Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass bounties are just another easy way to get Avarice if you ever plan on using the mats for reforges and upgrades anyway, for which 17 bags is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. You’ll probably end up running hundreds each season by the time you’re P1000. Or put another way, I could always use more bounty bags but I’d only ever waste time leveling up a boon just for the conquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

You’ll probably end up running hundreds each season by the time you’re P1000.

I get the impression most of us ‘round here are a bit more casual than that.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Anyone who's played a few seasons if not every single one has run countless bounties, grifts, boss speed kills, etc. by now. If you end up playing more than a few weeks, you're bound to have spent enough time doing all of the above many times over. I say just have fun and don't overthink it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
P1k is hard not to hit now with GR power creep. Even said, I think the most I ever snagged in a single season was somewhere in the mid teens and hitting like 2.3k paragons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Rinkles posted:

I get the impression most of us ‘round here are a bit more casual than that.

There's casual and then there's "I have never done 3.5 full bounty runs in a single season" casual. If you ever have or ever plan to in S27, then you can easily get Avarice along the way.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Public group bounties are like the perfect TV watching side job. It's like 15 minutes for a full set. Get 2-4 knocked out depending on your length of episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can’t you also easily craft a cow bardiche as a level 1 Barb or monk or something?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
After grinding out that 10,000 bounties achievement a few years ago I've made a point of completing each season with as few as possible. Generally one round at low torment for Haedrig's Gift then another 2 or 3 rounds at T16 for the journey requirements (40 items extracted in the cube and a legendary reforge). Usually end up around P800 and Avarice has never been an issue whether using Cow Portals or Ruins of Corvus beetles.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Saders can only craft 3 polearms and the cow stick is one of them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would rather cut off one of my fingers and eat it than grind out 10,000 bounties.

Like I’ve been playing since launch and I’ve maybe done 5,000 in my life, but probably not even half that many.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 17, 2022

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
It's ok I started around 6,000 :shepicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Swilo posted:

After grinding out that 10,000 bounties achievement a few years ago I've made a point of completing each season with as few as possible. Generally one round at low torment for Haedrig's Gift then another 2 or 3 rounds at T16 for the journey requirements (40 items extracted in the cube and a legendary reforge). Usually end up around P800 and Avarice has never been an issue whether using Cow Portals or Ruins of Corvus beetles.

This is me but without doing 10k bounties

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Running bounties isn't that fuckin horrible you god drat babies.

Or get a good hookup with someone that's got a baker account and get your cookies that way.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

They only good thing about bounties is the random chance of goblin shrines and other gobbos you don't always see in rifts. They're just not fun and feel like they're designed to waste time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bounties are fine, they break up the monotony of just endlessly chaining GRs and are a great source for crafting mats and reforges when you need to start optimizing gear. If you know what you're doing then they don't take very much time at all, even in public groups.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whenever I do group bounties I just go do every boss fight by myself while the plebs do the busy work and then I usually go and run the Act V mission that always requires you to run through the whole city and the bounties are usually done by now.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Bounties are not fine, they're mind numbingly boring and I'd rather do anything else in the game. I'll do a couple to get a rorg or some crafting mats but that's it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
No worse than running T16 rifts or 90-110+ speeds imo.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Yeah, I don't mind bounties and it's how I always get averence on switch.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
The trick to bounties is playing a class with a good speed build, so that you can finish two acts by the time the other three players in your group have finished theirs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Placeholder posted:

The trick to bounties is playing a class with a good speed build, so that you can finish two acts by the time the other three players in your group have finished theirs.

I spend most of my time in public bounties silently judging anybody slower than me, which is usually everyone. SMDH at the people who don't even know to TP to Keeps Level 2 to complete Forged in Battle faster.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
The trick to bounties is joining a public game and then going afk.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bamhand posted:

No worse than running T16 rifts or 90-110+ speeds imo.

It’s a completely different game mode that requires spending as much time in your fast travel map menu as you spend clicking on demons. That sucks.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Season 28: oops all bounties.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
4 inna monks, 5 acts, 2 minutes

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

exquisite tea posted:

a great source for crafting mats and reforges when you need to start optimizing gear.

I never play a season that long :shrug:

RodShaft posted:

Season 28: oops all bounties.

Give me the season of all rainbow goblins god damnit I want those wings!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Swilo posted:

I never play a season that long :shrug:

Give me the season of all rainbow goblins god damnit I want those wings!

