Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is this another thing we can blame South Park for? 'The truth is in the middle' and all that.

Maybe it's just as well that South Park has traditionally completely ignored anything resembling leftist politics.

If anything the biggest crime of centrism is making people think its actually impossible for two groups of people to both be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
When did "centrist" become prescriptive rather than descriptive?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkKwyjsJGxk

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is the thread I've always wanted

What the hell is a "radical centrist" anyway

At this point it probably is something like me, who believes inequity the most important political issue of the day but doesn't believe literally communism is the answer

Otherwise it's the "fever swamp of the center" where you dismiss both the democrats and republicans and say "the answer is in the middle." Or you pretend there are rational policy driven pols on the GOP side, accept Paul Ryan, the ash ketchum of bad hard right economic ideas, and then pretend his Con plans to enrich the 0.1% are somehow not going to be disastrous to everyone else

Karl Barks posted:

i have literally no beliefs

"Stay the course, everything is fine"

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Jul 13, 2017

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Nebakenezzer posted:

At this point it probably is something like me, who believes inequity the most important political issue of the day but doesn't believe literally communism is the answer

Otherwise it's the "fever swamp of the center" where you dismiss both the democrats and republicans and say "the answer is in the middle." Or you pretend there are rational policy driven pols on the GOP side, accept Paul Ryan, the ash ketchum of bad hard right economic ideas, and then pretend his Con plans to enrich the 0.1% are somehow not going to be disastrous to everyone else

Have you ever heard this... proverb, I guess, "Idiots think that the Civil War was about slavery. The educated learned that the Civil War was about states rights. People who actually study the Civil War know that it was about slavery."

You can retool it for radical centrists as, "Idiots base follow an ideology that fits their material reality. The educated reject all forms of ideology and seek to find the best path forward. People who actually understand politics follow an ideology that fits a collective's material reality."

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

MizPiz posted:

Have you ever heard this... proverb, I guess, "Idiots think that the Civil War was about slavery. The educated learned that the Civil War was about states rights. People who actually study the Civil War know that it was about slavery."

You can retool it for radical centrists as, "Idiots base follow an ideology that fits their material reality. The educated reject all forms of ideology and seek to find the best path forward. People who actually understand politics follow an ideology that fits a collective's material reality."

this is just your dad's version of the galaxy brain meme

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
#TheResistance

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/885541188245364736

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nebakenezzer posted:

"Stay the course, everything is fine"

if u think inequity is the most important issue of the day then you're not centrist

centrists think everything's fine except for a few needed tweaks (specifically, labor laws have got to go,also taxes on the rich. we need more taxes on the poor tho). that's why macron's gutting taxes in france and practicing starve the beast!

centrists also don't care about social inequity, like gay marriage. that's why centrist superhero angela merkel voted against same sex marriage in germany

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I'm old enough to remember begala's 'hard working white folks' fuckup back in early primary season '08

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Condiv posted:

if u think inequity is the most important issue of the day then you're not centrist

centrists think everything's fine except for a few needed tweaks (specifically, labor laws have got to go,also taxes on the rich. we need more taxes on the poor tho). that's why macron's gutting taxes in france and practicing starve the beast!

centrists also don't care about social inequity, like gay marriage. that's why centrist superhero angela merkel voted against same sex marriage in germany

he yes, Paul Ryan, famous centrist

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this is just your dad's version of the galaxy brain meme

Well I guess you losers need to keep up cause clearly I'm ahead of the meme game by decades. :smuggo:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The question you gotta ask yourself is this: has it ever been time for some game theory?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

projecthalaxy posted:

The question you gotta ask yourself is this: has it ever been time for some game theory?

there has never not been time for game theory

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

You gotta snort some crushed-up Addy and have a couple craft beers and you won't even have to ask that question anymore.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

When people talk about / advocate centrism they are really advocating for the status quo and policies that benefit that status quo. At the moment, this is neoliberal capitalism.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Feldegast42 posted:

When people talk about / advocate centrism they are really advocating for the status quo and policies that benefit that status quo. At the moment, this is neoliberal capitalism.

:agreed:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Condiv posted:

Good

So is centrism actually believed by anybody at all not explicitly in the media/political apparatus

It sounds like "has political views" and "centrism" actually don't overlap at all

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Actually the idea of 'alt-center' is still amusing because it'd be the status quo but actively sexist and racist to get in on that growth market

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
am i a radical centrist if I think that "equity" is paternalism with a mother's face and that pursuing policies oriented towards an abstract concept of equality, without consideration for the idiosyncratic needs of special interest groups, is and has always been the correct course

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

centrists call themselves moderates all the time still it helps them pretend they're the reasonable adults in the room rather than just a step away from fascism and telling people who give a gently caress about real human suffering 'to be realistic'
considering how calling themselves "moderates" adds a veneer of moral superiority over the "extremes" on both sides, i don't understand why that term isn't used more by them

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

he yes, Paul Ryan, famous centrist

macron too, but if you wanna say macron's as bad as paul ryan i won't stop you

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the trump tutelage posted:

am i a radical centrist if I think that "equity" is paternalism with a mother's face and that pursuing policies oriented towards an abstract concept of equality, without consideration for the idiosyncratic needs of special interest groups, is and has always been the correct course

I suppose this depends on whether you define special interest groups as "bankers and pharma executives", as the left does, or "racial, gender, and sexual minorities", as the right does

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Nebakenezzer posted:

Actually the idea of 'alt-center' is still amusing because it'd be the status quo but actively sexist and racist to get in on that growth market

https://twitter.com/arionkeys/status/885321679911694336

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
the alt left wants to check white privilege
the alt right celebrates anti-blackness
the alt center criticizes "white privilege" as a wilful misunderstanding of the difference between privileges and rights

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I suppose this depends on whether you define special interest groups as "bankers and pharma executives", as the left does, or "racial, gender, and sexual minorities", as the right does

both, naturally

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

was joan walsh the centrist who sourced animenazinews.com?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Condiv posted:

was joan walsh the centrist who sourced animenazinews.com?

