Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Use one side for wood, the other side for pans and utensils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have had fat better results from texts for the older trades, WhatsApp for the younger ones.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Having spent time reading this thread I am tempted to leave the bare plaster up in a room and not paint, could look quite cool. JB is the rest of the house painted now?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

By volume implies you filled half the house with liquid paint, which is a bold design choice!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Is there a possibility that you don't even need the toilet? Once you have the workshop up and running you will always want more space, and if you are only a minute from the house then do you need duplicate functionality?

How are you cladding the interior walls, plasterboard? You might want to consider where you might want to hangthings and put cross braces in the studs. Or put a brace at about 140 cm off the floor all the way round - knowing that you have a heavy attachment possibility at all positions will come in useful.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Have you seen the double sided wood burners you can get? If you could have one side in the office and one side in the workshop that would be sweet.

Keep up the good work, this thread is an inspiration (and a reminder that I should update mine...)

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

You are now more informed than any builder in the UK

Were you tempted by SIPs for the construction? If I was doing a project from scratchI would definitely consider it

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

We just had a similar conundrum on another project, and we went all the way back to basics. What do we actually want to spend our time doing, and how is this change going to bring us closer to that?

If you will actually be in there doing stuff and that is what you want to spend your time doing then great. But can you do what you want to do without it. If you can already do the things you want to do, why not start doing that now rather than spending money, effort on time doing something that will enable you to do things you don't actually want to do?

Or you could explore a minimum cost design and see if it is used.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What happens if you ditch the toilet completely? They can't force you to run sewerage to the building surely?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The word you are thinking of is pedant

Agreed, actual planners are so busy with big projects that they don't give a poo poo about your (to them) hut in a yard.

JB I saw a prefab log cabin on HotUKDeals today and thought of you, seemed like a good price and reasonable to put together. Only 4 X 5 though.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah, I would rather do custom too, but a good option if you want it done in a week. Once you put some insulation in I think it would work, the roof is shingled and the windows are double glazed.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

On semi-self build prefab I saw these on facebook and it looks loving awesome for small structures. Advantages of SIPs but with more flexibility.

https://gablok.be/en/

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Do tell. I don't see another way to do it while retaining scale.

I think he means you have a 4400 dimension inside your 4000 total height?

Need to Pythagoras that poo poo.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It might not be thermally broken, but you probably aren't losing too much heat through the frame. There isn't much you can do about it I don't think. Considering the surface area you might be losing more heat through the glass overall.

Are you getting condensation on the inside?

JB when you did all your cat cables were they shielded? How did you terminate them neatly? I have done some shielded cat cable but it is a faff and probably over kill for my use case.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Insulation doesn't really stick very well to things most of the time I think. You could try sticking wood strips to the metal to form a surface flush with the bottom flange, and then screwing insulated plasterboard to that. You can get wood/metal adhesive that works really well, and if you get the wood strips the right width they will friction fit as well.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have seen some builders using cleaned out paint buckets (the big plastic ones contract Matt comes in). Ice cream tubs for small amounts.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Why are you bothering to go for solid wall insulation then not insulating the floors? I read a study that batt insulation is better irl for cavity, because solid is so reliant on method while batt is much more forgiving.

Email looks good!

could have asked for more breakdown on the first item - normal to have a break point after foundations because of the inspection at that point.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The builders are going to turn up with a container load of 100mm celotex, may as well get 3 more sheets and do the floor imo

Means that it could be used as a granny flat by any buyers, which is a selling point considering you would have to be pretty cold to put olds in a nursing home right now

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah, but easier to just take that layer between the beam and block and screed and turn it into insulation.

And if you insulate under the blocks then they will be inside the insulated envelope and be a thermal bridge to the walls. Still better than having a full floor thermal bridge though.

If it isn't coming across, I loving love insulation

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Rotozips seem to be more of a US thing than UK. because we generally skim everywhere neatness around sockets is less of a concern.

That said my major bug bear is bad plastering around light sockets.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

HAHA that is a nuts, probably not including VAT

What the gently caress steels are you having? Do they mean catnic lintels?

Just dig the trenches your self, supervise the pour then find a brickie to throw up the structure in a week. You could probably do it for 6K, then roof it yourself (you've got the gear already).

