Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Ground floor on this loving awful thread.

I was planning on upgrading to a 1070 anyways (I have a 2k monitor @60hz, so that would push ultra pretty easy); is there one that is better than the others for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Goddamn

what a post

E: seriously though, this market is insane. Rational actors, right?

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 21, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TomR posted:

I got a GTX1070 a while ago to replace my GTX970. I put the 970 in my wife's computer so I'm running NiceHash on both machines while we aren't using them. I just started but it looks like the 1070 is way way faster than the 970. Maybe even to the point where the 970 isn't even worth it.

Edit: Okay now they switched to something called Blake2 and the 970 is making more than the 1070. I'm glad I don't have to ever think about this again.

The 1070's power efficiency on top of its speed make it way, way better than any 900 series card.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

MINING AT $4.10 A DAY, IMMA MAKE TENS OF DOLLARS

THIS IS loving LIVING, BOYS

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Also ethereum took a nut shot to its value and it keeps dropping. I think I'm going to stop mining it in a couple weeks/days since the profit is just too low now. It was a good run !

Unlesss... maybe I should hold until it becomes as valuable as bitcoin!

I haven't seen Nicehash mine ETH once all weekend.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

1070 making $3.30/day @123w (70% power target), my power is 12 cents per kWh.

So let's run the numbers.

(123w) (24 hours)= 2.952kW (0.12USD) equals 35.42 cents a day for power unless my numbers are wrong.

$3.30>$0.35 last I checked so yeah, I'll keep taking free money from nerds at the massive energy cost of $10.50 a month for a $99 payout.

poo poo, even if it goes down to a dollar a day that's still worth it since it's literally zero effort on my end since it automatically mines when my computer is idle.

but I guess I should be angry at this because raisins

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you running AC? Because inflate your power bill by 50% immediately if you are FYI. Power draw on the card is not going to be what is pulled at the plug. You have other components that need to be powered so you likely have another 20-40W for an idle CPU, memory, and motherboard. Then another 10-20% overhead from losses in the power supply.

Good point, didn't consider the rest of the computer; the heat output seems negligible (I've got an EcoBee thermostat so I'm keeping track of the house temperature there).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcBGX0E8ns&t=17s

Whats up baby, come visit my bedroo... oops this is the mining room sorry

Ay girl, I heard you like it hot. You ain't never had heat like this before.

*semen soaked tissue lands on GPU array, house burns down*

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah right
These guys don't gently caress

it was a jerk off napkin duh

mcdonalds of course

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I've got an EVGA GTX1070 FTW, what -if any- are the risks to overclocking memory on a 1070? What is a decent target? I've been arbitrarily sitting at +500mHz while at a 70% power target and underclocking the GPU 200mHz to decent effect.

tia

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

Historically you are at higher risk of sudden heart failure than damaging memory with OC on modern GPU's

So you're saying...

...to the MOOOOOOOON!?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Currently mining butts on a 1080 and my 970 (PHYSX card, probably even more stupid than butt mining). Should I add in my other 970 from when I was running 970 SLI? :pcgaming: Could probably net me 2 whole dollars more/day.

Also, ask me about my stupid decision making though process. :q::hf::shobon:

I'd double check the amount of power you're using, I remember the 900 series being pretty power hungry for the performance you get.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Sibling of TB posted:

Proof of steak.

Goddrat

this is living boys

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

My 1070 was at 2.35 this morning and was at 1.80ish when I got home. Rest in piss, mining.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Bahahahahahah holy poo poo, "Ethereum is under social attack."

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/6mllib/ethereum_is_under_social_attack/?st=J4ZTX3LV&sh=8e7be02a

The only defense is to join my NEW Facebook group and post about how great Etherium is!!

Goddamn, nerds are amazing.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

"I spent $4000 on mining parts a month ago and i still have not gotten them. Parts are out of stock. Thinking of canceling my order. Anyone else in this situation?"

i paid a $1000 expedite fee and i got my stuff hth

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Prescription Combs posted:

Shiiiiit is the resale market crashing? I've inherited my deceased step brothers mining poo poo that I was going to test, clean up, and offload.

Heatstroke is truly a silent killer.

Seriously though, sorry to hear it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

salt shakeup posted:

You'd be crazy to give up these massive $10/month returns. It's free money!

