Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know this isn't quite the place but maybe some others can commiserate just how lovely it can be at times to try to cycle in Paris. Ugh. Drivers are assholes, other cyclists are assholes, and frankly pedestrians aren't all that great.

The only good ones on the road are bus drivers. Down with everyone else, up with bus drivers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
what are you doing in Paris, it's full of Parisians

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Paris in the summer is pretty ok

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

what are you doing in Paris, it's full of Parisians

You know generally I can deal with them and the whole thing just fine, but when it feels like I'm going to constantly die then they begin to bother me.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Just embrace the rudeness, make it yours and you will never feel unsafe again

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Never, I refuse to succumb to the recesses of humanity this fine city embodies.

Enjoy your day off!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ça passe partout

https://twitter.com/SamJamesMorgan/status/1292875589863583747

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Cannes shooting, no idea what's going on
https://twitter.com/simon_sebaagh/status/1292943030111162368?s=19

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Not an actual shooting apparently, just mass hysteria:

https://twitter.com/prefet06/status/1292962305345454080

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some good stuff from Méluche today

https://twitter.com/JLMelenchon/status/1317860651226796033

How tchetchens differ from the other problematic populations the FI usually caters to, is a complete mystery.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

drat dude once again you've cracked the case, there oughta be some sort of definitive solution to the problem of those populations

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There are definitely no glaring issues that will blow up in our faces before long.

quote:

Les atteintes à la laïcité sont mon quotidien, un combat permanent. Plus de 90 % de mes élèves sont de confession musulmane – ils ne mangent pas de porc à la cantine. J'ai principalement des problèmes sur la nourriture. Chaque jour, on me réclame de la viande hallal. Une mère d'élève m'a agressée parce qu'elle exigeait que j'interdise à sa fille de manger le poulet qui n'était pas hallal. En 2015, un de mes élèves de CM2 avait écrit que les chambres à gaz étaient « une vue de l'esprit ». Lorsque j'ai convoqué son père et lui ai mis sous le nez l'évaluation d'histoire, il m'a répondu que mon métier était de lui apprendre l'orthographe… Et, chaque jour, je dois lutter contre l'ignorance. Mes élèves sont dans une grande confusion, ils confondent origine, religion et nationalité. Ils ne savent pas qu'ils sont français (ils disent qu'ils sont arabes)

quote:

Plusieurs fois, j'ai signalé le fait que les cours d'arabe et de turc sont dispensés par des professeurs nommés par les consulats de ces pays. Je ne parle pas arabe, je ne peux rien contrôler. L'an dernier, de nombreux parents d'origine turque se sont présentés dans mon école, envoyés par la mosquée ! Je comprends que certains directeurs hésitent à résister. Quand l'un de mes collègues a signalé à sa hiérarchie que des enfants s'étaient plaints d'être frappés physiquement par leur professeur d'arabe de la mosquée, on l'a accusé d'islamophobie, et nos supérieurs lui ont conseillé de se mêler de ce qui le regardait car il ne fallait pas que la presse s'en empare

etc etc

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Everybody knows dirt-poor first- and second-generation immigrants are a key target for radicalisation, but there's zero attempt at a good faith argument in vaguely pointing to "problematic populations" that are supposedly allied with the far left in a hinted-at conspiracy, esp when the current situation is the direct result of centrist apathy and miserliness

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

unpacked robinhood posted:

There are definitely no glaring issues that will blow up in our faces before long.

Ah yes. "demander un repas halal" = une atteinte à la laïcité.
At some point, that brand of fucks should really read some education history 101 to kinda try to maybe nail down what the whole "laïcité" thing actually means. Starting with teachers - which is weird 'cause it's on the MEEF program, and yet so many seem to fail to understand that laïcité means public servants aren't supposed to be openly religious or push their religion, AND THAT'S IT ! Students, parents, citizens at large can (and should) do whatever the gently caress they drat well please because freedom of conscience.

Also, "we can't make menus for every confession" is bullshit. Here's what you do : cook a side tray of hamburgers whenever there's pork on the main dish. Bam, done. My college/lycée was doing it 20+ years ago for Muslims and Jews both and nobody clutched their loving pearls. And if her school really is 90%+ Muslim, here's a novel idea : *just cook everything halal to begin with*. Who gives a gently caress ?! Are non-Muslims going to pitch a fit that their precious sprog has to taint their pure Aryan genes eating the dirty mosselmeat ?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Are non-Muslims going to pitch a fit that their precious sprog has to taint their pure Aryan genes eating the dirty mosselmeat ?

