Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Second generation Dodge Intrepids (in champagne GOLD with BROWN interior). They were the quintessential car of the middle aged middle class white dad commuting to his mid level management job that would come home and have straight monogamous missionary position coitus two to three nights a week.

Wait, does this mean the Cloud Cars have died off, then? I feel like that's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I see most of these constantly, but I haven't seen an Omni/Horizon in years, nor an Excel. The only Charade I saw continuously is now probably gone. I do see the only Rocky in the county all over, I wonder if he delivers :420: with it or something.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ever since air-cooled 911s have become special snowflake collector cars, I've hardly seen any on the road.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You can't throw a rock in a junkyard without hitting a Dodge Intrepid

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

I can't remember the last time i saw a ford five hundred

They sold like 200k of them and they're 10-12 years old, but they're just gone.

Actually seen a few for sale at bargain basement prices. I'm guessing the whole CVT thing is putting a damper on long-term ownership.

The ones that were rebadged as Tauruses (Taurii?) had the better 3.5L Duratec and a proper 6-speed automatic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The GM Dustbuster vans - I haven't seen one in like a decade.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Domestic Amuse posted:

Actually seen a few for sale at bargain basement prices. I'm guessing the whole CVT thing is putting a damper on long-term ownership.

The ones that were rebadged as Tauruses (Taurii?) had the better 3.5L Duratec and a proper 6-speed automatic.

The Five Hundred only had the CVT if you got AWD.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, you're right. I can't remember the last time I saw one, and they used to be everywhere. I guess every van is like that eventually though.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Q_res posted:

The Five Hundred only had the CVT if you got AWD.

I thought they were all AWD.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Domestic Amuse posted:

I thought they were all AWD.

wikipedia posted:

The Five Hundred/Montego utilize a standard front-wheel drive configuration; an electro-hydraulic Haldex all-wheel drive system is optional.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I saw an Aerostar the other night! It was like 90% dented panels and mismatched junkyard parts, and going 20 under the limit. But it was still moving!

Speaking of which, it seems like Astro vans are getting pretty rare. The used to be the hack handyman's van of choice, but it's been a bit since I've seen one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I saw one a couple days ago in Ukraine of all loving places.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Saw a gen 1 caravan that looked like it drove right off the showroom floor the other day. No idea how it stayed rust free, probably not from around here.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was going to post 1st gen Neon, but everyone already did.

I saw a lovely Sunfire in matte black on Saturday. It was in someone's driveway. It looked non-running.

I haven't seen a Festiva in a decade. (It's name means festive)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That reminds me of the Ford Aspire which somehow has reminded me of all USDM Daewoos.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Saw this Colt Vista yesterday which I didn't even know was a thing.

Proud to be an American and maybe original owner based on the early license plate?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

flightless greeb posted:

Proud to be an American and maybe original owner based on the early license plate?

Any tall roof compact wagon from the 80s is fit for this thread. I get overly excited when I see a 4wd Tercel or Civic.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Mid-90s to early 2000s two-doors seem to have kinda gone missing. I used to see a lot more Fox-body Mustangs, pre-2002 Camaros and Firebirds, Acura CLs, Nissan 300ZXs, and Mitsubishi 3000GTs than I do now. (Supras have remained at a consistent level of rarity, it appears.)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Mid-90s to early 2000s two-doors seem to have kinda gone missing. I used to see a lot more Fox-body Mustangs, pre-2002 Camaros and Firebirds, Acura CLs, Nissan 300ZXs, and Mitsubishi 3000GTs than I do now. (Supras have remained at a consistent level of rarity, it appears.)
A strong counter-point to that are Mk4 2-door VW Golfs. They're everywhere around my city.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Jonny Nox posted:

I haven't seen a Festiva in a decade. (It's name means festive)

There is one in my town in really rough shape, but she runs. I live in a place thats fairly poor (70% of our school kids qualify for free or reduced meals) and very rural. Coupled with no automitive inspections in my state, you can register whatever your heart desires and your wallet can afford. Plenty of automotive oddities are still on the road around here.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

One of my friends drove a Cadillac Catera in high school and I thought it was the coolest poo poo ever. Small RWD V6 sedan, hell yeah!

Nowadays they still catch my eye but more because I think all but three have lunched their engines by now.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

flightless greeb posted:

holy poo poo that brings back memories. We had one of those as the family car when I was a kid, though it was the Mitsubishi-branded variant

they were called "Space Wagons"

p much the most Japanese car name ever

I do remember that those '80s FWD Mitsubishis all had the worst CV axles. Seemed like they were shot on every one of those cars that was more than a year old ... the <clacketa-clacketa-clacketa-clacketa> that they'd make every time you turned sharply is burned into my memory

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

Waffle House posted:

Wait, does this mean the Cloud Cars have died off, then? I feel like that's a good thing.

I was going to say, pretty much all of Chryslers LH cars have died off. 1st and 2nd gen. You don't see Intrepids, Concordes, hell even 300Ms are getting rare to see. Cloud cars too (Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze).

I rarely see any Mark VIIIs on the road anymore either. Since I bought mine last December, I've only seen three other Marks on the road. You also don't see any Dodge Durangos, Ford Thunderbirds/Mercury Cougars.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
The late 70's/late 80's Mitsubishi Mirage or Dodge Colt: I should have bought the one I test drove in 1994 but I didn't have the money and the owner wouldn't budge from his whopping $1500 asking price :suicide: . There was also a Colt GTS in my neighborhood that only came out of the garage when the owner washed it. I doubt I'll ever see one again, but they were quick little buggers.

