Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Carried on across the board, adding spacers where needed to achieve plumb as best I could. Oiled and waxed.

That all took about 6 hours because of all the problem solving, next time (maybe tomorrow!) will be much faster now I know what I'm doing.

Not to harsh your groove, but should the ends of the cladding board be over empty space, rather than ending on a stud?
I'm also assuming that you will be alternating where the ends fall so as to not have a continuous vertical seam?
(I don't know a great deal about board cladding. My one and only house is typical American brick veneer.)

edit: it was 103 on Sunday here in sunny Dallas-ish, Texas. Though the humidity wasn't terrible. I am now (temporarily) a red-neck in fact, if not in personality thanks to all that sun out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jeherrin posted:

Absolutely no free-floating anything, unless you want them to warp and stick out over time and weather exposure. All board ends must be affixed to something.

Seconding the cripple stud or the ‘backplate’.

That's what I was concerned about when I mentioned it. Nice to know I wasn't off-base.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Interesting thanks, I read the manual. Looks like I could bond directly to the slab, as there's a moisture barrier underneath it. Then it's either pad and new laminate or engineered hardwood directly over that. So I'd get away with only a 3/4" rise I floor level.

Didn't Kastein make his own version of this? Just the plywood part anyway, I wonder what difference the aluminium actually makes.

I believe he did, and I presume that the aluminum is used as a heat reflective layer to keep your heat from radiating into the foundation or floor below, depending on application.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Good job on stopping to take a breath before going postal.

Break it down to basics: either your math is off, your measurements are off, or your boards are off.
I gather that "SP06" image you posted above is the profile of the cladding that you are using. How do they fit together when stacked? If no gap is left, does the tongue hit the bottom of the groove at the same time as the steps behind that contact?
When you say that you're leaving a 2mm gap, do you mean in the tongue and groove, or on the front side between where the angle bottoms and the next piece starts?
One would hope that the boards are consistent.
What happens if you just stack them, with no gap, just leaving them where they rest?

I'm not sure I'll be able to offer advice - just trying to get a though process started that might root out the issue.

If I wanted to maintain a certain alignment, I'd probably make a gauge block that fits the angle of the lower piece, and the bottom horizontal flat of the upper piece.
Something like one of these, maybe:

Where that short vertical after the angle is your desired gap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Siberian larch

*Urge to reference the Monty Python “Larch” skits intensifies.*

Looks good! Hopefully the other side will go better now that you have some experience under your belt.
Really the hardest part to this sort of DIY to me is that if I mess up a little *I* will know it’s there and notice every time, even if no one else ever will. In your case, it’s even on the back of the house where no one but yourself or invited guests will ever even see.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That wall ended up looking really sweet. Glad you stuck it out and powered through the issues.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pics, or it didn’t happen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Planer?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, that looks about right.
Or better still, nice comfy temps with cloud coverage all week - blazing hot with no clouds at all over the weekend.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, that's a bit more unfriendly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"Too many tools" is an oxymoron.

It's more of a null statement. All I hear is white noise when someone attempts to use the phrase.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah I mean I was exaggerating a little there, if it comes to it I'll ask, but it has been 2 years at this point. The "bad memory for names" is true because I've been told all of them at some point.

I feel you. I have the same problem, even with people I actually work with.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

schmug posted:

That trac saw you just picked up will do about 75% of what table saw can, and about 95% of what you would need one for.

And do some things better, like cutting large sheet goods. Cutting down a full sheet of plywood or MDF on a contractor table saw (read: small, folding, portable) is an adventure. Definitely takes two people or strategic sawhorses.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, North Texas where I am is looking like that. Sunny or partly cloudy all week, decent temperatures, and thunderstorms Saturday and Sunday. RIP outdoor activity, and for that matter, anything that didn't want the stupid amount of rain we've gotten lately. My yard is actually unhappy from too much water. Last weekend we had (flash, mostly) flooding in the area.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

In that case, I just do the work in my 2-car garage.
~:smug::clint::911::fsmug:~

...if it wasn't full of crap that isn't my cars :negative:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Being the pedantic fool I am, I'd start by getting a solid, legal definition of what a "CCTV camera" is, because my camera's AREN'T Closed Circuit TV. They're digital cameras recording to a computer. They are "security cameras."
10m apart would be possible if each side of your house is at least 10m - one camera at each corner, pointing along one wall from that corner toward the next camera. Not ideal, of course. Coverage at the far corner would be less useful from distance.
Pretty dumb rule, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What? Government employees who want to help you? Unthinkable!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

an employee of a supplier of a supplier of a supplier of a supplier of the government.

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0i_tL-8aU&t=24s
(bit starting at 00:24 if it doesn't jump there.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You are dead to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That’s nice, but this is Jaded Burnout’s thread for his house, not a general thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cool. Your thread, your rules.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It’s like you people have never heard of paint or sealer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Buy can of paint. Probably exterior paint, if outside.
Buy brush, 1 or more.
Open can of paint.
Paint. Cover all the parts you wish to have paint. Don't paint the parts you wish to have not paint.
Clean up the inevitable unholy mess.
Admire.

Scrape and repaint every year.