I agree with the point, but they absolutely will

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And likely have, in fact.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kobal2 posted:

Are non-Muslims going to pitch a fit

Hate when non Muslims have another tantrum over poo poo that doesn't touch them in any way. They should go be a poor bitch about it, maybe burn a few flags and boycott luxury goods.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aaand another non muslim just killed 3 people in nice, yelling Charlie akbar.

e: And another one had to be put down in Avignon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 29, 2020

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I think maybe you should poo poo or get off the pot re: what you're implying should be done with regards to France's Muslim population

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What should we do with the afghan national and know islamist brandishing a knife and threatening people in Lyon you ask ? The answer will leave you completely flabbergasted out of your socks, for real.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Walking back your intimations that this is a problem that concerns Islam and not specific Islamists is some real weak poo poo, ngl

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Wouldn't have thought Gerald Darmanin would be a goon.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lost in postation posted:

Walking back your intimations that this is a problem that concerns Islam and not specific Islamists is some real weak poo poo, ngl

Not getting my hopes up until we're able to deal with the real easy ones. I assume correctly punishing the turks marching in vienne yelling "let's kill armenians" is not in the tubes atm.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

No but seriously, what's your ideal endgame here? Banning Islam altogether? Mass loss of citizenship + deportation? Real tired of the allusive bullshit

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
please don't be mean to unpacked robinhood he's obviously in mourning

https://twitter.com/lemondefr/status/1321824235938058240

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow the racist police executed another suspect, a tragic loss.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What sort of person would prefer talking about the Napoleonic Wars as the Coalition Wars?

I have a kid in class that's quite blatantly extrême droite and I have no idea if that sort of naming convention is a thing in those circles.

Aside from that he's generally a head-ache to work with despite being worrisomely enthusiastic in English class (he's very fond of Trump and I'm pretty sure he frequents right-wing online communities hence his skill and interest in improving his English).

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

It's a fairly neutral term for the series of conflicts between the beginning of the first Revolutionary War and the end of the Napoleonic Wars. It's not super common in French historiography so it's entirely possible he got it from some lovely online material, but the phrase itself isn't a far right shibboleth as far as I'm aware.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Good to know, are there any shibboleths I may not be aware of as a foreigner? The kid clearly likes talking to/antagonizing me about Trump but aside from the major names of the FN I really don't know much about the French Far Right and their workings/presence.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I feel like most of them (choc des civilisations, communautarisme, préférence nationale, etc.) are pretty explicit or, lately, taken directly from the English-language wordbook, but I'm not confident I could recognise the more esoteric ones myself tbh

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Good to know, are there any shibboleths I may not be aware of as a foreigner? The kid clearly likes talking to/antagonizing me about Trump but aside from the major names of the FN I really don't know much about the French Far Right and their workings/presence.

Well I'd tell you "laïcité", "communautarisme", "ensauvagement" were far right dogwhistles but... they're pretty much all-across-the-spectrum dogwhistles these days it seems.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

"Choc des civilisations", "communautarisme", et "laïcité" je connais. Je n'ai jamais entendu parler de "ensauvagement" ni "préférence nationale" mais je crois comprendre ce qu'ils veut dire.

Is the former about immigrants making areas/people more dangerous/wild? And the latter... of how we need to prefer things for the sake of the nation?

This is depressing, I hate being "one of the good ones" immigrant-wise but it's also tragically hilarious how relative that is to some.

On sight I pass off as Mediterranean which well depends on how you feel about the Spanish or the Italians, but I've been approached as Lebanese or Turkish before, which again depends on how you feel about those! When I speak, people think I'm Latino, so some have said "I share the same values as the French" ie Catholic, others don't like the drug connotations of my Colombian background.

But when they realize I'm actually from the US, well then I am one of the good ones, and "Oh I went to California/NYC..." but you totally distrusted me before finding that out two minutes ago! Immigration is never a bad thing. I wish we could just accept that.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

100YrsofAttitude posted:

"Choc des civilisations", "communautarisme", et "laïcité" je connais. Je n'ai jamais entendu parler de "ensauvagement" ni "préférence nationale" mais je crois comprendre ce qu'ils veut dire.

Is the former about immigrants making areas/people more dangerous/wild? And the latter... of how we need to prefer things for the sake of the nation?

Kinda. It's about immigrants and non-white young'uns growing "more savage", out of control, ultraviolent and so on over the past (?) years and making it worse for everybody, including all the hicks who never, ever have nor will ever go anywhere near the banlieues. But it's still a major problem for them, don't you understand...

