Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Can Reaves skate fast or at least... semi-fast?

I seem to recall this wasn't the case though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Thornton and Marleau will sign with the Pens to form their next cup winning 3rd line.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
If Hemsky's groin and hip don't keep exploding again he might be good fpr 30-40 pts like he was before last season, for 1mil not bad.

Radu will be bought out at some point though and make glorious return to KHL.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
So who on earth is supposed to play 1C and 2C for the Canadiens?!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

MononcQc posted:

There may be some Shaw at C here and there. It's not significantly different than last season, although there's a defintive improvement in Steve Ott no longer being there.

There used to be Desharnais and Eller to take some middling roles, Danault is doing alright (although not 1C alright). Then the rest is a never-ending rotation of AHLers whenever there are injuries.

Depth at wing is ok, goalie is *super* ok, defense is better than mediocre as long as Weber continues to be a monster (and unless Alzner turns out to be a fart) but that center depth will make poo poo difficult.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

MononcQc posted:

Montreal has been after a good 1C as long as I can remember, and have never managed to get any. The most significant ones they've had in recent memory were: Desharnais, Plekanek, Scott Gomez, Saku Koivu, and pre-coke Mike Ribeiro. You had some they were hopeful for like Higgins and so on, but by then I don't think I can actually remember watching Hockey enough to find anyone.

*raises from grave*

Hey I remember when they had Pierre Turgeon, Vincent Damphousse and Saku motherfucking Koivu at the same time \,,/ :headbang:

That was, uhh, yes, a while ago...

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Eric the Mauve posted:

There probably is a correlation between that and their being one of the youngest teams in the league

Was about the say just that, they are still very young and bouncy and elastic and probably coached better in the physical department than any other previous generation of young players so unless for lovely luck of poo poo (like McDavid had) it is reasonable to figure they are not going to lose devastating man games to injury the next season either. At least their group has not developed any sort of pattern for that even in juniors AFAIK.

Of course now that I wrote that, Matthews and Marner will get dropped during the first dozen games.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Juice is going to score between 35-50 points for the Oilers if not injured.

I mean further, his knees are always hosed up.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Also isn't RNG the suck at the faceoff circle despite playing center, so Jokinen can do draws if on the same line.

Anyway good übercheap signing, Juice can play any role from 4th line center to 1st like LW and won't complain.

Juice is actually a close relative to my girlfriend so I'm more interested than usual about this move :haw:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Kostitsyn abandonne

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Oh yeah, locked up a forward at least which was traditionally considered hitting his prime (26-27 years old) who can play 1st line minutes and has averaged 57pts/82games over the past four seasons.

(ahahahaha buyout bait in three years)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I remember back in the day when d-men were considered late in maturing but in the span of half a decade it feels like awesome forwards are awesome when 20-21 and defenders only a year or two later.

Also sophomore slump used to be a regular thing.

e:really like the Canes D, a 1C and they could be a bitch to play against

Ligur fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 12, 2017

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I had no idea there were players named Slavin OR Pesce in the NHL. The Canes really fly under the radar huh.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
At least the Avalanche can look up for the next season to, wait-

THAT ROSTER :stare:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Jagr could like, Matt Cullen, but just on the wing!

ninjaedit: ok perhaps not

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I wonder how much cash Campbell gets from his front office, marketing job. I'm sure there would have been plenty of teams who would have been happy to pay 2m or more for his services as a fourth D or whatever.

That said I understand multimillionaires might not be that interested in competing for a roster spot or go through the grueling season at 38-39 years of age.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
hay guyz how is the Leafs defence?

like for real though, they have this uhhh rielly who is apparently good?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
He can still be traded next year (it's obviously not in the immediate plans but anyway) for some kick rear end assets if his level of play keeps up.

A bunch of contending teams would be happy swapping him for picks & prospects at that contract so aftet Holland is replaced this signing can offer value.

Also why the gently caress did Trevor Daley sign there or is he in decline.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 22, 2017

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Good news for Edmonton fans, I chatted hockey with Jussi Jokinen today during a family gathering and the knee injury that bothered him all of last season was succesfully treated in May. So he had an injury free off-season for once in every regard and it's been great, look for him to have an extra step compared to his last campaign...

(That said, it feels all vets who have accumulated a dozen or two lingering injuries always say off-season has been great and they are 100% again and so on and thus forth.)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Are there underlying magic fansy and stat stuff I don't know about Arvidsson or doesn't it sound risky to sing a 24 year old who jumps from 16 points to 61 until he is 31

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Benson Cunningham posted:

Entry level contracts are dirt cheap too. In the modern era, I wonder if a team can even make a SCF run without the benefit of 2-5 rookies carrying the load.

The Sharks did it in 2016 with a mostly veteran lineup, full of hockey middle-agers and/or soon to be pensioners. Donskoi and Hertl were the two kids who provided a bit of backup in the playoffs but most of the offense came from far older skaters.

So it's possible!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
This is the dog days NHL post-season of being bored to death zombie carcass, so let's compare the teams that made it to SCF vis a vis veterans and young RFA's and players with entry level contracts after 2010.

Kings and Sharks for example had pretty veteran squads iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
In other views, I wonder how Shipachyov and Dadonov will really do in the NHL. Their deals are not insignificant in terms of money and cap hit, and quite a lot of people have them marked as first liners, and somehow I have the feeling they might not live up to the standards Radulov managed.

e: or Panarin

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread