Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
First-time eligibles in 2018:

Martin Brodeur, Martin St. Louis, Sergei Gonchar, Kimmo Timonen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

please, Ray, please

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
If Yakupov would take a cheap "show me" contract I'd love for Washington to take a flyer on him. Be this seasons Brett Connolly.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He should join a really poo poo team imo and get some PP time maybe and see what happens, try and carve a little Gagner niche and go from there

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

corn on the cop posted:

brodeur seems like the only lock there to me. not sure if msl is first ballot, not sure if the others ever make it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sullivan would either scream at Yakpuov til he hosed back to Russia or he'd mold him into another irritating fast Penguin.

Yak should definitely sign for either an ultra poo poo team where he gets lot of ice like the Devils or go to someone really good who can deploy him properly and build his value that way.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Gonchar had a very quietly underrated career (811 points, one Cup, four top-5 Norris finishes) but he shouldn't sniff it before Zubov.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Ginette Reno posted:

Sullivan would either scream at Yakpuov til he hosed back to Russia or he'd mold him into another irritating fast Penguin.

Yak should definitely sign for either an ultra poo poo team where he gets lot of ice like the Devils or go to someone really good who can deploy him properly and build his value that way.

Agreed.

I'll take a cheap Yak on the 4th line of the Penguins

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
If they're going to keep inducting 3-4 guys a year then we're going to see some weiiiiiiird guys get in. There aren't a lot of near retirement guys on the horizon who would be likely candidates.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Gonchar is not a hall of famer but much respect for both his on-ice contributions to the Penguins and also for helping Malkin adjust to America. That got lost among all the "lol Sid and Mario" stuff.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Phoenix hires Todd Nelson, that seems like the perfect landing spot for Nail.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'd take a flyer on Yak on NJ.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

corn on the cop posted:

Fatso is a 1st ballot lock, MSL should get in eventually. God drat Im still mad about Jacobs

Yak should go to Vegas

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I feel like if there's any place Yak is going to get an opportunity, it's Vegas. Especially with how many defensemen they took over Forwards.

Also my hot take is that Hayley Wickenheiser deserves to have the waiting period for her induction into the HHoF waived. To women's hockey she's easily on the same level as players like Howe and Lemieux.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Hayley Wickenheiser dove in overtime so she can wait like everyone else

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yak's best chance of be an NHLer is to go back to the KHL where he will get a real opportunity to play and then try to come back after the next lockout.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
In what world is MSL not a first ballot hall of famer? He was really good for a long time, won the Hart and Pearson and Art Ross in his best year, continued to be great for a decade, won another Art Ross, and was on five year-end All-Star teams. He also won a cup at the beginning of that run and Olympic gold at the end.

He was one of the best players in the game for a long time and has all the accolades to show for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Height requirement for the HHOF, same reason Fleury won't get in

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
First ballot isnt that meaningful in hockey.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Hard to think Brodeur can get in when another three-time Cup winning goalie, Chris Osgood, isn't in already

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a false posted:

he's owned them since 1975, which is a long time, but gently caress him, he hasn't accomplished anything important as an owner. one stanley cup, fuckin bravo. i guess not allowing the team (an original six team with a built in fanbase, mind you) to fold despite toiling in mediocrity for so long is somehow a mark in his favor? gently caress him.

He's the head of the board of governors, where lockouts are seen as good things.

Yaya posted:

I feel like if there's any place Yak is going to get an opportunity, it's Vegas. Especially with how many defensemen they took over Forwards.

Also my hot take is that Hayley Wickenheiser deserves to have the waiting period for her induction into the HHoF waived. To women's hockey she's easily on the same level as players like Howe and Lemieux.

I don't think they allow that anymore after Lemieux.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

Hard to think Brodeur can get in when another three-time Cup winning goalie, Chris Osgood, isn't in already

I read this sentence like 4 times and still don't understand.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Aphrodite posted:

He's the head of the board of governors, where lockouts are seen as good things.

I don't think they allow that anymore after Lemieux.

Gretzky was inducted immediately and alone, with the rule retired for him.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just put MSL's legs in the hall. The rest if him can wait a couple ballots.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

bewbies posted:

I read this sentence like 4 times and still don't understand.

People won't appreciate how actually cool and good and not bad Osgood is unless we spend the next four pages passive-aggressively trumpeting the career of a sub-.915 goalie

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
More like Chris Osbad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

Yes, maybe, no, no

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

yellowcar posted:

Yes, maybe, no, no
Wow this I just like when I'm watching an episode of Golden Girls.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Krime posted:

Agreed.

I'll take a cheap Yak

Do no even care where. Put him on the 3rd. Whatever. 2nd PP unit sure. gently caress it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

T-Bone posted:

please, Ray, please

Agally needs his winger back

Hahaha who am i kidding bergevin will trade him :smith:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

With Yakupov, he has the skills to be at least a top 6 RW, even a 1st line RW. The problem is that he does not have the hockey IQ necessary to think the game as a top 6 RW and use his skills efficiently, which has really limited his ability as a player. But if you pair him with a center (or linemates) that can make use of his skills like McDavid then he's actually fine.

Looking at his season with St. Louis, he only had 9 points in 40 games but his problem there was that Hitchcock then Yeo didn't make use of him. 4th line minutes, limited PP usage, healthy scratch multiple times during the season. His lack of production there shouldn't be surprising. So the fact that somebody suggested he play for the Pens 4th line just makes me laugh, because I could already see PAS complaining about him not producing despite the fact he wouldn't be put in a position to succeed in that scenario.

