Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not ideal parking but it'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Ah you "accidentally" knocked that wall down a year ago so you can overhang the transit and gain precious parking inches. Jb Master tactician strikes again!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, the reason I was so casual about quitting my job in April is because my skills are in high demand. I had paperwork signed for a new contract 48 hours after texting my recruiter.

I’m deliberately doing 6mo on 6mo off.

Are you the COBOL engineer keeping Argos and Screwfix running

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm keeping screwfix going but not that way.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
whats on the roof of the poshest transit I've ever seen?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

whats on the roof of the poshest transit I've ever seen?

Nothing, currently. I'll add some racks, I'm sure.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just Winging It posted:

I mean, I'm the weirdo who breaks out the feeler gauges to check my gaps, but I can't understand doing such sloppy work at all. A lot of that is legitimately dangerous, wildly leaning walls, compromised trusses, accidents waiting to happen. It's baffling how these people sleep at night.

They sleep the sleep of someone whose business will have declared bankruptcy and reincorporated under a different name in the next county over by the time the owners notice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Got another row done with the flooring. Got faster as I went, as a lot of these things are heavy or bulky or both, so they require a different approach when done by one person.

I ditched the recommended D4 glue because the bottles it comes in loving suck, but I'm going to try the next row with a similar glue from a cartridge gun.

The previous plastic formed some lil baths. Both good and bad. Good because it weighed down the edge of the sheet, bad because popping them temporarily flooded part of the area I was working on.

Took a whole day to do this (permeable membrane, battens, insulation, flooring).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Early Saturday morning start.

Each of these rows takes about 5 hours to do.

This morning, slightly less early start.

The edges are uneven, meaning the first row was a lil sloped and threw everything off, but whatever.

Continuing.

Trimmed all the edges to the correct margin and taped the cross-joints. You can tell from the photos that the sun was going down at this point and I was really running on fumes.

Long joints

Edges.

Taped over the screw holes, and we're done. Finally. Sun well down by this point.

So that's hopefully weather resistant. And it's already rained, hence the push to get it finished today.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Framing the walls next?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dietrich posted:

Framing the walls next?

Indeed. Something which fortunately can happen in the rain if need be, though a bit annoying if I can't take the mitre saw outside since I've blocked the bifolds with the stack of plywood.

In any case, that's the plan for next weekend.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Get yourself a blue tarp from Screwfix and rig up a work tent for power tooling underneath!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Windows and doors on order.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Get yourself a blue tarp from Screwfix and rig up a work tent for power tooling underneath!

This seemed like a reasonable idea, so I picked up a slightly-better-than-the-blue-one tarp from screwfix plus some fixings and some advice from the TGO boating thread on knots.

Anchor points at the top of the wall.

Bowline.

Adjustable grip hitch.

I placed the anchors 4m apart so I can clip the middle half of the 8m tarp to each end and loosely clip to the ridge line.

I started drilling for the anchors for the corners but my lil 12VDC hammer drill wasn't getting it done.

I don't mind working in the rain but I don't fancy dragging the 240VAC SDS drill out during a downpour, so I weighed the tarp down so it at least provides some protection to the stockpile until I can find a dry window to get out there and set up those anchors, either tomorrow or some time in the week. Hopefully it won't flap around too much in the meantime.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dry day today so I took a few minutes at lunch and drilled out those holes with the big drill. Cheap Bosch knockoff still getting it done.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I hope your tarp tent works well! I built much of my patio, garden retaining wall and garage under one, and did a lot of car maintenance under them before i built my own carport and garage!

I now don't bother roping things and generally build a frame out of scrap bits of wood/metal and staple the tarp to it - or when working against a wall just screw a baton down over/through the tarp and into the wall to hold it.
Stretch it tight as you do it and it gives you a more stable cover that can deal with some weather and doesn't flap around annoyingly.
When I want to disassemble it i just cut the tarp slightly smaller with a knife! and save it for the next time.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Tomarse posted:

I hope your tarp tent works well! I built much of my patio, garden retaining wall and garage under one, and did a lot of car maintenance under them before i built my own carport and garage!

I now don't bother roping things and generally build a frame out of scrap bits of wood/metal and staple the tarp to it - or when working against a wall just screw a baton down over/through the tarp and into the wall to hold it.
Stretch it tight as you do it and it gives you a more stable cover that can deal with some weather and doesn't flap around annoyingly.
When I want to disassemble it i just cut the tarp slightly smaller with a knife! and save it for the next time.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put grommets into the tarp to put screws through, thus saving you from eventually needing to but a new one?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is that top edge of the extension cladding where you've put your little anchors finished? Surely not?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not. I will eventually get round to adding coping, but it's real expensive.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol sorry for giving u poo poo.

