Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So, now that we've all had a chance to grind up to decent levels, it's time to focus on Gonesh.

Gonesh is a good target for us for a few reasons. Firstly, it's the furthest West our Yellow enemies have managed to push so far. Taking the city off them robs them of a beachhead into the main part of the continent. Secondly, it's defensively a bit weak - cities range from levels 8 to 12, and a reasonable number of those are on fire as I type. Thirdly, the name is perfect for us.

This week, I propose we throw everything we have at Gonesh and let it burn. We don't need to act alone, though. I'd also propose that every member of Art of Goonquest let Kingdom chat know that the Kingdom as a unit is targeting Gonesh this week. Be leaders in the game's community, and direct already-guilded players to attack the city for resources and to defend the kingdom's borders. Win-win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Faunvale is receiving one hell of a spanking now, so that may be another target.
Isolace has over thirty players, but more than half are inactive and the active ones are pretty weak.

The small cities get taken right away, but they also get abandoned fast as the active players leap to the bigger cities leaving the inactive ones behind.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 26, 2017

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm doing ok, but seem to be missing key instructions because by tomorrow morning I'll have a lvl 10 castle, and I have no loving clue as to how I capture or attack cities. I'm really leary of leaving my city, since the last time it reset my progress and rewards (and wasted 99c). I'm in the Goon Squad guild.

Tell me what to do.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Attacking is easy, you just need to tap on the city you want to attack and you will see a bunch of smaller cities, these are players.
Tapping on them will give you a bunch of information, the picture of a wall shows how much health the wall has left and the shield icon shows how many squads are defending the city.

It also shows resources you can loot, but that's only if your guild has a city

When attacking you need a certain amount of unit "Power" to even begin your attack, how much depends on the level of the city.
Regular units bring more power, particularly silver and gold units, but don't do much wall damage.
Catapults and cannons don't bring much power, but do a fair bit to the walls.

The trick is to find a city that has a lot of low level cities (Anything below 10) that don't have a lot of defenders, these are inactive players.

Also for the record, your progress isn't reset, you are basically playing a new character, the old one is still there collecting your currency on the old server, you can play in as many servers as you want.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I finally saw the attack option for a city outside my zone. But it also tells me I cant get loot until I move my city, every option to move my city appears to leave the Goon Squad House. Wtf.

Also, it's unclear enough what will hopapoen if I go back to the other realm (and why would I want multiple characters) that I'm writing off that 99c.

This game is better than CoC. But Im hitting the wait and hoard wall hard at level 10.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

porktree posted:

I finally saw the attack option for a city outside my zone. But it also tells me I cant get loot until I move my city, every option to move my city appears to leave the Goon Squad House. Wtf.

Also, it's unclear enough what will hopapoen if I go back to the other realm (and why would I want multiple characters) that I'm writing off that 99c.

This game is better than CoC. But Im hitting the wait and hoard wall hard at level 10.

Yeah that's the main problem with the game right now. The progression seems to be very much calculated with the idea of you actively raiding other cities, which is good, but it's doing that by requiring that your guild owns one of the finite number of available cities on the world map.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Stupid question but how would you change the game to make it better?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I'd make cities WAY easier to capture to make the strategic layer of the game more dynamic. I'd also add heaps more generals, both earnable and IAP.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Piggy Smalls posted:

Stupid question but how would you change the game to make it better?

Better as in more enjoyable or more profitable for the devs? For enjoyable: fewer possible encounters and add 2-5vsAI modes with very hard raid bosses where you could be like ok I'll focus on the seige weapons, you focus on ranged, bob will do melee, etc. I'd also make the generals system different - I'd have 1 that you develop with a skill tree and the other ones you pick up would be "heroes" without castable skills or equipment. This would foster player emotional investment with their general who they've modeled as they like.

For profitable: add viet themed IAP skins

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 26, 2017

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Yeah loving hell the Vietnamese are all over this game

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Better for playing? Have it so you don't have to have just one guild per city.
You can have a dominate house that gets a larger production bonus, but can still accept members from other guilds to fill out all the city slots.
This way it's easier to get into a city and you don't have cities completely filled by useless guilds made up of like two active members and thirty people who quit weeks ago.

More profitable? Fix the completely insane way AoC handles IAP.
Seriously, it's madness! The bundles are random so you almost never see the ones containing heroes and when you do you realize they are like $130.