That was Joy Reid but they've been on some sort of race to out bad-Dem eachother so I can understand the confusion.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the trump tutelage posted:

the alt left wants to check white privilege
the alt right celebrates anti-blackness
the alt center criticizes "white privilege" as a wilful misunderstanding of the difference between privileges and rights

this editorial is going around the Rad-Center today and it's basically this: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/12/...eft-region&_r=0

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

what a wonderful centrist!

https://twitter.com/SupportFLOC/status/885581709529534464

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Troy Queef posted:

this editorial is going around the Rad-Center today and it's basically this: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/12/...eft-region&_r=0

I'm not sure this person gets that the dirtbag left is SJWs who have an irony game instead of a compulsive need to play into the alt-right's narrative.

Then again I get the impression that centrists love having the alt-right around as foils to their self-image.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Jul 14, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Troy Queef posted:

Why does this section of the 'left' seem to call themselves feminists while demanding women become damsels in distress who need men to stand up for them. Curse you Andrea Dworkins and your pushing the concept of victimhood as a virtue.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Byolante posted:

Why does this section of the 'left' seem to call themselves feminists while demanding women become damsels in distress who need men to stand up for them. Curse you Andrea Dworkins and your pushing the concept of victimhood as a virtue.

quote:

I always think: Why is this even our responsibility to fix? Women Black people didn’t invent sex racism. White [m]en did.

my actually problem with her argument is that she's lecturing the people who actually do what she's asking dudes to do except effectively instead but still uh :thunk:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oh hey, remember macron's racist speech that r/neoliberal decided wasn't racist?

turns out libertarians aren't the best judge of what is or isn't racist, much to hamprince's chagrin:

quote:

The condemnation online was swift and relentless. The US political scientist Laura Seay summarised the problem many had with Macron’s words in a series of tweets: “It is RICH for a French president to criticise Africa this way,” she said. “France’s colonial theory was called the ‘mission civilisatrice’, which purported to bring all the benefits of Frenchness to the continent. Part of the ‘mission’ was the institutionalisation of Catholicism as the official religion of French colonial territories in Africa.”

“We see all kinds of effects of the ‘mission civilisatrice’ in Francophone Africa today,” she continued, “like the church’s teaching against contraceptive use, which most African adherents take very seriously. Do women in Francophone Africa want to give birth to far more children than they can reasonably feed, clothe, and educate? I doubt most do.”
Macron’s statements make the blood boil not because they are novel but because they make no mention of the root causes of the challenges of which the president speaks. Gone is the lucid, welcome admission that France’s role in its former colonies was anything but laudable. He now says nothing of the fact that France’s future is indelibly tied to that of its former colonies, and that the relation between the two remains largely neocolonial: Francophone Africa still trades heavily with France, and French companies – particularly in the extractive industries – have a strong presence on the continent.

More controversially, France’s relationship with its former colonies – known as Françafrique – is perhaps best captured by the use of the CFA franc currency, which offers little benefit to the Francophone nations. As the Cameroonian journalist Julie Owono has written: “CFA zone countries have to deposit 50% of their currency reserves into a so-called operations account managed by the French treasury.”

Militarily, France also continues to embroil itself in issues of state in its former colonies, but is often silent on human and civil rights abuses. Again, look at Cameroon, where the strongman Paul Biya imprisons opponents with no charge, meets peaceful protest with violence, and turns off the internet in order to silence his people – all of which has elicited not a peep from the French regime.

of course, this was all fairly obvious to anyone who wasn't a smoothbrained centrist

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Colonialism is bad? :thunk:

If anything modern centrists prove that the left right dichotomy is outdated as poo poo. I have more in common with paleocons and trad cats than neocons and neolibs

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

but doesn't believe literally communism is the answer

nice to know we can safely discount your opinion about anything

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

JEB! is the answer!

Cuck Yeah!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Condiv posted:

oh hey, remember macron's racist speech that r/neoliberal decided wasn't racist?

turns out libertarians aren't the best judge of what is or isn't racist, much to hamprince's chagrin:

of course, this was all fairly obvious to anyone who wasn't a smoothbrained centrist

So basically French Africa runs on company scrip. Cool.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

R. Guyovich posted:

along with greece they're the western country (east germany excepted) who came closest to a communist government after wwii so it's not surprising

Italy came really close.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MaxxBot posted:

JEB! is the answer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

*greasy twitter boy voice* "hehehe, one thousand years gulag my good sir. seriously tho we'll kill u when we take over"

• Locked thread