It scales UP. Buy ten 1070s NOW.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

This is actually good for ETH, because... gently caress I don't know but the price went slightly up

I self owned myself this week, I've been wanting a Switch for a few weeks now and I had the cash but for some reason I decided to buy a couple ETH with it instead of a Switch and Zelda.:blush:

Yeah, it jumped from 1.60 to 2.00 a day for me on a 1070. This poo poo is so loving stupid.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Christ, how long is he looking at getting his money back with that? I've been getting between 1.60-2.00 daily with my 1070 (power is cheap here) at ~30mh/s.

A gigahash would be what, $66 a day, call it $60 after power. So $1,800 a month. He's looking at a fuckload of time to make the money back and not accounting for difficulty increases OR Volta coming out and crushing Vega.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

ill have you know im making a whole 3.50 a day thank you very much

About two bux a day here. I'm sitting on nearly $140 in fake money after power. 😎

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you going to make more than $400 off your video card mining?

Gimme two hundred days

Good thing difficulty doesn't go up right

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Lmao yet another gently caress you for AMD consumers

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

mcBTC

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

EVGA 1070 FTW3 here, I can get 500mhz memory OC stable, 540ish and I'll eventually get artifacting on the screen.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

I have a 1070 and at the end of the month my electricity costs are going down to 0.0643 $/kWh, is mining still worth doing?

Even if the rest of your system was 500w, you'd still come out ahead (I mean until this shitshow inevitably crashes) making more than twice what you spend in electricity (you may want to consider if you're spending on cooling if you're in a hot place though).

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Welp 20M Tether just appeared out of nowhere so I guess Bitcoin is going to hit a new height soon

TO

THE

MOON!!!!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Wtf is tether? I've no idea what this means

More fake money that may or may not be backed by real money

Spoiler alert: it isn't

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The bubble is almost comically large now; at what point do you bail? I mean I've only got burrito tier money in there, but I wanna maximize my burrito purchasing power.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm gonna buy a 3rd party 1180 on day one to mine with v0v

Same, gonna sell my 1070 maybe around Christmas time then get by on my 770 until Volta (which should be free assuming it's $700 at launch after that 1070 money and my ~~phat crypto~~ is sold and factored in)

I fuckin love this crypto poo poo. Free video cards and free burritos.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Nicehash users aren't going to be sued. Hacked at some point, almost certainly, but not sued.

B-b-but that means I'll lose TENS AND TENS OF DOLLARS!!!!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Guys, Irma is gonna make landfall on my city in the next 24 hours. Looking for suggestions on ways to manually mine so I can maintain my lucrative $1.75/day passive income from mining, I'm really relying on it for rebuilding tia

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

have you tried selling drugs? I hear you can trade them for bitcoins

I have some school aged children, I could use them as mules. This is the kind of forward thinking bitcoin was founded upon.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I mean there's the Ethereum hack that basically just told the network "yeah, I totally transferred this, you don't need to check my balance, Im good for it" for millions of dollars

If that's not high quality coding

... please elaborate because that sounds like a wonderful story.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Jesus H Christ. I don't know what's worse, that the hack happened or that a sufficient number of people could arbitrarily decide to wind back the clock if the market doesn't do what they want it to.

What a shitshow.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Right as I started to use Nicehash instead of mining Ethereum directly

It'll be just fiiiiiine!

Seriously though, if that poo poo was gonna happen I figure it would have happened when mining was bringing in 5x what it is now.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Why? Do you think the maintainer(s) of Nicehash are better at timing peaks than anyone else?

No, I mean why wouldn't they take the money and run after it dipped so much?

Ahhhh okay, after typing that out, I get what you're saying. You're talking the price of BTC. Yeah, good point. They could be holding on for $10,000 BTC!

TO THE MOON

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Price now plummeting so fast from 6.1k+ coindesk's graph can't keep up

I'm not seeing it on coinbase's graph.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is the GTX 770 4GB worth using for mining at all? I have one that might be coming my way for very cheap.

I remember my 770 2GB was making like 19 cents back in July. Not worth it at all.

My 1070 was pulling 2.60 earlier today, so that's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

To the dude asking about mining a couple posts up: I have a 1070 and your exact processor; I run both since the computer is on anyways the CPU is going to be drawing power. May as well snag the 0.25 a day mining with it.

I have seven cent per kWh power though, so YMMV.

• Locked thread