Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Glad that you are feeling better.

Edit: I guess this filler post was unneeded. Oh well :j:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Part 05: Der Doppelgänger

------

Last time, we committed several acts of vandalism around the school in order to break the horrible, face-melting emblem curse. However, the curse remains in effect despite our clock-smashing efforts, and right now we need to figure out what went wrong.

Ah yes, that. Looks like the clock tower is going to be our next destination.

As principal, everyone must obey my orders. Do you hear me? You will treat MY Seven Sisters High with respect!

I suppose we have no choice, if the principal says so... Come on, everyone. The emblem hunt is over. Let's start cleaning up.

Right on cue, the three bandaged students in the room begin cleaning. The principal has somehow brainwashed them as well as Ms. Saeko.

Anyway, don't we have a big clock to go break?

Wait a sec, Chinyan. Isn't the clock tower always locked? I say we find the key first. It's probably in the teacher's lounge somewhere. Let's try asking the teachers about it.

Let's do that. Might as well start with Ms. Saeko, although I don't know if that's going to help after what just happened.

It really makes me mad for some reason, but that bald buf--I mean, err... Y-You like principal Hanya too, right, Tatsuya?

Oh, absolutely. The man is basically my hero. That didn't get us any closer to finding the key, so let's try the other teachers.

Mr. Aishi: The principal took the key that was here in the lounge. The janitor should have the other one! Hahaha! I see! How marvelous!

I guess we're heading back to the janitor's room downstairs, after we talk to everyone here again.

Mr. Oriri: Oh, and since Lisa's with you... Her grades in English are horrible! Tell her she needs to take it more seriously!

Hm. Maybe if Tatsuya tells her that, she doesn't immediately kick him in the face. Eikichi would definitely get murdered.

Bandaged male student: Th-This is tough... I shouldn't have been so sloppy... Not even I could have predicted this turn of events!

Bandaged male student #2: Tch... If the principal commands it, we've got no choice. You better help clean up, too.

Oh, we'll clean up, all right.

Ms. Saeko would never blindly obey like this. She's the kind of lady who'd punch a minister if she thought she had to.

I-I know what I said before, but shouldn't we help with the cleanup? We need to obey our beloved Principal... No! No, no, NO! Aaagh, my head's a complete mess! Kaumena! Someone help!

Looks like Hanya is starting to worm his way inside Lisa's head as well, but at least she's managing to resist the brainwashing for now. That said, we need to get a move on and finish this before things get worse.

We're supposed to be heading straight back down to the janitor's room, although... guess what? Yes, all the dialog in the classrooms has reset, and everyone has new things to say! That can also go into the bonus :words: update because otherwise we'll be here all week, but here's a summary of the most relevant stuff:

- In 2-C, Lisa hears Sheba and Mee-ho were looking for her, but she doesn't have time for them right now and decides to leave them alone. She also gets in another spat with Yoko in 3-B.

- In 3-D, one of the students mentions the scar on Tatsuya's back (which we didn't even know about) and the rumors about it. They seem to think he got stabbed in a fight at some point. Also in 3-D, the horror-loving girl has another story about Tatsuya Sudou, the rumored serial arsonist: "Rumor has it he was taken away by men in black because he kept making a huge fuss about hearing alien voices." Maya also has another freakout over the arson case. I really wish this stuff wasn't so easy to miss or such a pain in the rear end to get to (remember, we've still got constant random battles as we're walking around). :saddowns:

Right, here we are again.

Um, we'd like to borrow the key to the clock tower.

Janitor: Hm? Key?

Hai! The key to the clock tower! You have it, right, grandpa?

Janitor: The clock tower key... Hmm, where did I put it?

Alright, gramps! Breathe deep and try to remember with me where you put it.

Who knows when this guy'll remember... It'd be faster to look ourselves.

What? Did she find the key already?

Oh. Yeah, it certainly is.

The old man isn't going to be of any help here, that much is obvious.

Geez! Have these futons been aired out this decade!? I don't see any key here.

The caretaker, who seems to be taking her job rather casually, isn't going to help us here either.

Okay then. Well, there's that box to Tatsuya's right, so might as well check that out.

Emergencies. Yes. Let's go with that.

Doesn't seem like the key is in any of the cabinets or boxes. Where the hell did he put that thing?

Oh man... Then what should we do?

By the way, gramps. I keep wondering... What's that?

Janitor: Hm? Why, it looks like a key.

Uhh... The tag on it says... Clock... Tow...er...

Oh, come on. Really? Eh, whatever. All's well that ends well, I guess.

Now, before we proceed to the clock tower, we can re-enter the janitor's room for... yes, new dialog!

Janitor: Huh... So it was around my neck... It's no picnic, getting old. By the way, did you find the key you were looking for?

Helloooo...? Wai Wai? We told you already, we found the key. It was hanging on your neck! Like this! Remember!?

Yep, we found the key, Gramps... Soooo... About that box... Aaaah, forget it! I can't bring myself to ask!

Well, now we can get into the clock tower. Question is, what's that principal going to do next? We should be careful, Tatsuya-kun.

That Hamya has a key too, right? So I'll get to see him at last... It's been three years, so I gotta make this count. Heheheheh...

When we approach the stairs to 4F, Lisa suddenly gets worried about what's coming up. When one of your party members says something like this in a dungeon, that's generally a sign that you really want to save the game because a boss fight is right around the corner. Persona 2 doesn't actually have save points, and you can usually save anywhere in a dungeon (with an exception or two) or on the overworld map. This feature helps make the grind a lot more manageable since you never have to worry about dying right at the end of a dungeon crawl and having to repeat an hour of gameplay.

There is nothing of interest on 4F except for the entrance to the clock tower, so let's get in there and lift this curse once and for all.

VIDEO: Inside the Clock Tower

Looks like Mr. Hanya's not here, either. Let's hurry and break the big clock so we can get outta here.

But that feeling a moment ago... What was it...?

What's the matter? Is there something on my face...?

U-U-Undie Boss! B-Behind! Behind you!

...Huh?

I said... that time... must not be set free... I said it... so often...

The ghost fades away as suddenly as he had appeared. It seems he did not want "time to be set free", which must be referring to this clock that is now working again for some strange reason. Why? Who knows.

...seen him before?

More deja vu, which has become a bit of a running theme by this point.

Ugh... Hamya!? Look, up there!

Well, we at least seem to have found the principal, if nothing else.

Oh yeah, and him as well.

MUSIC: Joker Theme
PS1 / PSP

The emblem curse and everyone acting weird is all because you teamed up with Joker, isn't it!? Fess up!

Foolish girl! How dare you? The "emblem curse" is a divine punishment brought on by the students' poor conduct! You fools forget that you're students and waste your lives worrying about dating and fashion! You brought this curse on yourselves! Though I didn't think the rumor Cuss High started would come true... But if they'd make a wish to Master Joker, the students' faces would return to normal in no time. Not only that, but following Master Joker is the essence of having a chance at a fulfilling life!

