Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

What's going on with all these African interventions that France is involved in? I assume they are protecting some business interests/resource extractions?

France signed defense and cooperation treaties with most of its former African colonies after their independence, so you've got a long list of assistance against rebels; a few times against other African nations (mostly against Libya). There are also a lot of protection and evacuation of French and other foreign citizens during times of unrest or civil war; and more than a few participation to peacekeeping. There has been some shady stuff (it's basically unavoidable) but the only thing that can really be qualified of protecting resource extraction interests was the defense of that railroad in Mauritania.

So for a list of French interventions in Africa after 1962:
-1964: put an end to the coup in Gabon
-1968-1972: fight against Libya-backed rebels in Chad
-1977-1978: fight against the Polisario Front in Mauritania to secure a railroad route and free kidnapped French citizens
-1978: new fight against Libya-backed rebels in Chad
-1979: put a (temporary) end to Bokassa's Central African Empire, restored Central African Republic
-1983: again, fight against Libya-backed rebels in Chad
-1986: destruction of an Libyan military base on Chadian territory
-1986 also: thwarting attempted coup in Togo
-1989: fight against Bob Denard's mercenary takeover in Comoros
-1990: evacuation of foreign citizens in Gabon during a time of civil unrest
-1990-1993: pushing back rebels invading Rwanda from Uganda, until negotiation of a truce between rebels and government (in 1994, the murder of Rwandan president by shooting down his plane would restart the civil war and turn into a full-fledged genocide)
-1991: protection of Djibouti against attempted Ethiopian invasion
-1992-1993: participation in UN-peacekeeping in Somali
-1993: evacuation of foreign citizens from Zaire (DR Congo, Kinshasa) after civil unrest leading to the murder of French ambassador
-1994: evacuation of European citizens from Rwanda during civil war, participation to (tragically insufficient) UN peacekeeping
-1995: fight against Bob Denard's new mercenary takeover of Comoros
-1996: assistance to Cameroun in the Bakassi border dispute with Nigeria
-1997: evacuation of foreign citizens in Congo (not-Zaire, Brazzaville)
-1998: evacuation of foreign citizens and assistance to African Union peacekeeping in Guinea-Bisseau
-1998: evacuation of French citizens in Congo (ex-Zaire, Kinshasa)
-1999: protection of Djibouti during Eritrean-Ethiopian fight
-2002-2004: peacekeeping in Cote d'Ivoire to prevent fights between northern rebels and southern loyalists and to protect foreign citizens
-2003: participation to EU peacekeeping operation in Congo (ex-Zaire, Kinshasa)
-2006: it had been a while: fight against Libya-backed rebels in Chad
-2007: fight against rebels targeting the peacekeeping forces in Central African Republic
-2008: defense of the Ndjamena airport in Chad against rebels
-2008: participation to EU anti-piracy operation in the Gulf of Aden
-2011: ousting of Gbagbo in Cote d'Ivoire, end of civil war
-2011: intervention in Libya
-2013: peacekeeping and protection of French citizens in Central African Republic against Islamic militia
-2013-ongoing: intervention against jihadists in Mali at the urgent request of Malian government; this was later generalized to the entire "Sahara-Sahel band".
-2013: failed attempt at rescuing a hostage in Somalia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Barbe Rouge posted:

Is it a saying in France? My country has a similar one which is used ("I work as if I was black") but I don't know if it's connected to black people working as slaves (a bit doubtful since it's an old saying) or people geting a tan from working in the fields for a long time (since the word for "getting a tan" could be literally translated as "blackening").

Personally I've never heard it. I've heard several variants, though, with "Roman", "angel", or even "ant".

That said there is allegedly a tradition in some prestigious schools, notably Polytechniques and Saint-Cyr, to call "nègre" the best student in his class and that would derive from the idea that they were the ones who worked the most. At least it's a somewhat prestigious thing rather than an insult, but still...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Clipperton needs a permanent settlement, IMO.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Al-Saqr posted:

lol can't wait for Macron to deliver France to the Nazi FN on a silver platter thanks to him being a neolib fuckhead who insists on destroying people's lives instead of trying to fix them. Talk about a Jupiter sized rear end in a top hat.

We told you bro, we warned you about Macron.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Oh gently caress, he's so annoying! All I want is to turn workers into an oppressed caste without any rights, and there they are, bitching and nagging and causing all sort of drag. What's their deal?"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

How the gently caress do these stupid loving clowns expect to get under the Holy 3% of deficit if they burn away eleven loving billions in gifts to the rich?

They'll pretty much have to raze everything to the ground to reduce the spending by an equivalent amount -- including the army. Perhaps there'll be a military coup in reaction.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Trump probably insisted on having a bigger motorcade than Obama.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of French military stuff:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2017/07/13/01002-20170713ARTFIG00179-budget-defense-le-general-de-villiers-laisse-eclater-sa-colere.php

The army chief of staff said "I'm not going to let them gently caress me like that" because of yet another spending cut. Because yes, in Macronland, a promise to increase defense spending to the holy 2% of GDP is translated by an immediate budget cut. Hey, when you look at the suggested plan to give 11 loving billions to the rich, you know that Macron is planning on meeting the 2% target by just shrinking the GDP until the military budget corresponds to 2% of it.

IMO he should have saved some money by just not organizing the 14th July défilé, that would have sent a good message.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If proletarian families had the tradition of sending half their sons to Saint-Cyr on every generation, they'd have a bigger representation in the état-major.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Palestinians are poor and therefore do not deserve to be considered to be people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
To go back on the army budget cut thing, Bloomberg is owning Macron something fierce

quote:

Macron has embarked on a spell of budgetary austerity, a move that will hurt growth but is being pursued out of a misplaced desire to meet the European Union's arbitrary 3 percent deficit target.

