Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I laid down a bunch of self-leveling compound when I installed some laminate, and it's a fairly labor-intensive process. You've got to mark out all the low spots, clean the poo poo out of the floor, mix 40lb bags of compound in 5 gallon buckets, and carefully spread it and feather it into the low spots.

Also the self-leveling material is pretty expensive per-bag as well.

I swear we used like half a pallet of it leveling the floor in our house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you plan on doing any significant amount of drywall work, get yourself a rotozip. For example, in that doorway you'd just have shoved it through the wall near one of the sides, moved it to the side until you hit the stud, and just followed the stud all the way down.

It really comes in handy when you've got a bunch of boxes/vents in a wall. This video describes it way better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPFi0Dvui-I&t=58s

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the multitool will cut into things on its edge I guess, whereas thats basically just a drill. Interesting certainly but would it not work just using a drill already plunged through the plasterboard?

I think the only difference is the bit - the rotozip bits cut on the very tip, but then there's a 1/4 inch part or so that's just smooth steel, so you don't manage to mangle the box you're cutting around.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Definitely keep us up to date on CAD options - I've been using some ancient version of sketchup for awhile now, and it nags me to go to their cloud (read: worse in every way) version every time I start it. I am dreading the day I have to wipe my computer for whatever reason.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Decoy Badger posted:

Maybe you should build some stairs for the scaffolding!

Unprotected scaffolding is definitely not a good idea.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are you cutting the insulation? If so, a cheap generic wood hand saw will make it go a lot cleaner.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wood glue and nail the pieces together from the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HAmbONE posted:

I hope your roof works out.

I’m about to start a major renovation on my 1969 Canadian house and I’m a little worried. Went with an all in one renovation/ new home company that seems to be highly respected. However they invited us to see their show homes and I found multiple finish problems. Two main issues being sticker labels on baths and showers being caulked over but very visible. Also metal railings that were visibly damaged around their base. I showed them pictures of my concerns and they came back with “this is standard for show homes, we want homeowners to have realistic expectations of a lived in home.”

Is this as dumb as it sounds or am I being to picky?

Try to find a decent third party inspector, because if they're loving up the cosmetic stuff badly who knows what's behind the walls.