Plymouth/Dodge Shadow/Sundance/Duster: GONE FOREVER! I remember Dusters being a thing, and have seen just one CSX shadow on the road, ever. I guess the didn't age well. Dodge Omni/Charger GLH,GLHS: I would love to know why muscle car guys, or brand fanatics will collect cars and let them rot. There are two Omni GHLS in my area, and another keeps a Charger, all of them behind chain link fences, and I get the feeling I'll be met with a shotgun if I knock on the door.

The Unicorn for me is a 1988 Camry V6 All-Trac, 5 speed manual. It's out there, somewhere, and I want it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Speaking of that era, I really miss cars with chrome luggage racks on the trunk.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Does everyone posting in this thread live in/near major urban centers or in upscale suburbs or something? Because pretty much every single car in this thread I still see on a regular, sometimes daily basis.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Probably a lot of rust prone areas. Most people don't maintain their cars and without constant attention you've got about 20-25 years tops before a car is too rusted to fix on the cheap and it gets scrapped.

edit: adding to this, all of the gen 1 explorers are scrapped because the cost of rocker replacement exceeds the value of the car. Almost bought one for $600, looked minty in the ad but when I got there the bolt-on running boards were hiding a vast amount of rust.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Old GM A-bodies (Cutlass Ciera, Century, Celebrity and Pontiac 6000) are getting pretty thin on the ground. So are early 90s Mitsubishi Galants and Diamantes. The vast majority of them blew their last wisps of blue smoke back in the early 2000s.

Speaking of which, that's also a thing I used to see growing up in the mid-90s that I rarely see today - cars (mainly old Japanese luxury cars with third and fourth owners) puffing out blue smoke.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Terrible Robot posted:

Does everyone posting in this thread live in/near major urban centers or in upscale suburbs or something? Because pretty much every single car in this thread I still see on a regular, sometimes daily basis.

Could be. I recently moved from a major urban city to a not-so-major, not-so-urban city and there are a lot more older cars here than you'd see in the former. It's also worth noting that said major urban center has strict emissions laws, whereas my new locale has no state emissions laws whatsoever.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Saw an 11th-gen Thunderbird cruising on I49 in Cajun country today.
Mom (who was in diapers when the first-gen came out): Is that a tbird? Is that what they look like now?
Me: That's what they looked like 15 years ago, they stopped making it in '05.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

My first car was a 1987 Dodge Charger. Headgasket blew and after the family mechanic said it would cost more to fix than the car was worth, it was replaced by a two door Cherokee Sport.

Both cars I miss and NEVER see anymore.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Cars start to disappear when they are 20 years old. I remember in 1990 buying 1970s cars for only 3-4x scrap price. If they were interesting then keen buyers bought them, otherwise scrapped (Inc interesting ones because the owners had no idea someone would buy them). So 20 years ago the 1980s cars would have been whittled down and ten years ago anything 1990s would have been scrapped unless it was interesting
I remember how cheap some 1980s cars were in 1995, like you could have your pick and most were under $1k.
I really date myself when ticking along how cars are gone (or gone up in value). Some get saved but hardly ever seen on the street - they're someone's project car or completed but locked away from thieves. Others were too boring to be something special so what happened? EG every mazda 323/ford laser, or nissan pulsar/holden astra, fwd toyota corolla seem gone. These were high sellers and everywhere but weren't anything special. Some FWD cars (like the hyundai excel mentioned before) probably got bought up for the spec rally series as chassis or spares as having a spec series probably saved them.

Anything RWD might be worth something and just hidden away as a survivor, eg old japanese cars, domestics, ford cortinas. But I am suprised at the lack of 90s holden commodores and ford falcons on the road. But then again, they're at the age where they are worth nothing so people crush them just because shocks and brake discs or something need replacing I guess. poo poo, I just spent $1k on a 1991 BMW just for basic repairs. Anyone not a hobbyist wouldn't do that on a car worth $2k...

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Also, Cash For Clunkers killed alot of basic or cars needing just a bit of work.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, but I'm talking about aussieland, no cash for clunkers ever happened here. Cars just disappear if owned by non-enthusiasts when there's nothing rare or special about them. Good ones are saved and locked away, ones with nothing special are just not saved after 20 years.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

gileadexile posted:

Also, Cash For Clunkers killed alot of basic or cars needing just a bit of work.

This poo poo right here. It's like the whole landscape changed after that poo poo went through.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Around here (Minneapolis, MN) the "Mechanics Special Car Bracket" has seen a resurgence. Must be that enough time has passed since Cash for Clunkers that a whole new generation of cars are ready for purchase under two grand. Had been a real bad drought, though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This poo poo right here. It's like the whole landscape changed after that poo poo went through.

:agreed:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

StandardVC10 posted:

You missed on I saw for the first time in literal years, a Dodge Stealth. Being here in Texas and black, it had paint cancer like crazy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Appliance cars in the Northeast rust and aren't replaced.

I do notice that if I go home to VT there are a lot more say, cab-forward Mopar passenger cars than I see around Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Someone took a photos of a Syclone and a GNX that were handed in back in that time :(

• Locked thread