Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Only reason I'm not at the moment is because FF mafia is running and that looks like a goddamn monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Signing up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

I know it's a faux pas to talk about other games, but I joined this because I was certain I was going to die in FF mafia.

Yay!

I'm going to have to find a way to jot down roles in two games at once now without going insane!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Dhaes posted:

is omgus still a thing actually

I don't know? I've played like 5 or 6 games of mafia now and I've seen it mentioned once and almost get the guy who mentioned it lynched.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

I used to spend all my time on Wrestlehut2k/Punchsport Pagoda/Rowdy Ringsports. But now wrestling is poo poo so I stopped.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

##vote Hal Incandenza

Getting in before he policy votes me!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Added Space posted:

In more subtle news, JT also announced he would unilaterally pull out of intelligence sharing agreements. The reason he gave was uncertainty over how the information would be used.

Given all the poo poo the CIA has been up to, I'm not surprised.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Captain Foo posted:

seriouschat can we knock it off with poltalk in this game of mafia

there's an entire forum you can take it to if you like

Boooooo

I'm here for chats with mafia players.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Hal Incandenza posted:

hey hows it going

Hal! How are you babes?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

areyoucontagious posted:

I let my wife know and now she's leaving me

Thanks something awful

Implying you ever had a wife to begin with.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Quidthulhu posted:

what made wrestling poo poo?? i was thinking about getting back into it

Nonsensical booking and story decisions. For example, the first ever Women's Money in the Bank ladder match was won by a man.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Quidthulhu posted:

He did not, did you read my post? He basically said nothing, he could have not posted at all and added as much to the conversation.

A person can caveat thoughts on day 1 and still be saying relevant things to a discussion. Saying, "I think x is likely, but y is a possibility as well" is not in fact saying nothing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Added Space posted:

I'm still against D1 lynches based on the math.

You and me both my friend.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You and me both my friend.

Careful though, you'll have experienced maf players raging constantly at you.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

areyoucontagious posted:

No lynch is a powerful tool. We used it a few times in Kash's flipless game.

I was in a game recently where it turned out I was kingmaker on the final day between mafia and an SK. I realise now if I'd chosen to nolynch that day I probably would have won the game for town. (Assuming an order of operations where if the sk and mafia decide to kill each other both resolve.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Quidthulhu posted:

I'm not saying this isn't a possibility but you guys are acting like "faking content" isn't something scum need to do in this game. It is very possible that that is fake content from AYC.

You' are right to say that there is a possibility that AYC made that statement. You've come in and soft defended him here and yet have done the same thing: You haven't made a hard call on him, and frankly you also haven't made a hard call on me, so right now your response looks worse.

Two questions:

-Do you like AYC's response to my callout? Why or why not?
-Who do you think is scum right now?

What?

Why the hell would I hard call people on their D1 behaviour when I have like all of four posts to go off of? Why would my response look better if I hard called based on basically no information?

Question 1: His response seems completely reasonable given that you vote him for advancing cautious arguments on D1.
Question 2: You given how hard you're pushing people on basically nothing. Other than that I have too little information to make meaningful calls.

Am I going to vote for you? No, because D1 lynches are bad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Quidthulhu posted:

What is with this new wave of mafia players who think D1 is useless

A flip on D1 gives us information about :

-who they were looking at and the opinions they formed
-how people responded to their opinions
-how other people responded to other people responding to their opinions

EVEN IF we get a town flip, we can make connections about how people pushed and if the cases were faked or not. A town flip D1 is more valuable than a scum flip.

PLUS with a successful night kill you end up with 2 dead town which gives you a TON to go on. Also helpful if you got scum and have a nk.

No dunking D1 puts us in basically the same place on D2. Fundamentally this game is a game of an informed minority vs. and uninformed majority. Knowledge is power for town, and flips are absolute truth.

Advocating for a no dunk D1 is unequivocally wrong. If you disagree, you don't understand the game.

This is untrue because D2 follows N1 where powers go off and someone gets killed by scum. We have fundamentally more information in all circumstances and I'm more comfortable lynching then. The D1 information isn't worth a town member dying because we're fundamentally lazy players that go for stupid lynches early.

It's like how on D1 if Infinitum is in the game he's eating the lynch like 60-70% of the time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is untrue because D2 follows N1 where powers go off and someone gets killed by scum. We have fundamentally more information in all circumstances and I'm more comfortable lynching then. The D1 information isn't worth a town member dying because we're fundamentally lazy players that go for stupid lynches early.

