Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

Hi!

If you aren't familiar with me or my history with Banjo-Kazooie, Then hey! what's up. I hope you stick around for the LP!

If you are familiar with my inexplicable infatuation with the Bear & Bird duo, You knew this was coming. You watched me gleefully collect all 190 Jiggies, 90 Jinjos and 1,800 Musical notes that are scattered all throughout the various worlds present in Banjo-Kazooie and it's sequel, Banjo-Tooie. You watched as I drat near dragged myself through the endless slog of repeating missions and mandatory vehicles until I had collected all 131 Jiggies in the hell that was personally made for me that we know as Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

But finally. After 16 years of waiting. Yooka-Laylee is here.

Yooka-Laylee is an action adventure, platforming game with a heavy emphasis on item collection. Developed by Playtonic Games and published by Team 17 for PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Linux, Mac and PC (the version we're using to LP the game!) released on the 11th of April this year. The Switch version was originally intended for release on Wii U but due to multiple complications, development for the Wii U version was moved over to the Switch and is due to release later this year though the date is as of yet unconfirmed.

Watching the development of Yooka-Laylee has been one hell of a roller-coaster. From initial plans to make a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie from a Twitter account named "Mingy Jongo" in 2012, to the apparent cancellation of the project announced in a Reddit thread in 2014, to the reveal of Playtonic Games as a studio and their developer showcase in 2015 where I asked them a very hard question, It's been quite the emotional journey for anyone who really wanted to see another one of them 3D Platformer games with the animals that talk funny.

The highs of the kickstarter for the game reaching over two million pounds. The lows of the backlash as YouTube funnyman Jonathan Tronathan was removed from the game. The confusion as mixed reviews came in where some people had misunderstood that this is in fact a game like an old game and not a new game, which is exactly what had been pitched since the beginning of the project.

It's been quite a time to be a fan of Banjo-Kazooie and see all of this unfold over the last 4 years. But now finally, the game has been released. I have spent a considerable amount of time playing and 100% completing it and am here to tell you my thoughts and feelings. This game is not perfect, not by any measure. In fact, it is plagued by the same issues that we repeatedly saw and fought against in games as young impressionable children growing up with the millennium looming on the horizon. The agony of "wheres that last thing I need to finish this level WHERE IS IT", The frustration of repeatedly trying to complete that one task/mini-game, and the old fashioned camera that is seemingly controlled by another player who is laughing as you attempt to make a difficult jump.

But even with those grievances, comes endearment. The world is charming, cheery, bright and colourful. The music is excellent. The characters are distinctly Rare characters, and the puns are unbearable. It's familiar, but not too familiar.

It's almost exactly the game I've been hoping for over the last 16 years. And honestly I'm very happy with what I got.

It's time to sit down and play the best replacement for the sequel we never got

Let's Play Yooka-Laylee.

Videos!
Yooka-Laylee Part 1: Intro, Shipwreck Creek, & Hivory Towers - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 2: Tribalstack Tropics Act 1 Part 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 3: Tribalstack Tropics Act 1 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 4: Glitterglaze Glacier Act 1 Part 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 5: Glitterglaze Glacier Act 1 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 6: Moodymaze Marsh Act 1 Part 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 7: Moodymaze Marsh Act 1 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 8: Capital Cashino Act 1 Part 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 9: Capital Cashino Act 1 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 10: Galleon Galaxy Act 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 11: Tribalstack Tropics Act 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 12: Glitterglaze Glacier Act 2 Part 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 13: Glitterglaze Glacier Act 2 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 14: Moodymaze Marsh Act 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 15: Capital Cashino Act 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 16: Galleon Galaxy Act 2 Part 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 17: Galleon Galaxy Act 2 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yooka-Laylee Part 18: The Final Boss Encounter: Capital B - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I liked this game, but I would not wish 100%ing it on anyone.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Aw yeah, here we go. :munch: I 100%'d this thing and came to much the same conclusion of "this is basically another dose of BK, and that's all I ever wanted it to be". There are some rough patches (a few of which will hopefully be smoothed out with the upcoming... well, patch), but it's a fun game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going to watch the hell out of this LP because I gave up around world 3 myself.

I'd like to see the rest of the game's content while never having to deal with the loving awful controls and camera again in my life

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I will say the writing so far has been a little bit too on the nose with the 'it's a video game!' meta jokes, which is a complaint I've seen that yeah, it doesn't bother me so much but I can see why it would annoy people.

Anyone who doesn't love those voices is crazy though.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Oh thank god, maybe finally I'll see someone actually appreciate this game like I can. I never really understood the 'problems' people were having with the camera, I myself didn't have a lick of trouble with it except for precisely one spot where the game forced a perspective change.

