Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZqDO6cTYVY

Wikipedia (GLOW) | Wikipedia (TV Show) | Twitter | IMDB

G.L.O.W.
Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, also known as GLOW or G.L.O.W., is a women's professional wrestling promotion begun in 1986 and continued in various forms after it left television. Colorful characters, strong women and over-the-top comedy sketches were integral to the series' success. Most of the performers were actresses, models, dancers and/or stunt women hoping to get into show business through wrestling.

Show Synopsis posted:

Set in 1980s Los Angeles, Ruth Wilder, a struggling actress, receives an invitation for an audition along with 12 other women in a fledgling professional wrestling promotion called the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW).

GLOW is a loose adaptation of the real life women's wrestling competition of the same name.
Cast:
Alison Brie as Ruth Wilder
Betty Gilpin as Debbie Eagan
Marc Maron as Sam Sylvia
Britney Young as Carmen Wade
Sydelle Noel as Cherry Bang
Britt Baron as Justine
Jackie Tohn as Melrose
Kimmy Gatewood as Stacey
Rebekka Johnson as Dawn
Kate Nash as Rhonda
Sunita Mani as Arthie
Kia Stevens as Tammé
Gayle Rankin as Sheila the She Wolf
Ellen Wong as Jenny
Chris Lowell as Sebastian “Bash” Howard
Alex Rich as Florian

Videos:
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZqDO6cTYVY
Teaser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgW8p6F0oAY
Featurette - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66qxBlU660

Glow: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling | Documentry (what this show is based on)

Posters:

http://i.imgur.com/jgjstzi.gifv
:boom:

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Will need to watch this at some point. Sounds awesome.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Saw the first 2 episodes of this. Pretty good so far!

Really short, though. 10 half hour long episodes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Reinanigans posted:

Saw the first 2 episodes of this. Pretty good so far!

Really short, though. 10 half hour long episodes.

I'm honestly OK with that. I've honestly been liking Netflix putting out half-hour shows the last couple of years. Sometimes you just have a little time to kill between things, or you just want to kill a lazy Sunday afternoon and still enjoy some time in sunlight.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Seeing Alison Brie topless in the first episode makes up for the fact that we never saw Justin Theroux's cock in The Leftovers.

Show is good so far.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Seeing Alison Brie topless in the first episode makes up for the fact that we never saw Justin Theroux's cock in The Leftovers.

Show is good so far.

gently caress

time to watch this now.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

well, now i'm hooked. this is pretty awesome.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Right? Tits are awesome.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
However in the context of a character so downtrodden and in terrible 80's make-up it does rather drains the sexiness out of it.

Found the first episode good enough that I'll carry on watching but it wasn't earth shattering.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Huh, so this is based on a true story and this wrestling league was actually televised during the 80's and 90's. I'm an 80's/90's kid and I don't seem to recall remembering seeing this on TV though.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM

Mister Fister posted:

Huh, so this is based on a true story and this wrestling league was actually televised during the 80's and 90's. I'm an 80's/90's kid and I don't seem to recall remembering seeing this on TV though.

Inspired more so than based on. I'm through the first five episodes and find it pretty good though. But I'm a wrestling mark, so I was destined to like this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loving love wrestling, I loving love Alison Brie and I lowkey love Jenji Kohan's shows enough that I enjoyed the back half of Weeds.

This show is 100% my jam so far.

I'm only finishing up the pilot now, but other than the obvious 'loving her best friend's husband'-- and I'm sure she'll have more flaws later-- this is probably the most genuinely good person to head one of Kohan's shows.

Like, Nancy and Piper are loving unsalvagable pieces of poo poo, for the most part. That's why I like them so much, and am so forgiving of Kohan's poo poo. From the start Ruth just seems like a genuinely good, sympathetic person who's definitely made a few mistakes.

idk that just really struck me as different from the typical intro to a Kohan protagonist. I guess Nancy didn't seem all that bad first off, hers was more of a descent into being a POS.

Brie is really good so far, and this homo is pleased she got them titties out.

Kind of looking forward to mostly half hour episodes. The first few seasons of Weeds were super snappy, whereas the running time of Orange is the New Black can really drag it down sometimes.

e: if Alison really did all her spots and bumps for this show, I'm impressed. There was at least one spot off the turnbuckle in the pilot I kind of assume was a double

esperterra fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 23, 2017

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
Finished the season. It's a great show and it's nice to have an OITNB-esque show where the lead character isn't an insufferable rear end in a top hat, hogging time away from far more interesting sub-stories. As an Englishman who was at university when Kate Nash was in the charts, my biggest shock is still reserved for seeing her as a prominent character (and putting in a good performance). But as a wrestling fan, I'm not only not embarrassed by the show but ridiculously excited for Season 2 already. It can't come quickly enough. After all, the money is in the chase.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I want a drug robot.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This has a really good soundtrack too, I'm having to stop netflix skipping the credits after 5 seconds (it used to be 15) to continue listening to songs.

esperterra posted:

I loving love wrestling, I loving love Alison Brie and I lowkey love Jenji Kohan's shows enough that I enjoyed the back half of Weeds.
head one of Kohan's shows.
She's just a producer, no doubt attached to help see things along and provide some imput sure, but I think it is mainly a producer credit so Netflix can boost the show a bit. It was created by Liz Flahive (Writer/producer of Homeland and Nurse Jackie) & Carly Mensch ( w&p of weeds, nurse jackie OITNB) Kohan only has the 1 writing credit for this while the others have 10.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a lot of fun after the first 2 eps. Weird to see Kate Nash too

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, nice! No wonder it feels refreshing. I'm on episode 4, really loving this so far.

e: it's like when people think Tim Burton wrote and directed Nightmare Before Christmas or some poo poo. I didn't read a lot about this show back when they announced it, wrestling + Brie was enough to sell me, but I remember a lot of talk about Kohan's attachment and assumed she was showrunning.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 23, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Finished ep7 and this show is pretty great. As a wrestling fan, it's a lot of fun playing Spot The Actual Wrestler too. So far I've spotted John Morrison, Brodus Clay, Christopher Daniels and Joey Ryan.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

On man, Alex Riley and the PWG arena gets an appearance as well. drat this show is so entertaining and accessible at 30 minutes a pop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Marc Maron is very good at playing a sleazy horny cokehead

No seriously, he's great in this. And all the Ladies are killing it. I grew up on 80s wrestling so this is my jam.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I'm quite enjoying this show so far.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Finished ep7 and this show is pretty great. As a wrestling fan, it's a lot of fun playing Spot The Actual Wrestler too. So far I've spotted John Morrison, Brodus Clay, Christopher Daniels and Joey Ryan.

Carlito (with actual apple), *I think* Frankie Kazarian, and Alex Riley got his rocks off...

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think the one thing I really love about this is show is that it actually seems to understand wrestling. Not specifically the day-in/day-out details of how a fed is run, but its silliness and its theatre. That scene in the second episode where Maron's character slowly choreographs an angle which directly references how Brie's character created a rift with her best friend is a perfect example; wrestling takes a basic piece of human drama and then turns it into a theatrical conflict. It loving owns.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

"Ow... gently caress... I'm having a miscarrige."

This is loving awesome!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I know she's mentioned in the OP, but, uh, Awesome Kong/Kharma is actually a regular.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I know she's mentioned in the OP, but, uh, Awesome Kong/Kharma is actually a regular.

Well, yeah, I didn't really consider her a spot, since she's a pretty major character.

I assume Brodus Clay's brother is a wrestler too, but I don't recognize him at all.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I assume Brodus Clay's brother is a wrestler too, but I don't recognize him at all.
Carlito Caribbean Cool.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Carlito Caribbean Cool.

...that's Carlito? Did he stop eating apples and start eating literally everything else? He looks like 100lbs heavier than I remember him.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I have only seen the pilot so far and never watched the original show but I have seen the documentary about GLOW that is also on Netflix and I have to ask, are the actors here playing real people or original characters based on real people?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wrageowrapper posted:

I have only seen the pilot so far and never watched the original show but I have seen the documentary about GLOW that is also on Netflix and I have to ask, are the actors here playing real people or original characters based on real people?

Original characters based on real people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm on episode 5 and loving it but I gotta ask... when does the actual wrestling start? Season 2? :v:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Goddamn Bash is so quintessentially 80s it's like he came out of a Judd Nelson cloning facility.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I don't know what my favorite part of the show was, whether it was everything related to the Zoya character, my appreciation for all of the foreshadowing of the Justine twist when I rewatch it with my friend, or all the wrestling in-jokes I got and laughed at.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm like, 10 minutes into the first episode and I've already heard Patty Smyth and Sylvester and this rules.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
This show is really great. My wife had to be cajoled into seeing the "wrestling show with that one actress from that sitcom that you only saw two episodes of," but thankfully we're both big Orange fans and I got her into it that way. She absolutely loves the show, we both love the soundtrack, I'm happy that Brie was given the chance to do something out of her usual wheelhouse, and we've got one episode left.

Episode 8: When was the last time you actually saw somebody on TV go through with an abortion?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Yeah this whole season blows past in like no time its really drat good all around.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Watched it all the way thru. Utterly perfect. Could've used more Johnny Mundo.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Gumby posted:

Episode 8: When was the last time you actually saw somebody on TV go through with an abortion?

No big deal, just a womb-goof.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
She was really channeling Annie Edison in that last ep; I thought they were heading towards her finding out that she actually makes a great director. All in all I found it pretty fun; I don't like wrestling at all so I was going to write it off, thinking it was about Alison Brie fighting her way to the top of the ring, but what we actually got was much more compelling than I'd expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The little things in the show make me laugh, like someone having to take a taxi cab all the way from Malibu to Pasadena. That's 44 highway miles or almost 2 hours in bad traffic, plenty of time to sober up.

Also, for some reason the only thing stuck in my head is the very very 80s Mike and Maria Kanellis theme from Smackdown. "I'm burning up in your love❤️ ..."

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 24, 2017

• Locked thread