So what did he give you!?

Hahaha! Me, you ask? My wish was to become a principal beloved by his students... As well as this fine mane you now see!

Joker! Weren't you out for revenge on us!? What's the point in granting a stupid geezer's wish!?

The seven Pleiades set the frozen time free...

The Pleiades... Seven Sisters. Frozen time being set free... the clock starting up again. There must be a purpose for all of this.

This is between myself, the Giver, and you, the Thief... A battle with Tatsuya Suou for my dream! I'll never let you destroy my dream again... I won't make the same mistake twice!

Okay, seriously. What did we ever do to him?

Time is free again... Heed the sound of the bells that toll for your dreams!

We're not getting an answer from him today, it seems. Joker disappears in a ball of energy once more, leaving behind another flower. This one is some type of achillea, which -- according to the key items menu -- represents war. We have no time to look into the language of flowers right now, though, because Principal Hanya is still around and not particularly pleased with us.

Hanya drops down onto the gears, and we can see he's wielding an absolutely gigantic wrench. At least I think that's a wrench, it's sometimes hard to tell with these PS1/PSP graphics.

Gah! Get out of our way!

Come, fools! This tower will be your detention room! Glory to the Mask!

MUSIC: Boss Battle
PS1 / PSP

This fight is in the video I linked at the start of the cutscene. It's not the most exciting watch ever, but at least it should give you a good idea how the battle system in Persona 2 works.

Right. Let's do this. We'll start by analyzing him.

Well, that's helpful. At least we find out he's level 7, one level higher than our party is right now. That isn't a big deal at all.

If you look at the turn order, you can see I've got Mega Blaze ready to go while Maya and Eikichi do whatever (in this case, Dia and Straight Slash respectively). Hanya goes first, however, and starts things off with Chill Drill.

Not only that, but he's actually got a Persona. This is Hannya, a jealous female demon commonly seen in Noh theater (and also on Goro Majima's back). "Hannya" is also Hanya's nickname in the Japanese version, but it got changed to "Hamya" for the western releases because Atlus probably didn't expect overseas audiences to be familiar with references to traditional Japanese theater.

Chill Drill does ice and havoc damage. Havoc is basically just another type of physical damage, generally involving the demon using some part of its body (claws, teeth, that drill on Hannya's head) to attack opponents.

One slight problem here is that Yukino got frozen and can't act on this turn, so there goes that fusion spell. Jerks. :argh:

Hanya/Hannya is extremely weak to fire. Any fire spell we use does double damage to him, like Agi did here.

Whatever Drill is another Havoc attack, luckily with no added status effects.

For some reason, possibly because it got interrupted by Hannya's drill freezing Yukino, Mega Blaze is on standby mode and doesn't fire automatically in this fight. I could've set it back to Auto, but sort of forgot.

This is not a difficult fight, although you may still struggle if you really don't know what you're doing, are underleveled, or don't know how fusion spells work. Even then, you should be able to wear him down with fire spells quite nicely.

Occasionally, Hanya will hit us with his wrench, doing negligible physical damage. We can also see he's low on health at this point, as he's slumped down onto his knees.

Let's just finish him off with one more Mega Blaze spell.

Whaaat?

Defeating a boss gives us a ton of EXP and money. Looks like Maya and Yukino were still at level 5 before the fight, but that clearly wasn't a problem despite the fact I hadn't upgraded their armor at all.

*intense rumbling*

Careful, everyone! It's collapsing!

Bits start to fall from the ceiling, and one of the gears collapses as well. Most importantly, though, the large clock also comes crashing down. Hopefully that didn't land on anyone outside... :ohdear:

We seem to be doing okay.

Looks like Hanya's still standing as well. He's pretty tough, I'll give him that.

Hanya proceeds to flip us off and jump off the clock tower. This is also in the video, don't worry.

Who knows? What matters here is that we took him out and destroyed the big clock. That means the emblem curse should be lifted, right? Oh yeah, and then there's this achillea flower Joker left behind.

MUSIC: Maya Theme (Sad)
PS1 / PSP

He reminds me somehow of Tatsuya-kun... I feel like I know him from somewhere.

"Why do you mimic my lovesickness,
That tormented me at this place
For so many nights in the past?"

Err... Is this really the time for 19th century German poetry?

The rest of the party doesn't seem too impressed by Maya's impromptu poetry reading either.

I have! The poem was written by Heinrich Heine and appeared in one of his poetry collections, but the title Der Doppelgänger actually came from Franz Schubert when he set the poem to music some years later.

Oh, no! I just thought there were some similarities. Ah, ignore me, Tatsuya-kun.

Tatsuya ignores her and plays with the lighter again.

MUSIC: Seven Sisters High School B

Think positive, guys! You have to, at times like this. We're not out of leads just yet. Let's chase the rumors! They'll surely lead us straight to Joker.

Hey, that's a great idea! Hamya did say that the "emblem curse" was started by some students from Cuss High.

Whoa there! There's no one at Kasugayama High whom the great Michel knows of that would start such a rumor. We'd be wasting our time checking it out. If we're gonna search, let's start somewhere else.

Well, the editor of our school paper is looking for info on Joker and rumors. Maybe she's found something by now. We can probably find Kozy at Peace Diner in Yumezaki. How about it?

Sounds like a plan. Next stop: Peace Diner in Yumezaki. Before we can go anywhere, though, a student barges in through the door.

Female student: W-Wait... Was he here when the clock tower was collapsing? No... He's not dead, is he!?

Hard to say, really, but...

...Sure, why not. We didn't like the guy, but we didn't really want him dead either.

I'll bet.

All right then, that's where we'll stop for now. Next time, we'll head on over to Yumezaki and find out if Kozy has come up with any new leads.

------

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 7, 2017

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Man, just noticed how juiced Tatsuya's SP was. I forgot just how fast that gap grew if you really laser focused on magic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yukino you fool!

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Will you be posting attempted negotiations with bosses in the bonus dialogues?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

AmyL posted:

Will you be posting attempted negotiations with bosses in the bonus dialogues?
To be honest, I've never thought to try and negotiate with a boss in this game, so this is the first I hear of there being unique dialog for that as well (but of course there is, this is Persona 2 after all). That stuff isn't in PeaceDiner's script either, but I'll try to remember to show it off later on. If/when I end up doing the bonus :words: update with all the school dialog I missed, I guess I can also find out what Hanya says if you try to negotiate with him in the boss fight.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 8, 2017

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Does Lisa really get called 'Ginko' in the menus for the rest of the game? Is there any way to stop that?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

serefin99 posted:

Does Lisa really get called 'Ginko' in the menus for the rest of the game? Is there any way to stop that?
She does, and as far as I know there is no way to stop it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Doc Morbid posted:

She does, and as far as I know there is no way to stop it.

