Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kilza posted:

Things I want to happen this off-season:
1) McDavid and Draisaitl get signed to under $20 mil combined

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Phoenix hires Todd Nelson, that seems like the perfect landing spot for Nail.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

This type of attitude leads to RNH third line grinder

Hi Kelly Hrudey!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

RNH would still be a top 6 pick if that draft was held again today. Gaudreau and Kucherov would be 1-2, Scheifele/Hamilton/RNH/Klefbom in some combination behind them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Can we get back to your other dumb opinion though that you share with Kelly Hrudey? Cause that's what's actually important.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He put up points under Todd Nelson as well with Derek Roy of all people centering him, which is why I think Phoenix would make sense for him should Nelson land there as coach.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I would like the Oilers to sign a Sam Gagner.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/879768177395290114

Chiarelli, after the Oilers get eliminated: Our defense isn't good enough to make it to the conference finals
Also Chiarelli: *doesn't improve the defense that he said wasn't good enough*

Gryba as a 6/7 d at that money is fine. There's no one else on the right side in the minors that's ready and if Bear or Mantha somehow prove they can play next year, you can bury that contract or trade it very easily.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/879835652644192256

So Chiarelli's only move thus far has been trading Eberle for Strome, which is a downgrade in RW. Otherwise he's going to go into the season with almost the exact same roster as last year and approximately $9 mil in cap space after Draisaitl signs his new contract. Sekera is still hurt, there's no replacement for him other than going "okay just let Nurse/Benning play on the 2nd pair and hope for the best". The Oilers lack of scoring depth still hasn't been addressed, in fact it's been hurt by trading Eberle for a lesser player. And rather than using any cap space they're just going to let it go to waste, even though this is the last year of McDavid's ELC and they could easily fit in a couple of pieces on one year deals. Not to mention that last year was a case of everything that could have gone right did (right up until the Ducks series), and you're literally banking on that happening yet again.

This is going to end in one of two ways. The Oilers stay healthy, McDavid has the greatest season ever and they win the Stanley Cup, or they miss the playoffs. No matter what happens, fire Chiarelli.

The Oilers have about 4 million in cap room because of bonuses and will probably bring back Pitlick at around 1 million.

They only can really sign anyone significant if they are able to dump Pouliot or Fayne with money kept or buy one out which makes the cap hits coming that much tougher to deal with.

Edit: And the potential bonuses actually just about completely eat up the available cap space if they are all reached, which pretty much signals that they expect Puljajarvi on the team next year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 28, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hey it's only 1.75 million and 2 years too long!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya I'm sure the Avs are going to trade him for a pick and Olli Maata when they turned down Hamonic and a first.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Krime posted:

They are going to want Sprong + and thats a non starter for me.

Hahaha what the heck.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

He hasn't been a 70 point center for 3 years. Currently he is a 41 point center that, if I am not mistaking, has requested to be traded. To be honest I don't think it will happen, but it isn't like they would be trading pocket lint for him. A legitimate prospect, a first rounder, and a young DMan that underperformed last year but has big upside for a young center that under performed last year isn't as lopsided as you make it seem.

An overpaid dman, a prospect and the 30th pick isn't actually very much for a first line player but you do you man.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/880423426288230400

:psyboom:

What the gently caress? What was that Isles offer again....?

They have two RD making a lot of money. They're probably looking for LD.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

They have two defencemen under contract at the moment. I don't think they can be picky about handedness. It's not like they're going to be a hot stop for free agents.

I don't disagree but paying 16 million for one side of your defense and needing to fill the other half through free agency is an awful idea.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I agree but nothing points to the Avs wanting to do a total tear down.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Excited to have an uneccessary cap hit when the team is in cap hell!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers don't actually have a cap problem this year though. They should have waited another year to do this, unless they suddenly need the money now.

So who are the Oilers about to overpay on July 1st?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya it really doesn't make sense unless they're about to pay someone 5 million a year.

Maybe Marleau or Thornton? I'm really confused.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kilza posted:

Nope, seems like their plan is to do nothing with the added cap space right now.
https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer/status/880464806649581568

Which makes this buyout more dumb.

But they already had like 4 million including if all the bonuses were reached. Not to mention whatever relief they're going to get with Sekera out 'til January.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They don't have aot of depth in the right side of their defense, and again they already had about 4 million in cap space factoring in max bonuses and Draisaitl getting around 8 million.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Bonuses come off the following year's cap so that's not an issue for 2017-18. The Oilers actually have a bunch more cap space than I thought with $18M left and only Drai left to sign. Assuming he gets $8Mish they're in good shape. That's kind of an odd decision, but I guess this is a wait and see/opening up a slot for a rookie thing? Maybe Chia has a big UFA contract lined up. That seems silly considering they'll be in cap hell next season.

Ya it's loving weird.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

a false posted:

seems beneficial for both sides, pominville is basically a salary dump at this point right?

He doesn't make much more than Ennis for the same term and is way way better.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

a false posted:

huh, i feel like i remember people talking about minnesota potentially burying him in the minors

There was talk of exposing him in the expansion draft. You can't bury cap hits in the minors anymore.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

What the gently caress are the Panthers doing. Quite the turnaround from last year.

Seems like theyre cutting salary.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well he played for the Canucks and now the Flames so it's pretty easy actually.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

Is it possible Eakins just had his brain temporarily broken by being in Edmonton? Wasn't he highly touted as being good with the youngs when he was still with the Marlies? Maybe another chance is in order...

Oh, right, the swarm. Nvm

He was so loving bad but he also pissed all the old man poo poo reporters when he took their donuts away so

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Too bad they have no picks or forward prospects or more than 6 forwards.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I would rather pay Brian Elliot 2.5 and dump 8 into a top tier defenseman any day of the week.

Ya that sure worked well for the Flames.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well I'm glad the oilers didn't spend that much on Marleau.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I really hope they make Marleau the captain.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok now Leon sign 8x8

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Krime posted:

How much of Washington's cap is tied up in

Ovechkin
Kuznetsov
Holtby

And Orpik

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's still a pretty good possession guy but he doesn't score much anymore and I'd rather give Jagr 1/5 than Marleau that contract

Marleau can play all 3 forward position and kill penalties. The cap isn't a problem except in the third year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

the only other major player coming up for a contract is Gardiner and there's over $40M in space opening up.

JVR

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

Nah this deal puts the Leafs over the cap so a salary dump transaction will take place between now and preseason most likely.

LTIR

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Leafs can play roster shenanigans for a day to make it work.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

Hello I find it hilarious that Ale$ Hem$ky is a Hab now.

Ales Hemsky loving rules buzz

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya, it'll be tough to go through the grueling gauntlet that led Ottawa to the Conference Finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I dunno, duplicating what Ottawa did seems improbable if not impossible.

• Locked thread