Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Jaded Burnout posted:

Of course it's very hard to know exactly where things are manufactured, but SIP is a UK company with their main factory in Leicestershire. The whole table shipped in a few days.

I likely already have the regular hex head M8s lying around, might be very marginally more difficult to find the square head ones (for mounting the rails), but I'm OK with waiting for a bit, I'm in no rush.

I am. I need to see this house finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gasmask posted:

I am. I need to see this house finished.

Hm. If I were to put an actual time on it.. actually finished finished to my own needs and standards... 2023? That is not a joke.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hopefully these dead gay forums will still be operating then.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You should stop calling that room your kitchen and just call it the "workshop" now. It looks like you now have more workshop appliances and accessories than you do kitchen ones! :lol:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Of course it's very hard to know exactly where things are manufactured, but SIP is a UK company with their main factory in Leicestershire. The whole table shipped in a few days.

I suspect a very large amount of the machine does come from Shenzhen and is likely assembled there but that SIP deal with/spec all the packaging locally so that you get a proper manual written in real English and that they also keep a warehouse full of parts and stock in the UK and have UK based engineers so that they can warranty and support it.
I have a SIP compressor; which when I bought it looked exactly the same as the variously branded Chinese ones that I could also buy on ebay but was about £30 more and this gets you a warranty honoured by an actual UK company.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I suspect a very large amount of the machine does come from Shenzhen and is likely assembled there but that SIP deal with/spec all the packaging locally so that you get a proper manual written in real English and that they also keep a warehouse full of parts and stock in the UK and have UK based engineers so that they can warranty and support it.
I have a SIP compressor; which when I bought it looked exactly the same as the variously branded Chinese ones that I could also buy on ebay but was about £30 more and this gets you a warranty honoured by an actual UK company.

Yeah, it depends. There's definitely white labelled equipment, but it's also quite possible their more flagship items are built in-house.

Out of curiosity I've emailed their technical team to find out. Fortunately this shouldn't impact the delivery of some bolts, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SIP posted:

Thanks for your enquiry.

The 01446 Saw’s originate ultimately, from China.

They arrive to us in the same packaging that they are sent out

In. some items are subject to a PDI from ourselves, but assembly

Is ultimately carried out by the end user/customer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
So, have you thought about getting on with building your workshop in the garden, so you can move this in there and have a sawdust free, finished kitchen?

I’m in the same boat with a much less ambitious house renovation, currently ongoing on all fronts - but attempting to do things right.
Do you find that loved ones think you’re crazy for not finishing the main living spaces first?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

So, have you thought about getting on with building your workshop in the garden, so you can move this in there and have a sawdust free, finished kitchen?

I have so far mentally put a pause on everything outdoors, but I suppose I could start talking to builders. I would want to be able to move fairly quickly from breaking ground to having a weather-tight structure.

It would also require me to fully think through how I want the garden to end up, so that I can do things in a reasonably efficient way, e.g. there's no point in having several tonnes of earth dug up for foundations and removed, only to have to bring a bunch back in for landscaping.

wooger posted:

I’m in the same boat with a much less ambitious house renovation, currently ongoing on all fronts - but attempting to do things right.
Do you find that loved ones think you’re crazy for not finishing the main living spaces first?

Yes, they do like to say flippant things like "why don't you finish room X", but it's never that easy.

Earlier in the year I put in a real push to fully finish the main bedroom, and got stopped at the carpeting, because the skirting board has to go in before the carpets, and the skirting board is tied in to the rest of the house. Not literally, but stylistically and economically in terms of purchasing in bulk, temporary storage, all that.

As it stands I'm trying to wrap up projects, so getting the stairs in is high priority. Other paused projects that are taking up space include doors and cladding, but again the doors have to go in after the carpet so it's a whole thing. Maybe I should do a gantt chart. I don't super want to start new projects that will take me away from finishing open ones.

My father is keen to help me finish the cladding, though, so perhaps I should make some more concrete plans to tackle that.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its good they answered honestly and quickly. That's pretty much what I thought and i'm perfectly happy with that approach as long as the UK "reseller"/"re-brander" is gonna support and warranty it directly themselves for at least a few years and hold stock of the parts

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have so far mentally put a pause on everything outdoors, but I suppose I could start talking to builders. I would want to be able to move fairly quickly from breaking ground to having a weather-tight structure.

Yes, they do like to say flippant things like "why don't you finish room X", but it's never that easy.

It feels super good to get a room finished even if the rest of the place is still a mess. you can shut the door of the finished room and forget about it :3:

From the size of your garden the amount of soil you are likely to need for landscaping is likely to be minimal and the cost of buying some back isn't huge.

I'd be moving ahead with the workshop build and just get them to leave me one skip sized pile of soil and just buy more if i needed it when i eventually got to the garden. You might end up reassessing the garden design once you physically see it with the finished building in..

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Yes, agree. Topsoil and mulch has minimal costs compared to house related purchases, and getting all new stuff in avoids a multi year process of sifting out stones, broken glass and random junk from your existing soil.

As long as you can make a clear, solid path to the workshop and put the building in at a sensible height in relation to any planned landscaping, no reason to delay.

I have the same issue as JB with skirting boards and doing things in a sensible order at the cost of having finished flooring / my sanity.

But my issue is getting distracted by my garden whenever the weather isn’t dogshit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah, it depends. There's definitely white labelled equipment, but it's also quite possible their more flagship items are built in-house.

Out of curiosity I've emailed their technical team to find out. Fortunately this shouldn't impact the delivery of some bolts, though.

China builds to the customer's specifications, so can still be good, if that's what the seller wants. Note that, for example, most audio gear and electronics come out of China, and varies from, say, Alpine, to whatever that crap on Banggood is.

RE: finishing stuff - this is where I get stuck. To do this, I gotta do this, which means I gotta do that, which means I gotta do the other thing... Or re-do it later. I think my wife finally understands why I'm reluctant to "just fix the thing" on our (only) 55 year-old-house, when several just-fix-it projects turned into more-than-minor endeavors because it uncovered some other hosed up thing that stops the project or drags it out. And I'm the type that can't just ignore the thing revealed.

edit: the main problem is having to live in the project. If I had an apartment, travel trailer, another house...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Its good they answered honestly and quickly.

That's why I went straight to the technical line :)

Tomarse posted:

It feels super good to get a room finished even if the rest of the place is still a mess. you can shut the door of the finished room and forget about it :3:

Yep, but as mentioned not always possible.

Tomarse posted:

From the size of your garden the amount of soil you are likely to need for landscaping is likely to be minimal and the cost of buying some back isn't huge.

I'd be moving ahead with the workshop build and just get them to leave me one skip sized pile of soil and just buy more if i needed it when i eventually got to the garden. You might end up reassessing the garden design once you physically see it with the finished building in..

wooger posted:

Yes, agree. Topsoil and mulch has minimal costs compared to house related purchases, and getting all new stuff in avoids a multi year process of sifting out stones, broken glass and random junk from your existing soil.

As long as you can make a clear, solid path to the workshop and put the building in at a sensible height in relation to any planned landscaping, no reason to delay.

It's not so much the material cost of soil per se, but things like am I going to have to tear out the neighbour's fence again? Don't wanna do that twice. Don't want to have more giant trucks parked on the street than absolutely necessary. And that's just one example out of many, the point being that I would have to think everything through fully before I can make a call on whether something will or won't be a problem, and that in itself takes time and energy.

Plus, when we dug the foundations for the extension it turns out I have really nice soil here, a good mix of substrates, so I'm inclined to have them dig out new foundations and just level out the whole garden with a 6" layer.

wooger posted:

But my issue is getting distracted by my garden whenever the weather isn’t dogshit.

Well quite, exactly why I'm not dealing with it right now!

Darchangel posted:

edit: the main problem is having to live in the project. If I had an apartment, travel trailer, another house...

In many ways this is true, yes.

Darchangel posted:

China builds to the customer's specifications, so can still be good, if that's what the seller wants. Note that, for example, most audio gear and electronics come out of China, and varies from, say, Alpine, to whatever that crap on Banggood is.

Agreed, it's not a dealbreaker by any means.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe I should do a gantt chart.

I honestly and not taking the piss thought you would be the sort of person that already has one. I have an A0 whiteboard in the garage that gets pressed into service for that when I have a project on the go, like the cabin.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I honestly and not taking the piss thought you would be the sort of person that already has one. I have an A0 whiteboard in the garage that gets pressed into service for that when I have a project on the go, like the cabin.

I sort of have one in my head, and I've written several applications to help me monitor cashflow, but as yet I've not needed to do a lot of actual path-based planning since I'm doing most things solo right now, so there's little parallelisation possible in any case.

I did fill out quite a hefty chunk of an omnifocus project, but they don't support android so it became worthless when I switched from ios.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Honestly, the way you describe your project is a lot like how I describe the day to day work of living with unmedicated ADHD. A depends on B which depends on C which depends on F, and before you know it you've spent a day researching and buying just the right tool to extract frobs out of weezums, and no-one else in your life knows or cares what a frob or a weezum is.

I think a gantt chart would be really helpful, especially if it can help you work out what parts of your project you can live with being "good enough" rather than 100% perfect.

Jaded Burnout posted:

M8s lying around

you wot, M8s?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Honestly, the way you describe your project is a lot like how I describe the day to day work of living with unmedicated ADHD. A depends on B which depends on C which depends on F, and before you know it you've spent a day researching and buying just the right tool to extract frobs out of weezums, and no-one else in your life knows or cares what a frob or a weezum is.

I think a gantt chart would be really helpful, especially if it can help you work out what parts of your project you can live with being "good enough" rather than 100% perfect.

I think this is possible, I don't know. But one thing I've learned from experience is that there's usually some context you're missing, which needs ferreting out before starting, if only so you know you can dismiss it as "good enough".

To take a random example, the garden project as a whole right now is a sea of unknown. The vast majority of the details will not matter and will be dismissible, but without looking at everything there's no way to know where the land mines are. Figuratively speaking.

So, while in the past I may have embarked on something off the cuff, or hired someone and trusted their judgement, I've learned I can't do that. Recon is required.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So, where were we.

While replacement bolts etc were trickling in, I decided to continue on with the assembly.

Side table.

After snugging up the bolts it was at this point that I realised that, despite the tables having matching bolt holes on both sides, only one edge has a bevel, and I had this one backwards.

Flipped it around and started working it up to level.

This was extremely unpleasant and almost entirely redundant, because the instructions in the manual suggest a level of adjustment not available in the real world, because as the bolts tighten up they kinda choose their own level to sit at. The manual being wrong will be a recurring theme in this post.

Finally done.

New bolts arrived.

The square-head bolts for the side rails have proven to be almost impossible to get hold of. They're available from a few signage places, but at almost £1 each and a minimum purchase of 10. I need 1. No matter, onwards.

With the bolts in tow I can fit the other wing, but that would involve moving either the saw or the workbench.

The workbench is easier to move, but there's nowhere for it to go, so saw it is.

Wheel kit.

I have no idea what this piece is for. It doesn't seem to fit anything, doesn't have any fixings, and isn't listed in the manual.

First up we attach this hook thingy to the wheel bar thinger that came with the saw, because doing this after it's on the saw would be unpleasant.

Then put the thing on the thing

On the other side these things need things

I know it looks really weird like they're just sat next to it, but that's how they actually want it done.

This is in the "raised" position.

Wheel lever thing in the front.

It was really unhappy about being rotated while unbalanced, but it was fine, no drama.

Somewhere in there I realised I needed some washers. I'd already ordered some, but without double checking the OD, and they only just arrived, so I'm just going to have to send those back.

Instead I went down to screwfix and picked some up, twice as many at half the price.

So this time I kept the wing propped up the whole time, using more scraps to set the height as I went. Much easier.

Blurry.

With the wings assembled it's at this point I realised the manual was wrong again. Remember how I need 10 of those square head bolts, but they only gave me 9? Well the package from SIP hasn't arrived yet but no matter because in the real world there's only 9 bolt holes.

Listening to Bowie as the sun sets, screwin' in bolts.

Front rail slid on, and end capped.

The QA on these parts is :discourse:

I battled with this little bastard (fine adjustment knob) for over an hour and eventually gave up. There's no instructions on how it's supposed to go on, and I wasn't getting anywhere with intuition, since things just didn't line up right.

Left it at that for the night.

This morning I followed a hunch and tightened up the rails first (again the manual is wrong, saying there's room for adjustment when there isn't, and saying the target gap under the fence is 1mm when it's 2mm). After that and taking the adjuster entirely apart I was able to get everything on and behaving correctly.

Fence calibrated to the blade.

I get a pretty good fully supported 800mm cut on the right, and 680mm on the left with this thing.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 22, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This evening I fitted the riving knife, and wired on a 13A plug.

Now, this thing is rated at 3kW, and at 230V this gives a max current of 13.0434782609A, so if it really blasts the current on startup then it could pop the fuse, which is what I think happened, as when I gave it a test startup it went boop and stopped almost immediately.

It hasn't tripped any breakers, so I think the fuse in the plug went. Possibly the extension, but probably the plug.

For some reason my replacement 13A fuses have gone walkies so I can't test this, so I'll just go straight for figuring out a proper 16A solution.

All of my sockets are shaped for domestic 13A, so I'll need an adapter of sorts like I have on the jointer, except this eats more power, so I need to eradicate the extension reel I currently have in the way.

I need a legit 16A extension, not a long one, but enough to get to the middle of the space. That or I wire on a longer cable, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

So, back to poking around the screwfix catalogue and see what's available. Goal: a short-as-possible 16A path from the saw to the wall.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Good on you for keeping at the house and all the included projects, it seems like "3 steps forward, 2 steps back" at times

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Good on you for keeping at the house and all the included projects, it seems like "3 steps forward, 2 steps back" at times

It definitely is. I mean, at any point I could pay someone to give me the final product, but I'd like to build these skills myself.

As for the electrics, I've had a poke around and I'm confident that I don't know enough to be sure I'm being safe, so I'm going to do a bit more thinking and probably call my sparky.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

At least in the US for sizing circuits for machinery, take the full load amps (13) and multiple x 1.5 to get the right breaker size and wire size to account for extra startup juice, so it should probably be on a 20A fuse. No idea if that applies in UKlectrics, but it works here on both single and 3 phase 220. The manuals of course never tell you that, they always just say ‘make sure this is installed by a qualified electrician and the circuit is correctly sized for the machine etc etc ‘

I have some fun homemade adapters, but they are all to let me run a15A machine on a 30A circuit, not the other way around. It’s not ideal, but much much safer than the other way around. When in doubt, definitely call the sparky-you don’t want to fry the motor or yourself.

E: also holy poo poo that table with the wings is like 6’ long! :nice:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The manuals of course never tell you that, they always just say ‘make sure this is installed by a qualified electrician and the circuit is correctly sized for the machine etc etc ‘

The manual specifies "minimum of 16A", which lines up with the usual ceeform 16A plugs.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: also holy poo poo that table with the wings is like 6’ long! :nice:

4'11" :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

So, back to poking around the screwfix catalogue and see what's available. Goal: a short-as-possible 16A path from the saw to the wall.

In case you are not aware the UK standard for 16A connectors is the 16A Commando (the same connector as caravans/motorhomes use at low ampage)

Screwfix sell 16A plugs and inline sockets and ready made extension leads (though the extensions are not cheap)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-16a-2p-e-connector-250v/3967x
https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-16a-2p-e-connector-250v/2264x

You're gonna have to put a UK plug on it at the wall end though unless you are gonna get a 16A outlet installed? (I get 16A and 32A commando's installed in server rooms).
You can buy 16A fuses from ebay that would fit in a UK plug and I guess they are breaking the rules slightly but if you know your ring is good and are not running much else on the same ring at the same time nothing should get overloaded.

If you want some cheaper 16A flex cable that already has a UK plug on at one end you can buy a "C19 power cable" eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/FSKE-Meters-Power-Cable-Extension/dp/B07MPP8X9M
Many servers and UPS's use these as they are rated for a 16A supply (generally only required at full chat). The C19 plug and the cable is rated for 16A but they come with a 13A fuse in the UK end.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

In case you are not aware the UK standard for 16A connectors is the 16A Commando (the same connector as caravans/motorhomes use at low ampage)

Screwfix sell 16A plugs and inline sockets and ready made extension leads (though the extensions are not cheap)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-16a-2p-e-connector-250v/3967x
https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-16a-2p-e-connector-250v/2264x

You're gonna have to put a UK plug on it at the wall end though unless you are gonna get a 16A outlet installed? (I get 16A and 32A commando's installed in server rooms).
You can buy 16A fuses from ebay that would fit in a UK plug and I guess they are breaking the rules slightly but if you know your ring is good and are not running much else on the same ring at the same time nothing should get overloaded.

If you want some cheaper 16A flex cable that already has a UK plug on at one end you can buy a "C19 power cable" eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/FSKE-Meters-Power-Cable-Extension/dp/B07MPP8X9M
Many servers and UPS's use these as they are rated for a 16A supply (generally only required at full chat). The C19 plug and the cable is rated for 16A but they come with a 13A fuse in the UK end.

mm, that's roughly where I came down on it too.

I'll text the electrician tomorrow and ask if I'm cool to push the envelope a bit on the ring. I need to map out exactly which sockets are on which ring out here, it's a bit higgledy piggledy. I'll need to run a dust extractor at the same time, so I can put that on another ring if I know which are which.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

mm, that's roughly where I came down on it too.

I'll text the electrician tomorrow and ask if I'm cool to push the envelope a bit on the ring. I need to map out exactly which sockets are on which ring out here, it's a bit higgledy piggledy. I'll need to run a dust extractor at the same time, so I can put that on another ring if I know which are which.

Look at the breaker on the ring. Mine are 30A and the ring is wired with 2.5mm cable which I think has a max rating of 24A. The bit only rated for 13A technically is the individual UK plug and socket assembly.

If you have a cooker electrical socket installed in your 'workshop' that you are not yet using then you could also wire the saw into that for now - though you should use wire rated up to the ampage of the RCD on the cooker spur in the fusebox (prob 32A) and note that it wont trip until you hit that RCD ampage.
6mm cooker cable like https://www.screwfix.com/p/prysmian-6242y-grey-6mm-twin-earth-cable-10m-coil/29733 would do the job (you could put an inline 32A commando plug/socket in there for easy disconnection but I don't know how this would stand legally!).

(Please note I am not an electrician but I do spend far too much time asking builders to install 16A and 32A sockets for servers, creating power/load calculations and trying to deal with power distribution and have also read through most of the UK wiring regulations while trying to fix my house!)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 22, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Look at the breaker on the ring. Mine are 30A and the ring is wired with 2.5mm cable which I think has a max rating of 24A. The bit only rated for 13A technically is the UK plug and socket assembly.

If you have a cooker electrical socket installed in your 'workshop' that you are not yet using then you could also wire the saw into that for now - though you should use wire rated up to the ampage of the RCD on the cooker spur in the fusebox (prob 32A) and note that it wont trip until you hit that RCD ampage.
6mm cooker cable like https://www.screwfix.com/p/prysmian-6242y-grey-6mm-twin-earth-cable-10m-coil/29733 would do the job and you could put an inline 32A commando plug/socket in there for easy disconnection!.

(Please note I am not an electrician but I do spend far too much time asking builders to install 16A and 32A sockets for servers, creating power/load calculations and trying to deal with power distribution and have also read through most of the UK wiring regulations while trying to fix my house!)

The ring breakers are 32A RCD, but I'm not sure which sockets are on which, so I need to poke around so I can make sure I'm not overloading it.

I do have a cooker circuit which is actually 40A rated, and I did think about that. Mayyybe it make sense to put some kind of socket there? I'd still need an extension. I dunno.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
How often are you actually going to use 16a inside? I'd run one right next to the consumer unit and build a 16a extension rather than messing with your ring mains. I'm not a full 18th edition electrician but I do BS7909 stuff at work and none of this sounds great. :ohdear:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TTerrible posted:

How often are you actually going to use 16a inside? I'd run one right next to the consumer unit and build a 16a extension rather than messing with your ring mains. I'm not a full 18th edition electrician but I do BS7909 stuff at work and none of this sounds great. :ohdear:

mm. so I think the two current (lol) contenders are
a) go direct to the consumer unit and a long extension, but that's proper electrician territory because I'd need a new breaker etc, and that breaker would be wasted afterwards unless I put in a large enough one that it can be reused for the workshop
b) split off from the cooker line, which is a single 10mm feed running from a 40A breaker that was rated for a 7.4kW (14.8kW max load) induction range that I changed my mind about. It's currently powering a bog standard oven and they wouldn't be run simultaneously. The only potentially janky part of that would be the wiring?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 23, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

mm. so I think the two current (lol) contenders are
a) go direct to the consumer unit and a long extension, but that's proper electrician territory because I'd need a new breaker etc, and that breaker would be wasted afterwards unless I put in a large enough one that it can be reused for the workshop
b) split off from the cooker line, which is a single 10mm feed running from a 40A breaker that was rated for a 7.4kW (14.8kW max load) induction range that I changed my mind about. It's currently powering a bog standard oven and they wouldn't be run simultaneously. The only potentially janky part of that would be the wiring?

Either of these will do but personally I'd go with the first one, get the workshop-sized breaker and ask the sparky about a temp 16/32A socket and wiring prep for the workshop.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright so I've been having a chat with the wiring thread and it looks like the consumer unit option is the right one, so I'm going to be getting the electrician in to fit a socket in a way that's reusable for the workshop later on, and I'll probably build myself a 2.5mm extension or something.

In the meantime I popped out to screwfix and grabbed 10 of each commonly available fuse to restock whatever ghost stole my 13A ones, and put a new 13A to the current plug just to confirm that's where the weak link was.

When I started it up I was expecting another half-hearted blump followed by silence, but it actually span all the way up and went along nicely.

Now, what caused the original fuse to blow where this one didn't, I don't know, but I hopefully know well enough now not to rely on this borderline situation, so I'm leaving it off for now. I'm happy enough that the hypothesis holds, and moving forward with a proper setup is all that's needed to solve the problem.

In the meantime it's going to be a very expensive work table.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wrap a cord round the motor shaft and pull start it just before you hit the switch as a manual soft start.

don't do this

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah probably a better idea to put gloves on and just spin start by hand.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Take the chance to install 3 phase, you will get access to much cheap goodies in the UK then. You know you want to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah probably a better idea to put gloves on and just spin start by hand.

That sounds dangerous, how about installing a jockey wheel onto an angle grinder and friction driving it?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Take the chance to install 3 phase, you will get access to much cheap goodies in the UK then. You know you want to.

What's involved, and what's the benefit?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Idk how involved or common it is in the UK in residential areas-here it can range from ‘not very involved’ if there is already 3-phase running down your street to ‘very involved and $15k’ if there isn’t three phase nearby. You’d probably need a new main panel, and you need to be able to run another wire from the pole to that main panel.

The main benefit is that almost all industrial machinery is 3 phase and so it opens up a huge new world of used industrial machinery that is usually much better quality and cheaper than new single phase consumer machines. That stuff is also usually fuckoff massive and may not fit so well in your kitchen? 3 phase motors are dead simple and last forever and nothing ever happens to them, plus they are usually cheaper per HP than single phase. Jokes about pull starting aside, you actually can run three phase motors on single phase by doing that.....

There are also ways to convert single phase to three phase to run 3 phase machinery if it’s not available.

E: 3 phase motors also have a lower amperage requirement per HP (because they get 3 phases of power instead of 2) so you can use smaller, cheaper wires/breakers etc. and they are usually marginally more efficient and slightly cheaper to run. If your 3kW motor were three phase, it might only draw 7-8A.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 23, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gotcha, thanks. That seems like far more effort than I'd get benefit from, since I'm hoping to never buy another piece of major machinery, not in this house, anyway.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

The benefit is your kitchen workshop gets some larger super machine islands. Every cheap used industrial machine on craigslist is yours. You can run everything! The power!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Unlimited power!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Electrician booked in for next Thursday. In the meantime I'll clear up and have another stab at the stair routing jig.