Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

All I got for this sale was Stellaris DLC, and also Dead Cells since it was so highly recommended here and elsewhere. The DLC for Stellaris is pretty great. I haven't touched Stellaris since launch since I thought it was kind of bare bones at the time but now the game feels much more fleshed out with alot of content. And considering it's a Paradox game they will probably keep adding more cool stuff to it for years. Probably gonna sink a ton of time into it.

Then I tried Dead Cells thinking I would just play for a little bit before bed to get the controls down. Holy poo poo, I couldn't put it down. Must have burned 7 hours into my eyeballs playing it into the early morning. Unbelievably satisfying fluid combat with tons and tons of items that can all have crazy synergies with each other. The permanent unlock system paired with it's rougelike nature really makes you itch to hit new game whenever you die. Doesn't hurt that the game looks gorgeous either. Like Castlevania: Sotn with some Dark Souls, and dare I say, a hint of BoI thrown in. Plays fantastic, looks fantastic, extremely fun. Only downside is that it early access right now and I'm aware it's pretty short at the moment (about 15-20 hours I hear), but this shaping up to be just stunningly good once it's finished.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

verbal enema posted:

I did with the mobile app doodad still making me wait :/
Did you attach the authenticator after creating the sale? Otherwise it should just be a matter of going to the "confirmation" meny in the app and checking a box.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

Ikaruga (I've wanted to get this many years--it's real neat)

my favorite thing about ikaruga on steam is that it finally allowed me to experience something i've wanted to do since youtube was a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEGyrEnXrk

1 player coop

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Axetrain posted:

All I got for this sale was Stellaris DLC, and also Dead Cells since it was so highly recommended here and elsewhere. The DLC for Stellaris is pretty great. I haven't touched Stellaris since launch since I thought it was kind of bare bones at the time but now the game feels much more fleshed out with alot of content. And considering it's a Paradox game they will probably keep adding more cool stuff to it for years. Probably gonna sink a ton of time into it.

Then I tried Dead Cells thinking I would just play for a little bit before bed to get the controls down. Holy poo poo, I couldn't put it down. Must have burned 7 hours into my eyeballs playing it into the early morning. Unbelievably satisfying fluid combat with tons and tons of items that can all have crazy synergies with each other. The permanent unlock system paired with it's rougelike nature really makes you itch to hit new game whenever you die. Doesn't hurt that the game looks gorgeous either. Like Castlevania: Sotn with some Dark Souls, and dare I say, a hint of BoI thrown in. Plays fantastic, looks fantastic, extremely fun. Only downside is that it early access right now and I'm aware it's pretty short at the moment (about 15-20 hours I hear), but this shaping up to be just stunningly good once it's finished.

I picked up Dead Cells as well but I have a habit of buying early access games but not actually playing them until they get released, with one exception (Naval Action). I have two early access games I bought in last year's summer sale, Cryptark, which was recently released, and The Long Dark, which releases in a month.

But I really don't think I can't wait on Dead Cells (at least until after I beat Hollow Knight).

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

ArfJason posted:

1 player coop

lmfao

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

PlushCow posted:

I picked up Dead Cells as well but I have a habit of buying early access games but not actually playing them until they get released...

Ha, same here, bought dead cells this sale, but I'm not goin near it. There's plenty of other stuff I can play while dead cells spends a little more time in the oven and bakes to perfection.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Dead Cells is pretty great. Like Rogue Legacy was good, but Dead Cells makes it look and play like a pile of crud.

People say it's like a Souls game. I've only played like 8 hours of the first one and that game seems more about waiting for a guy to make a big attack and then punishing him and the repeating.

This game is a little like that but once you start punishing you pretty much are clear to finish him off which makes the game feel lightning fast in comparison. The sound, animation and effect give it a good feel as well.

If I were to complain about something is that the health/strength/skill level up items seem a bit random from run to run. Yes, I know, Rougelike, but those things seem to dictate your overall progress.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I think the common ground between Dark Souls and Dead Cells is more that combat is always, always, always potentially deadly. In most metroidvanias you inevitably reach a point where you have enough health or powers to just shrug off everything but the bosses. In Dead Cells, though, every enemy can wreck you if you stop paying attention for even a moment. Beyond that the actual combat is a brilliant inversion of Dark Souls, where instead of baiting out attacks and taking advantage, you've got to get in there and gently caress people up as fast as possible. If you hesitate or play it too safe enemies can tear you apart, so speed and brutality are in high demand. I think that's what makes it feel so good to play... Dead Cells doesn't want you to make measured, balanced characters to face diverse challenges, it wants you to become a blood-gargling psychopath that mulches everything in sight instantly. And everything from the synergy between weapons to the timed doors is designed to support that.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Too Shy Guy posted:

