Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fauxtool posted:

If you buy games you can never play them because you are busy mining. If you buy a second rig capable of gaming, that means it could mine too. Help I'm trapped in a loop and my room is really warm

You can play your games when the current bubble pops. Win/win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

xthetenth posted:

Coinbase is showing eth at $328 now? What's that tweet pointing to?

It was a flash crash. Somebody dumped a bunch of Eth, causing the price to crater. Then it quickly rebounded. This had no effect on anyone holding Eth or mining Eth.

Hilariously though, some people were margin trading eth. The crash triggered various margin calls and stop loss type things, so the margin traders were wiped out.

Using your spare GPU cycles to mine is all fun and games, and if it all goes to poo poo won't cost you more than some wasted electricity. Do not attempt to margin trade on unregulated exchanges.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1gnoirents posted:

But yes, we are entering uncharted territory here throwing modern Nvidia cards into the do-math-now mode. There is a possibility they unravel and explode being used 24/7. But there is absolutely no precedent or actual reason to think so based on 1) how things work and 2) reality.

Poor ventilation is a real concern though.

Whenever I buy like a toaster or something it always says that it's for normal residential use only, and commercial use voids the warranty. Because obviously a restaurant will put a lot more wear and tear on a toaster than a normal family will.

I don't know if video cards have a clause like that, but if they did mining is arguably 'commercial use' not normal consumer/residential use. They can be used for mining, but that isn't what they are designed to do, and the warranty claims are based on normal use.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fauxtool posted:

im running mine in a low noise, not optimized for airflow case. If it doesnt burn out here it wont in the open air milk crate in the picture. Dont buy if it doesnt have a warranty, its very simple.

The bitcoin threads always say open milk crate rigs are worse than one in a modern case. Even if you point a big room fan at it. I don't understand how it works though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Palladium posted:

So high $/BTC is good and low is also good?

All things work together for good to them that love Bitcoin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fauxtool posted:

I am too considering none of those pictures are recent

People are just as dumb now as they were 5 years ago.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MaxxBot posted:

I still don't understand the crypto market fully, what would make the decline pause like this? Looking at the difficulty chart for ZCash it was steadily going up for a while but seems to have leveled off.

https://www.coinwarz.com/difficulty-charts/zcash-difficulty-chart

In addition to what others have said, you can't expect crypto markets to be rational. It is an entirely speculative commodity. There is no underlying fundamental value or utility for most of these 'currencies'. A few of them can be used to buy illegal things online, but most of them have no use at all. The price is buoyed solely by the hope that they will somehow be worth more in the future. It is hilariously unstable. Trying to predict the highs and lows is like trying to predict a roulette wheel.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is actually good for ETH, because... gently caress I don't know but the price went slightly up

I self owned myself this week, I've been wanting a Switch for a few weeks now and I had the cash but for some reason I decided to buy a couple ETH with it instead of a Switch and Zelda.:blush:
Eh, it will probably bounce back. Probably. At least you didn't buy mining hardware. :shobon:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Obviously all miners should just hire a chartered accountant to do their taxes from now on. Pay an accountant like 200 bucks to declare your $47 worth of burritos.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

Instead of theorycrafting potential tax implications, perhaps call the IRS directly and find out your specific query.

Oh, sure. Then call the dutch police and tell them your username is on the list of buyers by accident.

If anyone doesn't follow the other bitcoin thread(s), the Dutch police are having a good time.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 22, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Irrational self interest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If y'all are sad that you're not making as much as few weeks ago, or your graphics card was never good enough to make any money in the first place, there are other options for having your computer devices pretend to do work for giftcards. Mostly pretending to watch videos with advertisements. Since the necessary computing power is low even phones and tablets can get into it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820124

You can even have a dodgy milkcrate style mining farm. :woop:

Rexxed posted:

Last week I setup my spare phones as a YooLotto farm (10 phones is the max right now) which can hang on the wall with some velcro, zip ties, command hooks and a plastic plant crate thing. It's either going to be a good idea or a good way to drop 10 phones on the ground at the same time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

jesus sorry i made the mistake of going to reddit, i think i had some pent up rage there.

it's still pretty good advice for just about everybody tbh including me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

bbbut Crypto is crashing any day now :argh: I guess I'm going to save my crypto giftcards for volta and a 2080

ed: I bought an appliance off amazon with fake e-money

Paid by Amazon.ca Rewards Visa: CDN$ 123.97
Paid by Gift Certificate: CDN$ 180.00

How are you cashing out in .ca? The only thing I could find to take my butts was Steam. All the other common suggestions were all "no gently caress you we only deal with americans".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.coincards.ca 5% fee. Sort of high but consider you don't need to scan your photoid to quadrigacx to get actual cash. If you want cash-like convert it into grocery giftcards or costco.

Nice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yay my nicehash value broke $40. Later: Oh, it's back down to $39. :smith:

What a wild ride.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Wait thats per day? :S

Nah, that's the total balance. I'm not crazy. Not crazy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuarkJets posted:

If not a waste of time then merely a waste of the Earth's resources

It's okay, most goons make up for that by not producing any offspring.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah more like today lol

My trapped nicehash balance keeps going down. I probably lost $30 or $40 by the time it deposits tomorrow. Do you have any idea what kind of burrito that could have been

Sorry for your loss.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RIP

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Waited a bit too long to flip it on eBay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

Turn power into :snoop:

Please do not exchange bitcoins for tiny men. Slavery is wrong, no matter how tiny.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MaxxBot posted:

One of my rooms has 3 GPUs in it and there's a pretty substantial temperature increase, I can't imagine what a room with 50+ GPUs in it feels like.

