Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

D3 gearing is still a bit heady to me.

I'm at the point where I have mostly completed the starter builds for characters and can start to clear T16s and GR90s. Is the priority to level up gems, get ancient gear and then aug them? And at what point should I attempt Echoing Nightmares?

Maybe the first question to ask yourself is: "What do I want to get out of this season?" If you only want to get the extra stash tab (PC only, not on consoles) or you just want the Guardian portrait frame and new pet, there's a pretty straightforward roadmap to that. You might instead want to push leaderboards, or try out all the new six-piece sets if you haven't played in a while. Having a clear-ish idea for what you want to do can help with specific recommendations.

My first "big" goal each season is to clear GR70 solo since that gets Primal Ancients dropping, and if nothing else they break down into fifteen Forgotten Souls. After that, I work toward completing the entirety of the Season Journey; Augment an Ancient Item is almost always the very last thing I do.

Gems (non-legendary) are the currency of augmenting, so having a kit with Broken Crown is helpful here; it emanates, so you can have it on your follower if you're playing solo. I save up Puzzle Rings and run Greed's Realm over and over once I've got a half-dozen. I also make it a point to wear it whenever a Rainbow Goblin gets popped and I wind up in Whimsydale.

At this point I'm generally looking to augment. I generally follow Raxx's guidance to augment my speed GR kit first, but there are some exceptions/nuances here: shared items have priority (Wraps of Clarity wind up in a lot of kits, as does Mortick's Brace), and with Echoing Nightmare it might make more sense to prioritize augmenting your EN kit.

It's also worth spending a little time to gear up your followers, since they're incredibly helpful now. With a Ring of Royal Grandeur your follower can wear Cain's (extra GR keystones) and Sage's (double Death's Breaths) which really speeds up acquiring them; gear up a second follower to support pushing Greater Rifts and swap between them as appropriate.

As far as when to attempt the Echoing Nightmare, my very generic answer is "whenever you're clearing GR100 without too much fuss", but truthfully the drop rate for Petrified Scream is often enough (about the same as Ramaladni's Gift) that trying one now to get the hang of it is just fine. It's worth knowing that hard CC (pulls/stuns) don't work in there, and enemies don't spawn health globes, so don't take Reaper's Wraps and don't expect to stun/freeze anything. They are pretty fast, maybe two or three minutes generally. Make sure you have room in your inventory to pick up a bunch of stuff, the exit timer is only thirty seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Tezzeract posted:

Is the priority to level up gems, get ancient gear and then aug them? And at what point should I attempt Echoing Nightmares?

Ya pretty much. You can start doing ENs whenever. Grouping makes it easier. It's the easiest way to get a 125 gem to help aug early. Also it really depends on the build. Some builds are much better at soloing ENs. You ideally want to get to lvl 125 so you can get a 125 gem from the chest.

EDIT: Also everything becoming said above me

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

becoming posted:

gear up a second follower to support pushing Greater Rifts and swap between them as appropriate.

Heck. How long have I been playing this game in this common sense thing never occurred to me?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I was looking for the D3 goons discord and didn't see it in the OP, can someone hook me up?

Barring that, anybody wanna PL my seasonal non-hc monk on playstation?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I can powerlevel you. I'll send a PM with my PSN name.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dross posted:

I was looking for the D3 goons discord and didn't see it in the OP, can someone hook me up?

Barring that, anybody wanna PL my seasonal non-hc monk on playstation?

https://discord.com/channels/248954316327485440/248954316327485440

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

This link is not working for me.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
https://discord.gg/bJwq8z2
Things are kind of dead in there, especially on the console side of things.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I could use more D3 goons on my friends list now that I'm back on PSN.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Fingat posted:

I could use more D3 goons on my friends list now that I'm back on PSN.

You and I should play some Diablo. You added me years back from the console thread but I don't think we've ever actually gotten a game in. I'll ping you on Discord (you're on the Diablo 3 Goons discord that KenBearlLOLOL linked, right?) next time I'm available for multiplayer. We got Dross leveled and ran a few GRs to get them geared up a bit so that's at least three of us. I've also got three other friends with whom I regularly play on PlayStation so it's reasonable to think that we could get a semi-decent squad for running GRs, and at the very least it will make split bounties much faster.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Yeah, I'd be down for some full group goon play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Is there a Diablo Immortal thread and/or Discord? I'd like to get into a goon clan.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Is there a Diablo Immortal thread and/or Discord? I'd like to get into a goon clan.