My perma group is three people big. We'd farm rainbow goblins while doing bounties. One day we're getting started up and the third person said, "you guys just go ahead, it's cool."

We got the wings like 15 minutes later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here's an interesting thought experiment: What is the most powerful unique from D2 to also have relevance in D3? It's amusing how the majority of truly GG items from D2 are total crap in this game, mostly left behind with the Loot 2.0 overhaul. Magefist and Frostburn still get used in some LoD setups. Tgod's got some use in vanilla and then never again. Mara's was at one time BiS in those very early RoS seasons because of the poison immunity. Manald Heal had its day in the sun with Lightning Archon but that build has long since faded from prominence. And then you have the grand majority of stuff like Blackhand Key and The Oculus that have never factored into the meta whatsoever. I think my answer would probably be regular old SoJ. Even though it doesn't get used much these days, it was a BiS ring for all of vanilla and through a few early seasons until more attractive options like CoE and F/R came about. And it might become an attractive choice again for some Tal Wiz setups -- I guess Tal's is another potential answer here in its own right. I'm not counting stuff like Tyrael's Might because despite its incredible rarity in D2, it was never that much of a desirable item. I think Tyrael's Might may even be better in D3 because it does at least get used in a couple LoD/follower loadouts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Some of them have found niche uses, but nothing as overtly powerful like they were in Diablo 1 or II.

• IDoombringer was a playable weapon for LoN thorns for crusaders.
  • Messerschmidt's Reaver is a cube power for zbarbs
  • Buriza-Do Kyanon was an all right option for the scoundrel in vanilla
  • Andariel's Visage is an option for LoD builds that need its elemental damage
  • Goldskin was playable for speed builds, but with the follower gear change, you just have them wear it instead
  • Goldwrap is a survival item for speed farming builds to keep your toughness up with Boon of the Hoarder
  • Stormshield is a survival option for zdps builds running in high level grift groups

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when did Diablo 3 get The Last Of Us-type zombies as a monster layout for rifts? I assume it was in one of the months where I wasn't playing, but what was the gimmick around that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gradenko_2000 posted:

when did Diablo 3 get The Last Of Us-type zombies as a monster layout for rifts? I assume it was in one of the months where I wasn't playing, but what was the gimmick around that?

I need you to be a little more specific because I never played Last of Us

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

I need you to be a little more specific because I never played Last of Us

you occasionally get a rift where the monster types are only three kinds of zombies, notably ones that fling projectiles that cause clouds of poison

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
It's a Playstation only thing, it's standard with the Ultimate Evil edition.

I've never seen them myself but I rarely play on console.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paid money to post posted:

It's a Playstation only thing, it's standard with the Ultimate Evil edition.

I've never seen them myself but I rarely play on console.

wow huh a playstation exclusive makes sense, thanks

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I did not know that, but I only play the PC version

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Star Man posted:

Some of them have found niche uses, but nothing as overtly powerful like they were in Diablo 1 or II.

• IDoombringer was a playable weapon for LoN thorns for crusaders.
  • Messerschmidt's Reaver is a cube power for zbarbs
  • Buriza-Do Kyanon was an all right option for the scoundrel in vanilla
  • Andariel's Visage is an option for LoD builds that need its elemental damage
  • Goldskin was playable for speed builds, but with the follower gear change, you just have them wear it instead
  • Goldwrap is a survival item for speed farming builds to keep your toughness up with Boon of the Hoarder
  • Stormshield is a survival option for zdps builds running in high level grift groups

If we're going all the way back to D1 then it might be Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac, as that still features prominently in a few Barb/Wiz builds. Not a unique though!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goldwrap is the only one of those that I use on every class every season, so there is my vote.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Wasn't storm shield mandatory for inferno clears? If you want to cheat and count etherals, bartucs, wiz spike, buriza definitely had it's time to shine.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

exquisite tea posted:

If we're going all the way back to D1 then it might be Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac, as that still features prominently in a few Barb/Wiz builds. Not a unique though!!

I have only played fifteen minutes of Diablo 1 and keep forgetting that Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac is a callback to a magical ring from that game. I think it's because those blue mod names aren't used in Diablo II.

I know about Stormshield and The Grandfather being D1 uniques though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
SoJ used to be an alternate ring for certain builds 10+ seasons ago when you'd try to just stack +elem damage. But goldwrap/goldskin/zodiac are gonna be the only ones in heavy use, though goldskin the distant third there.