I think the common ground between Dark Souls and Dead Cells is more that combat is always, always, always potentially deadly. In most metroidvanias you inevitably reach a point where you have enough health or powers to just shrug off everything but the bosses. In Dead Cells, though, every enemy can wreck you if you stop paying attention for even a moment. Beyond that the actual combat is a brilliant inversion of Dark Souls, where instead of baiting out attacks and taking advantage, you've got to get in there and gently caress people up as fast as possible. If you hesitate or play it too safe enemies can tear you apart, so speed and brutality are in high demand. I think that's what makes it feel so good to play... Dead Cells doesn't want you to make measured, balanced characters to face diverse challenges, it wants you to become a blood-gargling psychopath that mulches everything in sight instantly. And everything from the synergy between weapons to the timed doors is designed to support that.

Thanks for overselling me on the game even though I got it gifted already. Holy poo poo that sounds awesome, but I still want it to leave EA before diving in.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ok dude fine 2ships1controller

1 player 2 player mode
1 player 2 ships

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Relax, I was actually laughing

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 2, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Other 1 player coop games: Brothers, Ice Climbers, The Swapper

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Seeric posted:

Doom (the new one) - I really need to make room on my hard drive so I can play this.
Yes you do!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The new DOOM is loving awesome, not just on its own merits as a game, but because it's a reboot done with incredible care and love... which is exceedingly rare.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Taima posted:

The new DOOM is loving awesome, not just on its own merits as a game, but because it's a reboot done with incredible care and love... which is exceedingly rare.
Agreed. Fart Of Presto gifted this to me during the sale (thanks again!) and it's actually fun as hell. Fast-paced, manic but controlled, everything Wolfenstein wasn't.

Owns hard. The secrets drive me nuts but the movement speed is so quick that it's barely a pain to backtrack for them.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well despite not really being into rogue-likes(mostly I hate perma-death), I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on Dungeonmans at the very last minute before the sale ended and I'm really glad I did. I just played it for about 30 minutes, I have to take off now, but yeah, it really scratches my RPG/Dungeon Crawler itch. I've hardly scratched the surface of the game and I've only died once, but I'm already really feeling the whole presentation. It feels refined, with a lot of heart. And when I did die I didn't get that feeling of annoyance I got when I tried Rogue Legacy (though I didn't really give that game an honest shot either).

Anyway, 30 minutes isn't really enough to tell anything for sure, but I have such a short attention span that I routinely start a new game, play it for 10-15 minutes then exit out realizing I'll never touch it again. So the fact that I would be playing it right now if I didn't have other things I needed to go do means that it's a definite keeper. It feels like a very Goldilocks game. Everything about it is just right, at least so far, and I see this taking up enough of my time that I don't have to worry about finding something to play between now and Dead Cells coming out of EA.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

Relax, I was actually laughing because the expression "1 player coop" owns, I wasn't being pedantic

Sry, too used to the pedantic goon archetype

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Death Road to Canada is some funny poo poo and probably the only game in which a Mexican wrestler can plow through a pack of zombies in an oscar meyer weiner mobile.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Joe Man posted:

Agreed. Fart Of Presto gifted this to me during the sale (thanks again!) and it's actually fun as hell. Fast-paced, manic but controlled, everything Wolfenstein wasn't.

Owns hard. The secrets drive me nuts but the movement speed is so quick that it's barely a pain to backtrack for them.

Remember how the resident grognards couldn't bitch enough about it when gameplay trailers were released, because it wasn't "doom enough"?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Remember how the resident grognards couldn't bitch enough about it when gameplay trailers were released, because it wasn't "doom enough"?
Yeah but they were right; all footage before Nvidia's was released looked absolutely terrible & slow, even worse than Doom 3. I thought it was going to be poo poo too until people actually got their hands on it and started reviewing it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

until the nvidia trailer they had only showed off multiplayer, which is in fact garbage

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I've said it before, but I didn't even consider buying DOOM until about 3 days prior to release, when that Nvidia video went viral. And I'm a Doom goon who plays Doom 2 WADs regularly and wears a disgusting Doom t-shirt. Personally, I didn't have any vitriol for the pre-release product, but the way Bethesda was selling it was completely unappealing to me.

It makes sense that some previews of the game would be "played" at a slower speed to demonstrate the graphics and mechanics without overwhelming viewers in a blur of nauseating camera movement, but the fact that not a single official Bethesda marketing video (as far as I can tell) showed the game at "true" speed is kind of absurd.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

-Blackadder- posted:

Well despite not really being into rogue-likes(mostly I hate perma-death), I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on Dungeonmans at the very last minute before the sale ended and I'm really glad I did. I just played it for about 30 minutes, I have to take off now, but yeah, it really scratches my RPG/Dungeon Crawler itch. I've hardly scratched the surface of the game and I've only died once, but I'm already really feeling the whole presentation. It feels refined, with a lot of heart. And when I did die I didn't get that feeling of annoyance I got when I tried Rogue Legacy (though I didn't really give that game an honest shot either).

