Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I do not know of this level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93JcDqxAOK0&t=120s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like that you update enough and have enough folks interested in reading what's going on that it seems like a megathread. I enjoy reading about all the UK specific stuff like your lead gutters and plaster walls and rendering that you don't see that much in the US.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

In the US you use drywall, which is very similar to plasterboard but a slightly different formulation, and here I think we need to figure something out.

In the UK, painting directly over plasterboard is a faux pas, it's the lazy option, because the paper on it doesn't provide a nice finish. It's intended for gripping plaster, and is a bit of a rough paper. It's like painting over wallpaper; you can do it, but you can tell it's been done.

Is the paper on drywall different? Do you not get a rough finish?

Also, when we plaster over a wall that's been plasterboarded we first tape the seams, then there's enough depth of plaster (around 3-4mm) to cover the tape and the board evenly so you can't tell it's there. When you tape and skim the seams in drywall do you not wind up with slightly raised areas when it's painted? Surely the main plane of the drywall board is slighly lower than board + tape + skim?

Drywall has a surface that feels a bit like a rough paper. I think (but am not sure) that plasterboard is a little rougher. For the dents you put into drywall with nails or screws, or for fixing other irregularities you use a filler product generically referred to as mud (there's a ton of brands). After the filler dries you sand to make it flat to the drywall but you don't have to sand the drywall itself. Tape and mud on the joints works out because the drywall itself is tapered slightly on the sides, so for a full sheet you have some extra depth to add stuff. That does mean you have to add a little bit of mud to prevent from seeing the tapered edges.

The first few minutes of this Canadian DIY video makes it pretty clear how it goes with taping and gaps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHeDkMN9bQ

I've only done drywall a couple of times and the guy in that video does everything a lot more quickly with a better looking result than I did but the process is the same. As long as you're careful it will look totally flat when finished. A bad drywall job may end up with you seeing some dark circles around the nail heads after a few years but you can always paint the walls again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've seen a few techniques that work in the US too, like slightly wacky hook things that will slide under a door and rotate at the end to turn the latch.

Not that anyone's likely to break into my house that way, but yeah with the letterbox it'd be offensively easy to break in unless I put a cage around it or something.

Just get a huge ugly plastic shroud to surround the lock!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnmcRTnTNC8&t=1137s

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

So I just quickly hammered the cover back into rough shape and fully cleaned it. "Good" as "new".

That is exactly how I'd fix it. You could get a million views on youtube by using body filler and sanding and icing with a metallic flake paintjob and giving it some clickbait like "$12,000 lambo paintjob on a MICROWAVE?!?!" But I'd have done the same thing as you did :effort:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think you did well considering the density of the plants. In the US (and probably everywhere, it's what I know) there's a lot of blade attachments for weed whackers to better handle brush with. Obviously they're slightly more dangerous but if you want to give it another shot there's things from:
https://smile.amazon.com/Weed-Warrior-14867B-Push-N-Load-Blade/dp/B008D69WC0/
to
https://smile.amazon.com/Teeth-Steel-Brush-Cutter-Trimmer/dp/B007MW7IOK/

I hate yard work, though, and can totally empathize with "well I did a lot of it but now I'm going to hire someone to finish it" especially because the fall leaves have dumped a ton of biomass all over the place for me to work on. At least the squirrels are helping with the acorns so far.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Heather Papps posted:

my beekeeping mentor had his whole right calf bisected by his dad as a boy using one of these. the blade attachments are fantastic for clearing brush but also holy poo poo so dangerous.

I can't find the video but I saw an old-timer on youtube make his own weedwhacker blade out of metal pallet strapping. That seemed a bit too cavalier for me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Need another post-it.

Thursday: fill bath one teakettle at a time to get clean.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

alt.pave.the.earth

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

When I took woodworking in high school I glued up a tabletop for my big senior project. I used bar clamps across the boards. To my horror the next day they had all slid slightly back and forth so the ends weren't flush (fortunately not much vertically). I had to cut the ends flush and add on some extra pieces to make the dimensions I had originally planned. That was a real lesson in clamping for glue without any other kind of registration pins or more clamps. I feel you have a good amount of clamps and more is always good.

I'm still using the table 20+ years later so it worked out but it was never pretty.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Is the paint that looks black in photos what you're calling very very dark red? I only see red on the one photo with the lights on since they look to be red. It's looking good though, interested to see what it looks like furnished and whatnot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

After a lifetime of lifting with my legs I misjudged the weight of something and lifted it with my back, overstressing some muscle that was already weary from moving heavy things yesterday. I'm not gonna be lifting anything significant for a little while.

That sucks, but I know the feeling. I was putting a new muffler on my car last month and there's not a lot of room to work wedged way under the car with my chest squeezed under the rear axle, and so I ended up brute forcing some rusty bolts on a clamp reaching over my head in a bad position. I got the job done but I'm sure I pulled or sprained something, and it's been reminding me "hey, you're over 40, you won't be alright the next day anymore" since then and I've aggravated it a few times.

It's a good reason to take a renovation vacation, even if that involves just not moving a lot binge watching some TV.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

As long as your carpet is sensuous how can you go wrong?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Well, it's a good thing you're already jaded so you're not surprised when someone does a lovely job. I've been a little surprised doing work on my own car to find a number of mechanic special fixes done with zip ties and presumably lost hardware. I'm trying to do things right when I have to go fix something but it means a lot of waiting for stuff in the mail and it takes a lot longer because I actually am trying to fix associated problems if I see them. Perhaps the power guy would've done a better job if he was touched by softness. I love the goofy carpet marketing.

