Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I've been getting like $8-10 a day on the 1080 Ti, also with overclocked memory. So far I've just been using gyft to get gift cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

With Nicehash my RX 580 mines Eth like 80% of the time but also mines Zcash sometimes, my 1070 and 1080 Ti will mine all sorts of different stuff but Zcash the most. Unlike the 1070 the 1080 Ti will never mine Eth because it's relatively better at other stuff.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I have multiple gaming rigs that are all mining and I'm gonna start playing on a PS4. I already was a weirdo with multiple rigs while being a casual gamer though so I might as well make some ROI.

Or you can turn down the intensity of your miners and play older games while you mine, I've seen some people doing that :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Anyone have experience with powered PCI-E risers? I'm trying to find a reputable brand as I hear that a lot of them have QC issues.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Not mine but fitting for the thread.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Cinara posted:

What is Nicehash picking for you mostly? I am trying to figure out why my 1080ti is only doing about $8 a day right now, it seems to only want to pick Lbry and Lyra2REv2.

The dollar amount and algorithm selection fluctuates a lot, my 1080 Ti is doing the same thing right now. From what I have seen with the 1080 Ti Equihash is the most commonly run followed by Lbry and Lyra2REv2 with the others rarely running.

EDIT: As an example when I made this post my 1080 Ti had been sitting at $8/Day for a while and now it's at $9 and climbing, you see swings like that all the time.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 21, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Sweet that gave a nice speed boost, thanks for the link.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

1gnoirents posted:

Thanks for thread, I just broke the very first rule in the OP which was buy a 1070 specifically for this. However I got it at MSRP after looking at ebay prices I figured, at worst, at the moment, id break even. Also I have a machine to plop it into. Also it will be running somewhere other than my home (so no power bills).

I guarantee the moment I get this card in my hands the entire market will crash. You may blame this directly on me when the day comes, I don't mind.

Just came in the mail :lol:

I'm about maxed out on PCI-E slots, heat, and power at this point though. Just gotta get a couple powered PCI-E risers to get all of the cards I have running.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Otakufag posted:

Yes, this. I'm afraid of destroying my 1070 but want to mine faster, is it recommended to overclock the memory or something? What about better mining sources/nicehash settings specifically for this card?

Yeah memory OC is definitely the easiest way to boost Nicehash performance, especially in Equihash and Dagger it seems to make a big difference and those are both algorithms that the 1070 often runs. Make sure you're running that modified version of nicehash with ewbf as well.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 22, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

am i supposed to run it without benchmarking it? the benchmark wouldn't ever validate

It was doing some weird stuff for me as well, there's one of the benchmarks that would fail to run and I had to hit cancel to just skip it and start mining but it must not have been an important one because all of the algorithms seem to run fine.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I just bought Doom for $15 and the fee was $4 for that too so I guess maybe it's a fixed amount. I wonder why there's no fee when you buy gift cards from gyft.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Unless you're running janky mining rigs set up on top of video card boxes with hundreds of watts running though $2 chinese PCI-E riser cables you're probably fine, unfortunately that describes probably 2/3 of people mining. Just make sure your temps are OK and if you're worried about heat consider lowering your power limits, if you lower it down to like 60% your temps will be great without lowering performance too much and you might even find it tolerable to do while at home.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Godinster posted:

Did I gently caress something up on NiceHash for my coinbase? I've been mining for a day and a half or so but Coinbase still shows 0. I used the "My Wallet" bitcoin address as my Bitcoin Address in NiceHash, is that not the correct one to use?

Nicehash deposits into your wallet once a week, if you go on the stats page it lists when the payout is.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

If mining stays as profitable as it is right now you could pay hardware off in only like a couple months but there's a good chance it won't, it's basically gambling.

It helps of you already have a computer you can put a card in, building an entire new rig for mining would definitely be a risky investment as that would take longer to pay off.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 24, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I'll actually be making enough pay rent after my PCI-E risers come in the mail, but that's only because I owned a dumb amount of hardware before I ever started mining.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

All of the 1070s and 1060s are now wiped out on nowinstock except for one selling for $800 lol, I really hope they do go for the 1080 Ti next as being able to get those cheap sometime down the line would be neat.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I wouldn't buy a used mining GPU for anywhere near MSRP but if it's 50% MSRP like the used 290s were it's worth the risk. Hardware is more resilient than people think.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My profitability is still pretty good but I'm gonna sell my RX 580 because I don't think these super inflated prices on AMD cards are gonna last much longer. Their Eth mining capability is gonna start degrading pretty quickly.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah this is probably the best possible time to flip a 1070

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Still making good profit from my rigs today, don't expect a lot longer tho. This next week should be a very interesting GPU market.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

everdave posted:

I thought you were retarded as I run a computer shop and build a few gaming computers a month. Holy poo poo Amazon doesn't have a 1070 in stock! Literally last month I could have my pick at retail!