But is it more expensive than building a whole other building?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Making the top of the back walls look nice isn't exactly a high priority right now. Also, based on the cost of doing the front, I'd say it'd cost a third of the entire warehouse's materials.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 17, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol. Ok yeah.

I spent 12k on some pre machined Oak trusses, then this week rented a telehandler to lift them in to place for the best part of a grand.

Only to discover they have been machined wrong and do not fit together. The oak company are too cowardly to talk to me by phone, email only.

I can fix it but like I want I dunno some money back or some flowers or something to say sorry. I'm delicate

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

While facing down another weekend full of rain, heavy wind, and snow, I got sick of trying to work around the needs of power tools and skived off work for a few hours to get back to basics.

Really I just need a hand saw, tape measure, and pen. Hand saws even have 90º and 45º squares built into the shape of the handles.

Didn't get the neatest cut in the world but a couple of clamps will sort that out so I'm not holding it steady with a knee. I'll make some proper progress tomorrow.

I also got some cheap portable LED worklights so I can work past 4pm.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I knew that birds had been having a go at the stacks of insulation, but I didn't know they'd done a number on all of them with their feet.

They're all gonna be full of water now.

I also knew that some had been more actively digging into one of the bundles to (I assume) steal materials, and that was fine, but I hadn't seen the *other* side.

Oh well. Anyway, put in the sole plate. Left room at the front for the door. (I filled in the corners but forgot to take a photo).

The wind was really picking up and throwing the ladder I was using to weigh down the tarp clean off the stockpile. I was also still a bit concerned about the joists being on a leaning tower, so I solved two problems at once.

I put 3 joists and the board for the lintels on, each weighing about 40kg. This will cause a problem later on when I need the wood under them, but I'll trade two now-problems for one then-problem.

Tomorrow I will attempt to put up the left hand wall.

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004
at least the birds will have well insulated nests.

Good to see some progress :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

jabadoo posted:

at least the birds will have well insulated nests.

Yeah hope so. As long as they're not just wasting it.

jabadoo posted:

Good to see some progress :)

Yeah I was about to fuckin flip if I went another week without getting anything done. No way I'd have been able to use power tools outdoors today.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Tomorrow I will attempt to put up the left hand wall.

Behold JB's garden erection.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

You know it is gales across the country all weekend right? Putting up a sail made of wood seems unwise

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 28, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It takes a special kind of grit to get out of a warm bed on a sunday morning and go out into 0º weather.

I do not have that kind of grit.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I have a box full of many, many grits, ranging from 80 to 1200, but have yet to find one that enables me to do that either.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I really didn't want to leave those outside, but I'm rapidly running out of options. Hopefully they'll be OK.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Did...your frames and sashes come packaged separately? Or is that frames with and the glass separate? :psyduck:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Did...your frames and sashes come packaged separately? Or is that frames with and the glass separate? :psyduck:

It's the latter.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's the latter.

What made you want to do your own glazing? I work in the window/door industry and while I'm sure we can get glass/bead shipped separate from the frames, I've never seen it done in practice except when there's seal failure, stress cracks, or a pane needs replaced.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D34THROW posted:

What made you want to do your own glazing? I work in the window/door industry and while I'm sure we can get glass/bead shipped separate from the frames, I've never seen it done in practice except when there's seal failure, stress cracks, or a pane needs replaced.

I don't know enough to give you a solid answer there, but it seems to be the done thing. I remember them being similar when I had the ones on the house done, and that was a different company/brand. Are you in the UK or..?

I can tell you that I've had to remove and switch sashes with the glass in and they're heavy as gently caress, very difficult to manouever, so I'm happier to do it this way, I guess.

The installation instructions also have a step for shimming out the frame which I think is gravity based? i.e. it might wind up slightly different for a given installation.

But as I say I'm not really sure. I wasn't given the option either way when I bought them.

Edit: These are the installation guides:
Windows
Doors

Edit 2: If your question was more generally "why don't you get someone else to do it", the answer to that is the same as everything else; there's nobody available. I've not found PVC door/window installation to be super hard (though I'm sure there's hard bits I've not encountered yet).

