Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

P-Mack posted:

yeah and I love it

it's like final fantasy is your one of your favorite bands and then saga is the guitarist's experimental side project that rocks even harder except sometimes there's a baffling 20 minute bass solo then three tracks of ambient noise

The Saga games for the Gameboy were the best rpgs made for the system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

the new SaGa game for Vita feels like a version of Unlimited Saga made for human beings

oh sht i didnt realize its out, how is it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Japanese only forever

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Japanese only forever

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fungah! posted:

it's out in Japan, Kawazu keeps saying it'll come out in English but I don't believe him

it's more like a gamebook with SaGa battles than a traditional JRPG, it almost reminds me of King of Dragon Pass or something. there's no real overworld exploration, no dungeons, towns, etc, and everything outside of battle is 2D portraits talking to each other or menu/map screens. you do a quiz to pick your character which puts you on one scenario path but you can start branching off into sidequests and other poo poo almost immediately, it has the quasi-procedural thing going on but it's much easier to figure out how/why specific events work because so much of the usual bullshit just isn't there

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

it's out in Japan, Kawazu keeps saying it'll come out in English but I don't believe him

it's more like a gamebook with SaGa battles than a traditional JRPG, it almost reminds me of King of Dragon Pass or something. there's no real overworld exploration, no dungeons, towns, etc, and everything outside of battle is 2D portraits talking to each other or menu/map screens. you do a quiz to pick your character which puts you on one scenario path but you can start branching off into sidequests and other poo poo almost immediately, it has the quasi-procedural thing going on but it's much easier to figure out how/why specific events work because so much of the usual bullshit just isn't there

That sounds kinda cool tbh

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

I pre ordered unlimited saga cuz saga frontier was the best game ever. I returned it the next day

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Five in Russia posted:

I pre ordered unlimited saga cuz saga frontier was the best game ever. I returned it the next day

human being!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
when i got it at gaemstop they handed me a free prima miniguide to go with it and it was pretty much the manual square forgot to write

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pablo Gigante posted:

That sounds kinda cool tbh

yeah, it's a format that works for SaGa but would suck for most any other JRPG

at the same time, you can tell they made it this way because they had no money to make a "real" game, it looks really cheap and has all the usual Unity problems (long load times, frequent stuttering in battle, etc)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

The Saga games for the Gameboy were the best rpgs made for the system

I put enough hours into the second one as a kid that it's probably still my #1 most played game.

Contrary to what the manual says, a 4 robot playthrough is actually really easy until the last boss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training going to finish DMC and then after that try and beat MGS1 in one sitting

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

The not so calm freakout

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

instead of beating the game i couldnt finish one level. but im still just gonna play MGS later to cool off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im going to try and play MGS1 in one sitting now....idk if ill make it though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually this thing cant stream PS1 games....i need more converter boxes or some poo poo. OOps.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I started playing Shadow Hearts and it's weird but cool. Everything is a timed press and the main character is a pervert

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGS2 is so sick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i just played mgs2 for 5 hours straight and theres quite a few clips I want to find but thats a huge video. specifically:

- finding out you can close doors by going into cover onto the proper hinge side
- watching the ice cubes melt in real time
- my strut F gameplay
- seeing if the vents i was crawling through were as dark as i was seeing

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the mgs2 ice cube technology..

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Tanker is so dope. Just the fact that you could get a cold from staying in the rain for too long or get buff by doing pullups.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

I started playing Shadow Hearts and it's weird but cool. Everything is a timed press and the main character is a pervert
It's very good and has an A+ NPC game. Talk to everyone you find.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Tanker is so dope. Just the fact that you could get a cold from staying in the rain for too long or get buff by doing pullups.

I spent so much time playing the demo that came with Zone of the Enders but I never actually got MGS2 lol

Zone of the Enders was so good though.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i played zoe for the first time last year and its still good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

i played zoe for the first time last year and its still good

i should check these out

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive only played nd loved 1 but 2's apparently 100x better. its on my list

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Never played 1 but 2 is so drat good. It's pretty difficult but by the time you're good you basically run on reflex actions. They had HD rereleases, too.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Never played 1 but 2 is so drat good. It's pretty difficult but by the time you're good you basically run on reflex actions. They had HD rereleases, too.

Uh... play 1 dude

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

anyone want to mail me copies for free

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHJbE_kfybs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This game is loving awesome. The only thing I dont fully get is how to gaurantee atma, unless thats something that gets expanded later, im only like 90 minutes in.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Ok. I need to play this now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm sold. That's epic

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

Oh that's a good call, I've never played any but they seem cool. Any recommendations for the best one, PS1 or 2?

OK here's the rundown on the PS1 and 2 armored cores (ie the good ones, the 360/ps3 ones are completely different games)

PS1
AC1 - still pretty good, no arena though
AC: project phantasma - short, debut of arena fights - not really worth playing on its own
AC: master of arena - short campaign, absolutely loving insane number of arena fights - a whole goddamn disc of them

PS2
the story and world of these is independent from AC1 vvvvv
AC2 - one of the best in the series, probably the last really easily approachable one before they start adding more and more (awesome) poo poo to the series
AC2: Another Age - the expansion for AC2, can be played standalone but probably better if you import a save. only missions but it has like 100 of them so if you like accomplishing various tasks using your custom roboparts get on this poo poo

The story and world of these is independent from AC1&2 vvvvvv
AC3 - the first game with mission rankings. harder than 2, adds the heat system to the game which adds complexity, you can finally use an analog stick! but only one :negative:
AC3: Silent Line - been ages since I've played this but it was the first game I ever 100%d and the only game I've ever bother to get all s-ranks in so I guess it's loving sweet? not sure how fun it would be if you don't start from an AC3 save though

AC: Nexus - dual analog controls! heat is absolutely nuts now and will dominate other considerations in designing your AC. never finished this one but I really want to. maybe this will be my summer of playstation?!?!
AC: Ninebreaker - the equivalent of master of arena for nexus. really weird in a bunch of ways. pass
AC: Last Raven - the pinnacle of the series in terms of customization, one of the best looking ps2 games. HARD AS gently caress, apparently the game design debut of Hidetaka Miyazaki (dark souls, etc)

As for which to start with as a new player... I'm torn between 2 and 3. They're both awesome and have awesome expansions if you want more. 2 is somewhat more straightforward but 3 looks nicer and has even more random bits to squeeze into your AC

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
no summer of playstation is complete without smacking up little bitch MTs with your MOONLIGHT

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe ill pick up 2. Im going to finish MGS3 today, and Ive been chipping away at DDS. After MGS3 Im going to try and actually finish DMC1 but I got stuck on CHapter 17. I love the PS2

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
You might want to use a guide to pick up the hidden parts in 2, most are really out of the way or obtuse iirc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DDS1 question: I had assumed that at a certain point you would have 6 party members, since there's 6 people on the box and 6 people in your base with hair that color codes to the 6 magic types or w/e. I'm closing in on the end of the second main dungeon, do you ever actually get more party members? At a certain point I had everyone go like 1 step into the basic magic mantras because they were fast to get and I've had to cover all my bases weakness wise without being able to really specialize, I hope more party members join soon, 3 feels a little restrictive

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure your jrpg senses are correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

DDS1 question: I had assumed that at a certain point you would have 6 party members, since there's 6 people on the box and 6 people in your base with hair that color codes to the 6 magic types or w/e. I'm closing in on the end of the second main dungeon, do you ever actually get more party members? At a certain point I had everyone go like 1 step into the basic magic mantras because they were fast to get and I've had to cover all my bases weakness wise without being able to really specialize, I hope more party members join soon, 3 feels a little restrictive

There are more than 3

• Locked thread