Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

So, people keep mentioning Nist5 is profitable. By my estimation, people are spending $400k/day to mine it on Nicehash (.01 BTC/GH/s/day * 2750 GH/s * 1 day * $15000/BTC).

The only substantial Nist5 coin I can find is Bulwark, which has a market cap of $33 million. Bulwark blocks are generated every 90 seconds, and each coin is ~$15, meaning a day's worth of coins is worth $15k. Even if my math is way over what's actually being paid, if this is for Bulwark it seems like a tremendous waste of money.

Are there other, more promising Nist5 coins out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Alpha Mayo posted:

Yeah I wouldn't leave money in Coinbase right now. The market on GDax is being manipulated in extremely obvious ways, and they haven't said a word or done anything to stop it, so may even be in on it. I think a lot is about to go down in the near future.

It apparently isn't extremely obvious because I have no idea what you're trying to show with that chart

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

That behavior makes perfect sense if you watch GDAX's order book at all and look at their fee structure.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

If you have any more concrete observations I'd be interested to hear them. This stuff is quite interesting to me.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

My friend bought a $6k mining rig a month ago and he hasn't even got it fully working properly yet :lol:

Lol what is with people dropping several grand as an "investment" and then just faffing about in actually turning it on.

"Hmm my ROI is roughly 120 days, what's a couple months of sitting idle?"

(Also I dislike how ROI has been redefined by miners as the time until the investment is hypothetically repaid)

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Natural Gas heating is about 3x more effective cost per thermal unit than electric. So if you need to heat your home in the winter, as long as the value per coin is more than 3x your electricity cost, you're making money turning your gaming rig into a very convoluted and complex space heater.

Unless you're a loss leader in the mining world, you're gonna save money by buttcoin mining with your gaming rig. That or you're in a part of the world where you need to pay to cool poo poo down, in which case you're losing twice.

The coins you mine could be worth less than the cost of electricity to mine them, while still being cheaper than natural gas.

If the coins were worth just as much as the electricity to mine them, you'd be getting free heat. Unless natural gas is free as well, it can't be that cheap.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hmm yeah why does this money transmitter ask so many questions? Shouldn't I be able to launder money however I see fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It does not take 30 minutes for a computer to cool down

• Locked thread