Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

lost in postation posted:

I think it's more comparable to "negro" in contemporary American usage - stinks of historical racism, not acceptable in polite conversation but not a career-ending slur either.

I think this is more correct, I remember my mom (who left France in the mid-80s) using it when I was a kid, never, ever as a slur but rather just as the word to be used to refer to black people.

I haven't heard her use the term in a long while though so my guess is one of her sisters told her it's no longer a word that's used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

quote:

Selon une source policière, la victime décédée était défavorablement connue des services de police. La préfecture a indiqué plus tard dans la soirée que l'enquête privilégiait l'hypothèse du règlement de compte, écartant la piste terroriste.

Probably still white ISIS, what would the cops know.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

hollande was very hard to take seriously in these situations

This is actually what the French version of Where's Waldo looks like.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Condiv posted:

whoa, thousands of euros of aid and you get no results? these people are truly beyond help...

He actually said billions, milliards and milliers are two different words the translator didn't differentiate between apparently.

He also doesn't actually blame women with 7-8 kids, that's pretty disingenuous, he just says that those kinds of demographic issues are one of the myriad of problems Africa has to deal with which is far greater than the challenges that had to be dealt with when it came to Marshall Aid.

It'd be nice if the tweet showed the whole speech instead of just 28 spliced seconds.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 10, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've seen like five different people on Facebook like/share/comment on articles about Macron being a giant racist (all in English) and blaming African women for all their woes, it's definitely taking hold on this side of the world.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Ahahahahan les sénateurs ont rejeté la mesure phare du projet de loi de moralisation politique aka les emplois familiaux chez les collaborateurs parlementaires sont toujours legaux.

I'm so shocked that politicians rejected a law that would prevent them from being huge nepotists!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The bigger the motorcade the bigger your penis, didn't you know that?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In other news: six out of ten French people are over the age of 30.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's actually hilarious.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Journalists these days not even bothering with using accents in their tweets :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My mom thinks he's a gently caress-up because he was literally not in the public eye at all basically until he became President of the republic, which is a pretty loving major step to take in one go. She thinks as long as he surrounds himself with intelligent people he'll end up being fine, and she's willing to forgive him saying the wrong thing until about Christmas while he gets used to being the biggest political figure in France after basically being a nobody.

I personally think people just voted for him to oppose LePen, I mean, your choice was literally Nazis, or some other dude who's still very right wing and he's not going to get better.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm phone posting so someone else will have to post it but America is not happy with Hedbo today lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

to be fair it's a really bad take

Yeah it's not great, but I do like the whole aspect of Neo Nazis being pro Christian and the cartoon saying God exists in their destruction and all.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

I live in North America, mais j'ai glandé toute la journée quand même afin de soutenir mes confrères français... aussi parce que je suis flemmard.
This is a fantastic idea and I will be doing it tomorrow as well.

Solidarité

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

Liberté, egalité, fraternité, solidarité... jours ferriers

Fixed it for you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Honestly all of us in Vancouver thought the Olympics there were spending way too much money and were going to be super poo poo but they ended up being pretty cool.

That said the odds of us having a terrorist attack in the middle of the games were pretty low.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Nothing says France like phrases stolen from America.

Why does Paris even want the games, anyway? It's not like the need the exposure. I'm pretty sure even the biggest idiot in the middle of nowhere, USA, knows the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre exist and are considered pretty good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

It's a real estate wet dream, you can rebuild whole part of the town as the olympic village without the usual tons of legal protections to bother you and you can resell them as habitation to richer people later. The fact that the village will be build in Seine Saint Denis is pretty telling. I expect some serious gentrification. gently caress, everyone with money and their mothers are probably already buying some buildings around the site.
Some past example:
http://sociologyinfocus.com/2012/08/the-olympic-transformation-regeneration-or-gentrification/
http://www.rioonwatch.org/?p=6600

Maybe tour guides over here will stop telling people to avoid going to St. Denis Cathedral because it's in a dangerous part of Paris (because there are black people and black people are scary).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't decide if my favourite couscousgate guy is the one who accuses Philippot of being a secret infilatrating leftist, or the guy who said that when the party kicks him out we'll celebrate with a good choucrotte. I feel like there's an Antoinette joke to be made there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Merdetron

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's maybe the least amount of effort I have ever seen put into a book cover.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know when I consider emulating successful French Presidents Sarkozy is definitely my number one choice.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

A FN député was violently beaten this weekend by a group of antifascists.

Can’t say that I’m sad.

Haha awesome.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Le soleil ne se couche jamais sur l'empire Francais.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Current mood:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Why is the left in France so terrible at everything (including geography, apparently).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Glorious France is making headlines internationally: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/10/23/does-happen-often-macrons-dog-interrupts-meeting-urinating-elysee-palace

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
WTF?

Literally time to bring back the guillotine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Why the gently caress wouldn't spanish just use -e or -i as a gender neutral ending ahhhhhh

But yeah if I was going to gender neutral something in French I'd just go for the masculine ending.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

julian assflange posted:

Still laughing when I think of that cover

I wish we could make a picture the thread title.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Surely that cannot be legal.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Capitalism can best be destroyed from the inside, anyway.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

lost in postation posted:

A literal fascist pig!

Hey we don't know the pig was fascist, just the owners!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/iskandrah/status/930291677037600768

Please tell me that there's a misunderstanding here. :psyboom:

I mean, it can be done not too stupidly, in Canada it's 14, but only if the person the 14-year-old is banging is 16 or younger. For everyone else the law is 16.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yeah, I don't see your point? Under Canadian law all of those examples would be considered rape, but teenagers are still able to bang each other freely the way kids do without it being illegal.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, you clearly don't. I quoted that tweet because it seemed insane to me that France has no age of consent law. What the gently caress did you think I was trying to say?
Oh, I thought your point was that 13 is a ridiculously low age of consent. I mean, no 30-year-old should be banging 13-year-olds, quite frankly.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We should probably get our own pope again, too, just to show we’re serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

julian assflange posted:

Holy lol at Charlie Hebdo’s cover this week

Post it here?