Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Turns out the real money is in shovels and shovel accessories.

The guy behind optiminer doesn't ask you to pay him, he just takes 1% of your cycles to mine for himself. That's the deal for using his optimized miner.

That's a few million in fake dollars from checking the known deposit addresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Stealthgerbil posted:

Would it be worth buying some cheap usb asic to mine a lot of lovely alt coins for fun? Are there even poo poo alt coins that I can get large numbers of? I kind of want to mine up a bunch of whatever new gimmick coins comes out. I regret not mining things when I heard about them.

No, because most of the gimmick alt coins are deliberately designed to not work with buttcoin ASIC miners. If they could still mine they would still be mining something.

Get a GPU for the games you want to play, maybe let some idiots offset your purchase price some. Whatever you do, avoid the following conversation with yourself: "Hey, look, some poop. I'm just going to pick it up and take a good smell of it. Whoof, that's some smelly poop. I think I should take a good roll around in it."

If electronics fascinate you maybe buy an FPGA eval kit. At least it can be turned into something useful (knowledge).

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Oh god I'm touching the poop.

My card is only 2GB so it's about to stop doing anything, and I'm not buying another.

That said - claymore_zcash starts at 160/s then after a half hour it just goes "click" and the fans start to spin down and it ends up at ~88/s instead. Thermals only get to ~72C so I don't think it's that, but maybe?

Is there a way to feed the environment variables from inside nicehash or should I just write a batch file and run it directly? I think it's not reserving enough system RAM or something.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

craig588 posted:

If anyone manages to crack the bios flashing protection on Pascal

Oh that's trivial. It's just a signed hash of the firmware, so all you need to do is increment the nonce until you collide with one of the known firmware versions. If only there were a distributed grid of hashpower taking up way too much of the world's electricity right now.

Kidding aside, if they didn't do SHA256 signed by something like ECDSA their brains are broken. To put that in perspective, the current buttcoin hashpower is 5 million trillion hashes per second. So it'd only take 7,343,486,126,161,605,493,630,833,650,982,236,672 times the full heat-death of the universe to collide a single SHA256 hash. Good crypto is fun.

Nobody answered my question a page or so ago: Anyone else seeing claymore_zcash throttle their GPU way back for no apparent reason? It's sitting at 64c/52% fan and the limits are set to 75c. I know the algo is designed to require more resources than a standard ASIC design, so is it pulling from system RAM? If it is, I probably don't have my environment setup properly for it. Sometimes I get full speed, sometimes I get half, and I don't know why. It's all just buttpennies anyway but I don't like my hardware behaving in a way I can't explain.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are you running under Windows? Use GPU-Z, from what I remember there is a "Bus Load" sensor that would tell you.

I'll play with it, thanks. 3 reboots later it's back at full speed and I don't know what the difference is. I think the AMD optimizer messes something up so I'll just leave it for now.

I'm out as soon as I hit the next payout threshold anyway, it's $27 or nothing if I understand their minimum balance policy right.

cheese-cube posted:

I should evaluate my reasoning that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that for the situation being discussed you'll get at most a Keurig pod of tartars sauce for an entire weeks worth of effort?

You've gotta be a bitcoin believer attempting to satire points made against it, because these are the worst arguments.

* Depreciation doesn't work like that.
* My Effort != My Computer doing poo poo.
* Nobody should be "mining" for less than the price of electricity.

There's so many good arguments against dunning kreugerrands. I suggest you re-read the GBS thread and nick some, then come back here and drop some borrowed slick burns.

Here, I'll help:
* Profiting off a drug and child sex slavery money laundering scheme.
* Legitimizing the concept of a 7.4 transaction per second "global currency"
* WE'RE MINING ETHERIUM WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress NOBODY LEARNED FROM THE DAO???
* Getting bitcoins is a lot easier than getting rid of them.

Harik fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 26, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Fauxtool posted:

what is the difference in cost between 1 and 3-4 GB of RAM?
Are people really trying to save a few bucks when they just dropped 4k on a bunch of GPUs?
Or are you talking about VRAM cause none of the cards with 1gb have hashrates anywhere near being worth using.

Etherium requires you hash chunks of of data pseudo-randomly selected from a generated set of 1GB+8mb per 30,000 blocks - currently just a hair over 2GB. You can't just pick that data in advance, because the nonce for the guess is part of the random seed that tells you what data to hash.

Hash the nonce with the block data, use that to randomly determine some chunks of data to hash, that's your value. The data generation is expensive enough that you can't reasonably do it on-the-fly to mine, but cheap enough that the limited number of bytes you need to verify a block are manageable even on mobile.

Even though the DAG is over 2 GB, 2GB cards can still mine for now. I'm not sure how they're doing it. Overflow to system RAM for some parts of the dataset, maybe? It's not something that will be viable for long.