Wow, that is... really stupid and kinda annoying.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

serefin99 posted:

Wow, that is... really stupid and kinda annoying.
Yeah, I always assumed it was a nickname she went by and was okay with or made light of, but here it seems just like in Disgaea where they started calling Vyers Mid-Boss instead, and that just stuck. It worked there because that was a parody game but in a game that takes itself more seriously than that one, I expected better. Then again, both this game and Eternal Punishment are a lot sillier than I remember.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I mean Silver Girl doesn't sound like a half bad nickname. I'm not sure what she's complaining about.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sorry about the delay, been busy with real life bullshit. I'm putting together the next update right now, should be done in a day or two.

Don't do two SSLPs at once, kids, that's a really bad idea. :downs:

edit: two days, two weeks, what's the difference. I didn't realize it's been quite that long since I posted this.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 12, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Materant posted:

I mean Silver Girl doesn't sound like a half bad nickname. I'm not sure what she's complaining about.

given how she reacted to her dad, she doesn't want a cutesy Japanese nickname.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

given how she reacted to her dad, she doesn't want a cutesy Japanese nickname.
That too, but I assumed it was also reference to ginkgo trees, whose leaves turn bright yellow, a shade that resembles her hair. Which still might give one cause to dislike it because the main thing I associate with ginkgo trees is the fruit they drop that smells like death warmed-over.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rangpur posted:

That too, but I assumed it was also reference to ginkgo trees, whose leaves turn bright yellow, a shade that resembles her hair. Which still might give one cause to dislike it because the main thing I associate with ginkgo trees is the fruit they drop that smells like death warmed-over.

I'm pretty sure that's a false cognate, they aren't pronounced the same.

You're right about those trees being awful though. Bleah.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Part 06: Club Zodiac

------

Last time, we discovered Principal Hanya was in cahoots with Joker and fought him, after which he jumped off the clock tower. We also destroyed the large clock, finally breaking the emblem curse so that should hopefully mean nobody's face is going to be melting anymore.

We're meant to be heading to Peace Diner and meet Kozy there, in the hope that she's found some new leads for us to follow. Let's get to it.

Despite the fact we defeated the dungeon boss and everybody's back to normal, random encounters keep occurring in the school hallways and remain frequent as ever. There is a story explanation for this, as Joker told us his demons would hunt us wherever we go, but it's still annoying especially if you want to explore and talk to everyone.

Team manager: They loaded him into an ambulance to go to the hospital, but I think it might've been better if they look him to a mechanic.

They're still pretty casual about the fact this one guy turned into a cyborg.

Female student: *sniffle* The curse has been lifted, but that dastardly Boss is still here... I bet he's going to try something funny with me... *sob*

See that, Tatsuya? Kittycat's so grateful for my help that she's in tears. Sorry, babe. I know how strong your feelings for me are, but I gotta go... Adios!

Lisa's Cantonese lesson #11! "Hoisamuro" means to be happy! I use it sometimes instead of saying "Yay!"

That big clock's stopped for good. I hope that puts the ghost's mind to rest. He shouldn't be chained down by worries in death like that.

Did you sense it too, Tatsuya-kun? That Joker boy was definitely crying... Such solitude and anxiety...

"That Joker boy," huh...? If nobody knows who Joker is, why do I kep referring to him that way...?

Female student: One of us... I-I mean--I feel bad about what happened to the principal, but I'm glad the curse is lifted.

Female student #2: So, like, the curse is gone? And I'm totally cute again? I'm super lucky and junk.

Male student: The curse is lifted! It's all thanks to the principal! He's nothing like SOME people here who are all talk. Isn't that so, Senpai?

Male student #2: Did you hear the rumor that they sell real armor at the Rosa Candida at Lotus? I heard it from a friend of a friend. There's some guy called Toro who knows more about it. But isn't Rosa Candida a boutique? Sounds fishy to me...

Gaaaah! I can't stand this guy any longer! Transfer the son of a bitch to my school right now and I'll straighten him out myself!

Hey, Tatsuya? You think the Undie Boss is sincere about being a leader? Guys like him are pretty rare these days.

Setting an example is a lot harder than it looks. He may not seem like it, but I'm sure he's been through a lot.

1-D and 1-C were the only classrooms I visited at this point, because I really didn't relish the idea of fighting through the entire school again just to see a bit of extra dialog. I checked the script to see if anyone in the other classrooms said anything interesting, and the answer turned out to be "not really". I did visit the courtyard, though:

It's possible that no one can stop it now. You should all be prepared!

Is that big rock a Hiremon Stone? We had something like it back at St. Hermelin too... Huh? It's the Narurato Stone? Really... I guess it does seem different from the one I remember... It creeps me out a little.

Hey, Tatsuya-kun... Doesn't that teacher look like she knows something? I asked to interview her, but she brushed me off.

Ms. Ideal is my homeroom teacher, but some of the stuff she says is way out there. I guess you could say she has some screws loose.

That lady's called Ms. Ideal, right? She seems like a pretty weird teacher. Like she'd be more at home as an archaeologist... or a ninja.

Before we head to Peace Diner in Yumezaki, let's just pay a quick visit to Gatten Sushi. We've heard a couple of rumors, so maybe we can get something out of Toro the rumormonger. Preferably something that isn't his Persona, which as we saw in Persona 1's Snow Queen questline is a horrifying dick monster.

The rumor is that Rosa Candida sells real armor. They have reasonable prices, but low-quality stuff.

Eh, we're not going to be spreading that one around. We don't need any of that crappy stuff. Welp, let's get going and get to that Peace Diner already.

Young man: Mu, the hottest amusement center. Giga Macho, a record store with a recording studio. Anima Mundi, home of the latest fashions. A guy my age could easily spend an entire day here and never get bored. And the girls here... Whew! Heheheh.

Great, thanks.

Working woman: Oh, you weren't? Haha, sorry about that, then. That reminds me, do you go to Cuss High? Because I saw a group of Cuss High kids going into Zodiac a moment ago. Do you know what they're up to in there?

Can't say we do, but that seems like something potentially worth investigating.

Man: By the way, are you from Kasugayama High? This place is usually packed with Sevens kids, but I rarely see them anymore.

Interesting, but Peace Diner awaits.

There's a couple of new stores for us to check out in Yumezaki, but we'll have plenty of time for that later.

MUSIC: Peace Diner
PS1 / PSP

Well, drat. Wonder where she went.

Huh...? Oh yeah, you're on Kozy's newspaper staff... Umm... Chikarin?

You know she is important because she has a portrait and... what's going on with her hair? Are those feathers?

Chika Ueda
A writer for Sevens' school paper, also known as Rumormonger Chikarin. She's scatterbrained but excels at digging up scoops.