Don't think there's a thread yet. Might make sense just to combine all the Diablo games (D2R, D3, Diablo: Immortal) into one actually.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
there's a dimmortal thread in mobile games

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873264

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I need to pacify my brain with some numbers going up. Any suggestions for Diablo alternatives that might be a bit less well known (I've played a bunch of TQ and GD)?

The old Dungeon Sieges are a buck each, but from what I've heard they're not worth revisiting.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sounds like you like classic games, when's the last time you gave Diablo 1 a whirl? There are some quality of life mods out there for it.

As far as more modern games, Torchlight and Path of Exile come to mind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One of the Torchlights might be appropriate, because they're dumb simple looters without much fluff. It's just that their issues become more apparent the longer you play.

I always stayed away from PoE because it sounded like a PITA to figure out how everything works.

I should check out Diablo 1 eventually, but I'm not in the right mindset for modding atm.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Diablo 2 is probably the best if you don't feel like smashing yourself into poe's learning curve, though it involves giving money to bobby kotick.

Chronicon and Slormancer are both fun little arpg number-goes-up games that are both good for a few days to a week of fun. Both have pretty nifty crafting systems. Last Epoch is probably the other serious non-AAA arpg and it's probably a lot closer to d3 in terms of approachability than anything else I've listed. It has a skill tree that feels very much influenced by how D3 handles skills, except LE has a small tree of upgrades you can get for each skill. It also has a pretty good crafting system.

grim dawn historically was one of the decent suggestions in the genre, though idk how well it has aged and I always remember it as the game with like 16 kinds of resistances

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wishlisted those, thanks.

These are the loot games I have according to Playnite, filtered by Steam user tags.

Sacred 2 has a weird cooldown managment system and is all round janky. And Van Helsing just didn't seem very good during the few hours I spent with it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It's not released but Last Epoch is pretty good if you don't mind early access.

I liked van helsing too, just be aware there are three shorter games, on one called final cut which is all three built into the latest ones engine.

It's not a diablo clone but Hades scratched my arpg itch for awhile.

Poe is great but I cannot stress enough that right now the game is even more brutal than normal

E. Also immortal is out next week

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, and Godfall would be the ones I'm comfortable recommending you check out, in that order

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Godfall is absolutely unplayable garbage, please don’t give them any $$, one of the worst games I’ve ever seen.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Seconding Hades

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hades is really good, lots of cool builds to try and lots of replay value.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Absolutely one of the best games of the last decade, Hades is fantastic and the build variety is pretty impressive

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yep. Go play Hades.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Did Wolcen ever amount to anything?

I know it had a rocky release, then went quiet for a long time, then released a DLC expansion not long ago. But these days that doesn't necessarily mean they actually bothered fixing any core issues.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hades is great if you like bullethells. Since I see Enter The Gungeon in your screenshot, I'm guessing you do.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Shadow Warrior 2 is completely mindless and I recommend playing it on mute and skipping every cutscene while listening to podcasts if you want to play it. 1 and 3 are much better but they're basically straight up linear fps games. I was also a big fan of the first Darksiders since it was like an unsubtle mix of god of war and zelda so i felt like adding a loot system was not needed in the sequel. Ppl loved it though.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Zenithe posted:

Poe is great but I cannot stress enough that right now the game is even more brutal than normal

Path of Exile is not in a good spot right now. I would suggest to revisit in the future if GGG gets their poo poo together ever.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Xeras posted:

Path of Exile is not in a good spot right now. I would suggest to revisit in the future if GGG gets their poo poo together ever.

High level explanation? Was looking into it...

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

High level explanation? Was looking into it...

So just for the most recent example they revamped modifiers on magic and rare monsters and released them in a completely overtuned state with the latest league that caused most people to quit. They claimed these changes were extensively tested but have patched them 4 times since. Every league since ultimatum(3.14. Current league is 3.18 so 4th league) has received not much support past 2 weeks in which is a change from the past. Most longterm players I know don't think the game is on a good trajectory.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
And there's one really basic reason it's not good: that skill tree is the biggest clusterfuck I have ever seen in my entire life.

The crafting system is also a nightmare

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Xeras posted:

So just for the most recent example they revamped modifiers on magic and rare monsters and released them in a completely overtuned state with the latest league that caused most people to quit. They claimed these changes were extensively tested but have patched them 4 times since. Every league since ultimatum(3.14. Current league is 3.18 so 4th league) has received not much support past 2 weeks in which is a change from the past. Most longterm players I know don't think the game is on a good trajectory.