4GB cards will last longer than etherium.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Gods. I helped put in 600A service for an outbuilding (rich guy party shack. AC, massive kitchen, tons of AC because lol florida, etc). It's ridiculous - something like a grand a month when it's not in use, just in "keep it below the combustion point of the interior materials". "Helped" in I wrangled the loving cable from the meter panel to the junction box. That poo poo is heavy. I can't imagine running 550A wiring and only hooking up 120A on it. WHY.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

QuarkJets posted:

Well yeah it's written by a butter so of course it over-promises on the potential of cryptocurrency but the grander point is that proof of stake is secretly no less wasteful than proof of work, which is true

Anyone who tells you that blockchains in the future are going to be more efficient because they'll use proof of stake is either lying to you or doesn't know any better

Wait, POS is just POW except you have to already have buttcoinz to participate? And here I thought it was just premining magnates taking income for having cryptobutts they hadn't spent yet.

You know, another ridiculously dumb financial incentive, so par for the course for cryptocurrencies.

As a true marxist I support proof of burn.

E: Oh yeah - For some reason equihash will randomly slow down to ~1/2 or less speed until I reboot. Nothing else will fix it but a reboot. Not sure if there's a way to detect and script that or I just say "gently caress it" because mining is stupid anyway.

Harik fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 5, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

So not even Proof of Stake is a less dumb verification system?

How about a Hard Drive space-based algorithm ? https://www.burst-team.us

It's the greenest alt coin

This is awesome, my $4000 NAS could earn me $6.50 a month! That's only 52 years before I start to turn a profit, quite the legacy to leave my kids. Why, I'd only be dead 12 years when they get their first check from it!

I'd say it's the stupidest altcoin, but no, it's just the worst one I've seen today.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sounds like basically a private torrent tracker but with bitcoin instead of ratio.

Yeah, but the data isn't bootleg movies, it's just hashes of hashes because butterz have never thought of anything to do more interesting than hash. Probably because buying hash is the only realistic usecase of butts anyway.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Gobbeldygook posted:

In addition to what QuarkJets said, bitcoins in private wallets could also be lost through user error. A hard drive fails or is stolen. Their wallet requires a password for security reasons and they don't use it for so long that they forget it. A bunch of people lost all their BTC because they downloaded a pirated version of Fallout 4 that contained a virus that stole their private keys.

:allears:

Yeah, there's so many lost bits coin in landfills. Really warms my heart.

I just hope the crash doesn't come before the payout on the 22nd, I've got 10, 20, 5, 75, 200!!!, 3.50 coming in then and then I'm cashing out to amazon GCs until the next round of insanity.

Anyone else get the "Enjoy Sochi" spam last month? Was it the old unconfirmed transaction from 2014 or did they pull that stunt again?

E: Damnit gyft let me cash out of this stupid poo poo I'm done now.

Harik fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 18, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

QuarkJets posted:

Rich Chinese businessmen have been using cryptocurrency and Western gullibility to convert Yuan to USD and other hard currencies (via bitcoin) for years. Bitcoins are primarily mined in China these days, but selling bitcoin suppresses the price so now more liquid altcoins are traded and sold instead.

Money laundering probably still has a big impact as well, despite btc-e closing. Dirty money buys bitcoins, bitcoins buy altcoin mining power so as to not suppress the price of bitcoin, altcoins are sold for clean money.

Goddamnit. I was mining for the mob?

I mean, anything crypto-related is obviously criminal, but it's usually not so direct.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

which is why i'm bullish on monero

Monero's privacy-by-default is pretty interesting, but I'm not positive how the hell you prevent double spends when every transaction "could" go to a half dozen different addresses for different amounts. It seems like you could put multiple of your own addresses in the ring as cloaking (for 'change'), let the person see the TX confirm, then sweep the whole transaction back under your own control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

there's a key image generated with every transaction, same way anything based on CryptoNote works. Admittedly cryptonote documentation blows, but the monero version is p. good https://lab.getmonero.org/pubs/MRL-0003.pdf

That's not the attack I'm talking about. Not really a double spend, more like "backsies" on the transaction.

Unless I misunderstood, you have ring signatures to hide the input, and you also have N outputs, some fake, and the real destination and your change address. If some of those fake outputs have keys you control, you could spend the output before the destination can.

It may be that the outputs are straightforward and they're counting on the random derived address to mask the destination.

E: the output obfuscation is way too much to figure out right now. Looks like the new system (RingCT) hides the transaction amounts via cryptographic commitment - you can't tell how much was spent, but you can validate that a transaction is good because the outputs match the inputs without knowing the amount in total.

Harik fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 23, 2017

• Locked thread