Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tater_salad posted:

RE woodorking.. If you don't own one of these.. get one, they rule and you'll toss those silly fin holders into one of your well organized storage bins.

https://amzn.to/38hNljN

I'm not convinced. Yes I can see them being better than the long push sticks and even the usual flat-iron home made type, but unless I'm missing something it's still relying on all three force vectors to come from your hand, just providing better grip to make it a bit easier. At some point you're going to have to lift your hand up during a cut and/or move around the table or shift your weight, and that's where you're trying to move your body around your hands while also maintaining pressure at odd and changing angles.

The featherboard does all the work on one of those vectors for me, so I can just focus on pressing down and forward. It also handles the most awkward direction for me; because it's pushing towards the fence I can stand behind the fence (the safest place to be) and not have to try to pull the work towards me or lean over the blade.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gocha.

I've used them and don't worry going over the blade because I've spaced it so the gripper floats over the blade.. it also lets me stand to the side a bit to protect me nards from the kickback. And yes it's 100% better than a push stick.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tater_salad posted:

RE woodorking..

Heh, wood-dorking.
Seems apt.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

New labels arrived this morning.

This evening I decided to make a start on joining my cut pieces together.

I spoke with the woodworking thread and they recommended a floating tenon since I wanted to keep as much of the length of the joined pieces as possible. So I grabbed one of the previous offcuts that was conveniently about the right thickness, and chopped 6" off.

Clamped up the two pieces just for alignment and drew on the mortices.

Saw cuts.

Chiselling.

Two mistakes here. 1, I cut the mortice too wide. Probably cut on the line and didn't take account of the kerf.

2, while I did chisel a relief into the top at the base of the mortice, I didn't on the underside, so at some point I blew out the back beyond the reach of the mortice.

No big deal really, it was my first try after all. First let's fix the first issue, fortunately I have more offcuts that I've kept hold of, one of which is a good thickness for shims.

Second, I found the blown out piece from underneath and trimmed it to size, and replaced it. Glued it all up.

In hindsight I should've waited before gluing until I had the other mortice ready to go so I could clamp the splints on again for alignment's sake, but it'll probably be fine.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 13, 2020

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Jaded Burnout posted:

but it'll probably be fine.

Famous last words.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Second, I found the blown out piece from underneath and trimmed it to size, and replaced it. Glued it all up.
This is like #1 best reason to keep a reasonably clean shop/work area ime.

Jaded Burnout posted:

In hindsight I should've waited before gluing until I had the other mortice ready to go so I could clamp the splints on again for alignment's sake, but it'll probably be fine.
I hope you put something on your floor so you don't get glue on your nice tile. :ohdear:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I hope you put something on your floor so you don't get glue on your nice tile. :ohdear:

I probably should, though it's only PVA.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Glue dried.

Trimmed flat. Going to need some filling later.

Redoing the line up with the other piece.

Keeping well within the lines this time.

Some chisel work later, made a mistake while test fitting.

Soldiered on, was originally going to clamp it like this:

But I was concerned about alignment in the other axis so used the floor as a bit of a flat plane. I've got a suitable glass panel somewhere but I don't know where it went.

Don't worry Kaiser, there's parchment paper between the glue and the floor.

While I was having lunch the RCD on half my house circuits tripped. Turns out all this torrential rain is leaking into my utility room again, this time dripping directly into the control panel for the heating system.

I put some blocking towels up and isolated that circuit so it could dry out.

Apart from being a bit dirty the roof looks OK, so it must be the fibreglass and/or wood in the corner that's causing trouble again, so I'm advancing my plans for adding some better waterproofing and attacking it tomorrow morning, which is the only few dry hours I'm going to get until next week. If I have time I'll do the other roof too, preventatively.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

JB, I know we are more byob buddies then DIY but you still never cease to amaze me. You may feel like you are just doing things one small step at a time, but, really, you get poo poo done in a way that I wonder what is wrong with me! Respect!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Twenty Four posted:

JB, I know we are more byob buddies then DIY but you still never cease to amaze me. You may feel like you are just doing things one small step at a time, but, really, you get poo poo done in a way that I wonder what is wrong with me! Respect!

Thanks, that means a lot. But be sure not to compare your behind-the-scenes with someone else's highlight reel. There's a lot of stress and distress that you don't see.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alright then.

First run in place. Not tooooo horrendous.

Reinforced the inner corner.

Second run.

Had to basically give up nailing the inside edge by this point, because the fibreglass was somehow tougher and I was sick of hitting my fingers and/or pinging nails off into the ether.

Hit the nails and seams up with some "isoflex liquid rubber", which the manufacturer says works on fibreglass. Fuckin liars.