Anyway, 30 minutes isn't really enough to tell anything for sure, but I have such a short attention span that I routinely start a new game, play it for 10-15 minutes then exit out realizing I'll never touch it again. So the fact that I would be playing it right now if I didn't have other things I needed to go do means that it's a definite keeper. It feels like a very Goldilocks game. Everything about it is just right, at least so far, and I see this taking up enough of my time that I don't have to worry about finding something to play between now and Dead Cells coming out of EA.

Well once you had your fill with Dungeonmans and Dead Cells, keep an eye out for Stoneshard in 2018.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Too Shy Guy posted:

Maybe I'm playing the game incorrectly but it seems to teach me to spam grenades and traps and stay out-of-sight as much as possible until things slowly die because getting hit by basically anything in the later stages will cost least 50% of my health. You're probably right in that I need to start playing more with the weapons instead of skills if I ever want to have a prayer of beating the final boss though.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've said it before, but I didn't even consider buying DOOM until about 3 days prior to release, when that Nvidia video went viral. And I'm a Doom goon who plays Doom 2 WADs regularly and wears a disgusting Doom t-shirt. Personally, I didn't have any vitriol for the pre-release product, but the way Bethesda was selling it was completely unappealing to me.

It makes sense that some previews of the game would be "played" at a slower speed to demonstrate the graphics and mechanics without overwhelming viewers in a blur of nauseating camera movement, but the fact that not a single official Bethesda marketing video (as far as I can tell) showed the game at "true" speed is kind of absurd.

Never stops to amaze me how you can be in the game business and still gently caress up like this. Bethesda for sure, but other companies as well. Makes me wonder if the game business is a special case and is so much worse than other businesses are, of actually having a clue on what to do right. Or maybe that producing and selling games is such a hard business to succeed in that you are bound to fail so much? Even if you're supposed to be a professional company at it.

Just seems to me that you have a lot of clear cut gently caress-ups that really shouldn't be if you're a game company knowing what you are producing and selling. It seems so many people in executive positions simply don't.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Lakitu7 posted:

Maybe I'm playing the game incorrectly but it seems to teach me to spam grenades and traps and stay out-of-sight as much as possible until things slowly die because getting hit by basically anything in the later stages will cost least 50% of my health. You're probably right in that I need to start playing more with the weapons instead of skills if I ever want to have a prayer of beating the final boss though.

I've only logged about 2 hours but on my third ever run I got the teleport rune, killed the Incomplete One, and nearly finished the Graveyard with twin blades and a high-damage pair of grenades. I didn't even use the grenades that much, just to wipe out big groups if killing big guys attracted a crowd. If you're doing a ton of damage it doesn't matter how much the enemies do because they're dead. And even enemies you can't kill instantly get stunned at certain damage thresholds, or can be stunned by effects on your weapons. Add to that the big exclamation-point tells when an attack is incoming and the invincibility on your rolls, and there's no reason you shouldn't be right in everyone's face all the time. The harder areas in the game have more and more ways to punish caution, like the teleporting zombies and the scythe-guy's chain.

Mistakes are obviously going to be painful, and flubbing a roll is what ended that run at the Graveyard. However, you can cover for a lot of mistakes through the rally system and going twice as hard when you get hit. That's what I mean about everything being built around going fast, you can avoid tons of damage and heal back tons of hits by staying in the fight. And ultimately it's just too much fun to cuisinart an entire roomful of monsters or dive-smash unsuspecting foes.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The only special item combo that allows you to cheese most of the game I've encountered is the fire grenade + magnet bomb. If you have even a few points in special ups then It pretty much just drags everyone into a gigantic extremely high DoT inferno that makes most non boss enemies trivial. Barring that though maximum carnage dodge rolling left and right while slashing everything to bits is the way to go.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Axetrain posted:

The only special item combo that allows you to cheese most of the game I've encountered is the fire grenade + magnet bomb. If you have even a few points in special ups then It pretty much just drags everyone into a giant extremely high DoT inferno that makes most non boss enemies trivial. Barring that though maximum carnage dodge rolling left and right while slashing everything to bits is the way to go.

There are a ton of of equally effective cheese combos. Finding them is part of the fun!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I can't think of a moderately successful run where I didn't get some combo of fire grenade, magnet grenade, horizontal turret, meat grinder, or even just spamming the heck out of regular grenades every 2-3 seconds.