Perfect timing! Have you seen Kozy?

Ah, thanks for reminding me! I was looking into the emblem curse with Kozy-senpai. She found out the Cuss High guys who spread the rumor about the disease were at Zodiac, so she went to infiltrate the club and talk to them.

Pffft... "Infiltrate"? I didn't know Fatty had it in her to pull off a stealth mission.

Hey! Pay attention, Undie Boss! Sounds like it was Cuss High students who spread the rumor about that disease!

There's no way my guys would stoop to that! I didn't teach 'em to be cowards! Fatty must have gotten some bad info!

But even Hanya said Cuss High did it! That's two witnesses now! Are you still gonna try and play dumb!?

Yeah, at this point I think even Eikichi should accept something dodgy is going on at Kasu High. Even if he's the Boss or whatever, even he can't know for sure what every single Kasugayama student has been up to.

Alright, that's enough. We get the point. Let's just go to Zodiac and learn the truth for ourselves. And if Cuss High students started the rumor, we'll have Eikichi set them straight. Okay?

Zodiac's that club not far from here, right? Well, shall we head on over?

We probably should do that, yeah. First off, let's just chat with a couple of folks around here.

Kazuya: 'Course I heard. Rumor has it he's stronger than the old Boss. Man, things sure are changing at Cuss High.

That's something that Eikichi should probably be aware of.

If you tell me what you know, I'll do the same for you. Deal?

Right, let's see if Chikarin has some sweet info for us.

Oh, THAT rumor! Roger! But tell me what you know first. Say what? Tamaki at the detective agency is actually a Devil Summoner? What the heck is that? No, wait, don't tell me! I'll find out through my web of contacts! Alright, here's what I've got in return. If you win the magazine sweepstakes, you get real weapons and items. I hear it's easy to win, but the prizes are kinda lame.

Ehh. Pass. Let's ask about the Mu rumor.

Wow, can I join? Oh, but what if he pulls down my pants? F-Forget it!

I'm pretty sure he only does that to guys (that's how he became Boss, after all... somehow), so she should be all right.

Cool, that might be something we can use. Anyway, time to blow this joint and go to Zodiac, so we can see what's going on with Kozy.

MUSIC: Club Zodiac

Well, here we are. There are some stores around here, but they're all closed.

Doesn't matter, really, since we're only interested in the club itself. Let's get in there, shall we?

Looks like she still hasn't given up on Anna Yoshizaka...

Noriko: Sister, no! You can't keep that up or it'll ruin your health even worse! Then you'll never run again...

We could've learned about Anna and her accident earlier on, but this serves as a decent enough introduction as well and we find out everything we need to.

Noriko: You idiot!

Noriko realizes she isn't getting through to her sister, and storms off.

...Who're you?

Me? I'm Yukino Mayuzumi. Just... an apprentice photographer.

...And why are you getting in my business? Take a hike, will you?

You should take the advice people give you. You're the one who'll regret it if you don't.

Wow, that's stupid.

That could've gone slightly better.

...It wouldn't change anything. I hate annoyances like this.

Anna walks off. Doesn't seem like she wants anyone's help, really.

MUSIC: Evil Moves

Cuss High student: You mopes are Sevens students, yeah? Better head straight home after school or your scaaary principal's gonna get ya!

That's enough, everyone! I think we all need to be shinier, happier people here. You don't want to make me mad, do you?

Cuss High student: M-M-Michel-san!?

Cuss High student: Wh-Who gives a drat about you anymore!? No one'll listen to you! You're not our Boss no more!

What...? You want to repeat that, you worthless punk!?

Cuss High student: We got a new Leader! And he's way, WAY stronger than any Boss! All your cronies at Cuss High have switched sides for our new Leader, Sugimoto-san!

What? All of a sudden? Eikichi clearly had no idea any of this was happening.

Quit joking around!

Eikichi decides the best way to get these guys in line is to start summoning Rhadamanthus, which may be slightly overkill.

All the students run off, except this one guy here.

Cuss High student: I-It's the rumor going around! I just heard everyone say that "Cuss High's new Leader is stronger than the Boss!"

So there's a new head honcho right under the old one's nose...? Doesn't that sound a little sudden? Sounds like the result of another rumor... Maybe that Sugimoto's in league with Joker too.

It's sure possible. There's no way he could take over an entire school that quick without something up his sleeve.

Eikichi finally lets go of the student.

From what I understand, that rumor started at Cuss High. Do you know anything about it?

Cuss High student: We spread that rumor 'cause the Leader told us to! He said he'd throw mud on Sevens' reputation 'cause he hated 'em...

Kehhei! What's up with that!? Why would this Hiroki guy have such a grudge against our school!?

We'll just have to ask him in person! Hey! Where's Hiroki now?

Cuss High student: H-H-He's here, at the secret lounge further in...

A secret lounge!? I'll smack the smile off that cocky bastard's face!

Eikichi bolts towards the door, planning to kick the poo poo out of Hiroki.

Hey, was there a girl called Kozy here? She was investigating the emblem curse rumor too.

Cuss High student: I don't know no Kozy. Though there was this girl, said her name was Miyabi Hanakouji, who went to see our Leader...

WHAT!? Did you just say Miyabi Hanakouji? Hanakouji-san went to see Hiroki!?

I... I gotta go!

Wait, Eikichi-kun! It's too dangerous to go alone!

Eikichi doesn't care and proceeds to walk through the door on his own. Somehow, he still hasn't realized Kozy and Miyabi are the same person either.

Well, Undie Boss aside, we can't turn our backs on Kozy. We should go after him!

We'll do exactly that, right after we talk to everybody. We're now down to four party members, and we'll have to do with them until we find Eikichi.

Young woman: There must be some kind of special qualification to get in, right? I wonder if I'm eligible... I want to go so bad!

Just like with Hanya, Sugimoto's followers occasionally get these moments when they're not quite sure why they like him in the first place. Of course, they can't do anything about it because Joker's power is so strong.

Young woman: That reminds me, a group of Cuss High students headed upstairs a moment ago... Wonder if their new Leader was with them.

Employee: I wonder if the rumor about the maze on the second floor is true... I hear there's good stuff up there, but I can't go on my own.

Maze? Oh, loving hell. I can see where this is going, and it's not great.

If she was going out with him like Undie Boss said, wouldn't she want him to know? Maybe he was lying about her.

Well, we did hear Eikichi describe the Miyabi he knew as "slim", which as we know isn't really the case anymore. One could assume that might have something to do with her reacting the way she did.

Indeed. We ought to do something about that.

Next time, we'll enter the dreaded maze behind Club Zodiac and try to find Eikichi before he does something dumb.

