Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i used to play quake 1 and half life 1 twice every year but i have a hard time stomaching doom 2's insane length and labyrinthine city stages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

you have to play the doom 2 campaign before you can play cool wads. its the law

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i did its just the classic fps i replay the least

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of those city maps has an 11 minute par competition time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really like doom 2 but it has some bad maps. I always gr8 to the city and forget to keep playing lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never finished doom 2

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

new doom is good but i recommend just playing the arcade mode on hard or above once you get a feel for it.

the games mechanics make no sense on easy/normal because the healing and resources from melee attacks is super generous and the enemies arent really a threat

in hard and above even the weakest hits lop off big chunks of your health, and the melee system forces you to play like a linebacker charging through enemies in close quarters instead of being safe and defensive. its a ton of fun and there arent exactly loads of other good modern shooters. idk i think its lovely to dismiss it because its not 1:1 old doom with pretty graphics

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoyed Doom 2016 but I think it's about twice as long as it needed to be. I would probably replay it on arcade mode and stuff if you could blow through it in 4 hours and they put all the bosses better spaced out instead of dropping 3 of them in the last level for some reason.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nongunz isn't on sale but I bought it anyway and requested a refund 20 minutes later. Bad controls and obtuse menus. Bad.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
whatever it is that defines the house style of modern id software games, i dont like it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

whatever it is that defines the house style of modern id software games, i dont like it

There's something sluggish and suffocating about them I can't really explain. Reminds me of early unreal engine 3 stuff. It's totally subjective I guess I just feel like I'm wading through grease trying to play them properly

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played the demo and don't like anything about it

For whatever reason, they decided that the shortest and worst level by a long shot would be good for the demo.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's something sluggish and suffocating about them I can't really explain. Reminds me of early unreal engine 3 stuff. It's totally subjective I guess I just feel like I'm wading through grease trying to play them properly

agreed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The melee takedowns in Doom never stopped annoying me especially when you upgrade their range and your just teleporting around the screen like a VR game.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Nongunz isn't on sale but I bought it anyway and requested a refund 20 minutes later. Bad controls and obtuse menus. Bad.

what did you find bad about the controls? i've had no issues, and probably was more willing to work through the obfuscation because i'm having so much fun with the gameplay.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

The melee takedowns in Doom never stopped annoying me especially when you upgrade their range and your just teleporting around the screen like a VR game.

the extended melee range rune is practically a cheat code and idk what they were thinking giving that to the player

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

picked up wolfenstien new order

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having what is basically gokus instant transmission to murder demons is cool

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Stanley Tweedle posted:

what did you find bad about the controls? i've had no issues, and probably was more willing to work through the obfuscation because i'm having so much fun with the gameplay.

Floaty/slidey feeling that I'm sure I could get used to but just didn't feel like it, to be honest

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Extended melee range = no
Faster melee speed = very yes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In Training posted:

I enjoyed Doom 2016 but I think it's about twice as long as it needed to be. I would probably replay it on arcade mode and stuff if you could blow through it in 4 hours and they put all the bosses better spaced out instead of dropping 3 of them in the last level for some reason.

i liked the game but yeah it did feel longer than necessary. never tried arcade mode though & i probably should.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Floaty/slidey feeling that I'm sure I could get used to but just didn't feel like it, to be honest

that's reasonable. you can stack feather powerups to make it way more floaty, and with a level 3 bird skull's three air jumps, pretty much never touch the ground.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hated the doom demo but played some multiplayer at my friends house. It was funny owning people with the quake railgun/lg combo since apparently nobody knows how to play a real shooter anymore. I might buy it since it's on sale

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I would kill for a Nuclear Throne mode. Generated areas, random weapons hidden around the place, etc. Just give the player tons of twitch shooter gameplay without making them re-run the same levels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I hated the doom demo but played some multiplayer at my friends house. It was funny owning people with the quake railgun/lg combo since apparently nobody knows how to play a real shooter anymore. I might buy it since it's on sale

If you actually absolutely hated the demo the full game won't really change your mind.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

If you actually absolutely hated the demo the full game won't really change your mind.

Yeah that's what I thought. It just seems to be the worst of old shooters where the enemies are bullet spongy on hard and the worst of new shooters where you have to rely on melee kills and headshots for the same reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's no level design either. The entire game is a string of combat arenas. I enjoyed that in parts but that's why I thought it was way too long, there's nothing new or interesting after you get the shotgun and then the game last 12 hours long and has half life 2 style walk and talks and such

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

There's no level design either. The entire game is a string of combat arenas. I enjoyed that in parts but that's why I thought it was way too long, there's nothing new or interesting after you get the shotgun and then the game last 12 hours long and has half life 2 style walk and talks and such

Everyday I thank did Todd Howard for his astounding influence on game design

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

they constantly introduce new enemies and theres a lot of wide open levels lol. the moments where the action dies down are awkward but theyre short and not at all as bad as the crap in hl2

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

that said a mode where its just generated murder arena after murder arena with only a second to breathe between them would be better than the campaign/arcade mode

theres a really awesome, addictive action game in there and when they plug it to have you go get a key or something it sucks rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

they constantly introduce new enemies and theres a lot of wide open levels lol. the moments where the action dies down are awkward but theyre short and not at all as bad as the crap in hl2

There are 0 levels in the game where you can't kill enemies, because when I play FPS games I try to run past every enemy but in Doom 2016 there's rock slabs all over the game that won't go away until you kill everything. It's why I liked Titanfall 2 more, there's like 2 parts in the whole game you have fight your way out of a locked arena

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i play shooting games to run past everything and avoid the level design - someone normal probably

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's the woke way to play FPSes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"The Dark Souls of [genre]" means you can run past all the enemies. Game developers just haven't realized this yet.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't imagine playing a doom game where I have to collect key cards to progress

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

frank.club posted:

I can't imagine playing a doom game where I have to collect key cards to progress

lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its fun to play games as intended and its also fun to see how far you can push not killing things and speedrunning with rocketjumps (quake 1 ftw)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

Lol, but there's no card keys laying around the level in the new doom. You find a Blue Door and then a demon portal spawns next toit and you kill 40 demons and then they drop a Blue Key.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

its fun to play games as intended and its also fun to see how far you can push not killing things and speedrunning with rocketjumps (quake 1 ftw)

Spending 10 minutes exploring E1M1 and then seeing a Par Time of thirty seconds permanently broke my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I bought like twenty different shmups for $6.90 CAD this sale.

• Locked thread