Probably it's self-fulfilling for me. Grenades are good so I keep taking +skills and ignoring +weapons. I'm not rushing in to do damage and stop it so all hits I take do full damage. I need to break that habit and admit that some runs will end early while I adjust. You can get through a lot of the first boss with grenade spam but it's clear that the second/final one is a big "you built your character incorrectly; you're dead now" wall.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

If, for some reason, you were like me and forgot to hit the buy button on your Steam cart before the Summer Sale ended (seriously, if you say it ends on July 5th, you should INCLUDE the day, not end it when the day STARTS) Hollow Knight and Convoy are both the cheapest they've ever been over on the Humble store.

Yes this is a cross-post from the Steam thread. Sorry.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

palpek is slacking on killing this thread

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

palpek is slacking on killing this thread
Summer Sales aren't over, thread doesn't need killing!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Downs Duck posted:

Never stops to amaze me how you can be in the game business and still gently caress up like this. Bethesda for sure, but other companies as well. Makes me wonder if the game business is a special case and is so much worse than other businesses are, of actually having a clue on what to do right. Or maybe that producing and selling games is such a hard business to succeed in that you are bound to fail so much? Even if you're supposed to be a professional company at it.

Just seems to me that you have a lot of clear cut gently caress-ups that really shouldn't be if you're a game company knowing what you are producing and selling. It seems so many people in executive positions simply don't.

They went and did the same thing with Prey. Instead of emphasizing that, hey, we've made a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, most of the trailers emphasized the alien blasting action.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Downs Duck posted:

From what I understand as a person who is sorta on the periphery of the industry (it's a long story) the biggest problem is that marketing and PR (at large companies) are typically business departments that merely pretend to understand what it is video game hobbyists actually want but probably actually understand what mainstream video game buyers want. They rely on focus groups, owned IP, and science to pump out media that is supposed to guarantee sales to the broadest market possible which, oddly, doesn't include you or me. It's entirely possible that they purposely showed off an underwhelming Doom because they knew reviewers were going to be caught off guard which would boost their scores due to (a thing I've talked about somewhere else before) expectation-based reviewing.

In other words, what you and I consider bad marketing may have actually been better than what you and I consider good marketing; we just wouldn't know because we 1: Aren't the mainstream and 2: Aren't sociology majors.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Mordja posted:

They went and did the same thing with Prey. Instead of emphasizing that, hey, we've made a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, most of the trailers emphasized the alien blasting action.
What's all this then? Tell me more

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Post Sale Talk:

ARK is $59.99 regular price now. When the hell did that happen and more importantly how in the poo poo can they justify a price hike like that. I remember buying it when new for 20.

Givin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 7, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"parity with the retail version" which goes on sale soon apparently lol

if you buy that piece of poo poo game at any price you deserve what you get

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

DaveKap posted:

Summer Sales aren't over, thread doesn't need killing!

The Humble Bundle one just started, might as well keep it alive for a bit longer.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mordja posted:

I know! Frustrating beyond belief. And it just keeps on happening.

DaveKap posted:

From what I understand as a person who is sorta on the periphery of the industry (it's a long story) the biggest problem is that marketing and PR (at large companies) are typically business departments that merely pretend to understand what it is video game hobbyists actually want but probably actually understand what mainstream video game buyers want. They rely on focus groups, owned IP, and science to pump out media that is supposed to guarantee sales to the broadest market possible which, oddly, doesn't include you or me. It's entirely possible that they purposely showed off an underwhelming Doom because they knew reviewers were going to be caught off guard which would boost their scores due to (a thing I've talked about somewhere else before) expectation-based reviewing.

In other words, what you and I consider bad marketing may have actually been better than what you and I consider good marketing; we just wouldn't know because we 1: Aren't the mainstream and 2: Aren't sociology majors.

I'm not saying you are wrong, because what you write seems to kind of make sense. But (and in before someone says "sweet summer child" I really thought whether you just majored in business/marketing or did your MBA at Wherever College you still - at an absolute minimum - have to educate yourself about the business you seek out, get hired for, or just end up working in. No matter if that business is cars, video games or washing powder. It should be obvious to anyone or am I missing something? Knowing your market and customers, not to mention your product should be the first on everyone's agenda working in the business.

Say they (and you) are right about that Doom strategy; they have still done so many fuckups before, I can't be alone in thinking that. Video games seems like the only business you can get away marketing for and (assumingly) not knowing what the gently caress you are doing.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

The Rosefinch Curse (Ning's Wing 1) - escape the place game that can be obtuse at times

Huh, I remember playing this as a flash game tears ago, does the steam version add anything?

• Locked thread