Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Finished ep7 and this show is pretty great. As a wrestling fan, it's a lot of fun playing Spot The Actual Wrestler too. So far I've spotted John Morrison, Brodus Clay, Christopher Daniels and Joey Ryan.

I know she's mentioned in the OP, but, uh, Awesome Kong/Kharma is actually a regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh that's cool. Are there any other wrestler 'cameos' that we might be missing? My older brother and I were huge on wrestling when we were kids, I'm kind of interested if they've got more current guys peppered in this show that I just don't know of.

Well, Salty The Sack, the trainer from the pilot, is former WWE wrestler John "John Morrison" Hennigan, who now mostly wrestles as Johnny Mundo for Lucha Underground. And Tammé is played by Kia Stevens, otherwise known as Awesome Kong or Kharma. That's actually an in-joke in episode 2, where Cherry asks Carmen to help her show how to lock-up and Tammé thinks she's being asked and goes "I don't know anything about wrestling".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

GLOW is the only universe known to humanity where Alex Riley would be over as a main eventer.

Nah, he'd be perfect as some mid-level teritory's local white-bread babyface champion who brags about the time he once did a 30 minute draw with Ric Flair for the NWA World title.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only just hit ep 5 but as a wrestling fan, 2 little things that i noticed: I appreciate them getting actually known wrestlers, but good lord the guys could at least have tried to work like a mid-80s teritory? Daniels just did his finishing move (the BME) which is EVEN flashier than the move it's based on and that Carmen name-checks.
And they SO clearly got the posters for the dressing room from a British show in Blackpool, cuz Big Daddy, Kendo Nagasaki and Steven Regal are all listed as appearing at the Sandcastle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
HA! Ep 7 "What if Bill Cosby gets mad at us!?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There have also been a couple of spiritual successors, at least one of which I believe was also run by the guy who's the inspiration for Bash. WOW and Wrestlicious being probably the most notable ones. (I may remember WOW more than most because it got a decent amount of play in the Apter mags)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The finale is one of those things that, as a wrestling fan, is both maddening and totally authentic feeling. The episode title had me grinning, especially when Maron says it, because of course it's true. Outside of WWE at times, all US wrestling is about the babyface chasing the heel champ. And as dumb and frustrating as it is, I absolutely buy that Ruth and Debbie would for some reason decide that working the girls would make sense for their big show-stopping angle. It fits both their egos and is classic pro-wrestling hubris. I'm also a sucker for a good sports movie/let's save the theatre story which is what the show turns into

EDIT: gently caress! I just got one of the in-jokes and feel like an idiot. The real GLOW had a tag team called Hollywood & Vine. And the Netflix show has Melroe... doy....

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 25, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

That moment in episode 9 where Ruth gives this super heartfelt and 100% honest speech about loving up her life and how wrestling is a better feeling than drugs... and then adds 'crack, specifically' and Bash gives her a tiny thumbs up from the crowd was perfect

I liked Melrose's little proto-Yelp review of LA rehab facilities.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One little detail I only just realised: ep10Debbie had complained during the first show (which was what, the actual pilot before they shot the actual for-air version in the finale?) that Ruth couldn't wear red because her outfit was red. But in the final show, Zoya's gear is almost completely red (also, love the hair which is designed to be part of her evil ushanka) and Liberty Belle's outfit is mostly white with blue stars, showing their relationship has healed at least to the point where they can cooperate and compromise professionally, even if their personal relationship still isn't there yet.

Also, of course Ruth booked herself to be the first GLOW champion. That's why you don't let talent book the matches!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Klungar posted:

Ruth didn't book herself to be the champion, the plan was always for Debbie to win. Tammé ending up with the crown was Sam's last minute addition.

I said FIRST champion. She pins Jenny and then butler-guy brings out the crown, so Zoya at that point is the champ. Then Ruth and Debbie do their angle with the challenge from the crowd and Debbie wins the crown until Tammé steps in and executes Sam's audible.