------

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 13, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Glad to see this back again! P2 is my favorite of the series and I wish you the best with the LP! :shobon:

I do like how Yukino and Maya are totally on the ball here. Maya instantly realizes the danger of the rumor of the Leader being stronger than the Boss and is concerned for Eikichi. Meanwhile, Yukino sees a young woman who must've been a lot like her in high school and wants to help Anna just like how she was helped by Ms. Saeko.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Part 07: What Makes a Man

------

Last time, we entered Club Zodiac and discovered that the new Leader of Kasugayama High is some guy called Sugimoto. Sugimoto is apparently working with Joker just like Principal Hanya was, and upon hearing these news (and also the fact Miyabi Hanakouji went to Sugimoto's hideout to look for him) Eikichi ran off into the maze behind Club Zodiac on his own. That's where we are now, so let's find that idiot before he does something even dumber than usual.

The little Xaphans resist fire damage, but crucially they don't block it. Neither does anything else in this dungeon, so we can still Mega Blaze our way through with ease.

Zodiac staff: If you forgot yours, there should be extras somewhere. Look around, you'll find 'em.

Yes, we... forgot ours. That's it. Thankfully, this Zodiac employee helps us out by informing us that we can find masks somewhere in the maze. Say what you will about the monsters and all that, but at least the customer service at Zodiac is pretty decent.

Zodiac isn't a very long nor very interesting dungeon. It has three floors, and it's really just a pretty uneventful and extremely red maze. There are some new enemies, at least, such as these Harpies.

Hm, someone seems to have spilt their drink. Those are actually damage tiles, so we don't want to walk over them.

You can find some items on 2F if you look around, although for the most part they're not too great.

Maybe this is where we can find ourselves some masks.

I used to come here about as often as I came to school. When did this city get so messed up...?

Eikichi's not here either. Won't he be in trouble if we don't hurry and go after him?

A gathering...? I wonder what that's about. It seems like someone summoned them here... I don't like the sound of this.

Masked man: It was a shock to find that summons at the bottom of my boxed lunch. Feels like I'm being watched.

Masked woman: I totally had a summons in my purse too, yesterday? I was like, is someone stalking me? It was totally creepy and stuff? But part of the deal was to come to the gatherings so I'm not turned to one of those thingies, so...?

I assume they wouldn't be very receptive to handing their masks over to us, so we'll leave them to their conversation and continue along on our way.

Oh hey, something actually useful.

On the north wall of 2F is another door, this one leads to Trish's Spring. If you played Persona 1, you know who Trish is and what she does, but I suppose we might as well pay her a visit even though we don't actually need to do so right now.

MUSIC: Trish's Spring

Is she really a fairy? She's more devious than your average demon.

Yukino was around in Persona 1, of course, so she knows all about Trish's healing spring and why you should never use her services unless it's an extreme emergency (like if you're out of healing supplies and/or status-curing items for some reason). In Persona 2, you need her healing even less than in the first game, but I suppose it's nice that the option is there (provided you can afford it, obviously).

This world runs on give-and-take! Hey, wait! Is this your first time here? Then I better introduce myself. Name's Trish. This is my fountain of healing. I'll treat your wounds!

Not for free, of course. This world runs on give-and-take. Give me money and I'll take away your pain!

I'm not that sure if making people pay through the rear end for healing counts as a good deed.

Come with a few good wounds next time. Oh, but don't die. Come wounded, but not dying!

We will try not to see her again if we can help it. Anyway, that's all the interesting stuff on 2F, so let's make our way to the next floor.

And here's our "yo, might wanna save the game" warning again.

Naturally, we're not going to get past this guy in our current maskless state, so let's go and find those masks already.

On the way, we'll have exciting conversations with some demons. This Phantom has a very snazzy hat.

Right, time to see if there's anything useful in this staff room.

Masked young man: You got a card from the Lady, right? If you don't have a mask, you won't be able to get into the secret lounge.

Card? Erm... Yes, of course, what kind of idiots do they take us for?

One of my old pals was a whiz with a katana, but you're not bad yourself. Bet you're pretty handy with your fists too, huh?

Sure, why not.

This conversation unlocks a new negotiation option for Tatsuya and Yukino, although I don't recall ever needing to use it.

Hmm... I'm worried about Eikichi-kun, too. Hopefully we can find a way into this secret lounge...

Maya and Ginko are both worried about Eikichi in their own way.

Excellent. We'll take a look at the box in a minute, right after we talk to the other masked person in the room.

All right, let's see now...

Jackpot. I guess the others don't need their own masks?

Not that Tatsuya's sprite has changed in any way either. Still, we're technically wearing masks now, so maybe the doorman will let us in this time.

Can't wait!

Apparently, this "wild dance" consists of four guys kicking the everliving crap out of Eikichi in the middle of the dance floor.

Oh man, check it out! The Boss! What're you holdin' your stomach for? Gotta take a poo poo? Want me to drop your drawers for you?

Easy there! You know what's gonna happen to this chick if you bring out your death spirit, right...?

Eikichi gets up for a second, but then the Cuss High students start kicking him again.

Cuss High student: What's with your "I won't allow any bullying of the weak" crap? You only said that 'cause YOU'RE weak!

Huh? What're you talking about? Hanakouji's--

Uh oh.

Ahyahahahahaha! You didn't know!? This hambeast here IS Miyabi Hanakouji!

And so, Eikichi finally learns the truth.

Why... Why did you never say anything!? I-I...

I was too embarrassed! I... I didn't want you to know, Eikichi-kun!

Were you guys goin' out or somethin'? You and Fatty here would be a perfect match!

It's nothing like that! I admired the Hanakouji-san I knew back then!

......!

HER!? She's your sweetie? Ahyahahahahaha!

Miyabi seems to have been worrying over nothing, although it's understandable why she felt that way because there was no way for her to know how Eikichi would react. As it is, it's clear Eikichi cares for Miyabi as a person and doesn't give a poo poo if she's not quite as slim she was all those years ago.

Watch closely!

Hiroki cuts Miyabi's cheek with his knife. I don't think anyone would blame Eikichi for summoning Rhadamanthus right now and frying this idiot where he stands.

Wait! We storm in there, we hurt Eikichi's pride. I know it's tough to watch... But this is his moment!

You want us to just sit back...!? Fanna! No way! Let's go save them, Tatsuya!

It's kinda hard to disagree with Lisa here because obviously we want to step in and help our friend, but regardless of that we're going to heed Yukino's advice instead.

I ain't gonna go soft and take only an arm here. To get back for what you put me through, I'm gonna have to take both arms and legs!

O-Of course I am! It's your fault that... My girl dumped me for that!

That wasn't it. She got fed up with the way you'd pick on anyone weaker than you.

Th-That's a lie! You're lying! It was your fault! Everything is!

The Leader might be stronger than the Boss, but there's no way Hiroki Sugimoto is ever stronger than Eikichi Mishina! After that beating you put me through, I'm calling it even between us.