Andy (Gosforth Handyman on youtube) is literally doing this now, check out his most recent videos.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

He will have priced it on a £ per m2 on his normal rate based on extensions in the area. The value of an extension job is far higher because it raises the house price a lot, and the builder can essentially take a cut of the price increase rather than going to the bother to actually calculate the cost to him of labour and materials, plus his time, plus his profit. That works with extensions, because everyone is doing it on mortgages anyway. Good luck getting him to budge on price, builders are really busy at the moment and if he doesn't get his £3k a week profit from you he will get it on the extension round the corner.

If you want to ACTUALLY know what the cost is, send the plans to an estimating service like HBXL, that will tell you what the mat costs are, and I think they do a per diem labour cost estimate.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sounds positive anyway, good job. Are you going fully flat roof or monopitch?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I think most will do epdm on OSB or similar. We don't really get felt tiles like in the us, but considering the horror stories in the construction thread that is for the best. I suppose you *could* slate it but the expense and extra weight is up to you.

I came across this site, seems pretty good for insulation:
https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/kingspanshop

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Well duh he's a builder

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Good job, those boards and weathering nicely. Are you going to build a deck to match?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

There are things in the papers about Brexit meaning there is a hospitality staff shortage but there were a lot of skilled trades coming from Europe too, so perhaps that is causing some issues as well as the "holy poo poo if I have to look at this kitchen for another lockdown I'll kill myself" epidemic.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Congrats?

The cheapest option is to coerce someone else into helping you carry them.

I would stump up for the OSB, you are going to need some for the workshop roof anyway so buy a couple of spares. Worth doing it right rather than wrecking your decent gear to save 50 quid.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Are the structural UK timber grades (c24 etc) used in Europe or are you going to have to convert? Might be a pain... There are so many companies building these garden rooms that I think if you do it to a decent standard and don't put it too close to the boundary that you fail fire regs you will be fine.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What was the reason for not doing foundations and a slab? I seem to remember you have access for a mini digger and you can rent one for a hundred quid and dig it all out, plus your services trench, and level the garden all in one hit. You can also dig further and French drain your footings which means you might be able to bring your dpc lower, giving you more headheight.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Classic first day turnup, you won't see them for a week.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah there is a nationwide shortage of greenhouses due to everyone growing due to pandemic, chuck it up on Facebook. Hell I would be up for it but my project list for significantly longer today so I can't add anything else until autumn.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The moire effect on that is stunning. Good job, what did you use for the sheeting? And how are you dealing with the door flap? I have a small plastic one I got for 20 quid, the zips went almost immediately.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Get a steering wheel lock and maybe a wheel lock as well, transit customs get targeted by theives a lot from what I heard.

Congrats, that is really cool!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

One of my mates got done by the speaker scam. Same friend fell asleep in a strip club and they ran his card for 4k, so he is not a good decision maker.

I would love a van, but I would stress about damaging a new one. My current auto is ok but I have taken what value it had off it by chucking wood and rubbish in it.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

If you are thinking of using those old floor boards as flooring don't bother just get t and g chipboard.

How do you not already have a trade account with all the merchants?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah unless you desperately need stuff immediately I would wait a month. I bought some boards to finish the play house that I'm building because it is a birthday present, but they were not cheap.

I haven't had any issues with mdf mouldings, just get the pre primed because it saves you time and means they are less likely to swell. Store fully supported and flat or you end up with banana architraves...

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yep mdf is pretty sturdy. The other thing to bear in mind is that you will need to repaint skirts once every few years, and it isn't a big job. So filling and sanding back and dents won't be a big deal. I wouldn't use them in a high humidity area like a wet room, but for residential circulation areas they are fine.

I installed mine and then did all the paint coats, but there is definitely an argument for doing at least one coat of paint before installation to save your knees.

It is absolutely amazing what a difference skirts and arch s can make to the look and feel of a room.

If you haven't done it before when you do the skirts always to the most difficult cut first, make sure it is right, then cut to length. That way if you messed up your scribing you can just redo it, rather than potentially ruining a length.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Can you do a kitchen/workshop overview? Are you using the table saw as a dining table? Did you ever build a counter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Your best bet is start fitting it all asap to get rid of it, the longer you have it hanging around the more likely it is to bend (I have an mdf architrave in the garage that has a full foot of deviation).