Capsaicin posted:

Apter Mag GLOW Power Rankings

14/13: Ethel and Edna, The Beatdown Biddies
12: Vicky The Viking
11: Scab
10: Beirut
9: Brittanica
8: Fortune Cookie
7: Zoya The Destroya
6: Sheila The She-Wolf
5: Liberty Belle
4: Welfare Queen
3: Melrose
2: Machu Pichu
1: Junkchain

Machu Pichu #1 all day erry day. <:mad:>
I feel like a fun storyline for season 2 would be, say, Melrose and Sheila getting the opposite reaction to what was intended, where people see Melrose as a heel so she has to deal with the fact that her whole identity is built around getting attention but that's not necessarily a good thing, and Sheila getting validation (that could be fleeting when people see her still dressed up in public, not just in the ring)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Britney Young just radiates likeable and sweet. I'm actually a little sad for her, because I can't imagine her ever getting a role where she's an rear end in a top hat.

I also like how her match with Welfare Queen ended. I guarantee Kia Stevens helped choreograph that and suggested the turnbuckle power bomb, because it's literally the easiest possible way for a non-wrestler to do that move.

Klungar posted:

To be fair, those are usually very common impulses for kids in that kind of situation.

Plus Justine hero-worships Sam. He's not just her deadbeat dad, she's clearly got this whole narrative in her head that he wasn't there for her because he was an Artist, making Important Films. And then she discovers he's a coked-up, alcoholic scumbag who uses his movies to nail wannabe actress bimbos in exchange for featured parts.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 26, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kal-L posted:

But during the live match she walked away before ending the match, and earlier that day she told Ruth that she was hoping to get back with her husband and her old life. They did set it up that way, but it wasn't until that moment with Debbie taking off the coat and revealing her costume that both Ruth and us know that she's now committed to her new life, not caring that her husband thinks it's silly, just like her soap opera days.

Man, this show is really good if we are debating a wrestling storyline inside a comedy show with hot women in revealing costumes and what that means for their character motivations. :psyduck:

They literally have Jenny, Dawn and Stacey confused as to what's going on and saying they were tricked, and then when Debbie and Ruth are arguing with Sam about the finish, they lay out their whole plan in such a way that it couldn't not be on purpose- as noted, Debbie has her wrestling gear on under her dress and also has her make-up and hair done a la Liberty Belle. (They also do a slightly altered version of their match from the first time if you pay attention.) I have NO idea why they thought that working the girls was needed to sell the story, but they apparently did it.

I do have to wonder if the showrunners realise that if this gets renewed, they not only have write storylines and jokes for another 10-12 episodes, but they also basically have to book a wrestling show that has stuff that can compliment those stories and still mostly make sense.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 26, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grem posted:

Wow I didn't know that a lot of that was secondary shots, not sure what they're called, the close ups that would have required a cameraman in the ring and conspicuously don't show the audience.

Pick-ups, most likely. The sort of shots that an editor requests when they realise they're missing coverage for a specific sequence.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One neat little touch I only noticed going back: Arthie shows off a somersault cannonball into the pool as a 'move' she's working on once they're at the motel.

Then in episode 10? Her big spot is a somersault senton!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hence all the AIDS... in the butt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually think the Welfare Queen thing is a little more clever than that. We already saw that Debbie didn't want to work with Tamme because when they tried it, Welfare Queen came off as the babyface, the marginalised black woman fighting back against the face of prissy white Southern privilege. So what does Sam do at the actual taping? Hotshot a storyline where they HAVE to wrestle later.

There was also a discussion in the comments at the AV Club that highlighted something I thought was interesting: Maybe the reason Cherry's not involved in those 'auditions' for GLOW's top heel is because Sam knows that Junkchain MIGHT be able to pull it off in a Rocky vs Apollo Creed kind of way, and that Cherry's a good enough actress that she'd see that angle too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Good lord that NWA/WCW line-up, though. Brad Armstrong AND Tom Zenk?! What STAR POWER!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

precision posted:

Hey they got Sting!... :smith:

And Flyin' Bryan! :(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlipkPIe posted:

I hope not -- part of why this show was so good was how brisk the episodes were

I could see them being more lenient on the time, or just upping the order to 13-14 if it gets renewed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Not wearing makeup in front of lights required for filming will make you look like a zombie.

You will also be reflecting those lights like a disco ball after about 3 minutes. That poo poo gets loving HOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, the two most immature characters are the obvious ones: Melrose and Justine. Justine because she's literally a teenager whose biggest concerns are abandonment issues and being worried she'll choke while giving a blowjob and Melrose because she's a loving trainwreck of arrested development issues.

• Locked thread