It's like how on D1 if Infinitum is in the game he's eating the lynch like 60-70% of the time.

I mean I can see the other side, I just don't agree with it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

EXAKT Science posted:

The only way that town gets info from N1 is if power roles out themselves day 2 (usually bad play). The flip from an NK is WORTH very little as information compared to a day flip

Nah not true, the town roles themselves get information which means that town has information by proxy even without outing themselves. You have much more to work off of which is why I'm okay with D2 lynches.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Quidthulhu posted:

YT continues to talk about mafia mechanics and not scumhunt.

AYC pops in any time he is mentioned to tell everyone how wrong they are about him being scum.

This is clearly scum play from both of them??

No, it's what I do literally every D1 because it's a worthless day.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Quidthulhu posted:

Then stop posting in thread until D1 is over? Why keep popping in to reiterate over and over again a point we know you stand by?

Because if I don't post some chucklehead will note that I stopped posting and I might find myself being lynched.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Quidthulhu posted:

If you're town, why do you care if you get dunked? That gives information to the town. You still win if you're dead.

If you remember, I don't think that a town death D1 is worth the information that's generated from their death.

Alternatively, I would rather play mafia and lose than not play mafia and win.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Is that why you are voting me?

Even if you don't want to play D1 you can at least make an attempt to put your vote in a place where it might matter.

Oh poo poo am I still doing that?

##unvote

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Hello friends.

I can probably shed some light on this.

I was in a masonry with Fisk. Combined we were a town aligned JOAT. We could track, watch or gunsmith people. Fisk would pick the JOAT ability to use and I would pick the target. With Fisk dead we've lost JOAT since I can target people but can't JOAT. So I'm VT for the rest of the game.

I can say that we tracked Gif last night and he didn't visit anyone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Captain Foo posted:

was this a confirmed masonry, i.e. are you explicitly claiming Fisk (and you) are Town-aligned?

Yes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

EXAKT Science posted:

Maybe commuter isn't the right word, but I meant maybe he got disappeared somehow and will be coming back at some point

From the wording Somber gave me on mason chat. I really really doubt this.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Captain Foo posted:

are you trying to get your giftees killed

Yeah this is some squeaky clean play right here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is really opportunistic.

Really? Man is trying to get his giftees to come out as his giftees. If they do so scum are likely to murder them tonight because they have admitted powers.

It's a play I don't understand because it's bizarre if he's town and also additionally bizarre if he's scum. If he's town it's odd because of the above, if he's scum, why does scum have the ability to grant abilities to other players and why would they give those abilities to town.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Really? Man is trying to get his giftees to come out as his giftees. If they do so scum are likely to murder them tonight because they have admitted powers.

It's a play I don't understand because it's bizarre if he's town and also additionally bizarre if he's scum. If he's town it's odd because of the above, if he's scum, why does scum have the ability to grant abilities to other players and why would they give those abilities to town.

Is AS new? I forget.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Pinterest Mom posted:

AS is extremely new

Oh right, then I take that back. That's the kind of poo poo I do all the time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Added Space posted:

Yeah, very new. Hey, I had to claim to avoid a landslide vote so I could use my power. I don't know if my gift receivers are town either, so people knowing I gave something to somebody might help in the long run.

I still feel I should give out the poison publicly since who kills whom with it seems very relevant to town interests.

Have you in any way breadcrumbed what your gifts were? There could be multiple roles going about that do similar things.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Added Space posted:

Reading wiki articles on Janitor, they do say that in many cases the janitor gets the flip information and should then claim the role that person had.

If we assume I'm the scum janitor and fakeclaimed the role I just killed what would the logical play be?

I'd probably claim to have tracked another scum player that I knew didn't move that night and then they'd come to my defense saying that's correct.

The problem I have is that we tracked gif because Jfisk suggested it at the beginning of the night and then went afk because of thanksgiving. I actually suggested that we should use gunsmith instead because to me that's like having a cop, but he wasn't around for it. Eventually he got a PM to somber saying he was definitely picking track and so I kept to the original plan.

So unfortunately, now, the only person who can verify what I've said is a guy who has posted all of like four times since the game started.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Captain Foo posted:

Let's examine: it doesn't tell us anything! any random flip is most likely to be town. all this does is give YT a free claim on town that's basically unconfirmable, because gif isn't posting anyway and indeed was nearly lynched for being a lurker.

