Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Plus every french right-wing politician wants to be the next DeGaulle or Bonaparte, they just forget that they left office hated and with mass protests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Uh... that's a very strange characterization of the way Bonaparte's reign ended. Who knows, maybe they like the idea of spending their later days on a tropical island?

I was thinking of Napoleon III, whose government collapsed incredibly hard the moment the Franco-Prussian war went sour (and there used to be conspiracy theories that the liberals in parliament had sabotaged him)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

According to la provence it's most likely gang conflict.

Letting the Pieds Noirs settle the riviera was a mistake.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

We are cruel but not THAT cruel.

I'm sure there's parts of Guyana where there's no one for them to bother.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Lawman 0 posted:

Why does he want to cut the number of MP's?

The french right is convinced democracy is bad since literally forever.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah, Les Republicains already go full FN the moment the FN isn't doing the runoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if a Macron-Melenchon runoff hadn't seen Macron run hard to the right like Sarko in 2012.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are you suggesting the UN isn't competent enough to account for the elements you bring up, or that they're somehow making up numbers as a "pr tactic" ? Honestly curious.

IIRC the UN didn't really account for birth rates in the Maghreb or Brazil cratering like they did.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

My grandfather deserted during Algeria and still thinks it's a good idea, lol.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

lost in postation posted:

TIL that our Chef d'État-Major des Armées is called Pierre Le Jolis de Villiers de Saintignon, because l'Ancien Régime never really ended for our gallant men in uniform ("hosed" as they may be).

It used to be way worse, just about the entire officer corps used to be pining for restauration any day now in the 50s. Also almost every french diplomat until maybe the 90s was from an ancien regime family.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah but at that game of only saying what people want to hear, sooner or later he may end up creating enough contradictions to gently caress himself up.

He's unlikely to contradict himself on that point if Trudeau and Merkel are any indication (except in faux "I love muslims" political statements that paper over their foreign policy being a contributor to suffering in the muslim world)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Kassad posted:

Only presidents count, duh. Even if they were useless figureheads at the time while Blum had actual power.

Edit: Also, Sarkozy has Jewish ancestry on his mother's side of the family. Raised Catholic, though.

President du conseil, tyvm (also iirc he was interim president during or just before the 4th)

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 26, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

Do people read Zola in high school/most people's education outside of France?

Some French Canadian schools because Canlit is mostly garbage whatever language it's in.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Hayek wasn't a libertarian anyway. He was firmly into the liberal tradition.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Condiv posted:

libertarians seem to have not realized this

I mean, at least Rothbard was broadly honest that he was basically borrowing from anarchist left lingo to make his reactionary ideas seeom counter culture and revolutionary. There's really not that much of a jump from Bastiat to Hayek to neoliberalism, and even Keynes is mostly temporary bandaids. Like, the Chicago school wasn't exactly in full ancap territory and had a very direct filiation to the Austrians (and some of the austrians are less palatable to propertarians than Hayek and Mises).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

Actually laicité is when the french army police drag a catholic followers out of "his"(actually now state own) church and shoot him to death french police shoot on a catholic crowd preventing their inventory job in front of a church. The 1900s were great. That's the high point of laicité for most non catholic french people. But hey maybe if they loving overuse it as a tool of minor anti-muslim oppression, people will be dumb enough to free french Catholicism of that barrier.
edit: not the army sadly.

I figure as long as enough people around sort of vaguely remember the catho right was hardcore collabo this might not happen whether the right uses laicite as an excuse for bullshit or not, but then again I was obviously dumb and wrong when I had trouble imagining Le Pen's polling with under-40s actually going up