I like your organizers, I have some similar ones and I've been making an effort to put all the extra pieces from my 3d printers into them so they're not just located on some surface within three feet of the machines. I had to look up what all the broadfix things were. All of the home repairs I've helped my father with in the last 30 years have been with thin wood wedges for shims. I like the idea of plastic ones but I doubt the old man would use them because he's in his 80s.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've got a main door that opens inwards and a second thin door that opens outwards. The second door is thin glass panes that can be swapped out for screens in the summer. It's probably a regional thing for when you get cold winters but warm summers so you can have an extra barrier in the winter or a screen door in the summer if you want to let the house have air run through it.

Gee Rexxed! How come your mom lets you have two doors?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's awesome! Well, except for the wall, but I guess it was on the list of things to get to eventually, anyway.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate a dead seagull scaring effigy.
https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Seagull-Deterrent-Scare-Gulls/dp/B08268GTFK

It's even got one positive review!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

He almost bought a 3d printer last year. Now he could get one and then make a MPCNC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIGre_E2_og

Or, just buy a shapeoko:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nde92SjFhV0

Or, the Shaper Origin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZ-TvgTwfg

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So what you need is a friend who lives nearby who's got one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah it's worth an extra set of hands to move something unwieldy. I remember as a teenager moving a 2m long credenza my father owns. We had it on a furniture dolly and had just a couple of pieces of plywood we'd advance it onto like a tracked drive where the track was two pieces of plywood and the gear was me and a friend moving one ahead of the one the credenza was on. Managed to get it across the lawn that way but it wasn't very fun.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The shaper is really cool. Now you can route your own Live, Laugh, Love! wall decor. :v:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Darchangel posted:

You are both monsters.

You just need to make ironic ones. BEEP BOOP sign for the computer room. JB's Kitchen can have FOOD on one side and WOOD on the other. Only the extremely online will understand.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You were doing great before but the new equipment is making everything more impressive!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPL7KC1DEA

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Your bowling alley is going to be beautiful!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Epoxy and pigment? Awesome! Wood is looking good, I think I shared my bad glue up experience in high school and you did a much better job than I did. I still kind of blame the shop teacher but I still use the table 25 years later so it's not a big deal.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Epoxy infill looking good!

Looks great but you missed your opportunity to use a blood red pigment to give people a fun surprise.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

New tool doing work :hellyeah:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

everdave posted:

I say this with utmost respect as I have been subscribed since the first page of this but I have no idea what the hell you are doing. It seems like you have spent a month/months building a workbench? I keep reading I just don’t understand!

He's currently making stairs but it's by way of setting up tool infrastructure to make a bunch of interior furnishings. For example you can see in this post that the kitchen (which is currently also the work area) needs some cabinetry and whatnot, and I'm sure there's a lot of little things like that around the house:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also in the meantime, the dishwasher is still broken, and the repair guy doesn't know what's wrong, but at least that's a problem best solved with money.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That'll be nice this winter. I have that same carbon monoxide detector! I ordered a smoke/CO combo unit from amazon a couple of months ago to replace one that had hit its end of life date and they hadn't even shipped it two weeks later (over a week past the supposed delivery date) so I got a smoke detector and got the same CO detector separately. I'm planning to 3d print a bracket to attach it on top of the door frame so I don't have to make new holes in the wall to mount it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A box of wood and... flamers? Really? I guess it's nice to give a package to folks who may be unfamiliar with a fireplace when you sell them one. I'm spoiled living where trees fall over regularly enough that we have a big wood pile and only a bit of roof and gutter damage from branches hitting the house.

You're pretty good at art and I can read your handwriting. I can't claim the same.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Once you're done with wood that can be a good frame for your zoom meeting green screen.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've never built stairs but I'd imagine it'll be nice not having to parkour your way up there.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Really taking that Cardboard Aided Design to a new level! Really neat.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I guess colin furze got some kind of exception to put a bomb shelter beneath his shed in the UK. It's only accessible by ladder. Have you thought about getting 10 million subscribers, JB?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yes, they can. If the building has to conform to AD M2 then it needs a wheelchair accessible toilet on the main floor.

Could you make the toilet part of one of the larger rooms and then put up some freestanding privacy blockers as furniture afterwards or is that too much engineering around the issue? Having a sink in the workshop area would probably be good now and then.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Time to buy a welder! Slightly more seriously, though, I wonder if you could use some strong magnets to hold something up there. Probably more expensive than doing something more reasonable and normal.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Took a few minutes to set up my 3D printer and start a test print. I'll show you what it is in 3 days I guess.

That's a sizeable test print, venturing on the longest prints I've ever done. I know you've read the 3d printer thread but a benchy boat isn't a bad place to start and takes a couple of hours depending on infill and wall settings. Since you got a prusa it'll probably be fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Turns out, not fine. I checked on it after a couple of hours and it had started to lift at the corners, so I cancelled the print. The huge length of time turned out to be because prusaslicer defaults to 0.05mm layers despite the manual saying not to bother with anything finer than 0.1mm.

The SD card came with a bunch of test files on it and I think that boat is one of them so I may give that a go. It's not strictly the first print on the machine since they did one in the factory, but it's the first since I got it.

Yeah I print 90% of things at 0.2mm layer height since it's a good ratio of quality and speed. I generally only go to .1 (or finer although I tend to limit to .08 due to the z axis thread pitch which may or may not be some dumb cargo cult measurements) for really fine detail stuff like the RC Jeep I'm printing. It adds a lot of print time, however.

Thomas Sanladerer did a series on 3d printing basics recently that may be worth a look. Some stuff is obvious but some is not and he broke them into reasonably short segments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb-Bzf4nQdE