Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should op be banned
yes
no
View Results

• Locked thread
ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Management posted:

this is the same company that released a minivan with both gull wing doors and regular doors, and a giant windshield that continues up above the driver's head for extra direct sunlight on you while you drive.

I've been in a Model X. The gull wing doors have a little cubby that closes down over your head when the door is closed. if you leaned forward while the door was closing it would just hit you

i guess it could be called cozy

how many people see a reckoning on the horizon for all this? it was weird before but it's getting dangerous now, and yet the money keeps flowing

money does not just keep flowing forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

peelon husk

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lol at this whole thread.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Elon Musk really is a dumbass

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Doc Block posted:

reminder that SpaceX's crewed capsule uses giant touch screens for controls, with manual buttons for a few things to be used in emergencies.

because those screens won't be hard to use while the craft is vibrating during takeoff/reentry while wearing a spacesuit, no sir. nevermind somebody accidentally brushing up against the panel while in zero-g.

lol at the different color temperature on every monitor.

just out of curiosity, is the front of an lcd panel strong enough to hold the liquid crystal in if the cabin is vented? i wonder how much pressure differential it can stand.

although, it looks like there's another layer on top of the lcd itself, so maybe it's sealed in there with a permanent pressure in front of the panel. but wouldnt that give a big parallax error if you weren't sitting directly in front of the panel when you wanted to change something with a big gloved finger?

i dunno im not a suit ux guy or anything, so maybe theres some cleverness about this implementation that im not seeing :thunk:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
thing is spacecraft basically fly themselves these days. this isn't the apollo era

the space shuttle would typically reenter without any human guidance, the pilot was only needed for the final approach. buran could reenter and land completely uncrewed.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Raluek posted:

just out of curiosity, is the front of an lcd panel strong enough to hold the liquid crystal in if the cabin is vented? i wonder how much pressure differential it can stand.

although, it looks like there's another layer on top of the lcd itself, so maybe it's sealed in there with a permanent pressure in front of the panel. but wouldnt that give a big parallax error if you weren't sitting directly in front of the panel when you wanted to change something with a big gloved finger?

i dunno im not a suit ux guy or anything, so maybe theres some cleverness about this implementation that im not seeing :thunk:

it's marketing driven design

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Basically the guy is a retard and does stuff for retards who need compilers in the first place? Gotcha.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Whatever, her music is overrated anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

i don't think liquid crystal monitors have enough "liquid" in them for that to be an issue

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lattner could go work with esr next

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
we really do not need another thread for reposting the exact same poo poo about tesla that's already being posted to like three other threads

lol it is a bad car and elon is an idiot, but it has nothing to do with chris lattner

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rjmccall posted:

we really do not need another thread for reposting the exact same poo poo about tesla that's already being posted to like three other threads

lol it is a bad car and elon is an idiot, but it has nothing to do with chris lattner

those threads are too long to read anymore and im glad i got to see the ipad dashboard here in this one

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

serious post: when I first learned you worked for apple on LLVM and swift, I thought you might be chris lattner.

(are you ted kremenek?)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
serious post x2: chris lattner's surprise guest spot on ATP was v interesting

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

(are you ted kremenek?)

🤦🏻‍♀️

pram
Jun 10, 2001

rjmccall posted:

yospos bitch!!!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

serious post: when I first learned you worked for apple on LLVM and swift, I thought you might be chris lattner.

(are you ted kremenek?)

i literally dox myself every time i post, my handle is my initials and last name

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

yospos bitch!!!

honestly this thread kind of freaks me out, it's weird to see strangers talking about someone you know really well

also i am extremely trolled by the title

lol @ me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

rjmccall posted:

i think u have a point, however, get this. counterpoint:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

i literally dox myself every time i post, my handle is my initials and last name

well poo poo, shows you what I know

rjmccall posted:

also i am extremely trolled by the title

seems that chris lattner publicly gets called the inventor of swift by apple (or, at least by the press). but IIRC you said in the CoC Swift thread you were the first person hired to design & work on swift full time, so v:shobon:v extremely my bad

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

seems that chris lattner publicly gets called the inventor of swift by apple (or, at least by the press). but IIRC you said in the CoC Swift thread you were the first person hired to design & work on swift full time, so v:shobon:v extremely my bad

it's a hang-up i have, don't worry about it. chris was working on swift before me (but part-time) and definitely led the project from the start. just one of those things where that means he gets 100% of the credit in pr / news articles

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rjmccall posted:

it's a hang-up i have, don't worry about it. chris was working on swift before me (but part-time) and definitely led the project from the start. just one of those things where that means he gets 100% of the credit in pr / news articles

hey it could be worse. at least youre not known as the ringo of swift.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

at least you didnt have to go work with e long

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i still have no idea what chris was thinking

i can't imagine he gave a poo poo about huge stacks of cash

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
management always gets the credit.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rjmccall posted:

i still have no idea what chris was thinking

i can't imagine he gave a poo poo about huge stacks of cash

yeah i cant imagine a programming job more satisfying than being deeply involved in projects like swift and llvm.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i cant imagine a programming job more satisfying than being deeply involved in projects like swift and llvm.

the grass is always greener on the other side where they invent hoverboards or whatever

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

management always gets the credit.

yeah we had a major project at work that involved my entire team doing a ton of work. when the year-end awards came around, not a single one of us below our supervisor got an award.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

cis autodrag posted:

hey it could be worse. at least youre not known as the ringo of swift.

that's slava pestov i think

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

yeah we had a major project at work that involved my entire team doing a ton of work. when the year-end awards came around, not a single one of us below our supervisor got an award.

nope. credit is one thing but bonus is something else. your manager better loving spread that around or else your team needs to take a stay-at-work vacation next year.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Doc Block posted:

serious post x2: chris lattner's surprise guest spot on ATP was v interesting

i wouldnt listen to atp if they got steve jobs to come back from the dead to announce the next 50 years of apple products

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

working on compilers and dev tools was literally the only thing he'd ever done professionally, so even if you're right and he had the best possible job to have it seems natural to eventually want to try something different to at least have a point of comparison.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, i'm not surprised by abstractly wanting a change. i'm just surprised he thought he could make it work with elon

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lots of nerds itt

:guinness:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol swift. some idiot made an app that consumed my library in swift, spent half his time answering the question, "why the gently caress are you using swift we don't have a toolchain for it yet?", and the other half trying to translate a jillion other common solved things in to swift, delivered 9 months late, got promoted, hosed off, and left the rest of his team to pick up the pieces.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wrecks

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol swift. some idiot made an app that consumed my library in swift, spent half his time answering the question, "why the gently caress are you using swift we don't have a toolchain for it yet?", and the other half trying to translate a jillion other common solved things in to swift, delivered 9 months late, got promoted, hosed off, and left the rest of his team to pick up the pieces.

this is gonna be me + rust

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I hate to say this but the best language for iOS development is probably C#. swift was a wrong turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Get that poo poo outta my thread.

Objective-C is objectively the best language for iOS and Mac dev right now. Swift will be tied soon.

• Locked thread