060 a few days ago I was still getting about 3.50. That was with a customized setup of Multipoolminer that I was using and alternating between miningpoolhub and nicehash but still.

Winminer in particular is low, but it's also the easiest by far to cash out of. I made a quick $25 from them a while ago, but then the return dropped to about 70% of nicehash.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Turned off mining again. Will check it now and then to see if it goes above $4 day for a 1070, but I think the gravy train is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

lol it just keeps inching up

Bitcoin keeps going down so

• Locked thread