<snip>

Implausibly, Macron also said that the boost was "in no way" due to "certain comments that were made." He obfuscated on the question of whether this year's cuts were to go ahead, but the speech clearly represented a substantial climb-down for the new president

<snip>

It's also odd because there's no economic rationale for deficit reduction at the moment. Macron was privileging arbitrary budget rules from Brussels over economic logic.

Too bad the article still ends up with the old and busted mantra about civil service and wellfare being "bloated"; but well, Bloomberg.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If I were mayor I'd just use a pair of scissors instead of buying a new frame.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Macron is a real miracle worker, he's managing to make me like Trump.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

edit: but that's not what it says, cause taux is a false friend and it means rate, not tax.

The French word for tax is... taxe. Or impôt. There's a semantic distinction between both "taxe" and "impôt" and actually the French "taxe" is closer to English "fee" I guess. For example the value-added tax is a taxe, but the income tax is an impôt. Impôt comes from imposition, as in, something that you just loving have to comply with.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey, what's the other similarity between Chirac 1 and Macron? Both were elected for who they weren't (Le Pen) instead of for who they were.

Didn't stop Chirac 1 from being followed by Chirac 2. Also if you look at this loving graph you can look at who is at the very top and climbing for their first three months? :barf:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A good piece on Macron's defense policy:
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...n-the-foot.html

The money shot:

quote:

So, in a few short days, France’s boy president has managed to alienate his armed forces and his defense industry and France’s long-standing British ally, while marginalizing his “armed forces minister” at a time when his country is at war on the home front, in Africa and the Middle East.

He now has 4 years and 10 months left to show that he is not simply drunk on power, and that he is better able than his predecessors to manage his country’s military affairs.

A tall order for someone who seems to be floating on a cloud of his own making.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Et Léon Blum, c'est du poulet?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Personally I'd merge it with DCNS. Sorry, "Naval Group" (what a stupid name).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Neoliberals are people who read Dickens and Zola and think "such wonderful books! we must go back to this era".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well it had been a century since the last time there were Summer Olympics in France. I predict that by the same token, France will win Eurovision 2078.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah but the comparison would be meaningless. Hollande was at around 4% toward the end of his term. I don't think it's possible for a US President to go under 30%. I think Trump could devour a baby and then announce he sold back Alaska to Russia and also that he was actually the real mastermind behind 9/11, and he would still have around 35% approval from people who'd just be glad that he's not a Democrat.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm not surprised that they would show solidarity with their fellow shitheads, but still, why the gently caress where they over there?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm not sure how it follows that dismantling every public service would help against Islamic totalitarianism, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As I said, copycats. News about the ram attacks starting with Nice have planted the idea in a lot of unstable heads, and they figure "hey, I've got a car too, I could do that too".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

lost in postation posted:

It didn't exactly take a psychic to predict that Macron, the minister for economy under a president incredibly unpopular because of his economic policy, would make an unpopular president

And yet, no one in the media had this much foresight.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ah yes, the traditional religious swimsuit invented in Australia a few years ago.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
LOL he's asking landlords to lower their profits.

But hey, I'd take a government-imposed ceiling on rent price. It would actually be a lot better for everyone that subsidizing rent price hikes through welfare aids.

Like, create a special landlord-only tax which amounts to everything paid in rent over the ceiling. That'll lower rent price real down quick.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also it's been literally a hundred years since the last time they hosted the summer olympics. They were probably jealous of London where they only had to wait for 64 years between 1948 and 2012.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

I can't decide if my favourite couscousgate guy is the one who accuses Philippot of being a secret infilatrating leftist, or the guy who said that when the party kicks him out we'll celebrate with a good choucrotte. I feel like there's an Antoinette joke to be made there.

Everyone knows choucroute is the meal imported by the invading eastern hordes of Attila, and a good pot-au-feu is what you really want to express your franchouillardise.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fallen Hamprince posted:

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/908992606998278144

Melenchon is running out of words for 'disaster', by spring of next year he's going to be calling France 'un sharknado social'

Une requinnade sociale. Nah, that sounds like a shark-slaughter event. (Which personally I definitely would consider a disaster, plz live sealife alone for a moment you assholes; but sadly most people don't care about overfishing.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Omnipagaille? Omniboxon?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
According to my mom who bothered to watch that parade on TV, Trump especially liked the horsies. When the Republican Guards arrived, his face allegedly lit up with a childish smile; whereas the rest of the time he had his usual smug scowl.

Also if Macron is trying to import the First Lady and State of the Union address, it's only fair that in exchange Trump tries to import the July parade.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
People laughed because they thought it was a lapsus.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
M'étron

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

lost in postation posted:

Maybe he thinks we can't recognise him with the beard?

It's foolproof!

"Marxiste, tendance Groucho"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Jupiteux

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kassad posted:

Seeing Macron start a self-coup to crown himself Empereur would be entertaining, in a way. I wonder who would be our Victor Hugo.

The good news is that he has seriously pissed off the police and the military, so we're safe.

Turns out that when you keep belittling people, they tend to end up thinking that you're an rear end in a top hat. And Macron is physiologically incapable of not insulting people who are not at least millionaires. He just doesn't have whatever area of the brain is required in order to respect the not-wealthy. I'm willing to prove it with science if I'm allowed to perform the dissection.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Macron is the bastard son of Giscard and Sarkozy, by way of Hollande.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Mac for short I guess.

It means "pimp" in French slang and it also brings a couple of US megacorps to mind, so it works on multiple levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

there are seven continents jean luc ffs

Kurtofan posted:

also we don't have colonies territories in asia anymore

Yeah, he could have claimed all oceans but not all continents. Tsk, tsk. (There are five oceans: Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, and Antarctic.)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 13, 2017