It's particularly baffling because they handle the patron bonus well, it's really cheap the first time so drat near everyone buys it even if they only play for a day or so, then it jacks up the price for the long term players.
They should handle the generals the same way, make them all available, have the first one cost like five bucks, then the rest become more expensive.
People just trying the game won't think much of paying five dollars where as the whales will throw cash at the rest.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

Coq au Nandos posted:

So, now that we've all had a chance to grind up to decent levels, it's time to focus on Gonesh.

I just hit 9, ran over there to help smash the city and was promptly destroyed by a dude and his gang of giant spiders...

This put about half my army in the hospital and the other half are dead (i think?) Any tips? Should I face these guys without an army? What units should I focus on to make sure I'm even strong enough to attack?

I think were going to need to coordinate something here. Is there a list of cities that we should focus on? Left to right, right to left? I'm having fun dicking around with PVE , but completely lost when it comes to contributing to us capturing a city.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

Better for playing? Have it so you don't have to have just one guild per city.
You can have a dominate house that gets a larger production bonus, but can still accept members from other guilds to fill out all the city slots.
This way it's easier to get into a city and you don't have cities completely filled by useless guilds made up of like two active members and thirty people who quit weeks ago.

It feels like this was the plan but then something fell off the wagon. Big cities have 45+ slots but houses can only go up to 40.

Making it easier to siege cities would be great, the borders haven't moved in days.

I Love Topanga posted:

I just hit 9, ran over there to help smash the city and was promptly destroyed by a dude and his gang of giant spiders...

This put about half my army in the hospital and the other half are dead (i think?) Any tips? Should I face these guys without an army? What units should I focus on to make sure I'm even strong enough to attack?

I think were going to need to coordinate something here. Is there a list of cities that we should focus on? Left to right, right to left? I'm having fun dicking around with PVE , but completely lost when it comes to contributing to us capturing a city.

Attacking cities is just grind. 30% of your units die if you attack in enemy territory, but all garrison units you kill stay dead. If you can't ensure the other guy loses harder than you, wait until someone softens the defenses.

batteries! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 26, 2017

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah if this is how taking a city is going to be I don't think I'm going to be playing long. I have all level 3-4 silver units, like 5 level 10 heroes and a bunch of catapults and stomping a level 9 city only took off 1000 damage...out of 50000.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm out, too much of a grind that I can't keep up with. Good luck guys

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
If anyone wants to take leadership from me for Goon Squad let me know. I still plan to play a bit, but prefer to give it to someone who is more active.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Sunglade is about to go down. Rush it if you can.

We may be able to snipe it.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Still going on Sunglade (Yellow, SE of capital), get there if you can.

E - or not, as you can just instantly move in someone from a different house as soon as the city falls, making it impossible to siege. Cool.

Incy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 27, 2017

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Incy posted:

Still going on Sunglade (Yellow, SE of capital), get there if you can.

E - or not, as you can just instantly move in someone from a different house as soon as the city falls, making it impossible to siege. Cool.

Yeah. The pubbie guild I'm in spent hours grinding the walls down for two russians to swoop in at the last second and steal it. You either take empty neutral cities at the start of the server or you're probably staying out.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
That has to get changed at some point (soon)... right? I'd rather not quit already, but we're going to run out of poo poo to do pretty soon.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
Reddit post from the devs, some kind of fix is on the way. https://www.reddit.com/r/artofconquestgame/comments/6js99p/developer_diary_june_27th/

maybe some dev posted:

let me try to give you a brief overview of what the new system looks like.

The main difference is that the person that first clicks the button for moving in will not immediately move in with their entire troop strength, city wall and garrison. Instead, he or she (and any members of their House that actively choose to walk up to this city and also move in at that time) will need to pass a ten-minute countdown during which they can be challenged to real-time PVP duels. This countdown pauses once all the claimants are engaged in these PVP duels and only once the House endures this 10 minute countdown without being kicked out by other challengers, will it actually move in completely. The interesting thing here is that even members of your own kingdom can attack you here if they feel like you were the one who unfairly tried to claim their city after their House did all the fighting.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

quote:

The interesting thing here is that even members of your own kingdom can attack you here if they feel like you were the one who unfairly tried to claim their city after their House did all the fighting.
Wow, that actually sounds worse than the current system.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
This game was a ton of fun the first few days but i don't think i have ever played a game that got so unfun so fast.