FWIW it's been a talking point for over a century at this point, starting with the "apaches" around the turn of the XXth century (note the connotation of alien-ness, uncivilized, barbarism etc... of the word). Back then it was "merely" a young vs. old, "this new generation is the worst !" kind of thing but these days it's pretty much explicitly racist as well.

"Préférence nationale" is "France First !", which is just as xenophobic as "America First !"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
"Preference nationale" means hiring French citizens over foreign residents (as in, that would be the law).

Edit: There's also "islamogauchisme".

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 1, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Kinda. It's about immigrants and non-white young'uns growing "more savage", out of control, ultraviolent and so on over the past (?) years and making it worse for everybody, including all the hicks who never, ever have nor will ever go anywhere near the banlieues. But it's still a major problem for them, don't you understand...

"Préférence nationale" is "France First !", which is just as xenophobic as "America First !"

Thank you. Islamogauchisme seems slightly contradictory but I guess it’s just mixing all the flavors they love to hate.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thank you. Islamogauchisme seems slightly contradictory but I guess it’s just mixing all the flavors they love to hate.

It's "lefties, antiracist militants (or anyone defending muslims in general) are useful idiots for terrorists and sharia law taking over France through a demographic takeover". Common accusations include:
-They teach people to hate France and White French people for its colonial past, and racism in general.
-They divide us over racial lines and promote self-segregation and self-rule of minorities by letting them have their own customs. The word used to be "communautarisme", but the right has upgraded it to "séparatisme", probably because the former stopped sounding scary enough.
-They're pro-censorship and hate us for our freedom when the subject is deemed racist, as with the Charlie Hebdo cartoons (that have become a convenient "you're with us or against us" shibboleth). If you think the cartoons sucked you may as well have been leading the attacks yourself.
-They're too soft on crime and terrorism and won't let the government expand the powers of the police and the surveillance state.

Part of the fun is there's a lot of guilt by association going on, with political parties being accused of cozying up to minor antiracist organizations who themselves are accused of having ties to more radical or more conservative ones, up until you get politicians arguing everyone to their left is best buds with terrorism apologists.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Bolshevism.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 1, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
On that note, nothing weird whatsoever about this:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PJanuel/status/1322904167497797633

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This sort of thing is what worries me about tomorrow. As a teacher at 11 a.m. I need to talk to my class, at the that time, about Paty, and what happened. I need to field questions and discuss the values of the Republic. Defending freedom of speech and even talking libérté, égalité, fraternité is all well and good, but beyond that I really don't want to play the role of spokesperson to the president. It's definitely one of the thorny issues of being a teacher, in that, in theory what we do is to be propagandists for the state, which doesn't sit well with me, but by and large I can side-step that since I need to only focus on English-speaking societies (and can be as critical as I want!) as an English teacher. I'm hoping it'll go well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't understand this security bill. Who is it supposed to appeal to?

I can't find hard data but even right wingers online don't seem to like this. And last time France was really in the international news for me, it was the Yellow Vests which contained a notable right wing element at the very least.

I think one of the first bits of French news I ever saw was another protest from about 3-5 years ago where the protesters set a cop car on fire and the guy just kinda climbed out like "welp, that happened. Again."

My point is, reverence for cops does not even appear to be a French Right value. Macron is pissing off everyone.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't understand this security bill. Who is it supposed to appeal to?

I can't find hard data but even right wingers online don't seem to like this.

Fascists. Marine Le Pen has given it her approval IIRC. Over the past few years, much like in the US the whole "REVERE COPS NO MATTER WHAT OR DIE" sentiment has been growing in certain spheres, for similar reasons (breakdown of institutions, breach of trust with the gvt, fear of The Other, Post-Modernism (lol, but really youtube/facebook bs + old folks scared of antifa/antiracists/anticolonialism etc...).

EDIT : I also suspect that, since Macron is basically loathed by everyone ; and just about everyone expects the next election to be between him and Marine because the Left has imploded ; RN cunts would be more than happy to have a law giving them everything they need to oppress the *poo poo* out of their opponents without even having to take the flak for passing it.
As has been noted on my twitter feed, if that law, with that wording, had been proposed by an RN governement, even the Amicale des Anciens Combattants would be in the streets screaming fascism. But because Marcon & his crew pretend to be clean-cut, happy to negotiate democrats, and are in cahoots with a few major news owners ; it's just the usual "separatist" suspects realizing something's beyond hosed up.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 23, 2020