I've grown quite tired of people judging the game on today's standards when it accomplishes everything it set out to do. It's not trying to be innovative or unique for a reason. This game was always meant to be a nostalgia bomb and series successor to BK and it does so quite handily I felt. Not only have I enjoyed every minute of this game I've played from the very beginning, it's also caused me to realize just how much I missed the old BK series. Enough to the point where I was pretty dang angry that Rare did nothing but tease us about a potential reveal in the days leading up to E3, only for it to be just that--teasing. gently caress 'em. gently caress Rare. Long live Playtonic.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

After watching the first video, I understand one of the criticisms I heard about Yooka-Laylee: the camera showing things in front of you. In both Banjo-Kazooie games, you can see a lot of a given world when you enter it. By comparison, it's very limited in this game. But it's great that it's still a Banjo-Kazooie game by your standards.

People don't like the character noises for dialog? While I honestly don't like Yooka's sound, many of them are good, and they were an invaluable part of Banjo-Kazooie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh dear. I saw VoidBurger's attempt at this and... it didn't look that great. All luck to you, tho.

Seventh Mode
Aug 29, 2012

Mode 7-style rendering was also used for the Special Stages in Sonic CD.
The more you know!
Good luck to you. I like the game but 100% is...a task.

But then if you did it to N&B, you can do it to any game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Captain B looks like he'd be voiced by Danny DeVito in a movie version of Yooka-Laylee.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
gently caress now I can't get it out of my head

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
A Youtube reviewer named Nitro Rad who specializes in B-grade platformers like Blinx the Time Sweeper, Scaler, Voodoo Vince, the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series did the a very fair review of this game: :siren:SPOILER WARNING:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSB9zu9ZKTA

Here's the bottom-line of his review: In its attempt to recapture the magic of Banjo Kazooie and Mario 64, Yooka-Laylee ends up being more like the B-grade platformers of old cause it didn't learn from their mistakes and thus unfortunately repeated them.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 22, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Aww man. I haven't gotten the chance to play this yet (Backed it on Kickstarter, chose the Wii U Switch version), but I'll be back when I've had a chance to play it! I loved your Banjo LPs.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Has there been any news lately about when the switch version and patch for the rest of us come out?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tofu Survivor posted:

gently caress now I can't get it out of my head
Gonna need a non-alcoholic version of Rum Ham.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Probably should have edited this post into the previous one instead of doubleposting, but what's done is done.

Chimera-gui posted:

Here's the bottom-line of his review: In its attempt to recapture the magic of Banjo Kazooie and Mario 64, Yooka-Laylee ends up being more like the B-grade platformers of old cause it didn't learn from their mistakes and thus unfortunately repeated them.
While that's his conclusion, I don't really agree with it. Yooka-Laylee looks exactly like a classic Rare platformer, warts and all. It has worlds that are way too big, but I've heard that same criticism about Banjo-Tooie. There are bullshit Pagies, but there were bullshit Jiggies in both games. The swimming controls might suck, but they weren't ideal in Banjo-Kazooie either (I can't speak for B-T because I've never played it). And boy, you better believe that it's got "go through all the rings" puzzles and annoying minigames, which were a staple of the N64 era, although played to the absolute worst extreme in both cases with Donkey Kong 64.

All in all, it's looks like a pain to 100% it, but wasn't every N64 platformer? As long as the bullshit parts are more sparse than in Donkey Kong 64, then it's all fine by me.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

Yooka-Laylee looks exactly like a classic Rare platformer, warts and all.

Unfortunately, that's exactly the problem: Despite being released roughly two months ago, it already feels outdated.

Again, I'd recommend watching the full review video if you not worried about spoilers since he does a better job explaining his issues with the game than I can and why he regards it as more of a love letter to the B-grade platformers of the early 2000s than a tribute to legendary platformers of the late 90s. I should note that he does like the game, it's just suffers from the same flaws as the numerous B-grade platformers he's reviewed before.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 23, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chimera-gui posted:

Again, I'd recommend watching the full review video if you not worried about spoilers since he does a better job explaining his issues with the game than I can and why he regards it as more of a love letter to the B-grade platformers of the early 2000s than a tribute to legendary platformers of the late 90s.
I watched all but the last minute of it when I made that post and watched that last bit just now, and I still don't see the connection. Outside of the special move bar, Rare's fallen into every 3D platforming trap mentioned already. Then again, I've never even heard of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger before that video, let alone played it (nor have most people, really), so that probably contributes to me not seeing the point.

It is true that Rare platformers haven't aged all that well. I've heard some people who weren't familiar with Banjo-Kazooie when it came out saying that they don't like it. I don't agree, but I can see the gripes about Banjo-Tooie.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 23, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'd recommend watching his reviews of other platformers, specifically the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger series so you can understand where he's coming from.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Mini Update here before episode 3 comes out tomorrow:

So remember that big patch I talked about in episode 1? well it dropped today, that means that every new video from episode 4 onward will be post-patch. I haven't had a chance to get into it yet and see all the fixes and updates for myself but if you're curious to find out about what was fixed/changed before episode 5 rolls around, you can take a look at the patch notes for yourself:

http://www.playtonicgames.com/major-update-live-steam-sale/

See you all for the continuation tomorrow!