The only way to get any sort of seal over the join was to really glob it on, so that's what I did.

It was very good for its main purpose, which was quickly sealing the nails so I didn't have to gently caress around with mastic.

I also trimmed back the expanding foam that I'd put in last year and never trimmed, just in case it was wicking water through somehow.

I've no idea if this will all do the job, I guess we'll find out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Time to cut more mortices. Rather than do half a dozen by hand I decided to put the cheek cuts in with the table saw and finish off with the chisels.

I wanted to clamp a block to set the length of the cut but I didn't have a good way to do so, so I used tape and delicacy. Blade raised as high as possible to make the inside of the cut as up-and-down as possible, though something like a bandsaw would be better since cutting like this with a circular blade will always leave a curved partial cut.

Much neater cuts this time, and with a better fit.

So with that successfully tested, I cut the cheeks on the remaining pieces for one of the stringers, and set up a block on the sled to cut some quick tenons, and trimmed the ends of all the main pieces.

Then did the same for the other stringer's extension.

There's been 3 mistakes so far in these photos, see how many you can spot.

Chiselled out the first stringer's pieces.

I made a start on the other stringer's pieces but after blowing out two of them in a row I decided I probably needed to stop, glued up a repair and called it a day.

Speaking of repairs, the roof repair from Friday seems to be holding up well.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also delivery guy just nearly hosed my back up again by just handing me a 20kg amazon box without warning me about the weight.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

All mortices cut. I got pretty decent at it by the end. Sharpening my chisel(s) helped a little maybe, perhaps I just suck at sharpening.

Glue up begins.

"Clamping".

Slow but continued progress.

Also ordered some contact cement for another project and boy howdy is it the cutest lil tin.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What is the final destination of all these boards you're stretching?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What is the final destination of all these boards you're stretching?

They're getting glued alongside the wider boards to the left, to bring them out to the required widths as stair stringers.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're getting glued alongside the wider boards to the left, to bring them out to the required widths as stair stringers.

Wait, you're adding those to the bottom to make your stringers wider?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Wait, you're adding those to the bottom to make your stringers wider?

Yeah. The book I'm following does the same thing, since the appropriate widths of board aren't readily available here.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah. The book I'm following does the same thing, since the appropriate widths of board aren't readily available here.

I just wanted to make sure I was reading it right, mornings are hard pre coffee. I've seen it done once on miscut stringers in the past just didn't know how common it was

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I just wanted to make sure I was reading it right, mornings are hard pre coffee. I've seen it done once on miscut stringers in the past just didn't know how common it was

Me neither! This being my first time. But the line in the book is something along the lines of "unless you're using the less commonly available 250mm stock some glue-up will be required to bring 215mm boards up to the required 245mm". And indeed 215mm* is what my local timber merchant stocks.

* All numbers here are off the cuff and might not be exactly what I'm working with.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Me neither! This being my first time. But the line in the book is something along the lines of "unless you're using the less commonly available 250mm stock some glue-up will be required to bring 215mm boards up to the required 245mm". And indeed 215mm* is what my local timber merchant stocks.

* All numbers here are off the cuff and might not be exactly what I'm working with.
That is really dumb but entirely unsurprising that the code or w/e requires a size that is not commonly available.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That is really dumb but entirely unsurprising that the code or w/e requires a size that is not commonly available.

I'll post some of the pages a bit later, but I think it's more of a practical concern, in that a comfortable stair run requires a step triangle of a certain height, and once you add a bit of space for the nosing (on closed strings) or to account for the removed strength (in cut strings) you wind up 30mm over the common width.

If it helps, the current stairs in my house (lol) use 215mm* width boards as-is and they're alright, so I guess it's more of a best practice thing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I just reversed my car into the garden wall and destroyed it (the wall, not the car)

:doh:

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I just reversed my car into the garden wall and destroyed it (the wall, not the car)

:doh:

Why would you do that? Doesn't seem very wise...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

schmug posted:

Why would you do that? Doesn't seem very wise...

Berlin 1991 re-enactment

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So, last night, finished up one of the strips for the stairs. Pretty straight. The bow here is actually in one of the pieces, not at the joints. It should flex straight when clamped, hopefully.

This morning, I had a large delivery arrive, so I moved my car back onto the grass as far as I could to give room for the truck. Did I say "as far as I could"? I meant "further than I could".

That wall was flagged as unstable on the initial home inspection 5 years ago, so I'm not surprised it put up no resistance, it barely even scraped my bumper.

The neighbour and I had a good laugh when it happened, then after the delivery I pulled down anything loose (which was most of it) and chucked everything onto my property.