Eh mis-steps with archnemesis mods aside, the extremely broad consensus among people currently playing is that the game is in by far the best state it's ever been and that the endgame overhaul is extremely good. They also patched the undertested stuff 4 times within 2 weeks and the current state of it feels good.

Idk if I'd actually recommend people play poe generally because the learning curve is definitely not for everyone and it's a fairly punishing game, but it seems to be chugging along just fine. The last major endgame overhaul in 3.17 (where they added basically a second over the top passive tree that influences what parts of the endgame you engage in) has been incredibly popular both with casuals and more obsessive players alike.

I generally just don't include it as a suggestion because I feel like most people into playing something like that are probably already playing it. Also cuz it already generally has a basically 100% overlap with people who played diablo 3, so it's kind of redundant to even suggest. It's kind of a freak as far as the genre goes and idk what is even close to it anymore. It tends to be either extremely the game for people or very much not what they're looking for and imo that's probably a good way for it to be.

I am very curious to see what D4s approach to an arpg endgame/crafting system will be. imo there's a huge gaping hole in the arpg market between the respective depths of d3 and poe. Last Epoch is clearly trying to position themselves there and they do a good job for a game made by a small team, but I think there's a huge market for something with specifically AAA polish and design.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Eh mis-steps with archnemesis mods aside, the extremely broad consensus among people currently playing is that the game is in by far the best state it's ever been and that the endgame overhaul is extremely good. They also patched the undertested stuff 4 times within 2 weeks and the current state of it feels good.

Idk if I'd actually recommend people play poe generally because the learning curve is definitely not for everyone and it's a fairly punishing game, but it seems to be chugging along just fine. The last major endgame overhaul in 3.17 (where they added basically a second over the top passive tree that influences what parts of the endgame you engage in) has been incredibly popular both with casuals and more obsessive players alike.

I generally just don't include it as a suggestion because I feel like most people into playing something like that are probably already playing it. Also cuz it already generally has a basically 100% overlap with people who played diablo 3, so it's kind of redundant to even suggest. It's kind of a freak as far as the genre goes and idk what is even close to it anymore. It tends to be either extremely the game for people or very much not what they're looking for and imo that's probably a good way for it to be.

I am very curious to see what D4s approach to an arpg endgame/crafting system will be. imo there's a huge gaping hole in the arpg market between the respective depths of d3 and poe. Last Epoch is clearly trying to position themselves there and they do a good job for a game made by a small team, but I think there's a huge market for something with specifically AAA polish and design.

3.17 Definitely was the best PoE has ever been. imo 3.18 decidedly was the opposite with the nerfs to ashes drop rate, omni drop rate, a stale meta, and archnemesis being crapped into the core game.

Edit: and 3.17 was only good for the atlas changes, not the league.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Xeras posted:

3.17 Definitely was the best PoE has ever been. imo 3.18 decidedly was the opposite with the nerfs to ashes drop rate, omni drop rate, a stale meta, and archnemesis being crapped into the core game.

Edit: and 3.17 was only good for the atlas changes, not the league.

Yeah I generally agree and I'll happily talk more about this in the poe thread if you want so as not to derail this thread too much.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Field Mousepad posted:

And there's one really basic reason it's not good: that skill tree is the biggest clusterfuck I have ever seen in my entire life.

The crafting system is also a nightmare

Three times I have tried to get into the game and all three times I’ve uninstalled after seeing that skill tree.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
PoE has always seemed to me like if this was the only genre of video games that I liked and really just needed the most pure, uncut, raw fishscale nitty gritty loot and skill tree minutia then PoE was the move and for anyone seeking less than that was probably a bridge too far.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The PoE skill tree isn't really the problem (build guides are not particularly hard to follow); the problem is that the endgame gearing is an inscrutable salad of twelve different content types with partially overlapping reward structures and if you try to follow a guide for that suddenly you're in 2 hour YouTube video territory.

Diablo 3 is the other end of the spectrum, where there are exactly three endgame content types (four now I guess), it's generally pretty clear which one you want to be doing, and none of them require you to understand much about mechanics aside from "slay skeletons".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I shout out last epoch a bunch because it's the only arpg I've played that both has some genuine depth to it while also being so well explained and annotated in game that I literally never have to alt-tab to read a wiki or a guide to figure out how a mechanic works. It sounds like a small thing, but man it's hard to overstate how much having to alt tab to check guides or wikis breaks the flow of a game. I really wish this was the standard in the genre, but it aint happening any time soon.