Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

Rename yourself No_Cantaloupe

Cantanope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ancien and the magic tablet was pretty fun. it kinda dragged at times, and they didn't always achieve what they were going for (especially with the end dream sequence) but the villain was great, he could have come straight out of a disney movie. very jafar like

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so he seems really gay?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

so he seems really gay?
Jafar never striked me as gay, especially since he wanted Jasmine as his wife.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Groucho...

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
They animated the wrong sleepy princess

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I-

Oh.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

Rename yourself No_Cantaloupe

Strange Fart!

VostokPoogram!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, the name-calling is getting pretty intense!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

wank say

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Aurorank

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

wank say
Rude! :mad:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Enough of this! Bring me the autumn season thread

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Summer season isn't over yet, there's still one more episode of Action Heroine Cheer Fruits!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Still two episodes of Symphogeah

....While I'm thinking about it, we don't have any idea when Season 5 happens yet, do we? We just know that it's happening?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Still two episodes of Symphogeah

....While I'm thinking about it, we don't have any idea when Season 5 happens yet, do we? We just know that it's happening?
Look into your heart. What's the answer?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this doesn't answer anything

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

this doesn't answer anything
You're a meanie! :(

At this point in time, more Symphogear is welcome, and fairly likely. In 5 years, the show's had 4 seasons. A fifth one honestly doesn't sound all that far-fetched, even as Season 4 is still currently airing.

Additionally, Nana-sama is unbelievably strong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no season 5 is literally already announced that's why he was asking

it was announced alongside season 4

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, really? Man, I can't remember. I'm even more pumped now. :dance:

All I remember was being super pumped at the announcement that more Symphogear was being produced. Well, if it was announced alongside Season 4, bets that it's happening in '18 are very likely.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

poo poo, really? Man, I can't remember. I'm even more pumped now. :dance:

All I remember was being super pumped at the announcement that more Symphogear was being produced. Well, if it was announced alongside Season 4, bets that it's happening in '18 are very likely.

I think seasons 3, 4, and 5 were all announced at the same time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if season 3 had been announced knowing there would be two more i don't think it would have been nearly as messy as it was

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

S4 and 5 were announced sometime after GX finished

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The announced S4 and 5 at the symphogear live following GX's conclusion.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

They're making an anime all about CANADA this Winter (!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a822uufNGlw

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's just a tourism ad, not a PV

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

an actual dog posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a tourism ad, not a PV

lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the pv for a canada trip where you can explore canada precisely one day every week

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i saw 3 anime movies in the cinema today, your voice, a silent voice and in this corner of the world.

since i feel like most interested will have seen the last two, ill talk a bit about the first.

your voice, not to be confused with your name or a silent voice, is a really bad movie. it has a stunningly dull storyline with a terrible message and a too large cast consisting of undeveloped archtypes and it keeps introducing new characters when it can't even flesh out the ones it already has. you are supposed to believe these girls form a close bond throughout the movie, but most of it is depicted through montages with the mc just telling you about it. several of the girls do nothing but fill up the background outside of their introductionary scenes. there is a central plot centering around one girls comatose mother, but the movie appears to have forgotten about it during half of its runtime

the visuals do not deserve the silver screen, there is nothing about it that looks good or is well directed and the cgi cars are just shameful.

to add insult to injury they hosed up sending a copy to the theater and so i had to suffer through one with a timer on the top part of the screen during the entire movie

its not a good kids movie either, since all the ones in the theatre either fell asleep or left despite managing to sit through the 2 later movies without any apparant problems

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

The Colonel posted:

the pv for a canada trip where you can explore canada precisely one day every week

i've heard of elf on the shelf but now it's contiki but weekly

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Small Japanese towns have sponsored anime before, right? Why not Canada?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'd watch it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, any of the goons who said they were gonna watch Neo Yokio come back with a trip report?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

So, any of the goons who said they were gonna watch Neo Yokio come back with a trip report?
Check the Chat Thread.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I have two episodes left of it and while I can't recommend it to anyone, I actually enjoy it. It's not perfect and I'm checking my phone through some parts, but there's enough odd references to east coast, boujie and hip hop culture that I'm entertained and some line deliveries from Jaden and the odd gag can get me. (Toblerones are name dropped in every episode, everyone knows what a hikikomori is)

It's totally fine, I'm having a bit of fun, but I'm guessing most people don't care enough about east coast or hip hop culture to get anything out of it and that's fine

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean without the veneer of irony or whatever, it's incredibly visually flawed and you can tell it's trying to be a satire but it has no real bite. despite those things, the jokes still land and the voice acting runs the gamut from entertaining bad to great (jason schwartzman). neo yokio is also a surprisingly interesting setting.

i enjoyed watching it and would give a second season the time of day.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
how did i not make the connection that that was jason schwartzman jesus

the art honestly doesn't bother me at all, I have no idea why so like, aside from that there's really not much I much dislike about this show other then it's thin and kinda all over the place.

The setting itself kinda fits into the weird reference stuff that I like, this show calls someone an "herb", references a "chop cheese" in an insult and says things like "Coco Chanel, may her memory be blessed." It's this weirdly specific and modern thing that also seems to be reflected in the people in it, with Jaden Smith, Desus Nice and The Kid Mero playing the central male characters, rather than just typical Reference Humor

i'd check a second season yeah, but i also get why people just wanna dunk on it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

how did i not make the connection that that was jason schwartzman jesus

the art honestly doesn't bother me at all, I have no idea why so like, aside from that there's really not much I much dislike about this show other then it's thin and kinda all over the place.

The setting itself kinda fits into the weird reference stuff that I like, this show calls someone an "herb", references a "chop cheese" in an insult and says things like "Coco Chanel, may her memory be blessed." It's this weirdly specific and modern thing that also seems to be reflected in the people in it, with Jaden Smith, Desus Nice and The Kid Mero playing the central male characters, rather than just typical Reference Humor

i'd check a second season yeah, but i also get why people just wanna dunk on it

the biggest mark against the visuals, and why i just can't defend them, is that the characters do not emote relative to what they are saying at all. so you have stuff like kaz's lovely cousin giving a rant while he smiles and it's really jarring to me. i think the actual designs of the characters are fine barring charles. when the show expanded internationally for the grand prix was when i really got into some of the ideas, like Italy and Japan fusing to be Giappone, or French Canada being its own thing. there's also stuff like Neo Yokio having a completely different national anthem even though it's just bizarro New York.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that makes sense, I have a weird thing where I read the subtitles first in anything so I don't look at faces too much

And yeah I haven't gotten there yet exactly, but even early the alternate universe stuff is neat with like Battery Park being flooded and Magistocracts being a thing which is a really good word. My favorite is that apparently my home state was renamed to North Cackalackia, when North Cackalacky is already a dumb nickname for North Carolina that no one from there actually says

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
People on my dashboard have been posting out of context screenshots of Neo Yokio and this is the screencap that is getting closer to me actually watching it

• Locked thread