I love Eikichi's portrait here. After that exchange, we get a quick fade to black...

...and come back to Hiroki begging Eikichi to spare the few shreds of dignity he's still got left. Turns out Eikichi did not need Rhadamanthus, or the rest of us for that matter, to beat the poo poo out of this loser. If we do decide to intervene, there's a boss fight against Hiroki and we also miss out on a strong Persona for Eikichi later in the game.

MUSIC: Main Theme B

I acted like a big hero, ordering my guys not to pick on the weak... But that was all just a front. Really, it was just an excuse to beat people up with my Persona... And that ain't how a man should act!

If nothing else, that stuff you said a second ago was... Uhh... I-It was pretty cool!

That is as big of a compliment Eikichi's ever getting from Ginko, so he should savor it.

Uhh, Hanakouji-san? Are you... well, I guess you're not okay, huh...

Miyabi turns away from Eikichi, and then runs off. Obviously, she still believes Eikichi won't accept her the way she is now.

MUSIC: Club Zodiac

Looks like we're going to have to catch up with her later. For now, the group turns their attention to Hiroki, still cowering on the floor in a pathetic heap.

Why'd you order your stooges to spread a rumor that the Sevens emblem was cursed?

Th-The student council president asked me to! He said he'd make me Leader with Master Joker's powers if I ruined Sevens' reputation!

That Yasuo... I turned him down, so he went with the next name on his list!

Welp, that'll explain that. Good thing we were able to get rid of the curse.

Wh-Which reminds me... I also heard that one of their executives, "Lady Scorpio," was gonna be at the gathering. This was gonna be my first time going, so that's really all I know! C'mon, just lemme go...

Looks like you're telling the truth... Alright, you're off the hook. But you better not go near Joker ever again, got it!?

Hiroki runs away, hopefully having learnt his lesson.

And that's where we're stopping for now. Kind of a short update, but Zodiac just didn't have very much to it. Next time, we're heading to Kasugayama High and Ginko's going to beat up the student council president.

------

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Ugh, why are all dungeons in Persona games terrible? They're always dull monster mazes with an occasional locked door to slow you down.

Eikichi rules lawyering his way to victory was pretty great. Especially when it means we can dodge a boss battle.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Man, the LP format makes IS feel so much more compressed. Hits you just how long those dungeons really are, especially with the requisite "stretch out battles to get cards" business.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

CmdrKing posted:

Man, the LP format makes IS feel so much more compressed. Hits you just how long those dungeons really are, especially with the requisite "stretch out battles to get cards" business.
Yeah, I mean, Club Zodiac is pretty short compared to other dungeons and in the update it looks like there's barely anything to it, but that's after I cut out a lot of random trash fights (most of them against enemies we've already seen, so there was no point keeping them in). Even if you take the straightest possible path, you still have to fight every five seconds and it'll take quite a bit of time to get through the dungeon.

edit: I didn't even bother negotiating for any cards in Zodiac, because there's no real need to do so at the moment and basically won't be until Mega Blaze's damage output starts to taper off and/or more enemies start resisting it.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 16, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Interesting. Not only is the choice NOT a 'but thou must!' situation, the boss fight isn't mandatory, and choosing to go through with it is the 'wrong' decision. Nice touch, and completely outside the scope of what I'd expect from a JRPG of that era (i.e., whichever option is the bigger pain in the rear end will be the correct one.)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: I didn't even bother negotiating for any cards in Zodiac, because there's no real need to do so at the moment and basically won't be until Mega Blaze's damage output starts to taper off and/or more enemies start resisting it.

I always made a point to negotiate frequently even if I didn't need the cards. Idea was, since you natively regain MP as you walk, if every other battle or so you don't expend resources you can overall keep yourself topped off easily. Yet another reason the fairy fountain is kinda wasted in IS/EP.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

You will want to start negotiating in the next dungeon onwards, as someone posted; as that's when you start getting cards in usable amounts as opposed to barely any at all.

As for the Ginko conversation earlier posted, I took it as a bit of a racist thing of Ekichi ribbing her for her skin color with Lisa's sensitive on.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The characters are super charming and the occasional goofy moments only make me like them more. I'm glad for this LP because I don't think I can stomach the gameplay of P2 in this modern age.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Part 08: Kasugayama High

------

Last time, Eikichi beat up the new "Leader" of Kasugayama High, who informed us that the student council president is in cahoots with Joker and was the one responsible for spreading the rumor about the emblem curse at Seven Sisters High.

We're now heading to Kasu High, and our objective is to find this student council president. Lisa already declared she was going to beat him up, and while that is a solid plan we should maybe try to see if this guy can tell us anything about Joker. There is apparently also going to be some sort of masquerade ball taking place at Kasu High, involving a mysterious organization involved with Joker.

MUSIC: Kasugayama High School

Yeah... Yasuo's in charge of it all. And here I thought he was just putting in extra effort for the school... That bastard...

He's probably in the student council room on the second floor. I'll beat a confession out of that prick! Let's go!

The student council room seems like the obvious place to start when you're looking for the council president, so that's where we'll be heading. In any event, welcome to Kasugayama High.

"Kasuga" literally means "spring day". Kasugayama High, on the other hand, may have been named after the Kasugayama Castle from the Sengoku period, one of the most famous mountain fortresses in Japan.

Oh yeah, Kasugayama High is also a dungeon with random battles because of course it is.

We've got some new monsters here, such as Empusa. Her design is very different from what we've seen in other Megaten games, where she is usually depicted as this donkey-woman creature walking around on four hooves.

We've been using Mega Blaze as our main attack since the first dungeon, and we'll keep doing that for a little while longer because it still kills most things in one hit. However, it's not the only fire-based fusion spell we've got, as Yukino and Tatsuya are about to demonstrate.

Blazing Burst (Agi + Agi) is essentially a single-target version of Mega Blaze. There isn't really that much reason to use Blazing Burst instead of its multi-target counterpart, certainly not at this point, but I figured I'd at least show it off.

We haven't had a shot of Rhadamanthus stabbing things in a while, so here you go.

While I haven't been showing it off, our Personas are ranking up at a pretty decent rate. I believe Maia can now use Media, so Maya can heal the whole party on her turn instead of just casting Dia on one party member over and over.

Male student: We've got all the stores and stalls you'd expect from a temple. Come on by once the festival begins!

Uh, sure thing. First off, though, we're gonna encounter some more monsters.

Y'know, with all these tanning salons and light-skinned fashions, it totally makes me feel stupid trying to look good.

Eh, there's no reason to pay too much attention to fads like that. Just do what comes naturally, don't stress over it.

Empusa seems to agree. The reaction you get when answering a demon's question is, as mentioned before, seemingly random, so don't expect the same dialog options to work every time.

In any case, let's have Eikichi chat her up.

