Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nature6pk posted:

Anyone that wouldn't take McDavid for 4 1sts should have their SAS posting credentials revoked, no matter how well they skate backwards.

But one of those firsts could turn into a player like McDavid!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Penguins trade was bad but he didn't really get traded for a first rounder in the normal sense. He got traded for Sundqvist and the Pens had to drop 20 spots in a draft where they were going off the board anyway to make up the difference in value.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They didn't trade a future skilled player. This trade is bad because Reaves is a negative player. That's it. Sundquist is not a potential skilled NHLer and the guy they were going to pick at 31 wasn't any more likely to be a skilled NHLer than the guy they picked at 51. (there's a good chance it was the same guy being picked either way, team draft boards are weird like that sometimes).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Conversely, Cam Neely is a butt.

Andreychuk annoys me for coming back after the lockout instead of retiring after captaining Tampa to the cup. Did playing 1600 games really matter that much Dave?

Eh if someone was willing to pay him to play hockey I am not gonna begrudge the guy coming back. Hockey is great! Nobody should retire until they are truly unable to play for medical reasons or because they can't find a contract.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Would this be the same all star team that Alex Ovechkin was on twice in one season

He was both the best left and right winger that year what can you say.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Since both are meaningless it doesn't matter, that won't be necessary.

I mean, I agree Neely was a fair bit better, I just think using any iteration of all star appearances is the dumbest way possible to prove it.

Yeah awards are dumb we should just rely on our memories to determine who was the best.

Nolan Yonkman was the best defenseman to ever wear a Habs uni. I base this largely on his sweet name.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lehtonen had the cleanest exit from a butterfly I'd ever seen when he first joined the league. I thought for sure he'd end up being very good. Sucks he couldn't do anythat else.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Girardi thing is worrying to me because he's the type of garbage player Boston every team's management loves to sign

Fixed it for you

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yak's best chance of be an NHLer is to go back to the KHL where he will get a real opportunity to play and then try to come back after the next lockout.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kilza posted:

I do think he'll be a good cheap pick-up for some team, a "reclamation" type player. The only question is whether or not the team he signs with will actually use him efficiently. Say something like sheltered middle 6 minutes and on one of the PP units. I hope they do since I still like Yakupov and want him to succeed.
Signing a guy who has never really produced at the NHL level as a reclamation project is basically guaranteeing he won't get the type of minutes he needs to succeed.

I really do think he needs to go over the Europe and play for a few years getting the quality minutes he needs to really develop his game.

This is exactly what Dadonov did and if he comes over to NA, it will be as a top 6 player. That wasn't ever going to happen if he stuck it out in NA, he just wasn't going to get the opportunities to develop and showcase his game over here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

That's a pretty good deal for Dallas. Why the 2020 2nds? Is it supposed to be a really strong draft class or something?

McGuire won't shut up about how good the 2019 and 2020 draft classes are supposed to be.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bewbies posted:

Yakupov is crazy fast and quick and has good hands and a great shot and he tries so drat hard and is just really, really bad at hockey despite all of this.

I was a huge cheerleader for him when he got to the Blues and it took a while for me to admit that he just isn't an NHL player. It had nothing to do with Hitchcock or Yeo or forward depth or the position of the moon or the outcome of WWII, he just isn't very good.

All the skill in the world and no hockey IQ.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
McGuire was on Ottawa radio today saying that Karl Alzner is a good top 4 guy and Shattenkiro is a 5/6.

I think it's terrible we will never see him as the GM of a team.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crosby's deal was for 12 years, and it was expected that his cap hit as a percentage of the salary cap would go down significantly over time.

That shouldn't be overlooked - the same cap hit on an 8 year deal is worse than what Crosby or OV signed.

tofes posted:

Is Kovy any good still anyway?

Maybe, probably? He was healthy scratched in the KHL playoffs last year, but he bounced back to a big degree this year (though he didn't score in the playoffs this year either).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Assuming 2.5 mill cap increase every year, I think after 8 years from now, 13 million would still be in the neighborhood of 14% of the cap.

crosby's hit after 8 years from the start of his contract is going to be like 10.5%. Does 3.5% additional cap hit even enter into a GM's thought process when talking about a generational talent? It's a lot of money but I really don't know how a GM would approach that. I'd probably just throw money at the guy, which might be why I ain't a GM though.

McDavid will be what, 28? in 8 years, so he could reasonably expect a raise, assuming he actualy is a generational talent and doesnt start leaking brain fluid regularly.

No one check my math.

I think it probably should. Play hardball with McDavid here probably isn't going to poison the well. He has five more season in Edmonton before he hits UFA, and if he's signing a max deal anyway it's not like you're getting some great deal by locking him up. It's honestly not about just about the dollars, it's about locking him up for as long as you can. Being able to only buy four years of UFA when you're paying max money is really questionable.

There's always a risk that he just decides not sign with you beyond his four mandated years when his ELC ends, but I really think that's a risk the GM should take.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Duchene looked like a world beater when he was scoring 70 points ... four years ago. The three season since then have kind of taken the shine off for the Avs. 41 points this season. Trading him actually makes a lot of sense in that his rep is probably better than he is and the return could be very legit. He's got two seasons left on this deal and even if he turns it around, it probably won't happen in Colorado.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Jake and sheary are like 1.5 million combined against the cap next year, I think? It's hard to trade that level of cheap production away, unless you know you have something else coming up to replace it.

