Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gaz-L posted:

Britney Young just radiates likeable and sweet. I'm actually a little sad for her, because I can't imagine her ever getting a role where she's an rear end in a top hat.

She's this show's Crazy Eyes, for sure. I mean, purely in the sense that she'd be a write-off caricature in almost any other story, but here she's imbued with real pathos and humanity. Her character is gay, right? Based on the leg-shaving scene. Her friendship with Bash is probably about that...I don't know that he's explicitly gay, but it's a definite subtext and maybe they see similar tensions in each other.

It's pretty clear how much this show inherited from Orange is the New Black. Ruth and Debbie are definitely the white, middle-class Piper and Alex analogs that soft-sell you into the setting, before it branches out into the experiences of Cherry or Carmen or Sheila, etc. Only I'm interested in Ruth and Debbie. Show is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Phenotype posted:

I dunno why they didn't just make it a straight-up comedy.

I understand your argument, but given the showrunners' background (writing for Nurse Jackie and Orange is the New Black), I'm not surprised by what this show actually is.

Debbie pretty much lays out the thesis of the series. "At first I thought this was silly, but I really like the feeling of using my body for myself and nobody else." The women's wrestling is part of a broader feminist argument: that this trashy, exploitation platform is actually a source of real catharsis and actualization for these women. Ruth embracing Zoya is really about Ruth accepting that she can't control other's perception of her. Debbie's is rejecting a power structure that demands she be passively feminine. Generally speaking, everyone's plot is some variation of how G.L.O.W. empowers them to embrace an identity that mainstream society judges or rejects or misunderstands.

It's also why there's an abortion plot, a divorce plot, and what's essentially a trans coming-out plot (Sheila's otherkin story.) The show's about feminism in the 80's...the wrestling is set dressing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

precision posted:

I agree but I would add that the show is also often about the 80s themselves, mostly for humor but also for capturing a certain innocence about sleaze and excess.

It's also got a lot of "working class hero" in the vein of Rocky and Creed.

Also true. The first point definitely lands with Bash...what an endearing coke-fueled idiot.

• Locked thread