Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Rendez-vous samedi prochain les amis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Gonna post Mélenchon’s response because heck he’s good at articulating everything that was wrong about tonight’s speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mo1u_z7IMk

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

HookShot posted:

Here in Canada there has been virtually nothing in the media about the gilets jaunes or anything going on in France, I assume since the rich media owners are all terrified of it happening here.

Nonetheless, in reading the comments on an online article about property taxes going up, the first four replies all referenced the gilets jaunes and how the same sort of thing needs to happen here, all of which got multiple likes.

Les Canadiens sont probablement beaucoup trop cons/paresseux pour vraiment se revolter, mais on ne sais jamais.

Well for starters the Gilets Jaunes in their vast majority aren’t the kind of people who’d pay property taxes in the first place. It’s like an entirely different public. I find that in general the people who complain about property taxes are the ones who probably ought to pay more in tax. But I digress.

I too had little faith in the French public. And still today, there is no massive call for a general strike, or mass demonstrations. But there’s something good in there and I’m hoping it can lead to more collective action in the future.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Wow I didn’t think Castaner was so keen to divert attention from the GJs that he’d shoot up downtown Strasbourg

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

There has been no far left in France since the 70’s at best

Mélenchon is pretty centrist, there’s some marxism in the NPA, LO is kinda left-wing, but there’s no party with a totally marxist platform in this day and age

It’s a shame, too, because it’d work really well when you look at the proletariat’s working conditions

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Nous avons une définition différente de l’intelligence imo

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Bonne année les gounes, et n’oubliez pas :

Deux mille dix neuf, nique les keufs

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

avshalemon posted:

communism cannot and will not work

And yet it must, because our only choice is it or barbarism.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

He is a bad president. Very bad. His policies and overall ideology are bad. gently caress you Emmanuel Macron.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

His son Jean is happy as balls, because Henri d’Orléans died right after Jean’s elder brother François, who was mentally handicapped and who still had fought him over the succession rights

So now Jean is the uncontested orleanist pretender to the nonexistent throne. Congrats to him.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Okay so tonight la France Insoumise has made a big reveal on its strategy for the EP campaign.

Three words: HOLOGRAMS IN TRUCKS

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

Hey Fenwick Crew, are we all joining the general strike on the 5th? My union reps are CFDT but gently caress them, I'm pretty sure I could convince my coworkers to join the strike.

Hell yes! I’ve been printing Solidaires tracts at work to teach the Gilets Jaunes and retail workers we’ll encounter along tomorrow’s march about their right to go on strike! Let’s do this!

https://solidaires.org/IMG/pdf/2018-03-30rappel_droit_de_greve.pdf?13759/0ca1a9f2bc34ab85265c028ea6b68b9b5328edce

Print this and pass it around!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

It worked in India.

No really, I don't think it goes deeper than that.

Nah it’s mostly for the cool factor

Holograms

It works wonders on left wing nerds

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Be on strike tomorrow... or else!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Why doesn’t anything matter?

It’s not fair.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Lol at all the morons qqing in the comments to defend the bankers from this odious discrimination

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Anyway there are plenty of reasons to get behind La France Insoumise, first among which is their platform for the EP elections. Read it and weep, macronailures!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

I largely agree with the program, but how are they going to implement it?

I mean, they'd need to be President first, so as to be able to nuke Poland, Ireland, Germany and the Benelux out of existence, and only then the treaties could change.

We’re gonna implement it the same way that we’re gonna implement policies that will limit global warming to 1,5°C: we’re probably going to face overwhelming resistance and fail in the end, but it’s either our way or catastrophe so the only moral choice is to be behind the platform and agitate for it as loud as we can!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

The government isn’t mandating poo poo, and it’ll be probably 50 years before the Académie Française says anything good about écriture inclusive, so in the meantime, do whatever

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Hey you fuckers it’s time to embarrass the government further by actually voting in favor of the referendum on the privatization of Aéroports de Paris.

The media doesn’t give a poo poo and macron wants this to fail hard. They made it as hard as possible. Tell em to go gently caress themselves. We need 5 million people in support of this, now go do some semblance of democracy or something.

https://www.referendum.interieur.gouv.fr/

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Man why is it that the only thing that Americans are interested in wrt Europe and France is WW2 and military anecdotes from WW2?

Is it because that’s the last time you were, arguably, the good guys?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Anyway yesterday a couple hundred comrades went for a test run of a bridge blockade in paris.

Maybe you’ve seen the images on the cops spraying them with gas. Here’s a nice long video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XaV2iQqs_U

If you want the short version, there’s a hearty lol at 5:18, and the gassing proper starts at 7:25. Enjoy!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

There are no books in my bookcases, only endless rows of Lanfeust de Troy, Blake et Mortimer, Sillage and Gotlib.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

the Parisian middle class.

Tonnerre, j’ai été démasqué !

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

There are several differences between Franco-Belgian comics and American comics. The first one is that back in the day, they used to be published a few pages at a time in weekly or monthly publications such as Pilote, Fluide Glacial or Pif Gadget, unlike American comics that are published as issues of a single comic. If you’re familiar with the way Japanese manga are published, it should remind you of something like Jump. Eventually these individual pages were collected in hardbound albums with hard cardboard covers.

Today French comics are more often directly published as full albums with 40 to 80 pages.

As for their style they are quite diverse as illustrated below.

Tintin (Hergé, published in Le Petit Vingtième then Le Soir, 1929-1970’s, 24 albums)

Rahan (Lecureux and Chéret, published in Pif Gadget a few pages at a time and then as issues, and now as albums, 1969-current, 67 albums)

Lanfeust de Troy (Arleston and Tarquin, directly published as albums, 1994-2000, 8 albums and several spinoff series)

La Rubrique à Brac (Gotlib, published a couple pages at a time in Pilote, 1968-1974, 5 albums)

Blake et Mortimer (Jacobs, and now various authors, prepublished in Le Journal de Tintin and now directly as individual albums, 1946-current, 25 albums)

These are all series, but we also have graphic novels that are published directly as albums:

Henri-Désiré Landru (Chabouté, 2006)

Le Cri du Peuple (Tardi, 2001-2004, 2 albums)

Houppeland (Tronchet, 1993-1999, 2 albums)

Does that answer your questions?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

cugel posted:

More respect for the medium, which attracts talented artists.

The discussion made me curious about Angoulême's festival posters:

https://www.sudouest.fr/2018/11/21/en-images-45-ans-d-affiches-du-festival-international-de-la-bande-dessinee-d-angouleme-5582549-4953.php

Lots of beloved names.

I don’t know about respect for the medium. 3/4 of comics artists in France earn less than minimum wage from their work.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Lol americans suck at basketball

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Trust my experience as a civil servant in France: she can just not show up and then if asked about it say « oh, j’ai eu un empêchement ». Maybe she can half-shrug as a form of apology. It’ll be fine.

Of course she could also confront them, but this sounds like a situation where sentences like « non mais c’est pour rigoleeeeer » would be used a lot, so...

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Darmanin n’est plus mon ministre, youpi !

Quoi, il est ministre de l’intérieur ?

Et maintenant Marlène Schiappa bosse sous ses ordres ?

Lmao

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Also Montchalin is the new minister in charge of the public sector and of its reform

I am going to die

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK3J2sDEQ1M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Just embrace the rudeness, make it yours and you will never feel unsafe again