I do think he'll be a good cheap pick-up for some team, a "reclamation" type player. The only question is whether or not the team he signs with will actually use him efficiently. Say something like sheltered middle 6 minutes and on one of the PP units. I hope they do since I still like Yakupov and want him to succeed.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Zodijackylite posted:

In what world is MSL not a first ballot hall of famer? He was really good for a long time, won the Hart and Pearson and Art Ross in his best year, continued to be great for a decade, won another Art Ross, and was on five year-end All-Star teams. He also won a cup at the beginning of that run and Olympic gold at the end.

He was one of the best players in the game for a long time and has all the accolades to show for it.

listen i love msl and i think he should be a hall of famer easily because of how dominant he was when he finally established himself (which took a while compared to a lot of other players) but 1033 total points and only 391 goals doesn't stack up favorably to a lot of guys who never made it and probably never will. when you adjust for era it looks better, but still not what i'd consider first ballot numbers or accolades. although, as someone mentioned before, first ballot isn't that big of a deal in the nhl when compared with, say, mlb.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Kilza posted:

With Yakupov, he has the skills to be at least a top 6 RW, even a 1st line RW. The problem is that he does not have the hockey IQ necessary to think the game as a top 6 RW and use his skills efficiently, which has really limited his ability as a player. But if you pair him with a center (or linemates) that can make use of his skills like McDavid then he's actually fine.

Looking at his season with St. Louis, he only had 9 points in 40 games but his problem there was that Hitchcock then Yeo didn't make use of him. 4th line minutes, limited PP usage, healthy scratch multiple times during the season. His lack of production there shouldn't be surprising. So the fact that somebody suggested he play for the Pens 4th line just makes me laugh, because I could already see PAS complaining about him not producing despite the fact he wouldn't be put in a position to succeed in that scenario.

I do think he'll be a good cheap pick-up for some team, a "reclamation" type player. The only question is whether or not the team he signs with will actually use him efficiently. Say something like sheltered middle 6 minutes and on one of the PP units. I hope they do since I still like Yakupov and want him to succeed.

Yeah if Yak were to come to the Pens I think maybe we'd see him on the 3L with Bonino (if he gets re-signed). Bonino has pretty good hockey IQ and seems to be decent at setting up meatheads (see: Carl Hagelin), so maybe Yak would be a good fit there? And then depending on how the top 2 lines are playing I could totally see him slotting in with Malkin or Crosby opportunistically.

But yeah, sounds like Yak would probably be better off signing a "show me" deal with a team that's got enough offensive depth that they can use Yak effectively without really expecting much in terms of production. Pens and Caps are the first teams that come to my mind, but I'm sure there are others that would make sense. Not so sure about NJD...

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Pens just traded for Ryan Reaves to be their 4th line winger, I doubt they're bringing in Yakupov.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

burmistrov is a free agent too now. i'd rather have him over cousins or richardson but whatever. he looked revitalized in the 30 games or so we had him.

also the coyotes have 2 right handed skaters on the roster now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mike_V posted:

The Pens just traded for Ryan Reaves to be their 4th line winger, I doubt they're bringing in Yakupov.

they can make "the fifth line" a thing in pittsburgh too

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

But yeah, sounds like Yak would probably be better off signing a "show me" deal with a team that's got enough offensive depth that they can use Yak effectively without really expecting much in terms of production. Pens and Caps are the first teams that come to my mind, but I'm sure there are others that would make sense. Not so sure about NJD...

That was St. Louis though and it went horribly. I mean they didn't use him well but I think he needs opportunity more than protection. Both would be optimal but not sure if he can get that.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I could see him with the Devils, but I suppose I'm not really sure there's room. As of now, the Devils have these forwards signed (or RFA's who they will sign) and likely to play (obviously they're going to make additions):

Hall
Henrique
Zajac
Palmieri
Cammalleri
Smith-Pelley
Zacha
Noesen
Wood

I would imagine Hischier is expected to make the team out of camp and will get a healthy role with the team immediately. Then there's guys like McLeod, Bastian, Blandisi, Lappin, Pietela, etc. who will get strong looks in camp to play every day. So it will probably be something like this:

Hall-Hischier-Henrique
Palmieri-Zajac-Cammalleri
Wood-Zacha-UFA/McLeod/young dude
SmithPelley-UFA-Noesen

Maybe you try Yakupov with Palms/Zajac on the second line and see if he sticks? The problem is that he's trash defensively so he's either making your top six or getting healthy scratched.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

No way Trotz would want Yakupov. He's very much an old school coach who just happens to have a very good roster that he can't screw up too much.

Yak would be a healthy scratch in favor of Tom Wilson and some AHL scrub in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Mike_V posted:

I am still dumb enough to have faith in NHL coaches and would not be surprised if Reaves winds up healthy scratched for long stretches in favor of Sullivan's favorite WBS plugs

T-Bone posted:

That was St. Louis though and it went horribly. I mean they didn't use him well but I think he needs opportunity more than protection. Both would be optimal but not sure if he can get that.

Eh I don't really think of STL as having a lot of offensive depth. I think he needs more opportunity than he got in STL for sure, but also more protection than he got in EDM (i.e. a lovely team that couldn't afford to have highly touted prospects fail to produce). I feel like NJD is probably closer to EDM than would be good for Yak, but I'm also kind of talking out of my rear end so

• Locked thread