Holy gently caress you're a dense motherfucker aren't you.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The problem I have is that we tracked gif because Jfisk suggested it at the beginning of the night and then went afk because of thanksgiving. I actually suggested that we should use gunsmith instead because to me that's like having a cop, but he wasn't around for it. Eventually he got a PM to somber saying he was definitely picking track and so I kept to the original plan.

So unfortunately, now, the only person who can verify what I've said is a guy who has posted all of like four times since the game started.

I literally listed this as the very problem that I have. You even quoted me!

Captain Foo posted:

I don't particularly like this basically unprompted If I Were Scum play, especially in light of what EXAKT said that's been part of my thinking all along:

And how exactly is it unprompted?

Added Space posted:

Reading wiki articles on Janitor, they do say that in many cases the janitor gets the flip information and should then claim the role that person had.

AS literally suggests that I might be the scum janitor claiming to be assuming the role of the person that flipped.

This is an awful case to make based off of either poorly reading what I've written and the context in which it was written or deliberately obscuring stuff to build a claim.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Hal Incandenza posted:

YTs claim smells bad, and it seemed like a prepared statement more than a natural reaction to events.

Look the only thing I can say is that I wouldn't take a risk like that as scum to generate information and I wouldn't name gif unless I'd actually tracked the guy.

Like honestly as town the worst case scenario for me is dying and confirming two flips for you as well as a night action, which is a really, really, good worst case.

Retro Futurist posted:

##vote yt

Can we not mess it up today please

This is a garbage vote though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Dhaes posted:

nah its poo poo claim

You're a poo poo claim.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Hal Incandenza posted:

What was your and fisks flavor?

We are Jacob and Isaac Lawless, brothers who haven't seen each other in a long time. My character is part of the crew and cajoles him into joining.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Kashuno posted:

##vote YT let's kill early and get this extended d1 out of the way.

Et tu Kashuno.

Seriously though if you want a lynch target it should be Foo.

Let's examine:

I initially get accused by Foo and post this rebuttal to the argument. Since quoting is weird, just click the quote to see.

The only response I get to that is:

Followed by this:

Captain Foo posted:

Pinterest Mom who do you think is the scum

Which foo uses to basically ignore anything I've said.

Then, Quid posts a reasonable explanation of why I'm unlikely to be scum which Foo then laughs off. But additionally when pushed, provides an explanation that makes no sense:

Captain Foo posted:

It requires an understanding of what the scum abilites and strategy are

town is not in a place to know them right now ( on later days there can be more constraints because town has more information and actions of they own)

Therefore I can only judge on what I saw, which seemed like scummy play to me

This is bullshit. For a lot of reasons, if I were to assume this then I couldn't assume anything about scum motives ever for the first two to three days of the game. That's an insane way to play mafia. We can and often do assume at least some scum capabilities based on what we imagine a fair game might look like. These get revised and updated as time goes on but this doesn't mean we can't initially do something.

It also bears mentioning, how does Foo, if this is true, know what "seems" like scummy play to begin with? It's because he's assuming things about the setup of the game to come to the conclusion that I'm scum to begin with, but when shown that this makes me more likely to be town, he rejects it.

##vote Captain Foo

I have literally no problem with being apathy lynched, but there's a case here that we're dropping for no good reason. The information I'll provide is strong enough that it's likely to help town fairly significantly anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

EXAKT Science posted:

YT what is your read on Opop?

Reads as extremely lazy. What's actually interesting is that his vote sits on Foo and then switches to me. This reads as scummy to me as Foo and I are in opposite corners and it looks like Opop is just trying to cross one of us off the board and it doesn't matter which.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

EXAKT Science posted:

Flavor case but I don't buy this bc taste breadcrumbs a masonry by telling YT to check their PMs, so I think the masonry was created rather than inherent

That's because BK replaced out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

So long, Ex-Ma Fergie!

Sorry to clarify.

BK and I were chatting a lot in our mason disco.

BK replaced out but did when i was asleep and somber created a new disco for me and jfisk.

I didn't know that had happened and hadn't checked disco so jfisk mentioned PMing me here to get me to look at the new mason disco.

In retrospect I should probably have led with that to confirm that I wasn't lying about the masonry.

• Locked thread