Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Jaded Burnout posted:

Local rental place does a weekend floor and edge sander pack for around 90 quid, surely that plus a day or so of my time and some respirator type things, can't be *that* difficult? I'm going to have to seal parts of the place myself whoever does the work. Am I that far off base?

Does that include a dust collection system? You really want a proper one(NOT a shopvac, they don't do poo poo for concrete dust) and a respirator. With just a respirator you will go through a bunch of filters and will never get all the dust cleaned up from everywhere.

Also, have you run floor Sanders before? It's not much fun and they can be a bit of handful depending on the type. I have done diy projects like this before, but I also did commercial flooring for a few years, so I have a pretty good idea what I am doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yea, those are for wood floors, not cement. Almost harder to use since it's really easy to let it sit in one place too long and make a low spot.

You need a diamond grinding stone for cement. And yea, the dust collection systems is needed, especially since inhaling cement dust is not good for you. Hell, even having done the work in the past, I would still hire someone else to do it. Especially if your walls are done. I have done some damage to walls with floor grinders. If they decide to grab, good luck holding onto it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Magnus Praeda posted:

Fire his rear end before he ruins your floor more.

Yea, get that idiot off the job site before you have to re-pour the whole thing. You can probably get away with a bit of self leveling cement to fix what he has done so far.

The other team was right to GTFO, cement dust is bad news and there is a good reason why proper dust collection systems are super expensive.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I probably missed it, but what are you using to sand the brick? We have a newly exposed chimney in my house that needs to be cleaned up a bit. I was staying away from actually sanding since I wasn't sure how it would come out, but that wall looks great. I had been chiseling off the big lumps of motor and using a stiff bristled brush to smooth it out.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

huh, might have to give that a shot since I have a random orbital in the garage. The chimney I am working on has some pretty big hunks of mortar in spots, will probably take a scraper too it first to get those down a bit.