Jake is about 735k but Sheary is an RFA. It'll be really interesting to see his new contract. He's only 2 years from being a UFA.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Krime posted:

So... how many games is Cam Ward going to start?

The answer is too many.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ennis healthy is not much of a drop from Pomminville at this point, and he's 7 years younger. Too bad he's never healthy.

This saves Minnesota 5M minus whatever Foligno signs for.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think buying out a guy who scored 9 points in 53 games implies a tank.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chad Sexington posted:

But booting the guy who scored 31 in 61 is. Poor Cory is never going to do anything with his career.

Eh, 31 in 61 is not exactly impressive, especially for 5 million.

I think the Devils are hoping Hischier is an impact player year one. Zajac, Hall, Palmieri, Henrique, Zacha and Hischier could be actually good ok if the latter two are able to play at a top 6 level this year.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 30, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

that seems pretty good

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They're both pretty mediocre.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

are you getting michael stone and mark stone mixed up

Michael Stone is a fine 4/5 and we live in a world where this

is a thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hifi posted:

I think burmistrov would be a good pickup for any team for 3-4MM but the canucks are a strange destination because they're reasonably deep at center. sedin/horvat/sutter/granlund maybe? burmistrov's better than sutter and worse than horvat, but the canucks are stuck with everyone except whoever is on the 4th line. from a on-ice perspective, burmistrov might be the best shot at putting up a h. sedin impression on the second powerplay though

Burmistrov was a waiver pickup 6 months ago. Why in Gods name would anyone pay 3M for him. Because he had an ok 25 games with the Coyotes? That would be a terrible signing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:stare:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

Eastside Hockey Manager is on sale for $5 CAD on steam. Worth it?

Far and away the best fantasy GM hockey game around. If that's what you're looking for, yes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

Or maybe he'd rather do dad stuff instead of hockey stuff

He should do something that involves exercise. He's gonna get Ray Bourque big.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i.e. Lockout proof

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's a bad deal for Marleau in isolation but for where the Leafs are it's probably fine. He's not what he was, but he's still an effective middle 6 player and even at 38 or 39 I don't see that changing. Alfy was fine in Detroit. It gives the Leafs a legit offensive player to play with the kids, and they needed that.

Koopa Kid posted:

Marleau's gonna be old and busted as gently caress when that contract is up but the Leafs have cap space like crazy in the future and people are overestimating what the big three are gonna cost imo.

If they want to sign them long term, 25M is probably the floor for the three of them. Matthews and Marner have two more years to show how much they're worth. Coming out of the ELC they are gonna get paid.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Koopa Kid posted:

There's still lots of RFA years too, I agree with your long-term estimate but I can see a bridge deal or two potentially, especially if anyone has a rough year or injuries happen.

Plus I think they can absorb $25M over the next three seasons just fine, the only other major player coming up for a contract is Gardiner and there's over $40M in space opening up.

Yeah I think Nylander is gonna get a bridge deal. Not so sure about Matthews and Marner though. I could see them taking 9x8 or something if the Leafs go in that direction. So 25 is probably high in year 3. I'm crazy high on Marner though. He's gonna win an Art Ross when McDavid has an off year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How much salary did they retain?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the talent deficit posted:

i dunno, i don't think any nhl team is so bad mcdavid couldn't get them in the playoffs. maaaaybe colorado

Gretzky scored 130 pts in 94 and won the Art Ross and the Kings still missed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Advanced stats

(They looked to see who would help most with the tank)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

he's also skating against other prospects so my perception of how good he is is probably skewed.

This is the #1 thing to keep in mind with prospect camps. Some of these guys are worse than div 1 beer leaguers, they're just young enough that they might eventually be better.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/adagamov/status/883913708988231680

The body of one of the greatest hockey players of all time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That's a decent contract.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zodijackylite posted:

That's a good and reasonable contract. Takes him to UFA, at age 27, too.

Yeah that part isn't great but I'm sure it's why he probably took a bit less than he might have.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Just because you have enough cash now to pay for a $20,000 Bulgari watch doesn't mean it's a sensible financial decision when you're thinking about buying a house in the next couple years

This is loserthink. Winners buy that watch because they know they're winners and the winning will never stop.

Even if they've never won before. Winning attitudes are created from pure will and hard work not bullshit like stats and cap management.

All I do is win win win no matter what
Got Stanley Cups on my mind I can never get enough
And every time I step up in the AC Centre
Everybody hands go up
And they stay there
And they say yeah

Etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twin Cinema posted:

I just spent my day off reading Patrick O'Sullivan's book, and my god, I didn't realize the extent of the horrors that he had to live through. His father was an absolute madman and controlled every aspect of his life. He was pretty much forced to train and play hockey 24/7 from a young age. The book feels like a gut punch at the end when Pat goes back to all his former coaches to ask them why they didn't do anything.

None of the NHL teams he went to offered a psychologist. He only has awful words for Marc Crawford, and apparently he was Crawford's whipping boy for his entire rookie season. He took a puck to the face and broke his jaw, and when he showed up to the next practice with one of those guards to protect him from further injury, Crawford pretty much called him a pussy and demanded the trainers take it off. Crawford also made him bag skate by himself for 20 minutes while all his teammates watched.

His time in Edmonton sounds largely disorganized, mostly because, in his words, they trade using him as a 3rd-liner, and that wasn't his game at all. Judging based on his words, he washed out of the NHL quickly because of a combination of poor management and his PTSD (that was only diagnosed after he left hockey).

Marc Crawford, piece of poo poo? Why, I never would have guessed.

• Locked thread