Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dietrich posted:

What the ever-living gently caress. Were they supposed to be installing things or just coming out to look at the site?

Just a site visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dietrich posted:

What the ever-living gently caress. Were they supposed to be installing things or just coming out to look at the site?

This kind of poo poo seems standard based on my experience getting tradesmen too.

Unless you are friends or related they can be flakey as gently caress. Even in confusing ways:

A door guy came to quote for remounting or replacing my kitchen door (floor clearance), did some work to check it out, quoted to fit a replacement, which I agreed to go ahead with, put everything back immaculately, no charge.

Haven’t been able to get anything else out of them re choosing a new door & fitting it, or any other useful response.

I’ve still one room in my house I’m waiting to get replastered as the guy I was using stopped responding, 5 other plasterers either no-showed when quoting multiple times, failed to return a quote even after chasing, or quoted 5x what I was previously going to pay.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

For a lot of them I suspect they show up hoping that it'll be some super simple job with massive payout and then don't bother quoting, but also a vast majority are just super busy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

For a lot of them I suspect they show up hoping that it'll be some super simple job with massive payout and then don't bother quoting, but also a vast majority are just super busy.

Yeah, I can generally see at least 3 renovation projects ongoing from any spot on my street, and 2/3 of my city centre is a building site just now, so busyness makes sense.

Just a shame that they don’t say “I am too busy” rather than agreeing to stuff then flaking. Or spending an hour to come quote for the job, then flaking.

I feel like there must be a secret VIP tier of builders and trades that aren’t flakes, but cost 10x more, though I have yet to come across them.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
If you come out to do the quote and say nothing, rather than not because you've got a full dance card, you can always keep the N most lucrative/fun projects available to you. It's a good scheme, if every trade in the area plays along.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The recent(-ish) boom in renovations/building doesn't help, but it isn't just that. Back when everything went pear-shaped after the 2008-9 financial crisis it was the exact same story. Contractors/builders were laying off people left and right because work dried up and you still couldn't get them to come out to do a quote. It puzzles me how these people function, running off with the money after a half-rear end job requires you to get your hands on the money first, and if you can't even be bothered to do a quote, how are you going to do that?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

So its been raining quite a bit for a few days now and has turned into Autumn - has your shed hole turned into a pond?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Shed on stilts, so what

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

So its been raining quite a bit for a few days now and has turned into Autumn - has your shed hole turned into a pond?

Pond, no. Dusty dry surface turned to a cm of mud, yes.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

A cum of mud

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

CancerCakes posted:

A cum of mud

George RR Martin finally published a new book?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

Lots of screwing, broken promises, taking years to complete. This checks out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Lots of screwing, broken promises, taking years to complete. This checks out.

:drat:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Vim Fuego posted:

yes it's his autobiography

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Friend came down and helped out for a few days.

Weed control membrane.

Frame sections glued, bolted, and nailed.

I meant to put loctite on the nuts but forgot, oh well.

Screwed down. This was a real pain in the rear end getting the tek screws into the steel.

Ripped some 2x6 offcuts into 2x2s to serve as an inner perimeter for the flooring.

Cut a giant stack of batten.

Laid and fixed the permeable membrane.

By blessed coincidence my bays were exactly as long as the rockwool sheets.

We fixed down a couple of rows of caberdek and covered it in plastic before the weather set in. This stuff isn't nearly the silver bullet I was hoping for, and I'll likely use cheaper stuff next time.

Joists arrived today, obviously the structure is not ready yet, so they'll sit here for some time. I humoured the delivery driver for long enough for him to get my drat stuff unloaded, but there's only so many conspiracy theories I can listen to while being soaked to the bone with pouring rain.

The weather has really set in now, and I was really hoping to have the structure weathertight by now, but alas it is not to be. I go back to work in a week or so so things are going to slow down all over, hopefully I can find some dry weekends to push forward.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Got van. Van good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Have you bought a copy of the sun and a takeaway?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

No it is not a white van.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Good choice. White vans have a tendency to suffer from mysterious breakdowns in the morning.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

Good choice. White vans have a tendency to suffer from mysterious breakdowns in the morning.

Hah!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Van.

I didn't pay for the plywood lining because I was going to do it myself, but it seems they went ahead and did it anyway.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ah, finally decided to listen to sense and just live down by the river?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I know a guy that can hook you up with a really nice in-van fire pit

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Carbon monoxide is a sometimes treat.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Is the van at least water tight?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't think it'd make it across the channel, no.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
Should have checked for supply shortages on lego and puppies before you got the van but congratulations nonetheless!

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Good choice on the red; that is the fastest colour.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Goddamn that is a sexy van

Just think how much junk you can fit in that to take to the tip, awesome

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

As well as now having capacity for activities, it also has auto lights, wipers, stop/start and parking (reverse-into-bay and parallel), adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, rear parking camera with active guidance, it's going to make long trips so much better than my car which came with a CD changer in the boot and doesn't even have cruise control.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
disappointed you didnt fashion the panels from raw sheet metal yourself tbh

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Jaded Burnout posted:

As well as now having capacity for activities, it also has auto lights, wipers, stop/start and parking (reverse-into-bay and parallel), adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, rear parking camera with active guidance, it's going to make long trips so much better than my car which came with a CD changer in the boot and doesn't even have cruise control.

Nice, that sounds really great!
So things are looking up on the job front?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

C... posted:

Nice, that sounds really great!
So things are looking up on the job front?

Well, the reason I was so casual about quitting my job in April is because my skills are in high demand. I had paperwork signed for a new contract 48 hours after texting my recruiter.

I’m deliberately doing 6mo on 6mo off.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, the reason I was so casual about quitting my job in April is because my skills are in high demand. I had paperwork signed for a new contract 48 hours after texting my recruiter.

I’m deliberately doing 6mo on 6mo off.

Surely there cant be that many holes that need digging by hand?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

heckin sweet mate

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Heckin sweet indeed, what a great setup.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks great. I’m glad to have access to a big truck, but I’d definitely get a van if I didn’t have the truck. Can I’d fit A Plywood in the back?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks great. I’m glad to have access to a big truck, but I’d definitely get a van if I didn’t have the truck. Can I’d fit A Plywood in the back?

It sure can, flat or on edge.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you need to get a girlfriend to spend some of your money.

unless youre gay in which case I'll give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Incredibly jealous. My stupid tiny SUV can only fit half a sheet of ply.