It happened really quickly, if mining is still profitable a week from now I wouldn't be surprised if the 1080 Ti was out of stock as well.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The sad thing is if they had focused all of their effort on just flipping the cards they could have made bank, now they'll probably be selling them off for $75 each in a few months.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

cheese-cube posted:

I should evaluate my reasoning that there's no such thing as a free lunch and that for the situation being discussed you'll get at most a Keurig pod of tartars sauce for an entire weeks worth of effort?

:lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/chroman/status/879468600691707905

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I have $250 sitting in my coinbase now and I should be happy but all I can think about is how it should be $350 or whatevs but the bitcoin price is way down :negative:

At least my cards are selling on ebay so this whole thing is a pretty big net positive money wise, was able to make some decent money mining and still sell the cards for inflated prices.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 27, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

1gnoirents posted:

edit: I discovered yesterday that for mining purposes my 1070 and 1080 can both take a huge memory overclock that otherwise is not stable (or even close to stable) for gaming. Over +1600 mhz on the 1080, +1200 mhz on the 1070.

Yeah I discovered that a couple days ago, you can just peg the memory slider all the way to the right it's pretty sweet. Overclocking seems to help the 1070 more for some reason too, it brought the card from like 400 Sol/s to 510 Sol/s in Equihash whereas my 1080 Ti didn't see those kind of gains.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

If you really cared about power quality you'd use Diablotek PSUs, only the best.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Fauxtool posted:

making 4.30 today instead of 3.50 yesterday, time to buy 6 1080ti's!!!

Seeing more 1080 Ti models out of stock on nowinstock than usual so people are probably actually doing this :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

metallicaeg posted:

Well I'm fuckin out of this dumb game. I created a wallet/account/whatever on coinbase, with nicehash set to deposit in the address given. Deposit showed on nicehash yesterday to that same address that was showing in coinbase (which I verified at least one other time as I had a second PC doing some mining part time). Didn't see the deposit anywhere on coinbase, decided to poke around the site further and saw that it's a completely different address now, so my deposit is sent to who knows where the gently caress.

The address changes with each transaction for some reason I don't really understand, the old addresses still work.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah you can get gift cards from gyft with no fees.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

FWIW looks like Vega does about 30-35 MH/s for Eth

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How does this compare to 1070's and 1080's?

My 1070 can hit 32 if you OC it a lot, the 1080 does a bit worse because of GDDR5X. The 1080 Ti does like 37 or so but my 1080 Ti has never actually run dagger before so I'm not totally sure. It's a bad value for mining Eth at least, I'm curious to see how it does mining Zcash and other stuff.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah that's an overclocked and unlimited figure, as I said my 1080 Ti has never actually run dagger because usually Equihash\Lyra\Blake\etc are more profitable. Only my 1070s run dagger often and they do 29-32MH.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My one 1070 is a golden sample and runs everything at 2.1GHz, that's the one that does 32MH. My other 1070 is in a dual GPU machine and power limited down to 90%, that one does 29MH.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah the 1070 is a good mining card, seems to get more out of overclocking than my 1080 Ti does too.

Vega in its current form on the other hand is poo poo, only 30MH/s for Eth and it can't even run anything else yet.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I already have all of my computers stuffed with cards, guess it's warehouse rental time.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I think most people who bought used R9 290s after the mining crash in 2014 had good experiences, I know I did as I was able to use it for a couple years and then resell it for the same price I paid for it recently.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My power bill is gonna suck this month but I have $400 of funny money so far.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Mining profitability continues to steadily decline but the GPU shortage shows no signs of relenting, I wonder at what point people will decide to start cutting their losses and sell their hardware off, or at least stop buying up all of the stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Craptacular posted:

The Nicehash profitability table says a 1070 will mine ~$3.70 a day, but my Nicehash miner I've been running on my 1070 for a couple days has been doing about $2.40-$2.80 a day.

Is the profitability table off, or is something wrong with my setup?

My 1070s have been making around $3.75-4.25/day but it jumps around a lot, don't think I've seen them go under $3 though. Try overclocking your memory.

• Locked thread