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 2, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't know enough to give you a solid answer there, but it seems to be the done thing. I remember them being similar when I had the ones on the house done, and that was a different company/brand. Are you in the UK or..?

I can tell you that I've had to remove and switch sashes with the glass in and they're heavy as gently caress, very difficult to manouever, so I'm happier to do it this way, I guess.

The installation instructions also have a step for shimming out the frame which I think is gravity based? i.e. it might wind up slightly different for a given installation.

But as I say I'm not really sure. I wasn't given the option either way when I bought them.

Edit: These are the installation guides:
Windows
Doors

Edit 2: If your question was more generally "why don't you get someone else to do it", the answer to that is the same as everything else; there's nobody available. I've not found PVC door/window installation to be super hard (though I'm sure there's hard bits I've not encountered yet).

No, I'm in Florida, actually :v: Had no idea you were in the UK, guess US versus UK differences here. Yeah, those look insulated and they're heavy fuckers, I used to help unload the trucks and it was a rather effective way to lose weight and build muscle, sweating in an open 90°F+ warehouse schlepping 200+ pounds of window around multiple times.

Now, in Florida, we have impact windows too, which are glass on PVB on glass, add an airspace and glass if they're insulated too. Three panes plus the PVB and it wasn't uncommon for me and the shop guy to drop a nut carrying them off the forklift.

We do reglaze when needed, just that windows typically come with the glass already in them.

Far as shimming goes, we do that here too, typically at my work we order the windows about 1/4" smaller than the opening and shove in a few shims to make it level in the opening.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D34THROW posted:

No, I'm in Florida, actually :v: Had no idea you were in the UK, guess US versus UK differences here. Yeah, those look insulated and they're heavy fuckers, I used to help unload the trucks and it was a rather effective way to lose weight and build muscle, sweating in an open 90°F+ warehouse schlepping 200+ pounds of window around multiple times.

Now, in Florida, we have impact windows too, which are glass on PVB on glass, add an airspace and glass if they're insulated too. Three panes plus the PVB and it wasn't uncommon for me and the shop guy to drop a nut carrying them off the forklift.

We do reglaze when needed, just that windows typically come with the glass already in them.

I'd have to check the manifest but iirc I got these as double-glazed, argon filled, with an impact coating to make it harder to break in (but I don't think there's a third pane). Fortunately lifting very heavy things is something I can do well.

D34THROW posted:

Far as shimming goes, we do that here too, typically at my work we order the windows about 1/4" smaller than the opening and shove in a few shims to make it level in the opening.

Shimming the frames, sure, but I think you shim the glass inside the sash, too. At least from when I skimmed the installation instructions.

10mm smaller is the guide here (5mm each side).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'd have to check the manifest but iirc I got these as double-glazed, argon filled, with an impact coating to make it harder to break in (but I don't think there's a third pane). Fortunately lifting very heavy things is something I can do well.

Probably a thin film of some sort, our impact windows here are built to withstand a ten-foot 2x4 shot out of a cannon at 160 miles an hour - hurricane-rated. The PVB interlayer is more about preventing water and debris intrusion in Florida; I imagine in the UK it makes more sense that home intrusion is the primary factor, I don't think y'all are having hurricanes every year trying to throw trees into your house.

quote:

Shimming the frames, sure, but I think you shim the glass inside the sash, too. At least from when I skimmed the installation instructions.

10mm smaller is the guide here (5mm each side).

Like I said, ours come pre-glazed but I believe they're wet glazed. Sometimes, like on sliding glass doors, they're marine glazed with the rubber gasket. I don't think shimming the glass is a thing our manufacturer does, but it...actually makes a lot of sense.

Of course, the closest I've come to doing any of it, really, is disposing of old windows - our installers would haul them back to the shop, I and the shop guy would spend an afternoon breaking all the glass out into the dumpster, and we'd sell the scrap.

It was fun when we'd pull out an old impact window and then everyone in the shop would grab a sledgehammer and we'd lay that fucker down and go to town on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D34THROW posted:

Probably a thin film of some sort, our impact windows here are built to withstand a ten-foot 2x4 shot out of a cannon at 160 miles an hour - hurricane-rated. The PVB interlayer is more about preventing water and debris intrusion in Florida; I imagine in the UK it makes more sense that home intrusion is the primary factor, I don't think y'all are having hurricanes every year trying to throw trees into your house.

That's right, yeah. They're sold as being similar to car windshields in that sense.