Haven't touched it for days now. Going to leave Goon Squad and uninstall. Best of luck with the great city conquering mechanics.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

This game was a ton of fun the first few days but i don't think i have ever played a game that got so unfun so fast.

Haven't touched it for days now. Going to leave Goon Squad and uninstall. Best of luck with the great city conquering mechanics.

I'm... honestly kind of feeling the same way. The basic combat rules but it's hidden behind such bullshit artificial gates. Will keep an eye on the next patch but gently caress, I dunno. Maybe this is their business model.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Yeah it really lost its luster quickly. I was all for the challenge of capturing a city but god drat is it depressing when you bust your rear end and then some guy with a guild name you can't pronounce clicks a button faster than you.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I am torn and will leave AoG for a +40/60 city as I play 3-4 times per day in sessions and will finish my lvl 14 castle in 13 hours. If this games shortcuts the absurd grind and allows easier base attacking and coordinating we might reconsider a Goonrush in the future.
1/3,of our Guild is already inactive 24-48+ hours. The nice interactive combat can't overcompensate the design flaws right now.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

There is a city in the kingdom that needs a Guild to move in, currently being moved around existing guilds to hold on to it. Is anyone from Art of Goonquest Level 15 and could take possession of it?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

A free game was praised by goons and then found to be lovely and tedious after a short period of time? I'm shocked.

I'm still having fun so I'll keep on it for now but I am totally prepared to stop having fun at some point due to the mechanics.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

rio posted:

A free game was praised by goons and then found to be lovely and tedious after a short period of time? I'm shocked.

I'm still having fun so I'll keep on it for now but I am totally prepared to stop having fun at some point due to the mechanics.

The battles are super fun, they just stop happening after a bit.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
You run out of overland battles after a few days, and the dungeon ones are always the same. The game quickly tuns from a fun HoMM-like with some interesting combat mechanics to a 5 minutes a day poop game with p2w pvp. The way they handle the progression sucks, what with progress locked if you don't find a home, though. That and they've been opening new servers like crazy, creating a wave of serial migrations that only leaves dead servers in its wake.
I ended up uninstalling it, not even halfway into my $1 one month sponsor thingy.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Joining a city is Game changing because I can attack cities and steal /pillage resources now. This netted me like 10k gold and science alone today and like 200 Mithril, Crystals and Blloddiamonds

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mr.PayDay posted:

Joining a city is Game changing because I can attack cities and steal /pillage resources now. This netted me like 10k gold and science alone today and like 200 Mithril, Crystals and Blloddiamonds

Got room? :)

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

applied as schwein11 (to AoG)

schwein11 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 30, 2017

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Not right now, the House is full :(

Add me and Bloodylark.

My last raids were fun and went like this, I found a stockpile:

I usually search for cities with 0-20 troops (without the green + because then they are stacked from Housemates) and 10-50k walls that are hoarding resources and were not raided just before me.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Should I start playing this game, what server and faction thing ?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Should I start playing this game, what server and faction thing ?

If you start now on our server, you are about 3 weeks late and cannot catch up unless you spend like 50-100 Dollar/Euro on top of the Patron Bundle. Daily players like me already have lvl 17-19 castles and big armies including lvl 6 silver troops. I joined another house for 40% offline production and have 50 finished science and military projects

I usually raid 2 times per day within the cooldowns and attack opponents castles in waves to pillage the ressosurces.
But this game is a stupid grind and if I did not have a relatively safe condition (the bigger your castle and power gets, the higher is the hurdle to attack you. To attack a lvl 17 dude you already need an army of like 10k power while the battlefield is limited by slots and space) I would have already quit.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

It's annoying how little about stategy exists online.

Should I switch races? When? Why? I got some eleven silver troops. Can I upgrade then? If not should I just disband them for silvers I can make?

Etc...

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Should I switch races? When? Why? I got some eleven silver troops. Can I upgrade then? If not should I just disband them for silvers I can make?

Etc...

I can't speak for switching races as I've not went for that option yet. I do tend to put the gifted/bought speciality units I get in to my city walls though as they once they get injured or start dying I don't want to field partial units.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

https://youtu.be/x2zNx7m9Huo

Update. Meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Etc...

They're mostly gimmicks and cosmetics. Dwarves might have an edge because of their frontline units. The tech you research is race specific so do it early if you don't want to waste resources.

• Locked thread