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

We're finishing off Tribalstack Tropics and forgetting all of the games the Rare co-founders made before they formed the company in today's episode!

Yooka-Laylee Part 3: Tribalstack Tropics Act 1 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Octopi are actually fairly reliant on the bouyancy of water to help support their structure, and they don't have lungs, so I imagine they wouldn't fare well out on land for very long. Though apparently there is a species of Squid that 'flies' using it's mantle fins, but Squids also have a more rigid mantle structure than Octopi do by a large margin.

Also Yooka was the Pistil (which is the 'female' part of the flower).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I would bet any amount of money that Trowser's store was originally called something like Trowser's Worldwide Amazing Traders but they had to change it. :laugh:

It would be such a Rare Playtonic thing to do

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

It's time to check out the 2nd world: Glitterglaze Glacier! We sculpt a statue with explosives and take on the dreaded Snowplow...

Yooka-Laylee Part 4: Glitterglaze Glacier Act 1 Part 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

You mentioned Voidburger's LP of this game, she actually made a video of that moment with the snowplow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63M3LyuSzPM

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

Octopi are actually fairly reliant on the bouyancy of water to help support their structure, and they don't have lungs, so I imagine they wouldn't fare well out on land for very long. Though apparently there is a species of Squid that 'flies' using it's mantle fins, but Squids also have a more rigid mantle structure than Octopi do by a large margin.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5WJrQik2o

Their gills collapse due to the lack of bouyancy but they still get oxygen through their skin. They can survive maybe a half hour as long as they can keep their skin moist. Not sure how well a goldfish bowl on the head would function in that capacity, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm only through Episode 1 of this but who the gently caress doesn't like the gibberish voices

E: In the BK games in general, not just here.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 6, 2017

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

That Yooka-Laylee silhouette that pops in and out during area transitions looks like a deformed Sonic the Hedgehog face to me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I heard that Grant Kirkhope is doing the music for that Mario and Rabbids X-Com-like game.

British biscuits and gravy sounds disgusting and horrifying. It could have been avoided if the person actually did some research into what an American biscuit is, but alas, cultural ignorance is everywhere. I learned recently that "cookie" probably has its roots in Dutch.

C-Euro posted:

I'm only through Episode 1 of this but who the gently caress doesn't like the gibberish voices
Yooka's doesn't sit right with me, for some reason. I'd be cool if it were a minor or one-off character's voice. It's hard for me to explain why. Everyone else's is fine, though.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 6, 2017

Seventh Mode
Aug 29, 2012

Mode 7-style rendering was also used for the Special Stages in Sonic CD.
The more you know!

get that OUT of my face posted:

Yooka's doesn't sit right with me, for some reason. I'd be cool if it were a minor or one-off character's voice. It's hard for me to explain why. Everyone else's is fine, though.

He sounds like he wants to gently caress me. I don't want Yooka to want to gently caress me.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

uh oh I'm 2 days late

Update!

It's time to round off the first half of Glitterglaze Glacier, do our first Minecart section and talk about how amazing regional accents are in Britain

Yooka-Laylee Part 5: Glitterglaze Glacier Act 1 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

oh no I'm late again but it's time for another

Update!

Today we're looking at the vaguely spooky Moodymaze Marsh which is home to talking trolleys and a bit that's like Frogger

Yooka-Laylee Part 6: Moodymaze Marsh Act 1 Part 1 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That graffiti on the wall said "H2O Only"

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
This is fun to watch, but I'm glad to not play it. The only Rare collect-a-thon I played was the XBOX re-release of CBFD, and I found that to be far more frustrating than fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It occurs to me that maybe why the gibberish annoys people is that it doesn't really flow really well - almost every noise is cut off immediately by the next one. It's all staccato and, real words or not, doesn't sound like talking at all. But Banjo Kazooie did that so... :v:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
You seem surprised that Banjo was bear chested.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

We finish up the first half of Moodymaze Marsh by becoming some noclip fish and figthing a Tentacle Monster from Yorkshire

Yooka-Laylee Part 7: Moodymaze Marsh Act 1 Part 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Is "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" a common enough Brit thing or was that Kraken referencing Kirkhope's "lyrics" in Mayahem Temple? :v:

And since you brought it up, Dex, DK64 LP when?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 26, 2017

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Is "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" a common enough Brit thing or was that Kraken referencing Kirkhope's "lyrics" in Mayahem Temple? :v:

Both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Brunom1 posted:

It seems to be a mid-to-late 90s British thing, at least that phrase would occasionally pop up in various UK magazines I was reading at the time.

• Locked thread