The delivery in question.

Planer/thicknesser, baby.

Need to figure out how to best get this onto a mobile base. The bottom has 4x 10mm threaded bolt holes for feet so I may see if I can find some wheels I can bolt on.

There's a welded nut on the inside so it could be done from the outside, or I can if needed access them from the inside.

It's heavy, around 210kg, but it can be slid around as needed to get it onto a new platform. I was kinda expecting it to arrive in more pieces but no matter.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

JB, when this is done, are you going to have a kitchen or a woodshop?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's awesome! Well, except for the wall, but I guess it was on the list of things to get to eventually, anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dietrich posted:

Yes

Rexxed posted:

That's awesome! Well, except for the wall, but I guess it was on the list of things to get to eventually, anyway.

Just another brick in the wall..

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

So, last night, finished up one of the strips for the stairs. Pretty straight. The bow here is actually in one of the pieces, not at the joints. It should flex straight when clamped, hopefully.

Your ironing board is mesmerizing.

Saw this crooked board and thought, 'man if JB had a jointer that would clean right up'

and then,

Jaded Burnout posted:

Planer/thicknesser, baby.
That looks pretty beefy!

This style of mobile base is very good IMO. It doesn't raise the machine so high up off the ground like sticking casters under it would, and the wheels are outside the footprint of the machine base so it is more stable, and you can put the little feet down to make it really solid and locked in place.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-heavy-duty-mobile-base-540kg-105072
(no idea if that's the right size for your machine)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Your ironing board is mesmerizing.

Saw this crooked board and thought, 'man if JB had a jointer that would clean right up'

and then,

That looks pretty beefy!

This style of mobile base is very good IMO. It doesn't raise the machine so high up off the ground like sticking casters under it would, and the wheels are outside the footprint of the machine base so it is more stable, and you can put the little feet down to make it really solid and locked in place.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-heavy-duty-mobile-base-540kg-105072
(no idea if that's the right size for your machine)

Yeah the problem is that the one that *is* compatible is on 5 week back order:
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-planer-thicknesser-mobile-base-101700

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Dietrich posted:

Sorry sorry busy day did you say you wanted some deli meat or some boards? No matter same machine just throw me that whole ham over there and we'll get it going

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sorry sorry busy day did you say you wanted some deli meat or some boards? No matter same machine just throw me that whole ham over there and we'll get it going

Joint-cut teak or steak-cut joint?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-planer-thicknesser-mobile-base-101700

how about amazon? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shop-Fox-D2057A-Adjustable-Mobile/dp/B0000DD6B9/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=mobile+base&qid=1582131100&sr=8-10

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

That’s no fun. Looking at the numbers, it looks like there is a pretty big overlap in sizes they will handle-a few plywood shims might make up the difference if the machine is a little too small for the bigger one? Or cut down the bars a bit-they’re pretty simple

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That’s no fun. Looking at the numbers, it looks like there is a pretty big overlap in sizes they will handle-a few plywood shims might make up the difference if the machine is a little too small for the bigger one? Or cut down the bars a bit-they’re pretty simple

Is there a really good reason not to just bolt castors on it? That's how my table saw is, after all.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is there a really good reason not to just bolt castors on it? That's how my table saw is, after all.
You probably can just bolt casters to it , but I’d consider the working height of the machine and stability.

I like a jointer to be relatively low because that’s what I’m used to and it’s a bit easier with heavy timbers, but if you’re taller that may not matter to you. The mobile bases have a mechanism that lifts the swivel casters off the ground when locked, so they are much steadier than locked swivel casters which tend to still wiggle around. Jointers are kind of top heavy and making the footprint smaller than the base might be a concern, but it looks like the motor is mounted down lower in the cabinet so that’s probably not really an issue.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You probably can just bolt casters to it , but I’d consider the working height of the machine and stability.

I like a jointer to be relatively low because that’s what I’m used to and it’s a bit easier with heavy timbers, but if you’re taller that may not matter to you. The mobile bases have a mechanism that lifts the swivel casters off the ground when locked, so they are much steadier than locked swivel casters which tend to still wiggle around. Jointers are kind of top heavy and making the footprint smaller than the base might be a concern, but it looks like the motor is mounted down lower in the cabinet so that’s probably not really an issue.

I think I'll start with the castors and see how it goes. The ones I buy lock rotation as well as rolling, so combined with the rough tile floor they grip quite well. I can always upgrade later.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just don't roll your jointer into a wall after you put wheels on it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Don't remember seeing a planned workshop room in the thread, but there will for drat sure be one now (as there should be in anything larger than 80m2!)