Smooth as ever, I see. It also took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to figure out that Eikichi's trying to say "Carpe diem" here. :eng99:

It's a beautiful life! Don't you ever lose that smile, baby!

Whee! BFFs, you and me! Call me!

That went surprisingly well. Also, if you've ever wanted a sound byte of Troy Baker saying "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL LIFE!" this is the game for you.

Male student: I can't let you see it yet because we're still getting ready, but you should come by once the Kasuga Festival starts. We'd welcome you!

You know, these guys don't seem so bad. Kasugayama High has a nasty reputation as a school that accepts all kinds of delinquents and other dregs, but these students seem like they don't mind us being here despite the whole rivalry between them and Seven Sisters High.

I thought I should probably show off Tatsuya's stats every so often. His SP pool is absolutely gigantic at this point because we've been investing in dexterity so heavily.

More new demons, here are Puck and Phaleg. You may remember Phaleg from the first game, where he was a pretty solid early game Persona.

As usual, we'll keep Mega Blazin' most things we encounter.

Male student: Huh? That's against the rules? Hehehe... Maybe it is, at that.

Err... right. I think we're needed someplace else.

Well, so much for being BFFs with Empusa. I got one question wrong and things just went downhill from there. Shame, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Anyway, we've got some more new faces. The winged snake creature is Apep, but we're more interested in those little green guys in mugs. That's Agathion, and we want to make a pact with him.

Perfect. Of course, making the pact is the easy part, getting them to give us cards is what matters and also where things can go wrong.

I thought Kasugayama High was a boys-only school. Where are they going to get waitresses, unless...

...Yep, that checks out.

Well I mean, if you're waitstaff, you probably shouldn't be hitting on your customers anyway because that's not very professional.

I know we're supposed to be heading to the second floor, but it certainly won't hurt to check what's in the gym entryway.

Especially when you get free healing. We don't exactly need it right at this very moment, but it's good to know it's there.

Noted. Let's see what else we can find out here.

This was how I wanted the school to be. Fights will still break out once in a while, but we'd all have fun...

But Yasuo's doing it all wrong. I'll make him pay for this... I want you to see to it, Tatsuya!

Hm? Why would Joker throw a party? How should I know?

Teacher: Th-This can only be the leadership of our new student council president. My students... Right now, you are beautiful! Just beautiful! *sniff*

In any case, it's masks again. Hmm... I wonder what this all means.

No entry to the gym just yet, got it.

They spread nasty rumors about Sevens while they go and throw a dance party!? They are seriously Kehhei!

Motivated committee member: I'm sure tons of girls from other schools will show up, so if we don't make this work, our image rehab efforts will have been for nothing!

Nothing else we can do out there, so let's head on up to the second floor. I think I somehow missed a classroom on the first floor, but we'll go there eventually.

I did not miss this classroom (2-1) on the second floor, though. I think we all know what Lisa's greatest dream is, but whether or not it'll come true is... well, we shall see eventually.

It's really hard for me to hear the term "shadowmen" without thinking about Acclaim's Shadowman for the Nintendo 64. I don't think voodoo has anything to do with these guys, though.

Hm, that's interesting. I don't know exactly what this shadowman is talking about, but it sounds important somehow.

As usual, normal people can't see the shadowmen.

Male student: I don't really care about anything but right now. I'll think about the future when the future comes. That's the way to go, right?

If you say so. That's everything in 2-1, so let's get out of here.

Male student: Well, where's the fun in scaring guys? It's not worth doing unless we get some nice, high-pitched screams. That's why.

This guy doesn't seem to mind scaring other dudes.

Uh, okay then. We'll leave him to his flickering and winking stars.

Ah, so that's why that other guy was going on about stars. Or maybe he just really likes stars and they decided to roll with it, so they decided to make a planetarium.

All right, that's what we want, and we didn't even screw up the negotiation this time. We also get 9 Free Tarot cards, which is also very highly appreciated.

Hey, you can't have a masquerade ball without masks, right? If you do something, do it properly.

I'm starting to think it's a shame he's giving up being the Boss. Guys like him don't come around too often anymore.

C'mon, you have to hang in there! Try your best, and if that doesn't work, talk to me again. I'll help you out as a fellow student.

The others have a point, Eikichi's really conducting himself pretty drat well here and showing some proper leadership qualities. It's easy to assume he's just a loudmouth punk, but he actually does seem to care about his fellow Kasugayama High students.

Male student: I-I mean, I don't have much confidence... But I'll at least try to protect myself!

Male student: By the way, I have a tip for you. That president Michel-san is looking for is in the student council room.

We kinda knew that already, but thanks anyway.

Looks like one of the students isn't taking Eikichi's announcement as well as his buddies there did. Oh well, he's just going to have to live with it and make his own way, without anyone telling him what to do.

Teacher: It must be the work of that new student council president. There have been some nasty rumors about him, but he's okay in my book.

We'll see about that soon enough.

Well, you know, when people's faces start falling off, that kind of puts a damper on the festivities.

Yet another new enemy, here's Ogre.

We want to make a pact with him as well, so let's have Maya talk to him and see what she can do.

I like how he bounces up and down when you make him happy.

Excellent.

Or maybe not. We can only have three active pacts, so we need to annul one of those.

Sure, that'll work. We have no use for the Slime and Ratatoskr pacts by this point, anyway.

These guys are being quite chatty today, aren't they?

Our answer actually scared him, which is okay as long as you don't do that too many times. In some cases, scaring enemies and making them leave the battle is a useful tactic, but that's not really what we're trying to do here. Well, we're not exactly trying to do anything here because Apep was the one who started talking to us, but since we're negotiating I guess we might as well try to get something out of it.

Eikichi sure knows how to motivate others.

Aw, that sucks. At least our consolation prize is a Bufu card, so when we create a new Persona in the Velvet Room we can teach it the Bufu ice spell.

Well, we found the student council room. Let's hope the president is in.

I guess the president isn't in. Where could he be, then?

Glib student council member: Yeah, Kasugayama High would be done for if anything happened to you!

What the hell...? Aren't you guys Yasuo's cronies? I thought you couldn't stand the sight of me.

Earnest student council member: Oh, no, that's a terrible misunderstanding. To tell the truth, we didn't know how to handle the president's megalomania.

Glib student council member: If you seize this oppurtunity to put him in his place, the student council--the whole school, really--will be much better off for it.

Earnest student council member: He's afraid of you. He's hiding somewhere in the school. Please find him and end his reign of terror!

Sure thing. There's just one problem...

...which is that we still have no idea where Yasuo is.

Earnest student council member: He said he was going to Class 3-1. I'm sure he's still there. Please bring that evildoer to justice as soon as you can!

Something's not right... Why are these guys sucking up to me all of a sudden? Did even the student council hate Yasuo?

Looks like we're headed to the third floor, then.

