Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Plymouth Horizons. Not surprising, really. This one might only be a local thing but growing up there used to be tons of yellow crew cab long box pickups, usually dodges. I'm guessing they were bought at auction after the City or Province was done with them. They used to be way more common on construction sites too. I only ever see them in farmer's fields now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Saw a gen 1 caravan that looked like it drove right off the showroom floor the other day. No idea how it stayed rust free, probably not from around here.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Speaking of that era, I really miss cars with chrome luggage racks on the trunk.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Probably a lot of rust prone areas. Most people don't maintain their cars and without constant attention you've got about 20-25 years tops before a car is too rusted to fix on the cheap and it gets scrapped.

edit: adding to this, all of the gen 1 explorers are scrapped because the cost of rocker replacement exceeds the value of the car. Almost bought one for $600, looked minty in the ad but when I got there the bolt-on running boards were hiding a vast amount of rust.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Doesn't NZ have weird rules about HP/cylinder restriction and license levels? I was there for a bit and kids were given/bought 80s Japanese 4 bangers and had them for a few months before getting rid of them at blowout prices because they wanted something with performance the moment they got their full license.

Cash for clunkers is a mixed bag. On the one hand it's like you guys are saying, but on the other it managed to get rid of a lot of trucks with frame rust and cars with giant rust holes that people were holding on to because they couldn't get anything at all for them.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I must be getting motorcycles confused with cars or something. All I know is I scored a perfectly good 85 Corolla from some youngin' for $900

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Eat This Glob posted:

Just saw an awd chevy astro sitting in someone's lawn with a for sale sign in the window. Can't remember the last time I saw an astro on the road, much less for sale

There's a few of them here still, I used to drive one. They're awful as work vehicles when you compare the gas mileage and hunger for brake booster parts.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Kurten posted:

vw bugs and buses.

As a kid they were literally the most common vehicles on the road. Even up to the early/mid 90's they were everywhere. Today? I haven't seen one outside of a car show in ages. Every now and then see a bus parked overgrown with weeds in someone's yard, but on the road? Never. This came up the other day when someone mentioned the "slug bug" game kids used to play. What the hell do they play now on road trips? Probably glued to a phone the entire time was our consensus.

Holy poo poo. I remember as a kid that punch buggy/slug bug was actually feasible. It wasn't like crazy common but enough that you'd get a few good hits in on a field trip.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Kurten posted:

In the 70's and early 80's you'd get a hit at least every block or two in the city. Sometimes more. It got ugly. Big bruises on the shoulders, haha

When we were discussing this game the other day, none of us had thought of it in years. Seems like it would be impossible to play today. Remember the license plate game on road trips? They had little coloring book style sheets with the plates of all 50 states you would fill in as you spotted them on road trips. Fun poo poo at the time. I bet they can still play that today? Except again: phones now have entertainment duties I bet.

Has the entire "travel/road trip games" industry been killed by smart phones? How are the pocket-sized magnetic chess manufacturers doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Oh man the only places to still run astros and safaris are legit contractors with money to throw at repairs here. All the shady guys have moved to mostly old Caravans.

• Locked thread