It's like walking on sunshine. And don't it feel good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

divabot posted:

yeah, basically bitcoin is clogged and the transactions are currently backed up something like four or five days even if blocks were being created every 10 minutes, which they're not because miners are bouncing between BTC and BCH.

why the hell does nicehash pay out in BTC anyway, Coinbase trade in ETH perfectly well.

Network effect. At least that's the reason bitcoiners give whenever you ask why bitcoin will be the one to go tot he moon instead of the dozens of altcoins. :newlol:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knifegrab posted:

OK so in layman's terms so I understand it: Install nicehash, it looks at your GPU/CPU and says "Hey today, you would do really great if you mined ethereum!" So I mine ethereum for nicehash and it goes "Hey great job, thanks for the ethereum I'll trade you what you mined for some bitcoin which I will put in your bitcoin wallet."

Is that correct?

It is even stupider than that, but close enough. Burn electricity, receive bitcoins.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The nicehash downsy bitcoin face logo is just unfortunate when giving bad news. :downs:

They have a video update so you can see the professional team who just lost all the bitcoins. Unfortunately it's on Facebook not YouTube, so I don'think it can embed here. :https://www.facebook.com/NiceHash/videos/2013146182237851/

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

I mean poo poo on my wooden thing that sits in a wintered garage safely all you want

Okay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zero VGS posted:

Eh that was in 2013... not handwaving it but every protein powder and supplement place is as bad as that or worse; supplements have not a fraction of the FDA oversight that food does.

It was pretty funny when they made Soylent Chew Bars that gave everyone explosive diarrhea though.

To be fair, Dysentery is great for weight loss. Slim Faster.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paul MaudDib posted:

(why are people so uptight about the term bcash?)

People might get the idea that it's not the REAL bitcoin and is just another lovely altcoin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nitrousoxide posted:

The homepage says "Payments from 0.001 Bitcoin" which is about $16.64

That is only a payout to a nicehash wallet. it is more for an external wallet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Craptacular! posted:

Uh, what is a paper wallet? To the layman like me it sounds like you're getting physical manifestation of digital currency as proof of ownership and sticking it into a wallet from Wal-Mart.

I mean the OP basically instructs you to use CoinBase and their iOS app was top of the store for like the past week so it's kind of hard to dismiss the vague smell of elitism in that post but I'll just go ahead and be the guy who asks and gets it out of the way.

It is just a print out of your address and private key. You delete all online records, so the only record of your private key is on the piece of paper.

Then you lose the piece of paper.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't understand how bitcoin is surviving with those kind of transaction fees. Why haven't folks jumped ship to other currencies?

Bitcoin was initially promoted as a payment network, but it's not really used as a payment network. Those fees don't affect you if you are just trading one coin for another internally on an exchange, or if you are eternally hodling.

It's useless for normal people, but normal people were never the target market.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1gnoirents posted:

Etheruem going to the moon

:nws:

:nms:

http://crypto-pussies.com/

It is what you think, click with caution.

Ethereum up 17% since its release 6 hours ago

Why do all the cartoon women look sad or angry? Not a single smile. Even in their wildest fantasies women aren't happy to see them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuarkJets posted:

Wasn't Canada one of those countries where people can't withdraw from Coinbase? Or was that Australia?

You can't withdraw Actual Money. The internal nicehash to coinbase transfer is just the fastest way to get the money off the nicehash servers, because you have to mine at least 10 times as much to pay out to an external wallet.

Then you can send your bitcoins from coinbase to another bitcoin address without telling them you are a dirty canadian. Coinbase doesn't say a peep when I send my bitcoins to coincards.ca

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nitrousoxide posted:

So apparently coinbase's exchange, GDAX does free maker limit orders, so you can get your bitcoins from nicehash sent for free to coinbase, then transfer it over to GDAX for free, do a free maker limit order to transfer into Bitcoin cash, etherium, litecoin, or I think even USD, then transfer for free back to coinbase and move it to a cold storage wallet from there using one of the lower transfer fee coins or into your bank account for free I think.

Wow it's all so easy!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prescription Combs posted:

Direct transfer to coinbase from nicehash is now 0.004 :|

lol it just keeps inching up

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Syrinxx posted:

I'm not a financial genius but I've been trying to wrap my head around it and I just don't loving understand why you'd want crypto that was tied 1:1 to the dollar. Like what in the gently caress use does it have ever

It is supposed to be all the perks of US dollars without US government oversight. Exchanges using an all-token economy believe they don't need to follow know your customer regulations and whatnot.

One weird trick to keep the men with guns at bay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This never would have happened if they'd just been their own bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

Someone previously asked why you wouldn't give your primary banking info to exchanges. Namaste

Oddly enough, the people who gave their banking info weren't hit. The extra charges all went to people using credit or debit cards.

• Locked thread