3-1 is right here, but first I want to explore the rest of the floor. Let's get on with it.

Male student: We're planning on showing a movie we made ourselves this year! We're still getting ready, but I hope you come check it out.

Sounds exciting and all, but we're very busy so don't mind too much if we don't show up.

Male student: We'll be showing it during the Kasuga Festival. You're definitely welcome to come see it!

Maybe so, although you shouldn't spend all of your time chasing dreams. Sometimes you need to focus on the present.

Male student: Huh? Why not? That's my dream and all. What, do you have a better one in mind? This I'd like to hear.

We're not going to lecture this guy about not thinking about his future, because it's not like Tatsuya himself has put too much thought into his own future either. Joker probably shouldn't be involved in this, but aside from that I figure this dude can do whatever makes him happy.

I think ideals are more than that. They're something you'll chase after your whole life.

But I think life is about reaching for those dreams. Your ideals are the key to learning your purpose in life...

Skull? Didn't Joker use some kind of a crystal skull to turn Eikichi's friends into shadowmen? I don't remember it being blue, though.

NO! For the love of all that's good and holy, NO. I can't think of anything I would enjoy less. ...Maybe later.

Male student: Looks like we'll have a ton of female customers this year, so we prepared a special changing room for them. Heeheehee... I can't wait!

Well, that sounded all kinds of skeevy and wrong. Let's see what those other guys are up to.

Huh. Maybe they are taking this whole changing room thing seriously after all, even though that other guy back there sounded creepy as hell.

Also, this happened. :argh: Demons are jerks.

At least Eikichi had better luck with Ogre. 12 Chariot cards and 9 Free Tarot cards, not bad.

Here's our current tally of cards. We haven't been collecting too many of them because I'm going for very specific Personas, namely those of the Chariot and Star Arcana. I don't remember off the top of my head how many cards of each Arcana we need, but we do also have a nice set of free cards we can use if necessary.

I wanted Tatsuya and Maya to do a group negotiation here, but they insisted on going it alone and this is the result. I'm sure I'll get to show off group negotiations one day.

Right, let's finally go to 3-1 and see if Yasuo is in there.

Guess not.

What transfer student? I thought we were looking for the student council president.

O-Okay then...

What was that all about?

N-Nah, it's nothing... Probably just my imagination...

No, seriously, what the hell was that just now?

The basement, huh? Well, we've looked just about everywhere except the rooftop and the basement, so I suppose that makes sense.

Nisroc here is a pain in the rear end in Eternal Punishment, because he uses an attack called Hula of Misfortune. So what does that do, then? It halves your money, that's what. :gonk: According to the wiki, Nisroc doesn't actually have the Hula of Misfortune in Innocent Sin, but I wasn't going to take any risks so I decided to get him out of the fight as quickly as possible (he does have a confusion-inducing attack that targets the whole party, and I'd rather avoid that as well). Making him happy via negotiation does the trick.

Phaleg uses instant kill Light attacks, but fortunately he decided to try them on Maya who's immune to Light. In Persona 1 and 2, the player character can die without causing a game over (as long as he's not the only one in the party, obviously), so instant kills aren't quite the threat they are in the later Persona games and most other Megaten releases.

We ended up running into another Ogre, so obviously Eikichi's going to have another stimulating conversation with him.

Eh, probably not. We do get another pile of Chariot cards and free cards out of this conversation, which is always appreciated.

To the basement we go, then.

I don't know why the student council president would be hiding down in the basement, but people seemed to think he's there so I guess we'll have to check it out.

No sign of the president. Again. There's another door, though.

President's voice: I-I was wrong... I'll never do it again... J-Just forgive me...

Forgive you? Forget that! There's a whole laundry list of stuff we gotta ask you! There's no way we're just letting you go!

There they go again.

Better go after them. C'mon, let's go.

OW! You'll pay for that!

Umm... Huh. I was sure I had a flashlight...

*lighter click*

...You know, Tatsuya-kun... I think next time you have something useful like that, you should take it out a little sooner.

MUSIC: Bomb Shelter

A walkie-talkie...? What a dirty trick!

Rumor has it that no one knows where the exit to that air raid shelter is... Once you're in, you'll never get out. Gheeeheehehehe!

Oh man, he got us good this time. Eikichi and Ginko charging in like morons didn't exactly help, but we really fell for his little trick.

What did you just say?

Sugimoto-kun was only a stalking horse. I set the stage by spreading a rumor that the Leader was stronger than the Boss. I hadn't considered that you'd use it to your advantage. Hence, my plan to play the vermin against each other misfired.

Kehhei! Come out and face us!

I think not. Savage elements must be isolated lest they contaminate the rest of society. Gheeeheeehehehe! But if the ladies give me a writeup in their periodical and Lisa-san becomes my g-girlfriend, I'll make an exception for the females.

Of course.

Eikichi's reaction is great. :allears:

That went well. Now, we just need to find some way out of here.

Wait! Eikichi, don't...

*SMASH*

...welp, never mind.

Yeah, what she said, you moron! Why'd you go and break our only contact with the outside!?

Whaaa...? B-But...!

Oh, well. No use crying over it now.

We need to think positive, yes, but remember what Yasuo said over the walkie-talkie? Rumor has it that there is no way out of this air raid shelter, and rumors have a nasty habit of coming true in Sumaru City. That's the slightly worrying part here.

------

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 26, 2017

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yasuo's so chill and introspective in EP. Nothing like the goober he is in this one. Guess all the power from Joker went to his head.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Between the last dungeon and this one, I really like how the game is quick to make Eikichi such a well-rounded character.

Doc Morbid posted:

While I haven't been showing it off, our Personas are ranking up at a pretty decent rate. I believe Maia can now use Media, so Maya can heal the whole party on her turn instead of just casting Dia on one party member over and over.

The main disadvantage of Mega Blaze being such a good early game crutch is that the other characters' Personas would start lagging behind in power. Maia's actually pretty decent, but I had to hold back in battles to get some Rank-up Mutations or stat ups.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I think it's around this time that getting Fool cards starts being... very slightly possible. I'm not sure if how you get them was changed for this remake, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to put this thread on indefinite hiatus. I have had half the game recorded for months now so I have plenty of material to work with, but I just can't find the motivation to put these updates together at the moment and quite frankly, I'm not sure I'm the right person to LP Innocent Sin anyway because I don't know nearly as much about this game as I'd like to. Kinda sucks to have to shut this down so early on, but it happens to the best of LPers (let alone some idiot like me :v:).

I might get back to this at some point, but for the time being I'm going to focus on The Witcher and then get to Knights of the Old Republic (which is a game I do know extremely well) when I'm getting closer to the end of Geralt's adventures in and around Vizima. Or I might get distracted by shiny things and do something completely different, that's also a possibility. Thanks for following the thread, I'll see you around.

• Locked thread