Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Has anyone actually read Knight's & Magic in order to offer an opinion about it? On the one hand it looks like generic LN isekai trash, but on the other I'm tempted to watch it simply because it has medieval mecha in it, a category that has been sorely lacking in decent entries since Break Blade. And the PV didn't look exactly terrible - no harem for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Okay, yeah, K&M does sound like it was pretty bad as an LN. If utterly stupid amounts of exposition was the absolute worst flaw though, it could at least be decent for fights when animated. Moved into the "I'll try the first few episodes" category.

Waffleman_ posted:

It has one definite Saberface, maybe two depending on if you count Jeanne as a Saberface or not.

Jeanne has always been a Saberface, hell it's even been used as a plot point (Zero). Maybe not quite to the same degree as the mass of various Sabers with it, but still pretty close.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Saberface is Saberface. Jeanne is one as are Nero and Okita. They're just not literal Arturia clones (in one way or another), like most of them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, while it's true that Jeanne is lacking the ahoge, JAlter does have it.

Also, to get back on topic, Apocrypha is looking pretty good from the previews.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

If Saber isn't a good character, why are there so many Sabers?

Because Takeuchi really likes drawing her(apparently), and it's also basically become a running joke at this point.

To wit, in terms of "is actually Arturia" we currently have:
-Arturia
-Arturia (Lily)
-Arturia Alter
-Arturia Alter (Santa)
-Arturia (Archer)
-Mysterious Heroine X - Not actually drawn by Takeuchi
-Mysterious Heroine X Alter - Not actually drawn by Takeuchi
-Arturia (Lancer) - Not actually drawn by Takeuchi
-Arturia Alter (Lancer) - Not actually drawn by Takeuchi
-Mordred - Not actually drawn by Takeuchi, technically a clone
-Mordred (Rider) - Not actually drawn by Takeuchi, technically a clone

There's also the "Has basically the same face as Arturia" (all drawn by Takeuchi) category of:
-Nero
-Okita
-Jeanne
-Jeanne Alter
-Jeanne Alter (Santa Lily)

Also a number of much lesser known characters, but none of the rest have much exposure.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, finally got around to watching two of the shows this season, so some first impressions:

Knight's & Magic: This... was not good. I knew what type of show it was coming in, though not the specifics, but wow was the protagonist absurdly hyped up as the bestest ever. This episode consisted almost entirely of exposition, time skips, more exposition, and flashbacks. Also notable for having possibly the dullest Lethal Japanese Crosswalk death I've ever seen. He just looks so bored regarding the car about to run him over. I might stick around for another episode or two just to see if they manage decent mecha fights at least, but if they fail that too I'm out.

Fate/Apocrypha: Also exposition-heavy, but anyone who has seen the last few offerings of Fate shows won't really be surprised by the first episode being so. And so long as it doesn't bother you, at least on the surface the conflict they're setting up seems decently interesting. Animation is definitely not as good as Ufotable's offerings, but it's decent enough and that admittedly was an incredibly high bar. The brief fight at the beginning also didn't really have great fight choreography, but as it was a teaser I'm willing to give that time for now. All in all, I felt it was a pretty decent first episode and one where I'm looking forward to the next episode. I'm also idly curious on the backstory of how Waver still became El-Melloi II in this timeline, given the events of Fate/Zero did not happen, but I suspect it'll remain a mystery as I do not think he's particularly involved in the series.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

nielsm posted:

Yes Symphogear is still good.

http://0x0.st/DPa.webm

You know, I would actually be fine with this scene if Hibiki had just ducked under the shell and then kicked/punched it into the air, but as-is this is really loving dumb. She blocks a contact detonation shell by... pressing on the shell cap. Yeah no, that just causes the shell to explode early.

Let alone somehow getting snuck up on by a Sturmtiger.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Over-the-top absurdity is fine and great in Symphogear, but that way too mundane to be over-the-top. Over-the-top would have been her suplexing it back into the tank, not just generically blocking the shell and tossing it, so I stand by my statement. :colbert:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That sounds an awful lot like the LN author thinking he's being clever by having his MC be savvy about the whole Gundamjack thing, and deliberately introduce it as a plot point so he can show this cleverness, while completely missing that there's a good reason, a VERY good reason, that actual military hardware like tanks and aircraft don't, in fact, have keys or the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, I haven't seen any of them - or will I ever - but from previews and everything I've heard about them I wouldn't exactly call any of those failures direct adaptations either. Maaaaybe Death Note, but wasn't that a lovely Netflix made-for-tv one?

edit: Really, whether direct adaptation or simply inspired the real lesson from those works is just that you need to put actual, competent effort and direction into a project. Of course, Hollywood being Hollywood they can't figure that out in regards to these properties.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 14, 2017

• Locked thread