I'm mostly joking. I know JBurnout is going for a look/feel. Something just didn't go right in the products applied, it seems. I wonder if a deck sealer would work better? Might compromise the appearance, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Loezi posted:

Ooh, my little pretty one, my pretty one
When you gonna give me some time, patina
Ooh, you make the color fun, the color fun
Got it coming on the wall, patina
Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty look
I always get it up, for the touch of the older wood
My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my patina

(I tried :negative:)

I, for one, applaud your effort.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I bought some oils specific for the purpose, but I kept procrastinating on applying it until it was too late. I did apply a wax end grain sealer but maybe it didn't do the job or was irrelevant without the surface oils.

Ah, yeah, I can see where that might be the issue.
Maybe do a few test pieces in your chosen treatment and leave them out for a few weeks before rebuilding the whole thing again. Takes a little longer, but less frustration in the end.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Aye this is what I suggested a few posts up, I just gotta not procrastinate on that too

Ah, so you did. Don’t mind me. Carry on!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

To be fair, they're mounting them in plaster over brick (largely fire resistant), as opposed to drywall over kindling, as is standard in the US.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

MAKE THE NOIIISE

My Apple Watch "bings" when it connects with its wireless charging base. It takes every fiber of my being to not say "make the noise" *every* *time*.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Was there not enough room to run a circular saw, maybe one of the smaller "trim saw" variants, up the board?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Can't use what you ain't got, I suppose.
Personally, I find a basic circular saw extremely handy and cheap. Ended up with two battery powered ones for trim work as well, because cordless tool "kits".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

At this point I'm half inclined to buy a thicknesser to I'm not beholden to whatever garbage people are stocking but that's perhaps a step too far.

This is how we end up with as many tools as we do. "gently caress it! I'll make the blasted thing!"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

does that include the insulation

The evergreen groverhaus.

Even if not insulated, at least you will be protected.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yah no worries, maybe I should get the thread title changed.

Maybe just add you username to the title?
Hmm... "Jaded Burnout's House Renovation." "House Renovation by Jaded Burnout." Might not help given your handle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This, exactly. I don’t care about looking cool while killing myself. Or worse, lingering health issues.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I had a "see how much poo poo I could fit on my head" contest

When I painted part of my car (so no ear protection this time.)

dreesemonkey posted:

I think I also had earbuds in so I could listen to music, but I'm don't remember.

My Ryobi earphones have a feature where they'll pass sounds under a certain, adjustable threshold from the external mics, and they also have a headphone jack. The internal speakers need an amp, though, since they're not directly in your ears. They also need to be bluetooth, but they were made before that was really common. Kind of want to take them apart and fit a BT and amp board in them. Plenty of power available from the Ryobi stick battery.

I recently saw some Howard Leight shooting ear protection that had essentially the same features as my Ryobis in a bit more compact fashion.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've got the Howard Leight muffs, and the headphone jack is useful for music in loud situations, it's not great for podcasts where you actually want to pay close attention to what's being said. Not quite enough oomph to get over the outside sounds.

Which is why I wear earbuds underneath regular muffs.

I love the Howard Leights for shooting/hunting though.

Yeah, that the same issue I have with the Ryobis.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alright hopefully this thread name will make it less confusing since it won't look so much like a renovation megathread.

Saw that! A bit less ambiguous, at least.

edit: the hell? Have those little share thingies been at the top of each page for long? First time I've noticed them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It's always so annoying that when one has to work to be able to pay for stuff, one doesn't have the time to enjoy said stuff. Or vice versa, with money. Tough to balance $$ v time some days.
The Future promised me the Jetson's 4 hour work days of pushing buttons by now. I'm immeasurably pissed at the 1% for sucking up all the $$ and not allowing that to happen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Very true, but I also have a soft spot for my clients and work more than I should. I could probably cover my expenses working two normal working weeks a month but it never seems to work out that way.

If you like what you do, more power to you!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You know what? It's called work for a reason. We work, so we can afford to do the things we really want to do. The lucky among us don't hate our jobs, but most would still rather be doing something else.
They always say that aphorism about a man who loves his work never "working", but I'm the type of personality that would begin to resent or even hate things I like to do if i *had* to do them. Friends and relatives ask me why I never became a mechanic, for example. Flat-rate exploitation aside, I would *hate* working on cars if I had to do it every day, to someone's schedule. I tolerate being a computer toucher because I at least get to be inside in the HVAC when it gets blazing hot, or annoyingly cold here in Texas (yes, it gets cold. North Texas - Dallas.)
Just try to balance the work with the other stuff, and try not to burn out on the work or the house. It's good that you've got those rest periods scheduled.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I would like to pick up a scribe tool but the ones I find seem to be either trash or £35+ which seems a lot for two pieces of wood and a sharp nail. Do you have any recommendations?

Would something like this work?
<video removed, apparently>

I'm probably going to build one, if nothing else for the large compass function.

edit: OK, dude took down the video since I watched it on Monday. Huh. It was a pretty simple compass/marking gauge.

Here's a different one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8N7necmY1U

The other one was simpler and easier to build for someone without a thousand woodworking tools already. Basically, it was a block with a hole bored to accept a length of dowel (AKA broomstick...) and slotted to the edge to allow a cinch bolt. The dowel was likewise bored and slotted with a cinch bolt to capture a pencil. The block has a sharpened length of threaded rod screwed into it. The way it's built, you use it one way as a compass, or rotate the dowel 90 degrees to use as a marking gauge. Not too different from the one above, just simpler to make.

Here's a screenshot from one of the guy's other videos:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nice solution. Pretty much exactly what I would have done.